The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...!

+35
nathan
thomh
jelly
Comfort
The Saint
belovedfrosties
broadlandboy
Scrumdown
irnbrew
LondonTiger
BigTrevsbigmac
HammerofThunor
Artful_Dodger
Exiledinborders
offload
bedfordwelsh
markb
JmD
Cyril
winchester
Shifty
RubyGuby
fa0019
kingjohn7
Meflanker
flyhalffactory
lostinwales
gleesonisgod
Breadvan
Metal Tiger
Duty281
Steffan
Rory_Gallagher
wales606
maestegmafia
39 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...! Empty Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...!

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Today I thought Heaslip and Warburton earned two spots in the backrow, who will make the third. 

For me we need a player who can do half what Croft does well in the open play, back support, lineout, and half what Lydiate does well in the tight with tackling and aggressive ball winning work around rucks expoliting the aussie attack and defence around the breakdown.

That man for me would be Warburton. 

With Tipuric at openside we have a fetcher support player and in Warburton and Heaslip we have everything else we need in defence, attack and ball winning.

Great game in some aspects for Crofty, Warburton and Heaslip today...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...! Empty Re: Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...!

Post by wales606 Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 pm

I do tend to agree

I think Croft will start the first test, with Tips or SOB on the bench

If the breakdown going against the Lions, I think Warburton and Tipuric will start test 2

We need a bit more presence at the breakdown - it's a real pity we don't have a fit and on form Gethin Jenkins to play
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...! Empty Re: Lions Backrow Dilema. Its Tipuric or Croft for me...!

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:53 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Today I thought Heaslip and Warburton earned two spots in the backrow, who will make the third. 

For me we need a player who can do half what Croft does well in the open play, back support, lineout, and half what Lydiate does well in the tight with tackling and aggressive ball winning work around rucks expoliting the aussie attack and defence around the breakdown.

That man for me would be Warburton. 

With Tipuric at openside we have a fetcher support player and in Warburton and Heaslip we have everything else we need in defence, attack and ball winning.

Great game in some aspects for Crofty, Warburton and Heaslip today...!

I ask again Maes, are you forgetting someone here?  Someone who actually plays 6?

EDIT: Just saw your answer on the match thread. Fair enough, but I think SOB fits the bill entirely for what you are looking for.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 pm

Tipuric has to start. He has to be in the test XV. There is no other way

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Croft at 6
Tipuric at 7
Heaslip at 8

No other way surely. Let BOD or O'Connell be captain.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 pm

IMO Croft will start the 1st test in the 6 shirt, with Tipuric & Heaslip at 7 and 8 respectively.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Lets see you guys not just post who you want but why...!

This needs opinion and discussion not just a vote on who thinks who. 

Every single backrow forward has merits for their inclusion. THey are all very different styled players.

It is a measure of balance of abilities that will compliment each other that will make things work well in the tests.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Croft - Good at the lineout, great pace, superb strength, a try-scoring threat, and experienced.

Tipuric - A better version of Sam Warburton, and he's in better form.

Heaslip - Played well on this tour so far and deserves a starting place, though it is very tight between him and Faletau.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Warbs will start, he's the skipper, end of. A dilemma for the coaches alright...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:Croft - Good at the lineout, great pace, superb strength, a try-scoring threat, and experienced.

Heaslip - Played well on this tour so far and deserves a starting place, though it is very tight between him and Faletau.

Erm

EDIT: The comment about Tipuric is strange too, it is as if you assume Tipuric and Warburton are similar players with similar strengths. They are both a very different style of player. One of more offensive, the other defensive.

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 pm

I thought Croft's huge advantage was his skill at the lineout? Didn't really show it today. Again he didn't do much at the breakdown proved that he is just a luxury player. I'd rather have Lydiate tbh.

Warburton again wasn't up to too much. He was good mind you but not in the form that Tipuric has atm.

Still 6.SOB 7.Tipuric 8.Heaslip for me. Probably going to be Croft, Warbs, Heaslip.

I would have liked if they had tried SOB at 8 at some stage.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Croft - Good at the lineout, great pace, superb strength, a try-scoring threat, and experienced.

Erm

Or power, whichever word you prefer.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Well apart from the fact strength and power are two different things, Croft is really not a player I would associate with either at blindside. The likes of Ferris, Kaino, Alberts and Higginbotham are guys I would see as big powerful units at 6.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Well if you want more presence at the breakdown you could always start with Cole instead of Jones - just saying like..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Croft / Tips / Heaslip is lightweight to say the least

Rucks/Mauls will be consistently lost with that backrow, and lets not kid ourselves the game will be win or lost in those key areas

Warburton will start and he did enough in the two games against the only quality sides we have played most deffo the only option at 7
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:31 am

Croft was competing at a lot of rucks today, slowing down ball, rucking out and being a general nuisance in the tight as well as stealing a lineout. 
However sometimes it seems that people see the one run he did out wide (in which he burned the Tah's backline to score) and presume that was all he did in the whole game.

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 am

Id like to see 6.Lydiate, 7.Tipuric, 8.SOB given a go in the next match. I really think they could do well together.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:52 am

Warburton will play. We saw that today.

Croft is also so important.

In the end the lineout is just that much more secure with croft. If we can dominate lineout then we go a long way to winning the series. Croft is miles ahead of everyone else in that department.

He's as tall as jones and O'Connell but just over 100kg and only requires one lifter. It means it gives us disguise in attack and speed in trying to pickpocket AUS ball.

What a weapon to have out wide too and with AUS very strong in the backs who will make line breaks we need people who can chase them down.

Lydiate, not full guns blazing so for me at 6 it's croft or o'brien.

If we play tipuric and warburton you lose that lineout.

I think it will be croft warburton Heaslip and o'brien as benching cover and I think it should be too.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 am

8 - Heaslip (Faletau)
7 - Warburton (Tipuric)
6 - SOB (Croft/Lydiate)thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:14 am

I find it difficult to understand when posters state that Lydiate is not playing well when both matches has seen him been top of the stats in what a blindside flanker primarily has to do..... and not just top of the stats (tackling and support play) but a country mile ahead.

I would suggest and hope that we have

8. Heaslip  - Toby is too passive as a tackler
7. Warbs - Played really well against the two best teams that have been against us
6. Lydiate - Balances the other two, great understanding with Warburton, and the "chopper" Lydiate then "turnover" Warburton in my mind is the best combo in the NH

However I can see Mr G selecting Croft at blindside and Toby at 8
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:19 am

flyhalffactory wrote:I find it difficult to understand when posters state that Lydiate is not playing well when both matches has seen him been top of the stats in what a blindside flanker primarily has to do..... and not just top of the stats (tackling and support play) but a country mile ahead.

I would suggest and hope that we have

8. Heaslip  - Toby is too passive as a tackler
7. Warbs - Played really well against the two best teams that have been against us
6. Lydiate - Balances the other two, great understanding with Warburton, and the "chopper" Lydiate then "turnover" Warburton in my mind is the best combo in the NH

However I can see Mr G selecting Croft at blindside and Toby at 8

Not just stats back up his candidacy. He has an immense presence closing the door on something the Waratah's exploited today until he came on.

With Croft in midfield and heasilp in the route 1 channel there was no one to help Warburton defend the rucks bar front five forwards.

Croft is too much of a glory player. There for the tries, the odd tackle or penalty win. But not enough of the graft work.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 am

O'Brien has been the form player of the tour for me, he is simply awesome.  How the hell people aren't picking him is beyond me.  He's the first guy I would pick. 

I'd go with Heaslip at 8 because he plays well off O'Brien, so then it's a straight shoot out between Tipuric or Warburton. 

If I went for form I'd go for Tipuric, but maybe Warburton to start with Tipuric to come on in the last 25 minutes? Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 am

Croft. Lydiate and SOB are all worthy of the 6 jersey on equal merit IMO. It just comes down to how Gatland wants to play it👍thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 am

Heaslip was poor today. He cost a try by failing to control from the base of the scrum and was relatively inconsipcuos as a carrier.

Gatland has created a dilemma for himself by making Waburton captain when the backrow was so heavily contested and wide open. Now everytime Warburton plays he is under additional scrutiny and if things dont go so well in the first Test then this will become a major talking point. Its already an unwelcome distraction which could have been avoided.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 am

RubyGuby wrote:Croft. Lydiate and SOB are all worthy of the 6 jersey on equal merit IMO. It just comes down to how Gatland wants to play it👍thumbsup

100% agree
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:27 am

winchester wrote:Heaslip was poor today. He cost a try by failing to control from the base of the scrum and was relatively inconsipcuos as a carrier.

Gatland has created a dilemma for himself by making Waburton captain when the backrow was so heavily contested and wide open. Now everytime Warburton plays he is under additional scrutiny and if things dont go so well in the first Test then this will become a major talking point. Its already an unwelcome distraction which could have been avoided.

How?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:31 am

The unwelcome distraction is there because so called fans are happy to eulogise about a 6 hiding on the wing and a prop running in trys through paper defences as opposed to supporting their captain who continues to consistently do the hard graft. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:41 am

Lions spirit is at an all-time low on this forum.

It just seems to be posters insulting or criticising players from other nations for point-scoring purposes.

Oh dear.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:52 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Lions spirit is at an all-time low on this forum.

It just seems to be posters insulting or criticising players from other nations for point-scoring purposes.

Oh dear.

Well said Cyril - time to get behind our Captain and his team thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:53 am

Agreed, Ruby. You should get behind everybody not just pick and choose your favourites and have a go at players from other nations.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Agreed, Ruby. You should get behind everybody not just pick and choose your favourites and have a go at players from other nations.

Someone has to get in a draw the line at the criticism of our Captain Cyril - In all honesty I'm fed up with it while they eulogise about cameo performances. The Tests are not the place for the cameo boys and I'm sure you agree with that thumbsup - Cometh the hour we will need the hard men to stand up

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:59 am

Ruby, I guess some are also sick with the constant criticism of Farrell (who has been fine) and Croft (who some people really don't watch properly).

Which prop were you have a dig at? Vunipola, I guess.

You need to sort out how you do those quotes too.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:03 am

C'mon Cyril gte that Lions spirit back - we have some tough calls to make - that's life - Last night we had posters saying 1/2 p isn't an attacking threat thumbsupthumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:03 am

Selection is obviously going to be a hot topic on Lions tour. Just because people have different opinions on who should be selected or who is in/out of form or performed well/poorly in a match does not mean they are not behind the Lions or are being selfish to their own nation.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:20 am

O'Brien doesn't play for one match and suddenly everyone forgets how dominant he has been. He is the best option for 6, he offers everything that Croft offers in loose play minus a tiny bit of speed, and also brings more power to the tackle area.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:20 am

Please ignore the troll guys... Lets keep the thread on backrow rugby...! He has been reported and will likely serve another ban.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:23 am

JmD wrote:O'Brien doesn't play for one match and suddenly everyone forgets how dominant he has been. He is the best option for 6, he offers everything that Croft offers in loose play minus a tiny bit of speed, and also brings more power to the tackle area.

I think as said above everyone has a good case for test spot, I wouldn't discount SOB, I would though see him as the most qualified bench backrower as he has the most experience in all positions rather than just one or two.

That said I do not think he is the best in any one position and therefor I would look at other options.

Also I am more persuaded by the way the Lions are being forced to play due to the diversity in styles in the backrowers on tour. That maybe it should be looked at as which three players compliment each other best whilst carrying out the rolls needed.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:25 am

RubyGuby wrote:C'mon Cyril gte that Lions spirit back - we have some tough calls to make - that's life - Last night we had posters saying 1/2 p isn't an attacking threat thumbsupthumbsup
Agreed. Of course HP is an attacking threat. He just hasn't always shown it in the current gameplan. Played well today. OK

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:26 am

That's more like it - Nice one Cyril Alethumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:28 am

SOB, Tipuric & Heaslip would be my backrow, but I can't see Gatland not starting Warburton.  I also think Gatland will go with Croft for what he adds at the lineout (which has probably been the least smoothest aspect of our play across the warm up games), one of the first things on Gatland's checklist and a core of his gameplan is dominance at the set piece.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:31 am

I certainly don't think Heaslip has nailed on the test jersey after today, out of the 3 starting I would say Croft nailed his place the most, well that and we know Warburton will start but done enough today to warrant it.

For me it would be Croft Faletau Warburton
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 am

If you think that there are better open sides than Warburton on tour and better blind sides than him, well that's perfectly reasonable. I may think that way too.

However, If you think that Sam Warburton won't wear the 7 shirt next Saturday and captain the side......well, you are away with the pixies !

Injury aside - it is a certainty.

I happen to think he'll start Croft and Faletau to complete the backrow.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 am

Croft - Warburton or Tipuric - Faletau

Other than offering more at line-out and more try scoring potential than the other options one of Croft's advantages is that he will still be strong after 80 minutes.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 am

Exiled,

Even as a huge Lydiate fan I agree with you on most things but one area where Dan wouldn't let you down is on the fitness front he is a machine and would more than be going strong after 80 minutes.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 am

+1

Only thing I would really add is that Heaslips ball control at the breakdown/set piece is far better than Faletau... despite the obvious scrum cockup today.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 am

Personally, I think O'Brien has been the form back row of the tour so far.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 am

It's amazing how may posters' form back row players are from their team. Funny coincidence that.

Except the Scottish.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 am

HammerofThunor wrote:It's amazing how may posters' form back row players are from their team. Funny coincidence that.

Except the Scottish.

Bit like the way you are arguing for England players to be selected in nearly every post.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:27 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:It's amazing how may posters' form back row players are from their team. Funny coincidence that.

Except the Scottish.

Bit like the way you are arguing for England players to be selected in nearly every post.

Any examples?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:45 am

I am getting a bad feeling about the back-row selection after reading the calls for so many mobile attack minded combos............. the Aussie pack will be licking their lips

Scrum/Rucks/Mauls/Set-Piece are going to be the key areas
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next