The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top prospects

+9
huw
TopHat24/7
Strongback
Lumbering_Jack
Steffan
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Mr Bounce
BlakkMamba
13 posters

Go down

Top prospects Empty Top prospects

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 19 Jun - 19:16

Who are your guys picks for top UK prospects?

The point of view I want to take on this is where the next generation of British world champions is coming from excluding people like Groves and Murray who are already challenging at that level.

One of the obvious ones for discussion is Chris Eubank Jr.  He has quick hands and puts together some nice punches, but a fundamental lack of power is going to cost him at the highest level. I could see him getting to European level and maybe picking up a world belt if he is carefully managed - don't think he will achieve what Chris Eubank Sr. did though.

I think Frankie Gavin against Denton Vassell will answer some questions about whether either of these is likely to go on to the biggest stage.  I have to say Gavin was highly touted when he turned pro, but from what I've seen of him he hasn't adjusted well to the pro game.

Kevin Satchell is a good little boxer, but again i think lack of power will let him down as he gets a bit further along in his career.

Carl Frampton - looks a great prospect.  I'm pretty concerned he has gone over to Warren, but he has plenty of skills, and I've no doubt Warren will be able to pilot him to a WBO title belt.

I've liked the look of Khalid Yhafai, he looks like he has a decent punch on him too.  Granted he has only been blowing over tomato cans but he is making good progress as far as I can see.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Top prospects Empty Re: Top prospects

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 19 Jun - 20:26

Eubank Jr is half-decent but has no power & he's being carefully matched. I see him struggling at Euro-level.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 19 Jun - 20:27

Eubank Jr isn't going to make world level and is struggling to look good at domestic level

Top prospects;

Hughie Fury, much better than his cousin was at this stage f his development. Uses his height an reach well, good jab and is still only 18. He has been very active and can be moved along now

Billy Joe Saunders, looked very flashy so far and pretty much shown that he is a genuine threat to all of the British trio now and can continue his development as he progressed

Callum Smith, long touted as the most talented of the smith family and all of those won a British title at least so you'd expect Callum to go on further

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 19 Jun - 20:35

According to Mcguigan Frampton has not signed with Warren. His next fight will be co-promoted between Barry's company and Frank but his fights after that will be exclusively with Barry. What this means in reality is anyone's guess but like you I would have concerns about him being too close to Frank as I rate Carl and would hate to see him stuck in WBO purgatory.

One guy who could make an impact is Frank Buglioni. Again he iswith Warren but has an exciting style, big punch and also looks to have a bit of charisma about him, if he can get out of the black hole that is boxnation he could have the ability to cross over and become a star.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 19 Jun - 20:40

Is Kell Brook still classed as a prospect?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 19 Jun - 21:02

If Brook is a prospect then it is the longest anyone has ever been a prospect.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 19 Jun - 23:17

Rowley wrote:According to Mcguigan Frampton has not signed with Warren. His next fight will be co-promoted between Barry's company and Frank but his fights after that will be exclusively with Barry. What this means in reality is anyone's guess but like you I would have concerns about him being too close to Frank as I rate Carl and would hate to see him stuck in WBO purgatory.

I don't know if McGuigan as a promoter has the ability to put together a few names on an undercard. I reckon Warren provides the undercard and broadcasts the fight on BoxNation for a modest percentage. Frank seems willing to get into this kind of arrangement whereas Hearn turned his nose up at it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 20 Jun - 8:06

Look at what happened to Groves when he signed for Warren. Total obscurity for months. Is a shame for Frampton as I think he is very talented.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Jun - 9:29

Strongback wrote:
Rowley wrote:According to Mcguigan Frampton has not signed with Warren. His next fight will be co-promoted between Barry's company and Frank but his fights after that will be exclusively with Barry. What this means in reality is anyone's guess but like you I would have concerns about him being too close to Frank as I rate Carl and would hate to see him stuck in WBO purgatory.

I don't know if McGuigan as a promoter has the ability to put together a few names on an undercard.  I reckon Warren provides the undercard and broadcasts the fight on BoxNation for a modest percentage.  Frank seems willing to get into this kind of arrangement whereas Hearn turned his nose up at it.

Hearn held cards Frank didn't.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Jun - 10:00

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

I don't know if McGuigan as a promoter has the ability to put together a few names on an undercard.  I reckon Warren provides the undercard and broadcasts the fight on BoxNation for a modest percentage.  Frank seems willing to get into this kind of arrangement whereas Hearn turned his nose up at it.

Hearn held cards Frank didn't.....

Hearn held all the fighters and could afford to lose one who would have set a bad precedent within the stable if allowed co-promote himself. Of course Hayemaker co-promoting is fine though, when McGuigan wanted to be a manager and co-promoter Eddie said that would be a "conflict of interests". Frampton can sell out the 9000 capacity Odessey Arena in Belfast without Hearn so it's not like he doesn't hold any cards.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 20 Jun - 10:01

Kid Galahad for me, seems to have amazing timing and reflexes.

In a way a bit of a throwback of a fighter in that defensively he never seems to use much energy and seems to be able to move out of the way without really moving out of the way.

Seems that power is the only missing thing with him but then it never did Sweet Pea any harm.

In a tough domestic division however but could just have enough raw ability to break through to Euro or World level.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 20 Jun - 10:01

Not sure if you can still call him a prospect but Paul Butler is one of the more exciting British talents around at the moment. He's won all 11 fights, 6 by knockout, he fights again next Friday at the Olympia in Liverpool for the WBO Inter-Continental Championship.

Shame the Super Flyweight division doesn't get that much coverage really.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 20 Jun - 10:16

McGuigan will set up Carls fights with Frank sorting the undercards. This may not be a bad thing as Frank has a stable that is littered with undercard fighters. Chisora, Gavin, Stephen Smith, John Murray, etc. Barry will do a good promo over here as he is popular enough.

The only issue I had at the beginning was how active will Frampton be, but then again he fought about 3 times a year under Hearn so I expect the same kind of thing here.

Also I don't expect Carl to start fighting muppets and taking a backward step. So far McGuigan has managed to get some decent opponents for him. That Mexican who was unbeaten, Molitar then Martinez. It would be stupid to start throwing Cleverly type opponents at him now as his support would start questioning it.

With Frank not having full control I expect Carl to keep up the good work against good opposition.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Thu 20 Jun - 12:41

khalid yafai and carl frampton for me, both exceptional talents eubank jr needs to step up now for us to see how good he really is, how long can he keep fighting at his current level for?

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Jun - 12:58

I think everything is falling into place for Bellew to bcome 175 pound champ.....Knew Dawson would struggle after ward and this Stephenson looks ordinary skilled with a punch..

Now Quigg has gone to Hearn I expect big things......He's so big at the weight he can do some real damage..

Mcguigan will hold Frampton back.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down