The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

+50
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
glamorganalun
munkian
wales606
Totalflanker
gelodge
Hookisms and Hyperbole
mbernz
GunsGerms
RubyGuby
nth
markb
Comfort
Portnoy's Complaint
Pal Joey
Cyril
tecphobe
R!skysports
Breadvan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
sad_gimp
Pyleboy65
Scoped
JmD
Heuer27
GLove39
Scrumpy
SecretFly
bsando
Cari
flyhalffactory
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
thomh
RuggerRadge2611
sirtidychris
dragonbreath
chargedowntotheface
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
jelly
Glas a du
Janecory
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
LondonTiger
George Carlin
54 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 8 Empty Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by George Carlin Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

AAMI Park, Melbourne
Tuesday June 25, 7:40pm local

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Referee: Romain Poite (France), Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Television match official: Ben Skeen (New Zealand)
Assessor: Lyndon Bray

TEAM LINE UPS:

Rebels

01. Nic Henderson
02. Ged Robinson
03. Laurie Weeks
04. Cadeyrn Neville
05. Hugh Pyle
06. Jarrod Saffy
07. Scott Fuglistaller
08. Gareth Delve (c)

09. Luke Burgess^
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Lachlan Mitchell
12. Rory Sidey
13. Mitch Inman
14. Tom English
15. Jason Woodward

Replacements:
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah Nau*
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Luke Jones
20. Jordy Reid
21. Nic Stirzaker
22. Angus Roberts
23. Cooper Vuna

*Rebels debut
^Rebels first start

Lions:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Sean Maitland
13. Manu Tuilagi
12. Brad Barritt
11. Simon Zebo
10. Owen Farrell
09. Conor Murray

08. Toby Faletau
07. Sean O'Brien
06. Dan Lydiate (captain)
05. Ian Evans
04. Richie Gray
03. Dan Cole
02. Richard Hibbard
01. Ryan Grant

Replacements:
Rory Best, Tom Court, Matt Stevens, Tom Croft, Justin Tipuric, Ben Youngs, Billy Twelvetrees, Stuart Hogg.

Preview 1 (from ESPN Sport):

Luke Burgess to direct Rebels
ESPN Staff
June 23, 2013

Luke Burgess will make his first start in Australia in almost two years after being named in Melbourne Rebels' run-on side to play the British & Irish Lions at AAMI Park on Tuesday.

Burgess, who has played 37 Tests for the Wallabies, recently returned to Australia from French Top 14 side with a stated aim of facing the Lions. "Every rugby player's dream is to have the opportunity to play the British & Irish Lions in their home country, and I am very honoured to have been selected to start for the Rebels and get a chance to play them," Burgess said. "Having been in Melbourne a couple of weeks now, I have built some solid combinations with this young playing group, and have enjoyed working alongside Nic Stirzaker in the half-back role. Together, we have both been able to apply a game plan that will look to challenge the Lions, and something we are both looking forward to."

Burgess made mention of the contrasting style between the two continents as a point of difference in his game management. "European rugby is a lot different to what we have down under, and I think I can bring an edge to the Rebels' attack and control the tempo of the game. It's important we establish this early, as we have seen what they can do when allowed to control the match."

Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor and Nick Phipps are unavailable for selection due to Wallabaies commitments, but the Rebels welcome the return of Hugh Pyle and Jarrod Saffy from injury. Rookie fly-half Bryce Hegarty also returns to the run-on side after missing the Rebels' previous match due to illness.

"There are many great milestones in this match," Rebels coach Damien Hill said. "Not only is it the first opportunity the Rebels have to play the British & Irish Lions in front of our members and fans, but it will be the first match for Cruze Ah-Nau at the Rebels and Luke's first start at the club. I am very proud of the way Melbourne has embraced the Rebels, and we hope to repay that with a record attendance at AAMI Park, and a historical moment in Victorian sporting history.

"We have been without a number of our high-profile players this season but the squad has met these challenges head on with many of the younger members like Bryce, Tom English, Jason Woodward, Jordy Reid, Angus Roberts and Pat Leafa getting their first taste of Super Rugby. Their efforts have contributed to a number of excellent team performances this season and they are excited about the challenge they will face together on Tuesday night."
Preview 2 (from ABC Sport):

2013 Lions Tour: England centre Manu Tuilagi to face Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday

England centre Manu Tuilagi will return to action after injury against the Melbourne Rebels on Tuesday after coach Warren Gatland named him in the British and Irish Lions team for the match on Sunday.

Tuilagi suffered a shoulder injury during the match against the Queensland Reds two weeks ago and has not played since but will link up with Brad Barritt for the match against Australia's youngest Super Rugby team.

The team will be led by England lock Geoff Parling, who links up in the second row with Scotland's Richie Gray in a strong pack.

Although this was clearly a second string, or dirt-tracker, team, Gatland said a good performance would put players in contention for the second Test, where they will be looking to wrap up the series after Saturday's 23-21 win over the Wallabies.

"I think it's important for the players to get an opportunity on Tuesday," the New Zealander said.

"We've kept saying all along that there's still a chance for performances to really catch the eye and Tuesday night is another chance to go out and impress.

"We were disappointed with the Brumbies result, I think it was a gentle reminder of certain things we needed to remember for the Test match.

"So for certain guys taking the field on Tuesday, it would be nice to continue with that momentum for the second Test."

Several players saw their Test places go up in smoke when the Lions lost to a Brumbies side in Canberra last Tuesday and get a chance to make amends.

There is also a string contingent of players who were on the bench against the Wallabies at Lang Park, including loose forward Dan Lydiate and Scottish back Sean Maitland.

Owen Farrell starts at fly half in a halves partnership with Irishman Conor Murray while hooker Rory Best, who captained the Lions against the Brumbies, is named among the replacements.

Sean O'Brien gets a chance to impress at openside flanker with Lydiate coming in at blindside and Justin Tipuric, a favourite of many for a Test start at the beginning of the tour, on the bench.

Irish winger Tommy Bowe, who played a major role on the 2009 series in South Africa, has made a rapid recovery after fracturing a bone in his hand against the Reds but was not included in the team to ensure he is fit for Saturday.

There was also good news about another centre, Welsh battering ram Jamie Roberts, who sustained a hamstring strain in last weekend's match against the New South Wales Waratahs.

"They've done a fantastic job getting those guys back and fit and we don't think Jamie Roberts is too far away as well, he was up and running last week and he's potentially in contention for that second Test as well," Gatland said on Sunday.

"So to have Tommy fit and back and to have Manu fit and back as well it's a great contribution from the medical team and the fitness staff.

"The squad is looking healthy, we've got nearly everyone available, which is great, and if you look at the Australians, they took a bit of a battering last night.

"So we're in a good place now and looking forward to Tuesday."

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 8 Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by thomh Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:55 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
thomh wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:
He was playing "Outside" (not left-right) - His inability to nail the man on the rush, or his positional faux pas (on occasions) in that respect often left Maitland and/or Kearney attempting to shore up the holes, hence on the counter the distribution lacked cohesion as one or both of them were not in the attacking line. Did you notice how many times we botched up the attacking movement between 9-14, then watch how many times the line was broken and more importantly where it was broken.

All very theoretical, but can you actually point to any instances of it happening?

As I said to you I will make a point of providing you with examples throughout the match...........  and as you have taped it then you can watch it and come back with your opinions ok?

OK - probably better to continue by PM though rather than clogging up the thread any more.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 8 Empty Re: Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 am

Just watched the game. Sort of wonder whether people watch games or just reiterate what commentators have said previously.

Manu - defensive positioning poor, nope he never once stepped out the line and was drifting in sync throughout. Defensive holes were appearing closer in where the forwards were not filtering into the line from the breakdown. An extremely restrained Manu in defence.

Good game in all with Cole and Falatau stepping up though both have been a touch under cooked so far so it might be a bit late. Manu (he seemed to be blowing the rust off a touch) and Barritt did alright, Zebo shone though Gats likes his wingers to have a good resource of power so he may be unlucky. Kearney and Maitland were both poor and off the pace.

Backrow worked nicely though a little clumsy in defence at the breakdown. Evans did a good job in the lineout though Gray continued his underwhelming season. Front row did a job though Hibbard will be kicking himself over his throwing. Farrell unrecognizable from the start of the tour with both Murray and Youngs showing considerably more form than Phillips at the weekend.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 am

Sam, I know none of us like having our Club players criticised, and I fully agree with you on Manu who was restrained in defence and had a good game - he didn't run destructively much to be honest but I think he was consciously trying to show his distribution game to Gatland as a possibility to play 12 and I thought his passing was good. However, I don't think Cole, who has been excellent for you guys and England for ages, was especially good to be honest, solid in the scrums but still nowhere near his best and that does worry me a bit
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 am

Since the France game in the Six Nations Cole has struggled at international level. I don't know if he's tired or is struggling with this season's scrum regulations, but it's a bit of a worry.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 am

Rules change again next year so hard to predict what will happen. Plus losing a scrummaging contest to Domingo is no disgrace. But his decline is worrying, partially because he is so key to us. Wilson played well in Argentina but I hardly think we can count that as a 6N standard Test!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am

Agree that Cole isn't at his best but he had a much better game today. Had the Rebels loosehead in his pocket and seemed to finally get some of his loose game going again. As I said It's a little bit too little to late which is a shame as he had a great AP final where he slaughtered Tonghuia at the scrum. Maybe he needs some rest it was a big second half of the season for him with Castro off form and a lot of international looseheads after Domingo the lack of a real bruiser in the second row isn't helping any of the props on tour. Maybe Big Jim Hamilton would have been more useful that Richie Gray.

Manu is definitely trying to show off his skillset to try and get noticed. I think he took it easy on the big hits and crashes to show off some maturity and protect that shoulder a little.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 am

Do the Irish think Lydiate had a good game? Or were you all still dreaming that yourselves and Sean O'Brien were in Wonderland...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 am

Both Lydiate and SOB had good games
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 am

The Saint wrote:Do the Irish think Lydiate had a good game? Or were you all still dreaming that yourselves and Sean O'Brien were in Wonderland...

Can't you just ask a normal question Saint, without the aggro?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:03 am

It was a fair question, seeing as those lot love to give Lydiate a hard time whilst believing SOB is the best back-row in the world. I didn't expect them to give him a pat on the back TBH.
Both played very well IMO. O'Brien should be in the squad for the 2nd test or perhaps Faletau depending on how the management team see it. Danny has had his chance and now it is someone else's go, but he'll still be in the reckoning for the final test.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 am

I bet Lydiate starts the 2nd test. Just a feeling
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Manu is definitely trying to show off his skillset to try and get noticed. I think he took it easy on the big hits and crashes to show off some maturity and protect that shoulder a little.
Yeah, he seemed to have a very measured performance today. He didn't really smash anyone and looked to pass/offload more rather than hitting the line. I guess it's all about getting a balance but (in hindsight) it's good that he didn't just go hell-for-leather and risk aggravating the stinger.

Showing that he has a few strings to his bow is good for him (and the Lions).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I bet Lydiate starts the 2nd test. Just a feeling

If it happens then Croft should be out of the matchday 23. It's hard to imagine that though, because Gatland rates both players very highly. SOB, Faletau and Tips have each played well enough to be given a shot against Aus. It has to come at the expense of somebody and it may seem harsh but that's the reality of the situation when the Lions have so many good back-rowers.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by macscot Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:11 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Just watched the game. Sort of wonder whether people watch games or just reiterate what commentators have said previously.

Manu - defensive positioning poor, nope he never once stepped out the line and was drifting in sync throughout. Defensive holes were appearing closer in where the forwards were not filtering into the line from the breakdown. An extremely restrained Manu in defence.

Good game in all with Cole and Falatau stepping up though both have been a touch under cooked so far so it might be a bit late. Manu (he seemed to be blowing the rust off a touch) and Barritt did alright, Zebo shone though Gats likes his wingers to have a good resource of power so he may be unlucky. Kearney and Maitland were both poor and off the pace.

Backrow worked nicely though a little clumsy in defence at the breakdown. Evans did a good job in the lineout though Gray continued his underwhelming season. Front row did a job though Hibbard will be kicking himself over his throwing. Farrell unrecognizable from the start of the tour with both Murray and Youngs showing considerably more form than Phillips at the weekend.

Think you must have forgotten to put your glasses on while watching the match Sam ;-)
Falatau, SOB, Farrell, Youngs, Gray and Maitland were the outstanding players on the Lions team today.  Cole was distinctly underwhelming, which is disappointing as I thought he would push Adam Jones all the way. Apart for one possible wayward pass he showed the rest of the backs an outstanding display of positioning and unselfishness.
We all see things differently at times.  Can't wait for Saturday's match.  Please have your glasses ready.

macscot

Back to top Go down

Post by macscot Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 am

Oops, meant to say Maitland showed the backs an outstanding display - couldn't find my glasses!

macscot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:15 am

The Saint wrote:It was a fair question, seeing as those lot love to give Lydiate a hard time whilst believing SOB is the best back-row in the world. I didn't expect them to give him a pat on the back TBH.
Both played very well IMO. O'Brien should be in the squad for the 2nd test or perhaps Faletau depending on how the management team see it. Danny has had his chance and now it is someone else's go, but he'll still be in the reckoning for the final test.
Which lot are you generalizing about now. Some stereotype in your head?

You probably believe in the Astrology section in the papers too? Where one twelfth of the world's population are going to meet a dark stranger..... Does that mean that another twelfth ARE the dark stranger? Laugh

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 am

Well my horoscope for today said that I'd be given reason to be happy. And now I am Smile.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:18 am

The Saint wrote:Well my horoscope for today said that I'd be given reason to be happy. And now I am Smile.

For the result or for the bite? Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 am

Wink

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am

The Saint wrote:Well my horoscope for today said that I'd be given reason to be happy. And now I am Smile.
Good man. See what a little attention will do for you? Works wonders with me missus too. thumbsup

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I bet Lydiate starts the 2nd test. Just a feeling

Stop giving the game away CJ - You were told that inconfidence thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:I do get frustrated by Croft on the wing preventing the wing getting the ball.
This again? Croft was only on for about 15 minutes, got in his fair share of tackles (check the stats) and set up Youngs' try from the line-out. I'm not sure he had enough time to 'showboat on the wing'.

Are you sure you didn't just type this comment before the game and then pasted it in regardless of how it panned out?

I think some people just have opinions of players and don't like to change them even based on evidence right in front of them.

You don't have to watch too long,this time he was on the right wing when the ball was won on the left. I did not say Croft did not make an impact.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 am

Sorry macscot but I can't agree. Maitland looked slow when attempting to go on the outside and far to often dropped the ball onto the foot for a poor kick straight to touch. He really needs to be stepping back in and either resetting or finding the support. Kicking the ball away with no hope of regaining it was poor decision making. For some reason he stopped coming off his wing in the second half and his bungled pass to Manu cost the Lions a try. Shame as he's a great footballer, I'd like to see him have a go at fullback in the near future, I think it'll suit him better.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 am

glamorganalun wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:I do get frustrated by Croft on the wing preventing the wing getting the ball.
This again? Croft was only on for about 15 minutes, got in his fair share of tackles (check the stats) and set up Youngs' try from the line-out. I'm not sure he had enough time to 'showboat on the wing'.

Are you sure you didn't just type this comment before the game and then pasted it in regardless of how it panned out?

I think some people just have opinions of players and don't like to change them even based on evidence right in front of them.

You don't have to watch too long,this time he was on the right wing when the ball was won on the left. I did not say Croft did not make an impact.
Ok, glam. It just looks like you were trying hard to find fault. I just don't see the 'Croft doesn't get involved enough' argument.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by macscot Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:47 am

Sam, let's agree to disagree?
Think your suggestion of Maitland at fullback is good option. Maybe see Scotland with a back line of: Laidlaw, Hogg, Visser, Scott, Heathcote, Seymour & Maitland. But we got to get a coach here first ;-()

macscot

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 am

Some redemption for last weeks midweek team; thinking Best, Gray, Maitland, Barritt all righted a few wrongs. Unfortunately for Best and Gray I think too late, their showing against the Brumbies will have cost them a place in the 23 but good to see a big, big improvement in their lineout performances a week on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 am

Notch wrote:Some redemption for last weeks midweek team; thinking Best, Gray, Maitland, Barritt all righted a few wrongs. Unfortunately for Best and Gray I think too late, their showing against the Brumbies will have cost them a place in the 23 but good to see a big, big improvement in their lineout performances a week on.

So basically your hooker has screwed up Grays chances of a test start this week by throwing the ball into the lineout like a 20 thumbed man wearing mittens? Run Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions, 25 June - Page 8 1347041234
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:11 am

Thought Gray was poor in that game too. Very static in the lineout and poor calls. Much better today.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 am

Bah your right, i was just fishing. Just about everyone played better today.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Official match stats:
http://www.lionsrugby.com/2013tour/match_centre_2013.php?section=playstatsaway&fixid=169135

Big numbers for Toby. Only the back three made more meters with ball in hand.

Also Gray's numbers are bigger in almost every single respect than Evans'. Not that things as inconvenient as facts change anyone's mind on these boards, of course.

o'Brien the most consistent and impressive across the boards in terms of what he managed to do.

Leaders on the tackle count were Lydiate, Faletau and Gray, followed by SOB.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Stats schmats.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Glas - I thought that you loved the stats?
I recall something about 36-24-36 being a favourite of yours? chin
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Glas prefers 30/03/17/03

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Glas prefers 30/03/17/03
Is that a stardate? Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm

He'll always be Mr 66.67% to me. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Cyril wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Ok, glam. It just looks like you were trying hard to find fault. I just don't see the 'Croft doesn't get involved enough' argument.

Generally I don't agree with Alun for the sake of it, but he is quite an unbiased poster. Croft put his hand up today and made the tackles where it counted (normally like Faletau he tackles around the fringes) however Alun is right that Croft on two occasions in the match was on the opposite wing to where the ball actually was.

At the end of the day he is a blindside flanker
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8