The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

+50
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
glamorganalun
munkian
wales606
Totalflanker
gelodge
Hookisms and Hyperbole
mbernz
GunsGerms
RubyGuby
nth
markb
Comfort
Portnoy's Complaint
Pal Joey
Cyril
tecphobe
R!skysports
Breadvan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
sad_gimp
Pyleboy65
Scoped
JmD
Heuer27
GLove39
Scrumpy
SecretFly
bsando
Cari
flyhalffactory
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
thomh
RuggerRadge2611
sirtidychris
dragonbreath
chargedowntotheface
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
jelly
Glas a du
Janecory
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
LondonTiger
George Carlin
54 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 5 Empty Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun 2013 - 8:26

First topic message reminder :

AAMI Park, Melbourne
Tuesday June 25, 7:40pm local

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Referee: Romain Poite (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)
Assessor: Lyndon Bray

TEAM LINE UPS:

Rebels

01. Nic Henderson
02. Ged Robinson
03. Laurie Weeks
04. Cadeyrn Neville
05. Hugh Pyle
06. Jarrod Saffy
07. Scott Fuglistaller
08. Gareth Delve (c)

09. Luke Burgess^
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Lachlan Mitchell
12. Rory Sidey
13. Mitch Inman
14. Tom English
15. Jason Woodward

Replacements:
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah Nau*
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Luke Jones
20. Jordy Reid
21. Nic Stirzaker
22. Angus Roberts
23. Cooper Vuna

*Rebels debut
^Rebels first start

Lions:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Sean Maitland
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Brad Barritt
11. Simon Zebo
10. Owen Farrell
09. Conor Murray

08. Toby Faletau
07. Sean O'Brien
06. Dan Lydiate (captain)
05. Ian Evans
04. Richie Gray
03. Dan Cole
02. Richard Hibbard
01. Ryan Grant

Replacements:
Rory Best, Tom Court, Matt Stevens, Tom Croft, Justin Tipuric, Ben Youngs, Billy Twelvetrees, Stuart Hogg.

Preview 1 (from ESPN Sport):

Luke Burgess to direct Rebels
ESPN Staff
June 23, 2013

Luke Burgess will make his first start in Australia in almost two years after being named in Melbourne Rebels' run-on side to play the British & Irish Lions at AAMI Park on Tuesday.

Burgess, who has played 37 Tests for the Wallabies, recently returned to Australia from French Top 14 side with a stated aim of facing the Lions. "Every rugby player's dream is to have the opportunity to play the British & Irish Lions in their home country, and I am very honoured to have been selected to start for the Rebels and get a chance to play them," Burgess said. "Having been in Melbourne a couple of weeks now, I have built some solid combinations with this young playing group, and have enjoyed working alongside Nic Stirzaker in the half-back role. Together, we have both been able to apply a game plan that will look to challenge the Lions, and something we are both looking forward to."

Burgess made mention of the contrasting style between the two continents as a point of difference in his game management. "European rugby is a lot different to what we have down under, and I think I can bring an edge to the Rebels' attack and control the tempo of the game. It's important we establish this early, as we have seen what they can do when allowed to control the match."

Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor and Nick Phipps are unavailable for selection due to Wallabaies commitments, but the Rebels welcome the return of Hugh Pyle and Jarrod Saffy from injury. Rookie fly-half Bryce Hegarty also returns to the run-on side after missing the Rebels' previous match due to illness.

"There are many great milestones in this match," Rebels coach Damien Hill said. "Not only is it the first opportunity the Rebels have to play the British & Irish Lions in front of our members and fans, but it will be the first match for Cruze Ah-Nau at the Rebels and Luke's first start at the club. I am very proud of the way Melbourne has embraced the Rebels, and we hope to repay that with a record attendance at AAMI Park, and a historical moment in Victorian sporting history.

"We have been without a number of our high-profile players this season but the squad has met these challenges head on with many of the younger members like Bryce, Tom English, Jason Woodward, Jordy Reid, Angus Roberts and Pat Leafa getting their first taste of Super Rugby. Their efforts have contributed to a number of excellent team performances this season and they are excited about the challenge they will face together on Tuesday night."
Preview 2 (from ABC Sport):

2013 Lions Tour: England centre Manu Tuilagi to face Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday

England centre Manu Tuilagi will return to action after injury against the Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday after coach Warren Gatland named him in the British and Irish Lions team for the match on Sunday.

Tuilagi suffered a shoulder injury during the match against the Queensland Reds two weeks ago and has not played since but will link up with Brad Barritt for the match against Australia's youngest Super Rugby team.

The team will be led by England lock Geoff Parling, who links up in the second row with Scotland's Richie Gray in a strong pack.

Although this was clearly a second string, or dirt-tracker, team, Gatland said a good performance would put players in contention for the second Test, where they will be looking to wrap up the series after Saturday's 23-21 win over the Wallabies.

"I think it's important for the players to get an opportunity on Tuesday," the New Zealander said.

"We've kept saying all along that there's still a chance for performances to really catch the eye and Tuesday night is another chance to go out and impress.

"We were disappointed with the Brumbies result, I think it was a gentle reminder of certain things we needed to remember for the Test match.

"So for certain guys taking the field on Tuesday, it would be nice to continue with that momentum for the second Test."

Several players saw their Test places go up in smoke when the Lions lost to a Brumbies side in Canberra last Tuesday and get a chance to make amends.

There is also a string contingent of players who were on the bench against the Wallabies at Lang Park, including loose forward Dan Lydiate and Scottish back Sean Maitland.

Owen Farrell starts at fly half in a halves partnership with Irishman Conor Murray while hooker Rory Best, who captained the Lions against the Brumbies, is named among the replacements.

Sean O'Brien gets a chance to impress at openside flanker with Lydiate coming in at blindside and Justin Tipuric, a favourite of many for a Test start at the beginning of the tour, on the bench.

Irish winger Tommy Bowe, who played a major role on the 2009 series in South Africa, has made a rapid recovery after fracturing a bone in his hand against the Reds but was not included in the team to ensure he is fit for Saturday.

There was also good news about another centre, Welsh battering ram Jamie Roberts, who sustained a hamstring strain in last weekend's match against the New South Wales Waratahs.

"They've done a fantastic job getting those guys back and fit and we don't think Jamie Roberts is too far away as well, he was up and running last week and he's potentially in contention for that second Test as well," Gatland said on Sunday.

"So to have Tommy fit and back and to have Manu fit and back as well it's a great contribution from the medical team and the fitness staff.

"The squad is looking healthy, we've got nearly everyone available, which is great, and if you look at the Australians, they took a bit of a battering last night.

"So we're in a good place now and looking forward to Tuesday."

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon 24 Jun 2013 - 7:38; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 5 Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:00

Heuer27 wrote:Kearney is not having a great game he's trying too hard to impress. Faletau having a good game though. The whole lions team seem a bit nervy though. Trying to force the game a bit

I guess a few individuals feel the need to impress.

Penalty try for the Lions and YC for Reid.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 5 Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:01

Penalty try + YC

we must go for the juggular now
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:01

Youngs on. This could be good!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:01

Youngs on for Murray

0-28 at 63:00

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:02

Strange one 36 on and then moving Hogg out to fullback.He's only been on 5 mins. This game is over as a measure of the players who are challenging for test spots.
The whole structure of the game has been destroyed

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:04

Croft on for Lydiate. Lyds has had a good game I think.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:04

Very surprised that an aussie team are this negative, they know they can't score so just keep booting it down field to keep the score down.

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:05

Just read somewhere that the ref is Glen Jackson, former Saracens fly half??? Can anyone confirm???

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:05

Rebels pinged for not releasing...their 19 didn't want to let go of Tips. Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:06

Griff wrote:Just read somewhere that the ref is Glen Jackson, former Saracens fly half???  Can anyone confirm???

It is
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:07

Griff wrote:Just read somewhere that the ref is Glen Jackson, former Saracens fly half???  Can anyone confirm???

Yep. I think he's a very good ref
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:07

Yes it is the former Sarrie Glen Jackson

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:08

Great turnover by the Rebels on the try line there. Shame their man couldn't tank it down the field and score...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:08

Great take by Zebo and clever pass under pressure.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:09

Croft hasn't made a tackle yet

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:10

Has Manu done enough?

I guess he needs game time hence why his still on but I would have thought if he was going to play on Sat he'd be off by now?

BY TRY
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:10

No suprised Croft hasnt tackled. Hes in midfeild in defence for some reason

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:11

Superb try from Youngs set up by Croft.  Nearly knocked his head off on the post though when he went under. Very Happy

0-35 at 73:00

Last edited by Cari on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:12; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:11

Croft takes one at the back & Ben Youngs has the pace to go over & hopefully get the nod over Phillips

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:11

Pyleboy65 wrote:Croft hasn't made a tackle yet

Smile assuming it was a joke

Rolling Eyes if it wasn't

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:12

Yup, it's Glenda. I didn't have much of a problem with the ref at the weekend, most of us knew what his modus operandi was, but I am always happy to see Glenda in the middle, a recent player with experience in both hemispheres that the players respect, good authority and communication whilst still generally letting play run nicely.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:13

Not a joke I'm afraid - I want my 6 to be more than a show pony who can win ball at the back of the lineout

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:13

............back to ther Rugby, eh boyz and girlz?

another disappointing performance?  Seems a lot of the good plays are individual effort rather than good solid team play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:13

Rebels opting for a quick tap and chase...they should get a score here really.  Good attacking position. Their man is back from the bin too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:14

Surprised if Phillips is dropped. Although if he plays like last sat,he might be subbed sooner.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:15

Who has had the best performance today? Glen Jackson.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

NEWS:
This will be the 100th victory by the Lions on Aussie soil.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Grey - always to be expected, as another scratch side

but to be 35 nil up is a good position to be in

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Breadvan wrote:Surprised if Phillips is dropped. Although if he plays like last sat,he might be subbed sooner.

Yeah he'll start all right. Not much competition at scrumhalf.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

They're obviously going to have a word with Phillips about not sniping so much this weekend. I think I'd still start him, but I wouldn't be upset to see Youngs start.

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Pyleboy65 wrote:Not a joke I'm afraid - I want my 6 to be more than a show pony who can win ball at the back of the lineout

Sorry, I thought he'd only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes when you made the post.

I'm not Croft's biggest fan but the abuse some people give him is just ridiculous. He plays in a different way to other 6's, but then Lydiate is different to O'Brien, or Wood, or Brown, but there is no way he just hangs out wide hoping to score without the tacit approval of the coaching team.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:16

Pyleboy65 wrote:Not a joke I'm afraid - I want my 6 to be more than a show pony who can win ball at the back of the lineout

Erm
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:17

Breadvan wrote:Surprised if Phillips is dropped. Although if he plays like last sat,he might be subbed sooner.

Unfortunately I think your right Breadvan. But he should have been taken off earlier last Sat. & Ben Youngs made a big difference in the tempo.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:17

Riskysports wrote:Grey - always to be expected, as another scratch side

but to be 35 nil up is a good position to be in
I know you are right, mate.  No real doubts there.
Its just that I don't like it.  I want more.  Probably too greedy?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:18

The stats have Croft down for 3 tackles

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:19

Lions won't want to concede anything now...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:19

Another pointless game
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:19

YES! The Lions bundle Woodward into touch.

FT 0-35. Well done lads. clap

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:20

Why pointless Victor? You've been saying all second half that Farrell has earned a start spot from it!

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:21

VictorU3 wrote:Another pointless game

That's a nice attitude for a "fan" to have.  Maybe you should've gone and done something else?

Gareth Delve stills sounds a bit Kairdiff. Very Happy

Last edited by Cari on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:22; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:21

Scoped wrote:Why pointless Victor? You've been saying all second half that Farrell has earned a start spot from it!

0! thumbsup

Last edited by VictorU3 on Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:22; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:21

jelly wrote:

Sorry, I thought he'd only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes when you made the post.

He had, in which time as far as I could tell Lions had all the possession so no real chance to make a tackle.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:22

markb wrote:The stats have Croft down for 3 tackles

Up to 4 now, the same number as Tipuric who came on 10 mins earlier.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:25

Woops! SOB swearing in his post match interview Laugh

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:26

markb wrote:
markb wrote:The stats have Croft down for 3 tackles

Up to 4 now, the same number as Tipuric who came on 10 mins earlier.

Now up to 6 for Croft in 15 mins, 5 for Tipuric in 25 mins.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:26

An Irish man can't hold it in..it's an affront to his freedom of speech to be forced to give a complete sentence without a swear word!  F**k it!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:27

So who put there hands up - from the text it seems

Grant for bench (or start depending on Gatland)
Maitland had a good game - Bench?
Gray - in the mix
Hogg - not given any chance again but Kearney not having a great game may mean bench
Youngs to start

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:27

Brian Moores MOTM is Toby again!

Deserves a Lions start.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:28

SecretFly wrote:An Irish man can't hold it in..it's an affront to his freedom of speech to be forced to give a complete sentence without a swear word!  F**k it!

You can take the man out of Ireland...laughing

Nice hat Hibbz! Erm Good to see Sammo with the fans too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 12:28

How much alike was Youngs try to the one he got on debut against Australia. Sounds similar.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next