The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

+50
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
glamorganalun
munkian
wales606
Totalflanker
gelodge
Hookisms and Hyperbole
mbernz
GunsGerms
RubyGuby
nth
markb
Comfort
Portnoy's Complaint
Pal Joey
Cyril
tecphobe
R!skysports
Breadvan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
sad_gimp
Pyleboy65
Scoped
JmD
Heuer27
GLove39
Scrumpy
SecretFly
bsando
Cari
flyhalffactory
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
thomh
RuggerRadge2611
sirtidychris
dragonbreath
chargedowntotheface
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
jelly
Glas a du
Janecory
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
LondonTiger
George Carlin
54 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June Empty Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 8:26

AAMI Park, Melbourne
Tuesday June 25, 7:40pm local

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Referee: Romain Poite (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)
Assessor: Lyndon Bray

TEAM LINE UPS:

Rebels

01. Nic Henderson
02. Ged Robinson
03. Laurie Weeks
04. Cadeyrn Neville
05. Hugh Pyle
06. Jarrod Saffy
07. Scott Fuglistaller
08. Gareth Delve (c)

09. Luke Burgess^
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Lachlan Mitchell
12. Rory Sidey
13. Mitch Inman
14. Tom English
15. Jason Woodward

Replacements:
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah Nau*
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Luke Jones
20. Jordy Reid
21. Nic Stirzaker
22. Angus Roberts
23. Cooper Vuna

*Rebels debut
^Rebels first start

Lions:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Sean Maitland
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Brad Barritt
11. Simon Zebo
10. Owen Farrell
09. Conor Murray

08. Toby Faletau
07. Sean O'Brien
06. Dan Lydiate (captain)
05. Ian Evans
04. Richie Gray
03. Dan Cole
02. Richard Hibbard
01. Ryan Grant

Replacements:
Rory Best, Tom Court, Matt Stevens, Tom Croft, Justin Tipuric, Ben Youngs, Billy Twelvetrees, Stuart Hogg.

Preview 1 (from ESPN Sport):

Luke Burgess to direct Rebels
ESPN Staff
June 23, 2013

Luke Burgess will make his first start in Australia in almost two years after being named in Melbourne Rebels' run-on side to play the British & Irish Lions at AAMI Park on Tuesday.

Burgess, who has played 37 Tests for the Wallabies, recently returned to Australia from French Top 14 side with a stated aim of facing the Lions. "Every rugby player's dream is to have the opportunity to play the British & Irish Lions in their home country, and I am very honoured to have been selected to start for the Rebels and get a chance to play them," Burgess said. "Having been in Melbourne a couple of weeks now, I have built some solid combinations with this young playing group, and have enjoyed working alongside Nic Stirzaker in the half-back role. Together, we have both been able to apply a game plan that will look to challenge the Lions, and something we are both looking forward to."

Burgess made mention of the contrasting style between the two continents as a point of difference in his game management. "European rugby is a lot different to what we have down under, and I think I can bring an edge to the Rebels' attack and control the tempo of the game. It's important we establish this early, as we have seen what they can do when allowed to control the match."

Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor and Nick Phipps are unavailable for selection due to Wallabaies commitments, but the Rebels welcome the return of Hugh Pyle and Jarrod Saffy from injury. Rookie fly-half Bryce Hegarty also returns to the run-on side after missing the Rebels' previous match due to illness.

"There are many great milestones in this match," Rebels coach Damien Hill said. "Not only is it the first opportunity the Rebels have to play the British & Irish Lions in front of our members and fans, but it will be the first match for Cruze Ah-Nau at the Rebels and Luke's first start at the club. I am very proud of the way Melbourne has embraced the Rebels, and we hope to repay that with a record attendance at AAMI Park, and a historical moment in Victorian sporting history.

"We have been without a number of our high-profile players this season but the squad has met these challenges head on with many of the younger members like Bryce, Tom English, Jason Woodward, Jordy Reid, Angus Roberts and Pat Leafa getting their first taste of Super Rugby. Their efforts have contributed to a number of excellent team performances this season and they are excited about the challenge they will face together on Tuesday night."
Preview 2 (from ABC Sport):

2013 Lions Tour: England centre Manu Tuilagi to face Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday

England centre Manu Tuilagi will return to action after injury against the Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday after coach Warren Gatland named him in the British and Irish Lions team for the match on Sunday.

Tuilagi suffered a shoulder injury during the match against the Queensland Reds two weeks ago and has not played since but will link up with Brad Barritt for the match against Australia's youngest Super Rugby team.

The team will be led by England lock Geoff Parling, who links up in the second row with Scotland's Richie Gray in a strong pack.

Although this was clearly a second string, or dirt-tracker, team, Gatland said a good performance would put players in contention for the second Test, where they will be looking to wrap up the series after Saturday's 23-21 win over the Wallabies.

"I think it's important for the players to get an opportunity on Tuesday," the New Zealander said.

"We've kept saying all along that there's still a chance for performances to really catch the eye and Tuesday night is another chance to go out and impress.

"We were disappointed with the Brumbies result, I think it was a gentle reminder of certain things we needed to remember for the Test match.

"So for certain guys taking the field on Tuesday, it would be nice to continue with that momentum for the second Test."

Several players saw their Test places go up in smoke when the Lions lost to a Brumbies side in Canberra last Tuesday and get a chance to make amends.

There is also a string contingent of players who were on the bench against the Wallabies at Lang Park, including loose forward Dan Lydiate and Scottish back Sean Maitland.

Owen Farrell starts at fly half in a halves partnership with Irishman Conor Murray while hooker Rory Best, who captained the Lions against the Brumbies, is named among the replacements.

Sean O'Brien gets a chance to impress at openside flanker with Lydiate coming in at blindside and Justin Tipuric, a favourite of many for a Test start at the beginning of the tour, on the bench.

Irish winger Tommy Bowe, who played a major role on the 2009 series in South Africa, has made a rapid recovery after fracturing a bone in his hand against the Reds but was not included in the team to ensure he is fit for Saturday.

There was also good news about another centre, Welsh battering ram Jamie Roberts, who sustained a hamstring strain in last weekend's match against the New South Wales Waratahs.

"They've done a fantastic job getting those guys back and fit and we don't think Jamie Roberts is too far away as well, he was up and running last week and he's potentially in contention for that second Test as well," Gatland said on Sunday.

"So to have Tommy fit and back and to have Manu fit and back as well it's a great contribution from the medical team and the fitness staff.

"The squad is looking healthy, we've got nearly everyone available, which is great, and if you look at the Australians, they took a bit of a battering last night.

"So we're in a good place now and looking forward to Tuesday."

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon 24 Jun - 7:38; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Jun - 8:32

Lions team: Rob Kearney; Sean Maitland, Manu Tuilagi, Brad Barritt, Simon Zebo; Owen Farrell, Conor Murray; Ryan Grant, Richard Hibbard, Dan Cole, Richie Gray, Geoff Parling (capt), Dan Lydiate, Sean O'Brien, Toby Faletau.
Replacements: Rory Best, Mako Vunipola, Matt Stevens, Ian Evans, Justin Tipuric, Ben Youngs, Billy Twelvetrees, Stuart Hogg

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Jun - 8:38

Oh dear, I can see the Farrell/Barritt combo not going down too well on here.

Not too sure on it myself to be honest, after the edgy display on Sat the Lions need to let off some steam but Murray/Farrell/Barritt might hinder that.

Interested to see how Cole gets on, he really struggled off the bench and hasn't been his usual self this year.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 8:43

Thanks LondonTiger - didn't realise that the teams were up already.

That's actually an incredibly strong pack. Lots of ball for Manu and Barritt to crash up the middle with.

Shame to see no Jamie Roberts. Hope Tipuric gets some game time. The starters are probably the hardest working loose forward trio available to the Lions. Expect plenty of ball.

Very interesting quote above from ABC about Bowe -
[he] was not included in the team to ensure he is fit for Saturday.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 23 Jun - 8:45; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Jun - 8:44

I wish they had gone with 36 in the centre, but I guess a Farrell, 36, Manu midfield would have given too much info to Stuart Lancaster Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 23 Jun - 8:50

No Wade, Twelvtrees, am very surprised that either one of them is not in the squad.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Sun 23 Jun - 8:52

To be fair Hogg has well and truly been shafted by Cementhead this Tour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Jun - 9:21

I don't know, Gats could be thinking Hogg at 15 for the next test with Halfpenny taking Cuthberts spot. Or Hogg could get the 23 shirt (bizzarre that he didn't on Sat).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Jun - 9:21

He told him to go out and be rubbish against the Brumbies did he? I take it Hogg was asked before the squad announcement if he'd be prepared to play fly half? And said yes...

Anyhow, it seems the Croft/Heaslip experiment is to be preservered with Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Jun - 9:22

LondonTiger wrote:I wish they had gone with 36 in the centre, but I guess a Farrell, 36, Manu midfield would have given too much info to Stuart Lancaster Wink

Ah and suddenly so much makes sense...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Sun 23 Jun - 9:27

Looks like this week the starting line up will have much more chance to stake their claim for at least a bench position. And Twelvetrees is in the squad and given Bowe, Maitland and Zebo are all ahead of him in terms of test selection (as well as North and Cuthbert) I can't see how they could have played Wade.

I agree about Hogg being unlucky. He has had to play second fiddle to Halfpenny in the first few games while they allow Kearney a luxury that no other player was afforded and he then comes straight into the team. Hogg is young enough to tour at least one more time so hopefully he'll still have learned plenty from this tour.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Jun - 9:37

Glas a du wrote:I take it Hogg was asked before the squad announcement if he'd be prepared to play fly half? And said yes...
Well he wasn't exactly going to say no was he! Gregor Townsend was also consulted and told the coaches he has the ability to play at 10.

Strong team this, Gatland obviously looking for a strong performance and people to claim bench spots.  Will hopefully see all 4 Scots on the pitch at the same time!

Really hope we see at least 1 Scot get capped this tour - will be a massive shame if they don't.  I always thought Richie Gray was a certainty for the test 23 but Gats obviously sees things differently.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 9:44

If Lydiate has a poor game (not really likely, but let's assume) and O'Brien and/or Tipuric have a huge game, do people think that this will do anything to change Gatland's mind about the test bench?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Jun - 10:04

George Carlin wrote:If Lydiate has a poor game (not really likely, but let's assume) and O'Brien and/or Tipuric have a huge game, do people think that this will do anything to change Gatland's mind about the test bench?
It should, but probably won't!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 23 Jun - 10:18

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well he wasn't exactly going to say no was he! Gregor Townsend was also consulted and told the coaches he has the ability to play at 10.

Really hope we see at least 1 Scot get capped this tour - will be a massive shame if they don't.  I always thought Richie Gray was a certainty for the test 23 but Gats obviously sees things differently.

I think we agree he's had a poisoned chalice, all I'm saying is that he could (should?) have seen it coming.

Agree entirely on Gray.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Jun - 10:21

Grey and Hogg should both be in with a very good chance of making Saturdays game.

Grey's partnership with O'Connell has been terrific and it's worth noting that Paul had his worst game without the bulk of Grey next door.

Halfpenny while a brilliant kicker adds nothing in attack which is the opposite of Hogg, Beale's cameo showed the importance of a counter attacking 15.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 10:30

Shows the importance of a goalkicker though too, Yappy.

1/2p has only missed something like 2 pots at goal the entire tour which gives him a bonkers strike rate - something like 96% was being trotted out for the first game. It's the difference between winning and losing and I don't think that anyone would suggest that he is replaced - despite (and I'm going to whisper this before I get wedgied by everyone out here) either missing or being out of position for two key tackles for each of the Falau tries. I don't mind about that though - I'll happily put it down to Falau having feet like Fred Astaire and I'm not sure anyone would have made those tackles.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 23 Jun - 10:42; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Jun - 10:37

Oh sorry George, didn't mean to replace him, I was imagining Halfpenny taking Cuthberts shirt and Hogg at 15. From the times i've seen him Halfpenny has looked happy on the wing too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 10:41

I wouldn't mind that at all Yappy but reading the ABC interview with Gatland in my OP above the direct implication is that Bowe is not playing on Tuesday because he's already been earmarked to play on Saturday.

Can only mean one of two things - Bowe is wearing 14 (in which case, Cuthbert can be aggrieved after his excellent score) or Bowe is wearing 23. My sense is that it's the former.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Jun - 11:13

George Carlin wrote:I wouldn't mind that at all Yappy but reading the ABC interview with Gatland in my OP above the direct implication is that Bowe is not playing on Tuesday because he's already been earmarked to play on Saturday.

Can only mean one of two things - Bowe is wearing 14 (in which case, Cuthbert can be aggrieved after his excellent score) or Bowe is wearing 23. My sense is that it's the former.

Whereas I suspect it will be the latter.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 23 Jun - 11:39

LondonTiger wrote:
George Carlin wrote:I wouldn't mind that at all Yappy but reading the ABC interview with Gatland in my OP above the direct implication is that Bowe is not playing on Tuesday because he's already been earmarked to play on Saturday.

Whereas I suspect it will be the latter.

Or it could mean that he isn't quite fit enough for a full run out in a game & a bit more of a rest would be more beneficial.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 11:55

I think that Matt Stevens applauded Tommy for having "a plate in his hand" and offered to join him at the buffet before finding out he was talking at cross-purposes.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 23 Jun - 12:00

Like the Lions team on the whole, more sensible than last week. That midfield could easily kill any ball going to the wings though, as we have seen with England, but we should see the Manu show at least. Much better pack than last week, let's see how SOB and Lydiate do as I think one may start on Saturday.

Would really really like Wade to get a game in an actual team in the last midweek match! At least this team shows me, for the first time ever I think, that Gatland can learn from his errors and that bodes well for next Saturday because we have a lot of learning to do from yesterday
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun - 13:35

Congrats to Parling, both for being captain and for having a little girl shortly before the first test. Well, more his wife then him, really.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Jun - 14:13

ChequeredJersey wrote:Like the Lions team on the whole, more sensible than last week. That midfield could easily kill any ball going to the wings though, as we have seen with England, but we should see the Manu show at least. Much better pack than last week, let's see how SOB and Lydiate do as I think one may start on Saturday.

Would really really like Wade to get a game in an actual team in the last midweek match! At least this team shows me, for the first time ever I think, that Gatland can learn from his errors and that bodes well for next Saturday because we have a lot of learning to do from yesterday

With Tips on the bench I am hoping that signifies that he will be starting at seven next weekend and Croft will drop out of the 23.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Jun - 7:06

I see now that Christian Leiliifano has been cleared to play in the second test.

Whoever takes the 12 shirt for the Lions is going to have to be on top of his considerable bag of tricks.

Good for him that he gets another chance but that's definitely bad news for us as it means the Wallabies won't be missing many more kicks for goal.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 24 Jun - 7:11

George Carlin wrote:I see now that Christian Leiliifano has been cleared to play in the second test.

Whoever takes the 12 shirt for the Lions is going to have to be on top of his considerable bag of tricks.

Good for him that he gets another chance but that's definitely bad news for us as it means the Wallabies won't be missing many more kicks for goal.

Totally agree. That's a big 24 hours us losing POC & Oz getting back a great playmaker in Leilifano.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Jun - 7:14

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Totally agree. That's a big 24 hours us losing POC & Oz getting back a great playmaker in Leilifano.

Potentially great playmaker surely. Until you have performed at test level ability is a touch unproven.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chargedowntotheface Mon 24 Jun - 7:28

Parling withdrawn (starting on sat?)
evans into starting lineup
croft on bench
lydiate skipper. 
interesting.....

chargedowntotheface

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 24 Jun - 7:38

Starting to look like a Tibs, Warbs, Heaslip back row is in their mind for Saturday. Parling to come in for POC and who know what they are thinking in the backs. Manu has to prove his fitness so if he has a stormer could he come in at 12. Bowe not being risked but sounds like he has a good chance of starting but no need for him to prove his fitness?

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by chargedowntotheface Mon 24 Jun - 8:35

why would you think Tipuric is now likely to start?
 Tipuric was completely ineffective against the brumbies. he got schooled by Faingaa Jr, who has about 5 S15 games under his belt.
the only changes i would make would be youngs for phillips and parling for POC. (Grey onto the bench.) and maybe bowe to replace maitland on the bench.

chargedowntotheface

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 24 Jun - 9:05

George Carlin wrote:Shows the importance of a goalkicker though too, Yappy.

1/2p has only missed something like 2 pots at goal the entire tour which gives him a bonkers strike rate - something like 96% was being trotted out for the first game. It's the difference between winning and losing and I don't think that anyone would suggest that he is replaced - despite (and I'm going to whisper this before I get wedgied by everyone out here) either missing or being out of position for two key tackles for each of the Falau tries. I don't mind about that though - I'll happily put it down to Falau having feet like Fred Astaire and I'm not sure anyone would have made those tackles.

Bit harsh. The attempted tackle on Falau was a tough one and the first I can remember him not nailing for a long long time, his legs are so long it seems hard to get arms around them when he is full flight. The first however was Norths error. Halfpenny was in position to tackle the ball carrier (Genia) it was George who having ran a good defensive line initially isolating Genia from Falau, who then decided that he needed to tackle Genia despite the fact he was covered, leaving Falau unchallenged to collect the nudge ahead.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun - 9:05

Tipuric's one "bad" game doesn't hide his fantastic performances for both Wales, Ospreys and even the opening Lions games this season. He would still be my starting 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Jun - 9:07

Bit concerned that awj and parling lack a bit of oomph - again would have gone for Gray but never mind!

Lydiate captain is a strange one - he always strikes me as being a quiet guy - Kearney?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Jun - 9:11

IronMike wrote:Tipuric's one "bad" game doesn't hide his fantastic performances for both Wales, Ospreys and even the opening Lions games this season. He would still be my starting 7.

but unlikely to be Gatland's. After all he only played in the 6Ns due to injuries to first Warbs then RyanJ. I do not see much Rabo action, so have only seen Tipuric for the Lions (where he has been rather average and looked underpowered), Wales against England (where he shone but credit shoudl be given more to a dominant front 5 for Wales) and against Tigers in HEC (where Salvi shaded him at the Liberty, and Waldrom!!! outplayed him at Welford Rd). I know he is highly rated by posters on here - but I have to take that opinion on faith as in the main he has been poor when I have seen him play.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 24 Jun - 9:24

dragonbreath wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Shows the importance of a goalkicker though too, Yappy.

Bit harsh. The attempted tackle on Falau was a tough one and the first I can remember him not nailing for a long long time, his legs are so long it seems hard to get arms around them when he is full flight. The first however was Norths error. Halfpenny was in position to tackle the ball carrier (Genia) it was George who having ran a good defensive line initially isolating Genia from Falau, who then decided that he needed to tackle Genia despite the fact he was covered, leaving Falau unchallenged to collect the nudge ahead.
As an england fan i reckon we should have had Goode instead, he can't attack from deep, isn't a great place kicker, his territorial kicking is okay though and most importantly he's always in the right position !  (the right position to catch the ball then kick it back), how defenses tremble !

Halfpenny is obviously being wrapped in cotton wool and asked not to attack like he usually does for wales, which is a shame. I guess he is so valuable to the side they cant risk an injury so don't send him charging the line at speed, Leaving it to the massive wingers and croft out wide.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 24 Jun - 9:51

chargedowntotheface wrote:why would you think Tipuric is now likely to start?
 Tipuric was completely ineffective against the brumbies. he got schooled by Faingaa Jr, who has about 5 S15 games under his belt.
the only changes i would make would be youngs for phillips and parling for POC. (Grey onto the bench.) and maybe bowe to replace maitland on the bench.

Only because Tiburic isn't involved at all against the Rebels, suggesting they are planning to use him on Saturday. Parling was due to start and as soon as POC was confirmed as going home he was withdrawn from the game and Evans brought in instead. Croft has now been put on the bench, which suggests they are thinking of dropping him.

All speculation on my part, obviously, but there is no game today so have to do something!

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Jun - 9:54

Um, isn't Tipuric named on the bench for the Rebels match?

Croft has been named on the bench because they need another forward and he is the only one able to even vaguely cover second row. (Never at international duty, but has played there in an HEC final)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 24 Jun - 9:57

Ah, fair enough. Still think they must be thinking about Tipuric starting on Saturday otherwise it seems a bit odd him not starting at 7 tomorrow.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Jun - 10:00

Personally I thought they were thinking about SOB being on the test bench and giving him a run out to get some time into his legs.

Equally I reckon Connor Murray is being given a chance to oust Ben Youngs from the test bench.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Jun - 10:02

Thing is If Gray and or Evans have a stormer, or both have stormers will Gatland have the courage to play them on Saturday instead of AWJ or Parling.

AWJ was a bit annonymous on Saturday.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Jun - 10:02

Phillips was one of the worst performers on Saturday - reckon he'll stick with him?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Jun - 10:03

To be honest, I'm not sure that who is starting on Tuesday is the determining factor as to who is best placed for a bench slot on Saturday. If people get hauled off at half time, I think that's much more significant.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 24 Jun - 10:06

RDW_Scotland wrote:Phillips was one of the worst performers on Saturday - reckon he'll stick with him?

Yes. I firmly believe Phillips will start on Saturday.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chargedowntotheface Mon 24 Jun - 10:11

^ What he said

chargedowntotheface

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 24 Jun - 11:08

jelly wrote:Ah, fair enough. Still think they must be thinking about Tipuric starting on Saturday otherwise it seems a bit odd him not starting at 7 tomorrow.

Not sure - There are three flankers who missed the test 15, and they could just be rotating which two start this week, surely?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Jun - 12:16

I dunno if it is just me but is taking Parling out of the test against the rebels a bit of a shocker?

The confidence of both Gray and Evans will be shattered since in all reality they have been deemed expendable by the Lions management.

Clearly they are not in contention for a test slot otherwise one of them would have been withdrawin as well.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 24 Jun - 12:46

Though, in fairness, you do have to have 2 locks so you can't withdraw them all!

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 24 Jun - 13:22

Withdrawing Parling is saying something without actually saying it though, and now the Side that is going out against the rebels will be lacking a lock who is used to running the lineout calls.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 24 Jun - 13:28

Withdrawing Parling says very clearly that AWJ and Parling will be the locks on Saturday. Parling's presence on the bench last Saturday clearly shows that Gatland sees him next in line, and withdrawing him from the game tomorrow confirms it.

The question is whether Evans or Gray make the bench. I'd just pick the player who performs best tomorrow - give them an incentive (there's the 3rd Test to think about as well - there could easily be further injuries).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next