The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

+23
Cyril
maestegmafia
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
SecretFly
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Scrumpy
offload
Pal Joey
Thomond
GunsGerms
Portnoy's Complaint
R!skysports
tigertattie
George Carlin
Bonesaw's ready
Jhamer25
LondonTiger
Breadvan
RuggerRadge2611
ScarletSpiderman
Geordie
Luckless Pedestrian
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? - Page 2 Empty A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

The thought occurred to me yesterday evening: if I had to choose, on pain of death, between a Lions series win and England (and Wales) retaining the Ashes, which would it be?

Which would you choose?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? - Page 2 Empty Re: A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by Cyril Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 am

Anyway, for me the Ashes is ahead of the Lions.

Both good contests, but the Ashes has a certain frisson not really present in the Lions/Aussies contests.

I guess you need to enjoy Test Cricket and be English (and Welsh) or Australian to really get it.

There's room for both.

Last edited by Cyril on 606v2 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes? - Page 2 Empty Re: A Lions series win or retaining the Ashes?

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 am

Linebreaker wrote:No, much more recent than that, Doc. Smile

1989 -2005... or 16 long years.

You get a bit tired after 10-12 years and start to feel sorry for the opposition. Whistle
No, no, no.  Can't be!
I think that's just revisionist history perpetrated by News Corp. or Al Queda or something (oh wait..........)

England.........lose......at...........sport?

although there are times we graciously bow out to give others a whisper of glory, but don't tell anyone.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:14 am

Everyone is entitled to enjoy cricket if they so choose, but in all honesty, I care more about The Voice, Taylor Swift's relationship troubles, Cambodian folk dancing and the fate of the lesser spotted woodpecker than I do about the Ashes.

There are so many more important things to be worrying about in life: arms for Syrian rebels, GCHQ wire tapping, Hogg at 10...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:27 am

IanBru wrote:Everyone is entitled to enjoy cricket if they so choose, but in all honesty, I care more about The Voice, Taylor Swift's relationship troubles, Cambodian folk dancing and the fate of the lesser spotted woodpecker than I do about the Ashes.

There are so many more important things to be worrying about in life: arms for Syrian rebels, GCHQ wire tapping, Hogg at 10...
Each to their own I guess Very Happy
The Hogg at 10 thing is just weird though...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 am

It'll be was watching both, but definitely the Lions for me. There's something special about Lions tours, between the rarity and the folklore of great players from the past.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:No, much more recent than that, Doc. Smile

1989 -2005... or 16 long years.

You get a bit tired after 10-12 years and start to feel sorry for the opposition. Whistle
No, no, no.  Can't be!
I think that's just revisionist history perpetrated by News Corp. or Al Queda or something (oh wait..........)

England.........lose......at...........sport?

although there are times we graciously bow out to give others a whisper of glory, but don't tell anyone.

I know you do. Cycling & jousting for instance. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:35 am

Do cricket outfielders really have "athlete" on their passports? I suppose "standing in pyjamas chewing gum and occasionally shouting "how's heeeeee ref?"" is probably too long to write on the form.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:37 am

If Matt Stevens can say he's an athlete then I think the most unfit of cricketers have the right to call themselves athletes.... that would even stretch to Phil Taylor.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

August 17 Linebreaker.

On that day Oz could well already be 4-0 down in the Ashes and that's the day the ABs come to town to hand out a right hammering to put England in 3rd spot in the IRB rankings.

And all that on top of a Lions whitewash.

(Well I can dream...)rose

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:11 am

greytiger wrote:August 17 Linebreaker.

On that day Oz could well already be 4-0 down in the Ashes and that's the day the ABs come to town to hand out a right hammering to put England in 3rd spot in the IRB rankings.

And all that on top of a Lions whitewash.

(Well I can dream...)rose

and England #1 by Christmas, right? Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 am

Here we go, right from the maths my younger son was doing in school:

If A=B, and B=C, therefore A=C.
With me so far students of exotic maths (and probanly other exotic things)?

Now, here is where everyone needs to follow closely:
England invented the musical group Queen.
Queen invented the song 'We Are The Champions"
Therefore England are Champions.

See?  Easy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Well Freddie Mercury was born in Zanzibar, which I think used to be part of India, so would that make India the champions?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Was Freddie Mercury English? I thought he was from East Africa from an Indian family??? No wonder they won on the weekend in the ICC trophy match!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm

beat me to it LP! Smile

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Zanzibar? You kidding? Never knew that.

But, please keep in mind the English seed spread far and wide in former days. So, still of the English stock, my equation still applies (tenuously).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Zanzibar?  You kidding?  Never knew that.  

But, please keep in mind the English seed spread far and wide in former days.  So, still of the English stock, my equation still applies (tenuously).  

Yep, Farrokh Bulsara aka Freddie Mercury was born to Parsee parents in Zanzibar. Of course that technically makes him Persian (the Parsees are Zoroastrian Persians who migrated to India 1200 years ago to avoid Islamic persecution)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Pete if I'm ever in a pub quiz I'll know who to call!!! Smile

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Personally I'm in favour of scattering the ashes. May not be environmentally sound but I find it a bit creepy to keep ashes on the mantelpiece.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 pm

As I understand, all animals which have bifocal vision (maybe even those with compound eyes), even those with simple light receptors share a common gene which presumably emerged from the Earth's primordial swamp.

Therefore by logic, any human activity that depends on vision (let alone rugby) represents not a country or a race but an unknown soft-bodied organism.

Hard to see how fate spat out Freddie Mercury from that genetic conundrum, but it did.

Allez Angleterre!

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2