The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Old and New

+18
Noshankingtonite
oldparwin
pedro
oldshanker
Redrage
puligny
Hibbz
LondonJonnyO
navyblueshorts
Mercurio
drive4show
SmithersJones
Maverick
Davie
Sway
Adam D
McLaren
Doc
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

606 Old and New Empty 606 Old and New

Post by Doc Mon 09 May 2011, 10:10 am

Well the old 606 is about to close, and thankfully most of us moved over here to carry on with some decent debate, and of course a bit of banter and fun. I believe we've also got plenty more new contributors since this site opened and have only seen a couple of wum posts, so all in all a much better place to be.

There are still a few of the guy's on 606 who are packing their bags, but have still not opted to transfer over here, YET. I would imagine that most of them will, and people like Diggers for example have said they'll be looking in here from time to time etc, and of course Kwini is still playing hard ball.

So what are people's views so far? is this a better place to be or do you prefer the old place where there's no organisation, wums posting, mods who don't have a clue, and an a massive amount of posts all about the same subject, for example there are at least 10 posts about Seve which makes no sense. thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

606 Old and New Empty Re: 606 Old and New

Post by McLaren Mon 09 May 2011, 10:15 am

I was wondering when to leave the old 606. I wonder if the decision would be taken out of your hands should you write and article exposing a list of those who have taken out super injunctions?

I would say the chat on old 606 was more about the pro game, on here we seem to talk more about our own game. Not sure what is better and both sites have provided good discussions. I just hope we can get as many people as possible to move across.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 09 May 2011, 10:22 am

Doc wrote:Well the old 606 is about to close, and thankfully most of us moved over here to carry on with some decent debate, and of course a bit of banter and fun. I believe we've also got plenty more new contributors since this site opened and have only seen a couple of wum posts, so all in all a much better place to be.

There are still a few of the guy's on 606 who are packing their bags, but have still not opted to transfer over here, YET. I would imagine that most of them will, and people like Diggers for example have said they'll be looking in here from time to time etc, and of course Kwini is still playing hard ball.

So what are people's views so far? is this a better place to be or do you prefer the old place where there's no organisation, wums posting, mods who don't have a clue, and an a massive amount of posts all about the same subject, for example there are at least 10 posts about Seve which makes no sense. thumbsup

I take offence at that.

There are plenty of mods on here that dont have a clue.

Take Davie for example.....

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Mon 09 May 2011, 11:25 am

Doc wrote:So what are people's views so far? is this a better place to be or do you prefer the old place where there's no organisation, wums posting, mods who don't have a clue, and an a massive amount of posts all about the same subject, for example there are at least 10 posts about Seve which makes no sense. thumbsup

As far as I'm concerned there's no contest, this forum urinates on the old 606 from a great height, and your right about the number of articles on the same subject, if you look above Diggers 'good bye' thread there are 13 seperate posts about Seve, all with no more than a handfull of comments and none of them a patch on Mavericks tribute that was made a sticky. As someone who never realy got into posting on the old 606 I don't have any of the nostalgia that other poeple may have so my view is perhaps slightly biased, but for me at least this is a far better place to be
thumbsup

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 09 May 2011, 12:05 pm

In all fairness I used to get exasparated on the old 606, due to mods and the amount of posts on the same subject, so no nostalgia for me as I was thinking of binning it anyway. The only reason I didn't was because of some of the people who spoke a bit of sense, and was also a good place to pick up tips etc.

As Mac has mentioned earlier, we spend more time on here discussing our own game and failings, and in some cases successes, which I think is great. Plenty of encouragement from most posters when things are going wrong and getting better etc.

We do also discuss the Pro game on all the tours on here which is great and we have plenty of debate about rules, cheating, handicaps, equipment and a bit of craque. A great place to ask for advice and get bombarded with plenty from all, and where best to ask about courses or locations for holidays you may be thinking of having. Better to find the right courses before you get there and not be dissapointed.

So for me, I like it here and sod the other place. Quiet on here at the moment but plenty on holiday and in the sick room. Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 12:25 pm

I think it is possible that the discussion of the pro tours will also increase here one 606 shuts for good

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 09 May 2011, 12:28 pm

Have to say I much prefer this new site to old dying 606, so much so that I stopped posting on old 606 about 2months ago maybe more, got bored of the repetition of the same thread being created by several posters, the only reason I stayed on there so long was some of the guys that posted made sense and had good debates but thankfully those users are already on here and there are many more new ones on here talking sense and also accepting that sometimes their opinions differ and are divided but do not resort to much of what we see on the old slight of digging someone out or insulting them personally because they don't agree.

So no comparison what so ever I will continue to be a regular now thanks to v2 and if wanted I'll continue the posts about tour events and up the ante for majors and WGC's

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 09 May 2011, 12:51 pm

Davie wrote:I think it is possible that the discussion of the pro tours will also increase here one 606 shuts for good

I hope you're right, Davie, as that's one area where the old 606 was better, albeit that that was pretty much solely down to Kwini's weekly PGA thread.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Yes SJ - although Mav has been doing a sterling job starting similar threads for the Euro and PGA events here, the minute-by-minute commenting during the events somehow hasn't transfered over here yet. It's not just kwini but the likes of venice and princedrac over there that keep those threads turning during the event - I hope that will continue here once 606 dies

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 09 May 2011, 1:05 pm

There is no contest for me, this place wins hands down.

In golfing terms, the old 606 had the feel of a muni, with loads of people coming and going with lots of strangers that would pop up, write a couple of comments then never be seen again. This place however feels more like a private members club where everyone knows each other and because we are closer to the mods, action can be taken if necessary to ban wums etc. Thankfully, apart from the little spat with Hibbz last week, there are very few issues on here and long may that continue.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 1:14 pm

I'm glad everyone feels this way.

Be warned I'm sure we WILL get some WUM action once 606 finally expires. Myself and the other admins and mods will be on a state of alert for some days after 606 closes - I'm sure we will get some over here.

Everyone will start with a clean slate and a certain amount of lively debate WILL be allowed. We will probably get the Tiger-obsessed (particularly when the TPC and Majors come around). Who knows, we may even get Simba Wink

What I can PROMISE is that we will split and merge threads accordingly to avoid duplication and we WILL make sure that there is no abuse hurled around. We need to be agreed on what is actually WUMming (I'm not going to ban someone straight away if they come over and tell everyone repeatedly how great Tiger is) - what we WILL concentrate on is making sure no one is bullied or abused

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon 09 May 2011, 1:20 pm

I prefer this place as Diggers doesn't visit - or, if he does, he's silent which makes a good Diggers.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 May 2011, 1:27 pm

drive4show wrote:There is no contest for me, this place wins hands down.

In golfing terms, the old 606 had the feel of a muni, with loads of people coming and going with lots of strangers that would pop up, write a couple of comments then never be seen again. This place however feels more like a private members club where everyone knows each other and because we are closer to the mods, action can be taken if necessary to ban wums etc. Thankfully, apart from the little spat with Hibbz last week, there are very few issues on here and long may that continue.

In some ways this sort of atmosphere is something I do not like about V2, I would much prefer if I had the chance to debate with new posters more regularly. At some point the people who run this sight need to ensure we get some new users. Not just former 606 posters. Without more new users even a few people leaving will see the tumbleweed come rolling in.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 1:35 pm

We are always looking to promote to new members Mac - we already use facebook, twitter and there is a 606v2 channel on YouTube (don't think we have much golf related there yet but that could be remedied)

It's not easy thinking of ways to promote the forum and any new ideas will be galdly received - just don't think that we are in any way complacent about it. The admins are always discussing new ways of getting members in - but the effect of "word of mouth" cannot be overlooked. We encourage everyone to pass the word so that your scenario is avoided if at all possible

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 09 May 2011, 1:38 pm

Mac

I think over time we will lots of new posters coming online, some from 606 and some that just happen to stumble across the site. Agree with what you say though, without new blood things would get a bit stale on here.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 09 May 2011, 1:47 pm

So far, I much prefer here. The original 606 for me was massively let down a) by mods and b) the stupid post bot which was good enough to tell you that you'd included a banned word but thick enough not to spit back what that word was mad.

I don't mind WUMs as long as they don't become too prevalent. Most of them couldn't argue their way out of a wet paper bag so as long as other users are allowed to trash them (without getting too rude/personal), let them come.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 09 May 2011, 1:59 pm

Go for it navy! boxing

Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 09 May 2011, 2:08 pm

McLaren wrote:

In some ways this sort of atmosphere is something I do not like about V2, I would much prefer if I had the chance to debate with new posters more regularly. At some point the people who run this sight need to ensure we get some new users. Not just former 606 posters. Without more new users even a few people leaving will see the tumbleweed come rolling in.

Is this in the hope that you find someone who agrees with your political and retro-golfing agendas Mac?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 09 May 2011, 2:43 pm

I'll tell you what, I was willing to let this go despite an extra unnecessary swipe from some bloke called graeme (I know abuse by someone called Graeme. Whatever next? Keith coming to snap the wings off my airfix models?) but you felt the need to again assert your online authority and suggest I'd been put in my place.

It wasn't Davie's remark about fires that annoyed me, I'm not offended at all by someone making a joke/lighthearted remark about a golf course I'm never going to get to play, it was the fact that it came straight after I made what I felt to be a perfectly acceptable answer to someone's question about which courses in the top one hundred you couldn't play. I felt that it made my comment less valid (and yes as a new/rare poster I probably am over sensitive and looking for some tenure/support).

Then when I'm told it wasn't a joke when quite clearly it was designed to give people a laugh and is followed up by two more little wise cracks amongst the in crowd is it any wonder I get somewhat defensive/aggressive?

It won't stop me reading the website because I do enjoy it and I absolutely adore making/watching my picks in the fantasy golf but I'll certainly think twice before posting again.

Oh and Davie I'm more than happy to accept your olive branch but would you not think it was a slightly risky offering given your location at the time?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 May 2011, 3:11 pm

Hibbz

Lets not get into new/old/more posts/less posts type comparisons of users. Everyone should of course think a little about posts but more importantly all users should feel compelled to offer and opinion. If we start creating hierarchy of posters this will never happen. As far as I am concerned I will judge every post from the same starting point of respect for what that person might have to say. yes I may disagree after reading but based only on that post and not what perceived level of authority the poster has on this site.

So please keep posting because as I said earlier I look forward to new posters and opinions.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 09 May 2011, 3:13 pm

McLaren wrote:Hibbz

Lets not get into new/old/more posts/less posts type comparisons of users. Everyone should of course think a little about posts but more importantly all users should feel compelled to offer and opinion. If we start creating hierarchy of posters this will never happen. As far as I am concerned I will judge every post from the same starting point of respect for what that person might have to say. yes I may disagree after reading but based only on that post and not what perceived level of authority the poster has on this site.

So please keep posting because as I said earlier I look forward to new posters and opinions.

Even mine?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 May 2011, 3:24 pm

Yes LJ, I always think that when people have to take that little bit more time to type or write something, compared to the spoken word, there is the chance that even the most loathsome individual may have used enough consideration to come up with at least a little sense.

That is not to say you are loathsome, far from it, but shows the lower end of the scale from which I will give some time. I think a fair system as long as I am allowed to shred the more ludicrous posts. This is where I might find some of your musings.

As for pushing my political and golfing agenda, I do try at any opportunity.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Mon 09 May 2011, 3:50 pm

Hibbz, this is coming from the the perspective of another new poster and is intended as nothing more than advice

Having read through the thread you mention, at the time the comments were being made, and again just now, I have to say that rather than looking like you were being unfairly treated by the 'in crowd' you come across as someone who was going all out to cause an argument and take offence where none was meant - I'm not saying that was your intent, that's just how it comes across to someone that had no involvement in the thread and has done nothing more than read through it a couple of times. The point is that as this is the internet and not real life it's very easy to take peoples comments the wrong way as it's a lot harder to discern things like sarcasm and whether or not a comment was meant to provoke nothing more than a smile, as you said yourself, you are probably being a little over sensitive.
As for looking for some tenure/support - well what that really boils down to is respect, and that's not something that's given out it's something that's earned. Look at it like this, some of the posters on here have been talking to each other for months or even years, some of them have met up in real life, so they are bound to have more of a connection with each other than they are with someone who has posted only a handful of times. Your going to find that, no matter what forum you are posting on, people will wait to see what kind of contribution you are going to make (valid or otherwise) before you really become accepted. And don't forget, most of the old guard on here come from the old 606 which as we all know was riven with WUM's so they are probably more guarded around new posters without even realising it.

I for one hope that you can put all this behind you and continue to post, after all, the people on this board (and the forum in general) seem like a decent crowd and you must agree with that to some extent or you wouldn't of signed up and started posting in the first place ?

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 4:02 pm

Hibbz - thanks for taking the time to explain your side of things. There are parts I understand and parts I disagree with but the offering of the olive branch was genuine and well-intended (and is still there should you wish to take it - it's not even alight right now after heavy rain the last two nights)

On the subject of the fire in case anyone is interested, there was very heavy rain both Friday and Saturday nights and another night of showers last night. The fire is under control but becuse of the nature of the fire, getting into the peat and essentially smouldering below the surface it is likely there will be some fire service crews in attendance pretty much the whole summer now!

As for the little misunderstanding, it seems as if there is confusion over the difference between "Jokes" and "light hearted asides".

I read back again in the light of your explanation and what I saw was the following

1) You mentioned the slim chance of "joe public" getting a tee time at Swinley Forest
2) Being approx 2 miles away from Swinley Forest at the time, and being able to smell the paet burning I made a light hearted comment (not what I would call a "joke") about it being a hot property
3) You misread my light hearted remark as a joke at the expense of either the property or the people who may have been endangered

And so it went on...

You may have felt I was out of order but I didn't (and I don't think others did either) and so your request (almost a demand) for an apology didn't go down well with me.

Even now, coming back to explain yourself you seem to be taking an agressive approach (ridiculing the name Graham of all things!). This is what makes you appear somewhat prickly and perhaps what triggered Sway's comments about respect - and earning it, not expecting it.

The olive branch is still there. Whether you choose to take it is up to you

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 09 May 2011, 4:13 pm

Come Hibbz, move on from this and join in with the chat/banter/debate that goes on here. We ARE a decent bunch of guys and we DO welcome newcomers because if it's just the same old faces, it gets a bit stale. We need and welcome new posters with their own opinions.

All we ask is that you take into account that a lot of us have been posting on both here since it's inception and the old 606 and as has been pointed out, many of us have actually met up and therefore we know each other on a personal level. So there is bound to be a bit of pisstaking between us from time to time and also a tendency to close ranks when an 'outsider' starts having a go. But keep posting, give us a fair crack of the whip and hopefully you'll accept us in the same manner we are prepared to accept you.

thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 09 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Been away and not caught up with the spat - so if it helps everyone to move on - I think this site is a big improvement. Pity we seem to have lost contributions from Lee Westwood etc, but I am generally pleased with the debate and banter. Long may it continue.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 09 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Hibbz, listen to uncle D4S and you won't go far wrong, and Sway gives some good advice there as well. Welcome aboard both thumbsup

Puligny i would think it would be a good idea if Davie tweeted Lee and told him where we are, the same for Zane etc. Pass on the invite to all of them who tweet and tell them we can sort out all their problems 🤦

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 May 2011, 4:42 pm

I already tweeted both Lee and MidgetMac when we first opened and Lee even replied but suggested that he was only interested in the old 606 because it was the BBC. I don't expect either of them to come over (sadly)

Zane has already joined and contributed though and while he did say he'd be an infrequent visitor because of his EuroPro schedule, he'd still pop in to say hello from time to time

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 09 May 2011, 4:53 pm

It is early days but I think this forum has the potential to be much better than the old one. It has been said already but the moderation on here is much better and it allows a better standard of discussion. We are still a little shy on numbers but that may change soon, the weekly tournament threads could do with it as they sometimes pitter out.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 09 May 2011, 5:13 pm

Thank you for your olive branch Davie. I will grab it with both hands. Oh and I am prickly, picky and uptight but as an avid reader I wouldn't say I was alone in that on here.

Besides at least I spelt graeme's name correctly. Prickle prickle.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 09 May 2011, 6:04 pm

I think I prefer things on here, although for me it is a close run thing.

I enjoy the wummery and the put downs that follow, but can't hack the numerous articles on a single subject on 606.

However, I still can't get v2 up at work, my companies fault, not v2's!

As one of the group who has met up in real life, the one I next want to meet is Mac!! He appears to have changed from a fire breathing, hairy legged braggart into a thought provoking, often apologetic well rounded person.

I wonder what happened?

kiss
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 09 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Therapy?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Mon 09 May 2011, 7:17 pm

oldshanker wrote:As one of the group who has met up in real life, the one I next want to meet is Mac!! He appears to have changed from a fire breathing, hairy legged braggart into a thought provoking, often apologetic well rounded person.

I wonder what happened?

kiss

Oldshanker, LJ is indeed correct, I have it on good authority that Mac is a recent attendee of the Doak rehabilitation centre, where he participated in a series of workshops including planting trees on golf courses and caring for small stray dogs. It is an expearience that affected him so profoundly that he is now a reformed character!

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 09 May 2011, 7:51 pm

Hibbz - someone once told me you can get a nasty poke in the eye with an olive branch!! Not on here though I am sure.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 09 May 2011, 8:01 pm

Shanker

My demeanour seems very closely correlated with the number of posts from LJ and Super realist. Sad
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 09 May 2011, 8:39 pm

Thank you to those moderating and contributing to this site. Great effort guys! Enjoy reading.

I like discussing the pro tours and less my own game. Probably because it's too embarassing.

Imo wum's are welcome here. Nobody forces you to reply them. Only persistent wum's will continue posting if they are ignored.

Also, I think many of us are frequent readers, and less frequent posters. Don't judge by quantity of posts. Personally I can't spend the amount of time required to keep up with some of you guys.

Comparing 606v2 to the old 606 I'm a bit old fashioned as I kind of like the simple graphics, narrow layout etc. on the old 606. Made it very accessible. It's easier to read than this wider layout.

I'll for sure keep on reading/posting.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 09 May 2011, 10:09 pm

Mac - I'm not so sure.

I think you have mellowed from the angry young man of last year.

Mind you, that LJ can wind people up......shh....he's still here somewhere. SR seems to be moving in to politics.....hope he manages to keep his nose out of the trough. You know how those politicians love a bean feast.

Look Out! :run1:
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 09 May 2011, 10:21 pm

Mac
Have not heard you quote Doak since being on this new site.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 10 May 2011, 11:00 am

je suis la incognito
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 10 May 2011, 11:13 am

oldshanker wrote:Mac - I'm not so sure.

I can change that.

EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE FORCED TO USE A CHIPPER AROUND THE GREENS. Whistle

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 10 May 2011, 12:47 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
oldshanker wrote:Mac - I'm not so sure.

I can change that.

EVERY PLAYER SHOULD BE FORCED TO USE A CHIPPER AROUND THE GREENS. Whistle

And EVERY new course should be built with buggy paths Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 11 May 2011, 10:05 am

And have a drive-through fast-food restaurant in the carpark of each new club. I think that would tie in just nicely with all the fat b@stards and old people and raspberry ripples using the buggies king
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 11 May 2011, 10:07 am

Mac isn't biting... We may have to up the stakes here.

All cat owners should be forced to take a dog on the golf course with them.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 11 May 2011, 10:43 am

All male cat-owners are homosexual (or, at the very least, bi-curious).

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 11 May 2011, 10:54 am

Aha! I have it!

The Old Course should be dug up, clay put down and then returfed as an Essex Parkland type course with lots of immature trees and a water hazard on every hole.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 11 May 2011, 5:32 pm

Aaaargh!!!! I can't stand any more. :run2:

What the heck is a raspberry ripple??

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 11 May 2011, 6:25 pm

Think rhyming. And paralympics
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 11 May 2011, 6:43 pm

Ahh! Oh! Rolling Eyes

The fact that Mac is not biting, only goes to support my theory.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 11 May 2011, 6:51 pm

I have an alternate theory. Mac has been abducted and an alien replica put on his place
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 11 May 2011, 7:09 pm

So this is Fake Mac! Shocked

It's not a very good copy is it!

I think I prefer the fake rather than the genuine article.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum