The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner v Paulie post fight reaction

+21
Herman Jaeger
BoxingFan88
kingraf
Rodney
eddyfightfan
KO-KING
Mayweathers cellmate
manos de piedra
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
Adam D
milkyboy
Strongback
mobilemaster8
Pedro147
AlexHuckerby
Soldier_Of_Fortune
BlakkMamba
TRUSSMAN66
Diamond in the rough
Seanusarrilius
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broner v Paulie post fight reaction Empty Broner v Paulie post fight reaction

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 am

I want to congratulate Paulie for a spirited effort tonight, and for having to deal with one of the biggest idiots for a whole promotion. Broner is utterly classless and that showed in post fight interviews.....again.

I thought Broner was good in patches, but he really didn't impress me too much. A more skilled fighter who is busy and can dig is going to cause him serious issues. Why does Broner fight in patches? Especially in a fight like this where he was in with a non puncher.

I would love to see him in with a Mattysse at 140, or even someone with height and speed on him.

Talented offensively, but that wasn't a vintage performance by any stretch, especially when you think that Paulie looked very average against Cano last time out, is old in ring years and shopworn.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Broner v Paulie post fight reaction Empty Re: Broner v Paulie post fight reaction

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:32 am

Still won 117-111 so was fairly comfortable in my view

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Broner v Paulie post fight reaction Empty Re: Broner v Paulie post fight reaction

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 am

In fairness like Ossie Ocasio.........Paulie isn't someone you look good against....

Cotto didn't...........Hatton didn't...................

He's a stinker you have to hunt down..

Hopefully he'll b**ger off now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:22 am

I did say this wouldn't be a blowout, Paulie is slick and doesn't get hit cleanly.  I haven't seen the fight yet but it's not shock to me that it went the twelve rounds.  I saw the punch stats were quite even so can only assume Broner landed heavier punches.  If only Paulie had a punch he would have been able to achieve a lot more in the sport. A split decision doesn't suggest to me that Broner is the real deal, but I'll reserve judgment until after watching - as Truss says Paulie is awkward and difficult to get to grips with.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 am

Carlos deleon.......Maurice blocker........Bernard Taylor........

Boxing is littered with guys you don't look good against..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness like Ossie Ocasio.........Paulie isn't someone you look good against....

What you on about, Hatton won every round apart from the first and was constantly tagging Paulie with power shots. Broner could hardly hit him clean. Even Khan schooled Paulie. Broner needs to up his games. Brook would beat Broner based on that performance.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness like Ossie Ocasio.........Paulie isn't someone you look good against....

What you on about, Hatton won every round apart from the first and was constantly tagging Paulie with power shots. Broner could hardly hit him clean. Even Khan schooled Paulie. Broner needs to up his games. Brook would beat Broner based on that performance.

Pinklon Thomas, Carl williams, Michael spinks, Larry Holmes would have all beaten Tyson on the Tillis performance....

Styles make fights.........Curry beat Starling...lost to Honey ...who lost to starling...

No one looks good against Paulie..........117-111 pretty convincing..........no ??

Have you heard this guy..Brook sneaks past Carson and because Broner wins a decision against Paulie..........Brook beats him..

Listen to yourself.....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:10 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Pinklon Thomas, Carl williams, Michael spinks, Larry Holmes would have all beaten Tyson on the Tillis performance....

Styles make fights.........Curry beat Starling...lost to Honey ...who lost to starling...

No one looks good against Paulie..........117-111 pretty convincing..........no ??

Have you heard this guy..Brook sneaks past Carson and because Broner wins a decision against Paulie..........Brook beats him..

Listen to yourself.....
Well, let's caveat that with 117-111 was only on one of the judges cards... one scored the fight to Paulie...

I'll add my view once I've seen and scored it...

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 am

Broner caught Paulie cleanly 50% of the time he threw what are you on about? Bang on the chin it looked to me, the worrying thing was he never hurt Paulie with the amount of flush shots he caught him with, think it wa the ninth or so, he caught Paulie with about 7 perfect shots in a row bang on the chin hard, and it didn't look his power had travelled up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am

Any links for the fight guys?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

In fairness Cotto couldn't stop him and the card in that fight were in the same range..Forget the idiot who scored it for Paulie.......Probably the guy who had Leonard 118-110 against hagler.

Broner's problem is nobody here likes him.....It's like castillo being chucked at Floyd forgetting.....Robbo had his Turpin....Ali had his Norton..

Let's not forget it is an accomplishment to be a three weight world champion........Likeable or not...

Joined a select group..and congratulations to him for that..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Listen to yourself.....

Truss coming out with he's usual tripe. Broner doesn't belong at Welter. Well Hatton and Khan looked good against Paulie. Broner is meant to be the next big thing hahaha. Jones beats Broner aswell.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:49 am

He's a three weight world champion.....Hatton struggled with Eamonn magee didn't he??

You're dismissing him because of one fight....and I'm talking tripe.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:49 am

Broner looked alright considering it was a two weight division jump.

my only concern for the so called talented boy is that i thought malignaggi won.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:50 am

When you dislike someone you tend to gloss over the other guys work..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Broner caught Paulie cleanly 50% of the time he threw what are you on about? Bang on the chin it looked to me, the worrying thing was he never hurt Paulie with the amount of flush shots he caught him with, think it wa the ninth or so, he caught Paulie with about 7 perfect shots in a row bang on the chin hard, and it didn't look his power had travelled up.

47% according to the stats, doubt half of them where clean either.e

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 am

Not easy to hit someone who's running away..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 am

Can we have some perspective here...........A guy has just become a three weight world champion...moving up two weights and all he's getting is spewed on....

Dear oh dear Mr Broner has hit a nerve.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's a three weight world champion.....Hatton struggled with Eamonn magee didn't he??

You're dismissing him because of one fight....and I'm talking tripe.

Nope, De Leon and Quintero aswell. Look who he fought for his titles, has anyone had it easier in the history of boxing. I very much doubt it.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 am

Vicente Martin Rodriguez who, DeMarco and eeks out and SD against Paulie haha

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:59 am

Can we have some perspective here...........A guy has just become a three weight world champion...moving up two weights and all he's getting is spewed on....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Repeating yourself Truss.....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Three things were exposed about Broner in the fight:

1. He's very flat footed, Paulie easily out manouvered him.

2. His great power at super feather didn't travel up to welter.

3. His work rate was very poor only fighting sporadically.

Broner did very little in the first 4-5 rounds and I can see why the fight ended up a split decision, Paulie could have sneaked a draw but for me Broner did enough.

Considering the calibre of fighter that has beaten Paulie in the past, and he is a bit ring worn at this stage, I can see Broner stepping back down to lightweight. Definitely not another Mayweather for me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Let's not be too hard guys, Paul Malignaggi is hardly a tomato can.  Becoming a three weigth world champion is a great achievement in the sport and whatever Broner's attitude he deserves the proper respect from everyone at that.

He will probably need to improve to beat the top guys, but this was a two weight jump, so I guess it's reasonable to expect he needs some time to bed into it.

TIm Bradley, JMM, Devon Alexander and Marcos Maidana would ask a different set of questions, and there are big fights at this weight to be made.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Considering the hype behind Broner and his classless trash talk, throwing away money etc, he deserves to be called on it when he puts in a less than mediocre performance.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Seems like some of those who were calling this a mismatch are struggling to find some balance post fight. Its one thing to offer credit to broner for the win, but we're constantly told he's the second coming, so its reasonable to judge him on that.

If i was judging him as a british prospect i'd be saying well done, but khan and hatton did a much better job. If i'm judging him as the next superstar of boxing, then i have to be a bit more critical.

Reality is, the two streetwise tough guys with a chin he's fought have given him problems.. He rode his luck against ponce and the consensus seems that he did enough by a couple of rounds here. The Broner fan club need to accept that, talented lad though he is, he gets hit too easily and doesn't seem to like working too hard.

I'm not going to be over critical of him, because i'm not surprised by the result and predicted paulie would work him hard. He's young he has time to work on these things, and ultimately he's a three weight world champion... He's yet to fight a real top operator yet though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm

I personally think that Paulies own post fight interview synopsis was about right - it was pretty even throughout.

If the ref had done a better job, Broner would have been docked a point (possibly 2) which would have made it a flip of the coin.

There is no doubt who took more damage(Paulie) but I still think he should have won for work rate alone, especially if the ref had called it fairly.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:24 pm

What was with Broner trying to kick Malignaggi in about the 4th?

Something I don't want to see in a boxing ring, no idea how he didn't lose a point for that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:31 pm

he also elbowed Paulie at the end of one of the rounds, right in front of the ref! A couple of sucker punches during breaks as well.

I would love to see someone comb his hair real soon with a shovel.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Not really impressed with Broner, got hit far too much had he been in with someone who hits harder, pretty much anyone in the top 20 at LWW and WW, then he would have been in real trouble

His arms block a lot of punches, but his feet are always planted to punch and Broner doesn't fight for the entire 3 minutes  so you can land body shots at will

Khan busted up Paulie at ease and Hatton was far more impressive. Broner is more Berto than Mayweather and needs to adopt his own identity or he's going to lose

He has a good counter right but he never really hurt Paulie with it and while Paulie is tough, he looked awful against Cano (who just got beaten by another past it fighter) and has been thoroughly beaten against every A level fighters he's fought

Should have got at least 1 point deducted and probably should have had 2, which would have made it a draw on my card and would have given Paulie the decision last night

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:02 pm

I dont agree that Malignaggi is a slick fighter. Hes not difficult to find and if he hadnt got a quality chin he would be in trouble alot more. He ships big shots. I actually thought Khan and Hatton did look good against Malignaggi. Arguably two of their most accomplished performances which both won decisively so it puts Broners performance in a bit of perspective with regards to how he may sit amongst the better names up there. Realistically, the three weight champion thing is just a gimmick because Malignaggi was not even in the top 5 best welters in the division. Arguably not even top ten.

Paulie is a smallish welter that punches like a SFW whereas Broner was a monstrous lightweight that cut alot of weight so sizewise this wasnt that big a gap. I dont think it fair to say that Broners power hasnt carried because Paulie has always had a great chin and he ate some big shots but I think its clear that a welter weight Broner is not going to enjoy the giant size advantage he has over the SFW and LW so this is going to pose a big challenge when he meets someone that can actually punch and he cant just walk through. There are a number of 5 welters out there now I think would beat him on the basis of the last display.

Broner has always tended to give of the impression he is holding something back and there is more to come, but having seen him go 12 with Paulie and really never vary his dimensions much I wonder if this is just an illusion and he simply is not a busy fighter and an economical puncher.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Adam D wrote:he also elbowed Paulie at the end of one of the rounds, right in front of the ref! A couple of sucker punches during breaks as well.

I would love to see someone comb his hair real soon with a shovel.

Very Happy

I think last night put the Broner - Mayweather comparison in context. Mayweather would have won every minute of every round v Paulie.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Any links for the fight guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hdsurvKWF8&feature=player_embedded

Not in English

115-113 was bs for Pauli, so was 117-111 for Broner, I had it 115-113 for Broner, could see 116-112 Broner

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 pm

i actually had it a draw, i think the last round was very close but once again broner was outworked.

where i think paulie struggles is because we know he can't punch he doesn't get as much credit when he lands he combos, which is wrong imo. neither man looked hurt in the fight so both fighters punchs should be counted equally until it becomes apparent that one is hurting the other more than themselfs.

the punch stats might show a good percentage landed for broner, but he focuses those punches in a few rounds and wasn't landing anything of note in the other rounds.

paulies rant about politics in boxing at the end is right, the connected fighter does always get the decision and broner was lucky to keep his unbeaten record last night.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:12 pm

There where rounds that Paulie outworked Broner for 2 and a half minutes but Broner appears to have gotten those rounds for 30 seconds of work.

You can't win rounds by not working in my opinion.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I had it 116-112 Broner, as much as he is one the most dispicable tools in all of sport the tool is a talented one, I thought he did ok last night and deserved to win. I think many are expecting too much, he is only 23 and hasn't developed his man strength yet it will take a good fighter to beat him. For those wanting to compare him to Mayweather, he is ahead of him in perspective years, look at Mayweather against Sosa and Burton he was bullied at times so the comparison needs to be made in terms of Mayweathers earlier stage of his career. Like to see Pacman tear him a new one mind, good match for Manny at this stage IMO.

Couple of sidenotes from the card, Johnathan Banks was a disgrace that needs to be reviewed he must've had his purse on Mitchell by UD. Those laugh at Tony Galento getting a shot at the title, need to watch those two apparent leading contenders last night & say boxing has blossomed, Tony would've iced Mitchell soon as he tapped on the jaw.

And finally the American fight fans what is wrong with them ? They booed after 60secs of action (or lack of) in both undercard fights. No wonder promoters are having a difficult time to sell fights, those fans need to tune back into the UFC.

Cheers rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Leonard did. Probably began the rot.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:28 pm

totally agree about the booing, it wasn't even half way into the first rounds of both fights before the booing began. i mean did they expect mitchell to run straight onto the same round hand again? of course he was going to fight cautiously. and as for the bika fight i have no idea what more they wanted, i thought it was a cracking fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i actually had it a draw, i think the last round was very close but once again broner was outworked.

where i think paulie struggles is because we know he can't punch he doesn't get as much credit when he lands he combos, which is wrong imo. neither man looked hurt in the fight so both fighters punchs should be counted equally until it becomes apparent that one is hurting the other more than themselfs.

the punch stats might show a good percentage landed for broner, but he focuses those punches in a few rounds and wasn't landing anything of note in the other rounds.

paulies rant about politics in boxing at the end is right, the connected fighter does always get the decision and broner was lucky to keep his unbeaten record last night.

Agree with this 1000%, I had the fight 116-112 for Broner, however I was heavily swayed by the commentators, who were constantly in awe when Broner bothered to throw punches. I don't think that the rounds should automatically go to the heavier puncher, because its all relative. Paulie didn't appear to be hurt very often and obviously Broner wasn't really hurt either. Paulie was landing some clean crisp shots as well so he should get credit for them.

Mitchell was probably a harder puncher than Banks, but Banks punches had more effect. Power punching is all relative.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I'd like to see if Broner shakes his head when he takes a shot from a Matthysse, Maidana, Ortiz, Thurman etc. Laughing away shots from Malignaggi and Ress doenst really show anything

With Al Haymon as a manager its hard to predict who he's going to fight next, but welterweight and lightwelter are packed atm and there are lots of fights out there

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:27 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I'd like to see if Broner shakes his head when he takes a shot from a Matthysse, Maidana, Ortiz, Thurman etc. Laughing away shots from Malignaggi and Ress doenst really show anything

With Al Haymon as a manager its hard to predict who he's going to fight next, but welterweight and lightwelter are packed atm and there are lots of fights out there

Don't we get to choose who he fights Smile

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:49 pm

About 116-112 Broner but i wasn't watching the fight too closely, so maybe 115-113. Difficult to warm to Broner as a person. Very difficult.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:03 pm

I must of been watching a different figt to everyone else, i thought Broner dealt with Malignaggi easily, almost every shot Paulie threw bounced off his shoulder, arms and guard, he still an absolute cretin though, how anyone will be able to warm to him is anybodies guess,

I'd love to see him in the ring with Ortiz next but we'll get Moseley

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:05 pm

Get Broner on the v2Podcast guys...you know it makes sense.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Listen to yourself.....
Khan and Hatton both have very different styles but both looked excellent against Paulie and put in far far superior performances than Broner.

Khan was all about electric speed and accuracy, Hatton over-whelmed him with output and power.

Thought the SD flattered Paulie, I had it 117-111 like 1 of the judges, but Broner definitely didn't look good and still hasn't justified top10 p4p status in my eyes.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not easy to hit someone who's running away..

Which didn't happen so that's a moot point for a start......

Broner really is the next Floyd, you've got your nose up his jacksie already in preperation.

Just waiting for Az to come on now and tell us all we just don't like Broner because he's black.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Can we have some perspective here...........A guy has just become a three weight world champion...moving up two weights and all he's getting is spewed on....

Two words:-

Duke McKenzie.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Adam D wrote:I personally think that Paulies own post fight interview synopsis was about right - it was pretty even throughout.

If the ref had done a better job, Broner would have been docked a point (possibly 2) which would have made it a flip of the coin.

There is no doubt who took more damage(Paulie) but I still think he should have won for work rate alone, especially if the ref had called it fairly.

Good point, forgot about that.  Broner could easily have been docked at least 3 points.

Another reason he could be Floyd's second coming, appeared very good at getting away with fighting dirty.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Broners 23years old he'll grow into the welterweight division much like Mayweather has at different weights.At 23 Broner wil only get better.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:13 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

47% according to the stats, doubt half of them where clean either.e

I overexagerated of course, however 47% is still very high and he landed LOTS of clean blows.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next