The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing

+17
BoxingFan88
Steffan
bhb001
JabMachineMK2
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
Duty281
Rowley
Boxtthis
seanmichaels
Lumbering_Jack
BlakkMamba
KC
bellchees
captain carrantuohil
manos de piedra
Strongback
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing - Page 2 Empty Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing

Post by Strongback Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

We don't have to go back very far to find fighters that left their mark on the British public's imagination.  Hatton and Calzaghe were regulars in sports pages of the daily nationals.  In saying this though they didn't really come close to making the imprint that Eubank/Benn/etc, McGuigan even Bruno made on the general public.  

Do we now have a match-up in Fury v Haye that could catch fire and reach out to the casual fans whose propensity to watch skill and violence might not need that much encouragement.

Froch v Kessler was a big night but I think Haye v Fury has the real potential to reach down into the doldrums and place boxing back on its former pedestal.

I wonder if Matchroom will see the bigger picture or will they just be happy to generate a £15M fight that battle hardened die hard boxing fans will pay £15 for.

Basically how big is this fight going to be ?  How much can British boxing gain from the hype?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

Steffan wrote:

TopHat24/7 wrote:Painfully nationalist beyond reason?

Possibly. Or also maybe slightly nationalist but likes to add a bit of tongue in cheek humour and play on it a bit just see which dummies get wound up by it and also get quite a lot of stick back but take it on the chin?

Possibly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing - Page 2 Empty Re: Will Haye v Fury Be A Breakthrough Fight For British Boxing

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 1:04 pm

build up certainly will, the fight will be a one sided annihilation by Haye.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:16 pm

Its going to be a massive fight, make no mistake about it. The danger is that it doesnt live up to its build up. I think Furys style means that the fight will be a good one. Its a fifty/fifty fight. But we have seen before from Haye that he fights more cautiously against the big heavyweights. His fights with Valuev and Klitschko were boring beyond belief but Fury will be coming to knock him out and if the fight is a good one then it will be great for boxing and it will also mean Fury cannot be ignored any longer by the Klitschko brothers if he wins. Fury fights aggressively so Haye will have the chance to land a hayemaker on him but I can see Fury getting up if hes knocked down and overwhelming the the smaller man like he did in his last fight. This will be big.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

I think if Fury can land some big punches then he has a good chance but as much as I would love him to knock Haye out I think it will be a 6th round TKO to Haye in a disappointing one sided fight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

I think there is a chance Haye could knock Fury out, thats heavyweight boxing and Fury has been knocked down before. But I can see him getting up and still winning the fight like he has done in the past. He will put Haye under alot more pressure than Klitschko or Valuev did.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 2:43 pm

If Fury wins this fight he will have won himself the right to challenge for a world title fight as a serious contender instead of a clown who got knocked down by a cruiser weight. However, unless he is the mandatory, he can expect the wrong end of sweet FA in terms of remuneration plus tied up with all sorts of re-match clauses. I am looking froward to this fight if it happens (annoucement by end of this month is what is being touted), but would not be surprised if it was all hype and no delivery with a pretty poor performance put in by both sides.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:01 pm

bhb001 wrote:If Fury wins this fight he will have won himself the right to challenge for a world title fight as a serious contender instead of a clown who got knocked down by a cruiser weight. However, unless he is the mandatory, he can expect the wrong end of sweet FA in terms of remuneration plus tied up with all sorts of re-match clauses. I am looking froward to this fight if it happens (annoucement by end of this month is what is being touted), but would not be surprised if it was all hype and no delivery with a pretty poor performance put in by both sides.

Styles make fights and I think this one will come together well. Haye is a KO artist and Fury will also be coming to KO Haye. I cant see this one going to points. Hayes last fights against big heavyweights like Klitschko were boring because of the styles but Fury is a much aggressive fighter than Klitschko and will not be happy to jab away to try and win on points. One of them will get knocked out.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:09 pm

If Fury wants to make a statement he needs to box long behind the jab and catch Haye with those devastating uppercuts he throws (usually aimed at himself but hey ho...) However, A/ Fury lacks the discipline to fight like this and more importantly B/ lacks the ability to fight like this.

Haye to toy with him like cat playing with a badly brain damaged squirrel before putting him out of his misery.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

Wlad's KO ratio is over 80%. He is not fun to watch, but is effective and has about the best KO ratio in the heavyweight ranks.

My only worry is that there will be too much talking the fight up to a point where it cannot live up to the hype. I do not think Fury is a world class athlete, so the hype will always come across as empty. But it is a fight we could use in this country, but it will only be of interest to us and not the rest of the world.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 24 Jun 2013, 4:12 pm

Furys aggressive style will be his downfall,Hayes speed and power far too much,Fury's defense is poor and Cunningham caught him time and time again with right hands,Haye will do similar and its lights out.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:12 pm

Dont underestimate Furys heart and bravery. He has always got up in the past and gone on to win which alot of pros will tell you is the mark of a champion. And what happens if Fury uses his size to and power to bully and land big shots on Haye? Dont forget Haye is the one who has been knocked out before not Fury. Fifty fifty fight.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

No-one underestimates Fury's heart, however, we do question his ability to compete with a fighter of Haye's calibre.

Haye was knocked out when exactly? Do you mean when he was stopped against Thompson after battering him from pillar to post before gassing (btw has anyone actually gone back and WATCHED that bloody fight to see the hammering Thompson was given or do people just say Haye was stopped by an old man without actually having seen the damn thing?) Anyway, you'll recall he was stopped on his feet still throwing punches when the towel came in.

Haye, on the deck against Mormeck...got up to win. Haye...sort of on the deck against Barrett....got up to win. What's Fury done that Haye hasn't?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 24 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm

Don't even think Fury is that big a puncher, 80/20 fight in Hayes favour.
Haye has never been knocked out stopped on his feet after gassing against Thompson.
Fury IMO very very average fighter,talks a good fight though.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:01 pm

The punch that Fury got up from in his last fight would have knocked out Haye or the Klitschkos. Fury has alot of heart to get up from that and go on to win. That was a huge punch that hit him. I think Haye be having second thoughts now judging by what people are saying on twitter.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

Fury wont get up if Haye bangs him on the chin,Fury's been in trouble a few times, and got put down by a fighter with a 38% ko ratio, most of them at cruiserweight.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

dumber and Dumberchester wrote:I think Haye be having second thoughts now judging by what people are saying on twitter.

What, that Fury has refused to sign a contract because he thinks he deserves an 80/20 split in his favour.

Only second thoughts Haye will be having is just how much of an utter **** Fury really is

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

winchester wrote:Dont underestimate Furys heart and bravery. He has always got up in the past and gone on to win which alot of pros will tell you is the mark of a champion. And what happens if Fury uses his size to and power to bully and land big shots on Haye? Dont forget Haye is the one who has been knocked out before not Fury. Fifty fifty fight.
Fifty fifty fight. Unlike the percentage split Fury wants!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:47 pm

Haye's chin isn't stellar, Ruiz and Barrett hurt him and he know what lying on the canvas feels like.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

Think Fury has shown that he really didn't want this fight, despite all his bluster. Haye would likely have dismantled him after a few rounds of hide and seek, so it might be a smart career move.

Disappointing, though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

Al Bernstein was on Twitter last night, apparently Fury is 'demanding' 80:20.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

Haye said the same thing, Toppy.

Haye has offered 50/50, which is surely fair enough. 80/20 is just an outrageous get out of jail free card on behalf of Fury.

It certainly won't be a genuine money issue for Fury as if he's that confident of beating Haye then he must surely know that the Klitschko pay day would likely follow.

As I said, disappointing.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

Fury's learnt from the best....(PBF)

Given that Haye has the higher ranking, is the only one that's already PPV, is the only one that's held a portion of the world title at the weight and brings the most money and credibility to the table 80:20 is ridiculous and can only be called 1 thing - A DUCK!!

So, the list of Fury's ducking now reads:

Price - his mandatory for Brit & C'wealth, dumped the belts & pulled out of purse bids.
Pulev - for #1 contender status and guaranteed title shot (with a proper purse split), pulled out of purse bids.
Haye - top domestic HW, highest ranked non-K HW and biggest money spinner possible.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

Wonder how Az is going to try excuse his way out of this one.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 10:25 am

Or Winchester. Of course everyone is avoiding Fury because they are scared of him. Fury shouldn't be expected to fight for nothing so 80 / 20 is obviously reasonable. Headscratch

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 27 Jun 2013, 4:32 pm

Seen Fury's latest?

I deserve 80% as I'm in fashion, Haye's a has been.
I'm the best heavyweight ever, nobody can beat me.

Got to admire his audacity, haven't you?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 27 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

No.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2