The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions

+4
king_carlos
Looseheaded
Tiger/Chief
8 posters

Go down

If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions Empty If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions

Post by Tiger/Chief Sat 20 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

Then the other teams must have some exceptional talent!! Both are tearing up the Bath v Tigers game!! Litterelly men on a mission!!!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions Empty Re: If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions

Post by Looseheaded Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Not watching the Bath game but if Croft finds himself on the plane then i worry about Gatland's mental health

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions Empty Re: If Tuilagi and Croft arn't good enough to be Lions

Post by 123456789 Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:24 pm

Well in Tuilagi's case there's Jonathan Davies and Brian O'Driscoll and Croft's competing with Brown, Robshaw, Wood, Warburton, O'Mahony and O'Brien

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:34 pm

We'll probably see 5 flankers travel of those I'd say Tipuric, O'Brien, Warburton and Robshaw are the front runners. That leaves Wood, Lydiate, Brown, O'Mahony, Jones and Croft competing for a place.

If Gatland wants a differing option in the squad then I could understand Croft taking that space as Wood, Lydiate and Brown all offer similar option to what you could view Robshaw or Warburton offering on the blindside. I.e. great defence and ground work but not a huge amount in attack. Croft would give a great line out option in the back row along with a big work rate which allows you to pick two brutes in the second row if wanted. He's also got real pace which could be useful in matching the Aussie backs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:We'll probably see 5 flankers travel of those I'd say Tipuric, O'Brien, Warburton and Robshaw are the front runners. That leaves Wood, Lydiate, Brown, O'Mahony, Jones and Croft competing for a place.

If Gatland wants a differing option in the squad then I could understand Croft taking that space as Wood, Lydiate and Brown all offer similar option to what you could view Robshaw or Warburton offering on the blindside. I.e. great defence and ground work but not a huge amount in attack. Croft would give a great line out option in the back row along with a big work rate which allows you to pick two brutes in the second row if wanted. He's also got real pace which could be useful in matching the Aussie backs.

I'd say I'd take Jones based on versatility and experience, the only thing close to making Croft a 'versatile' player is the fact he spends half the match standing out in the winger's position. Against Aus we'll need fierce breakdown work to gain quick ball and slow theirs down, Croft is not the man for the job

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

Brown cover Six, seven and Eight and certainly doesn't lack experience, he's played in both the British leagues and already knows a lot of the players. He along with Warburton, Barclay, Tipuric and O'brien should travel in my opinion although Robshaw probably will which means one of the others won't be selected.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:47 pm

Tuilagi will tour, Croft probably won't though he has the advantage of being a previous Lion (and a star when he did play for them) and lethal on hard tracks
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:54 pm

123456789 wrote:Brown cover Six, seven and Eight and certainly doesn't lack experience, he's played in both the British leagues and already knows a lot of the players. He along with Warburton, Barclay, Tipuric and O'brien should travel in my opinion although Robshaw probably will which means one of the others won't be selected.

But Ryan Jones covers 4,5,6 and 8 Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 20 Apr 2013, 5:05 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
king_carlos wrote:We'll probably see 5 flankers travel of those I'd say Tipuric, O'Brien, Warburton and Robshaw are the front runners. That leaves Wood, Lydiate, Brown, O'Mahony, Jones and Croft competing for a place.

I'd say I'd take Jones based on versatility and experience, the only thing close to making Croft a 'versatile' player is the fact he spends half the match standing out in the winger's position. Against Aus we'll need fierce breakdown work to gain quick ball and slow theirs down, Croft is not the man for the job

Jones' versatility certainly works in his favour or a Lions tour. A players ability to slip into other positions even if it's only for the 20 mins of a tour match can be crucial in allowing the coaches to reduce injury and get everyone significant game time - look at how Bowe was used in various positions in 09.

I didn't say Croft was versatile as he can play 6 and could probably cover second row as a replacement if injury required through emergency. He does however offer a different sort of player to the other options with allows the coaches to try different game plans and alter the make up of the pack if wanted. Also a back row player with his pace can be lethal if well used and there is no other forward who offers this as he does.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

If Croft is discounted then Jamie 'Four More Years But I'm a Doctor' Roberts shouldn't either.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 20 Apr 2013, 7:22 pm

wales606 wrote:
123456789 wrote:Brown cover Six, seven and Eight and certainly doesn't lack experience, he's played in both the British leagues and already knows a lot of the players. He along with Warburton, Barclay, Tipuric and O'brien should travel in my opinion although Robshaw probably will which means one of the others won't be selected.

But Ryan Jones covers 4,5,6 and 8 Very Happy

4 and 5 are the same and Jones is no where near good enough at second-row to be considered for the Lions in that position, he is way behind Launchbury, O'Connell, Ryan, Parling, Evans, Jones, Gray, Hines and Hamilton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Thu 02 May 2013, 10:34 pm

Got this one right at least!!!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Thu 02 May 2013, 11:06 pm

Dang, I was proved wrong. Damn you Gats Sad

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 May 2013, 5:45 am

Looseheaded wrote:Dang, I was proved wrong. Damn you Gats Sad

ah but a wise man once said:

Looseheaded wrote:..... if Croft finds himself on the plane then i worry about Gatland's mental health

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down