The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Regions' official names

+12
glamorganalun
Coleman
profitius
LordDowlais
Luckless Pedestrian
Cardiff Dave
Shifty
ScarletSpiderman
dragon999
wales606
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
international197
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welsh Regions' official names Empty Welsh Regions' official names

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:04 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7610188.stm

I recently came across this article and realized that the Blues and the Dragons haven't officially dropped Cardiff and Newport Gwent, respectively, from their names. I believe they ought to follow the Scarlets and the Ospreys' example; they have dropped Llanelli and Neath Swansea, respectively, from their names. I think this is crucial to avoid confusion between Cardiff RFC and the Blues, Newport RFC and the Dragons. I believe it may also improve Pontypridd RFC's relationship with Cardiff RFC and the Blues, and vice versa.

international197

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regions' official names Empty Re: Welsh Regions' official names

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

international197 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7610188.stm

I recently came across this article and realized that the Blues and the Dragons haven't officially dropped Cardiff and Newport Gwent, respectively, from their names. I believe they ought to follow the Scarlets and the Ospreys' example; they have dropped Llanelli and Neath Swansea, respectively, from their names. I think this is crucial to avoid confusion between Cardiff RFC and the Blues, Newport RFC and the Dragons. I believe it may also improve Pontypridd RFC's relationship with Cardiff RFC and the Blues, and vice versa.
To be honest, from everything I've heard, the Cardiff/Ponty relationship is probably beyond help - too much intransigence on both sides. Also, if the Blues dropped "Cardiff" from their name apparently they'd lose the right to play at CAP. Playing at CCS was a financial disaster for the Blues since local fans decided the 20 minute walk out from the central city was too hard and stopped attending - granted they (last I heard) hadn't started going to CAP either, but at least the rent outgoing are lower.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

Pete C wrote: To be honest, from everything I've heard, the Cardiff/Ponty relationship is probably beyond help - too much intransigence on both sides. Also, if the Blues dropped "Cardiff" from their name apparently they'd lose the right to play at CAP. Playing at CCS was a financial disaster for the Blues since local fans decided the 20 minute walk out from the central city was too hard and stopped attending - granted they (last I heard) hadn't started going to CAP either, but at least the rent outgoing are lower.

Really? Surely you're allowed to call your ground whatever you want to call it and still have the right to play there?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 6:14 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote: granted they (last I heard) hadn't started going to CAP either, but at least the rent outgoing are lower.

Attendance is up a fair amount
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

international197 wrote:
Pete C wrote:To be honest, from everything I've heard, the Cardiff/Ponty relationship is probably beyond help - too much intransigence on both sides. Also, if the Blues dropped "Cardiff" from their name apparently they'd lose the right to play at CAP. Playing at CCS was a financial disaster for the Blues since local fans decided the 20 minute walk out from the central city was too hard and stopped attending - granted they (last I heard) hadn't started going to CAP either, but at least the rent outgoing are lower.

Really? Surely you're allowed to call your ground whatever you want to call it and still have the right to play there?

The Cardiff Blues don't own the CAP
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 7:53 pm

What confusion is there? One outfit is professional, one is not. I smell a bit of a wum. I don't see what difference you think a name makes?

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:03 pm

wales606 wrote:The Cardiff Blues don't own the CAP

Who owns the CAP then?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:09 pm

Rev - i think your spot on - the Dragons issue has been done to death,does not need to be raked up again

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:38 pm

international197 wrote:
wales606 wrote:The Cardiff Blues don't own the CAP

Who owns the CAP then?

CAC
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

Also Cardiff Blues needed to be Cardiff Blues, because Auckland Blues own the name Blues, I believe.

To be honest the official names mean jack, after all we all know that The Hammers, or even Man U, are not their legal names, doesn't stop the majority of folk calling them it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:05 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote: Also Cardiff Blues needed to be Cardiff Blues, because Auckland Blues own the name Blues, I believe.

I say tough luck to the Auckland Blues. There's a Manchester in England and a Manchester in the USA; the Manchester in England hasn't stopped the Manchester in the USA from naming herself Manchester, or vice versa, so why should the Cardiff Blues feel obliged to submit to Auckland Blues' unreasonable demands? In my mind, both can be the Blues and both regions can live happily ever after.

Wales606 wrote: CAC

Who's CAC?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

cardiff athletic club

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

Still can't understand why the Cardiff Blues are not allowed to change their name to simply the Blues and are not allowed to play at Cardiff Arms Park if they do so. ShockedShockedShockedShocked

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

international197 wrote:I say tough luck to the Auckland Blues. There's a Manchester in England and a Manchester in the USA; the Manchester in England hasn't stopped the Manchester in the USA from naming herself Manchester, or vice versa, so why should the Cardiff Blues feel obliged to submit to Auckland Blues' unreasonable demands? In my mind, both can be the Blues and both regions can live happily ever after.

You can't copyright a color, the New Zealand All Blacks have tried, lol.
They probably do have Auckland Blues copyrighted, but they won't have the word "Blues".
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:56 pm

Launceston in Cornwall were stopped from calling themselves officially the Cornish All Blacks by the NZ All Blacks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/newzealand/3241228/All-Blacks-threaten-to-sue-Launceston-rugby-club-over-trademark-Rugby-Union.html

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:13 pm

I think that's ridiculous, what threat are a National League Two side in England to the New Zealand All Blacks? Even if they were a threat, it would still be ridiculous. Many football teams share City, United, FC, in fact many rugby clubs share RFC, as to why they want to take legal action that's completely stupid, if the WRU were spending their money on something like that I wouldn't be happy with them, it also says something about the law as well, would Sam Warbuton take action against Sam Davies because he has taken his name 'Sam', or vice versa? No, that's legally impossible, so why is it different for rugby teams?

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 26 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

On the legal bumph at the start of the rugby challenge game Blues is trademarked (or copyrighted not sure which) also it can be copyrighted, Blues is not a colour, the colour is Blue (and I bet the band own the rights to it as a company name). Another thing if a comoany was called Manchester, they would stop another company (especially competing in the same industry) from being called it, but place names are slighly different, like people's names. Otherwise I wouls sue my mates mam, she called her youngest after me, first name, surname for his middle name too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 27 Jun 2013, 10:34 am

international197 wrote:Still can't understand why the Cardiff Blues are not allowed to change their name to simply the Blues and are not allowed to play at Cardiff Arms Park if they do so. ShockedShockedShockedShocked
It's part of the Cardiff Athletic Club's constitution I understand, they're only allowed to let out the CAP to Cardiff teams.

And back at the start of Super Rugby in 1996 the NZRU managed to get a global trademark registered for the "Blues" as a rugby team. Similar rules have happened in the past, for example an NZ pro soccer team had to be called the "Kingz" as an American basketball team had "Kings" trademarked.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 27 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
international197 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7610188.stm

To be honest, from everything I've heard, the Cardiff/Ponty relationship is probably beyond help - too much intransigence on both sides. Also, if the Blues dropped "Cardiff" from their name apparently they'd lose the right to play at CAP. Playing at CCS was a financial disaster for the Blues since local fans decided the 20 minute walk out from the central city was too hard and stopped attending - granted they (last I heard) hadn't started going to CAP either, but at least the rent outgoing are lower.

Fair play....

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

international197 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote: Also Cardiff Blues needed to be Cardiff Blues, because Auckland Blues own the name Blues, I believe.

I say tough luck to the Auckland Blues. There's a Manchester in England and a Manchester in the USA; the Manchester in England hasn't stopped the Manchester in the USA from naming herself Manchester, or vice versa, so why should the Cardiff Blues feel obliged to submit to Auckland Blues' unreasonable demands? In my mind, both can be the Blues and both regions can live happily ever after.

Who's CAC?

This might be of interest to you 197;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/2371176/Thomas-faced-by-revolt-over-Cardiff-merger.html

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:22 am

international197 wrote:

Who's CAC?

Tonnes of metric info out there 197.
You're clearly enthusiastic so have a gander re Cardiff Blues. See what you think etc.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:33 am

I recently came across this article and realized that the Blues and the Dragons haven't officially dropped Cardiff and Newport Gwent, respectively, from their names.

First of all, I'm surprised that you've only just realised this; but if it's true, you must only ever hear them referred to as just the Blues and Dragons. Seeing as that's the case, what does it matter what their official names are?

And why exactly do you want the Dragons to drop the 'Gwent' as well as the 'Newport'?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:39 am

LP - I thought it was interesting with Tovey's comments when he signed back up, didn't he call them Gwent Dragons (no Newport)?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:44 am

And it's just fine with me, SS. Newport's part of (old) Gwent anyway so you could say it hasn't really been dropped!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:45 am

Did anybody know, that the CAC is one of the biggest sports clubs in the world ? It has over one hundred and fifty thousand members, and it incorporates the Glamorgan Cricket team and the actual athletics team and Cardiff rugby club, I do not know if it has anything to do with the Blues mind.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:Did anybody know, that the CAC is one of the biggest sports clubs in the world ? It has over one hundred and fifty thousand members, and it incorporates the Glamorgan Cricket team and the actual athletics team and Cardiff rugby club, I do not know if it has anything to do with the Blues mind.
Going by some other comments LD CAC is the biggest shareholder in the Blues
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:50 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Did anybody know, that the CAC is one of the biggest sports clubs in the world ? It has over one hundred and fifty thousand members, and it incorporates the Glamorgan Cricket team and the actual athletics team and Cardiff rugby club, I do not know if it has anything to do with the Blues mind.
Going by some other comments LD CAC is the biggest shareholder in the Blues

Well, I would not be surprised. they seem to have their fingers into every sport related to Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

The 'Blues' name is fairly bland anyway. Whats the idea of naming a team after the colours they were? Blue Bulls, Queensland Reds, Auckland Blues etc.. Could they not come up with something to do with the locality? The same goes for the Scarlets.

I like the Ospreys name.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 28 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

profitius wrote:The 'Blues' name is fairly bland anyway. Whats the idea of naming a team after the colours they were? Blue Bulls, Queensland Reds, Auckland Blues etc.. Could they not come up with something to do with the locality? The same goes for the Scarlets.

I like the Ospreys name.

+1

The rest of NZ had a wee giggle when "Blues" was the best Auckland could come up with. Not much of one mind, because they were the best non-international team in the world at the time even with the lame name.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Instead or Scarlets the only thing I can think of would be Red Kites, which isn't really anymore awe inspiring or fear striking. Also that would need a full re-brand of the badge and all, and also make my dragon tatoo obsolete, so I reckon we should stick to Scarlets.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

Yeah the "Blues" name is a bit boring. Would be much happeir if we had something interesting. I'm a big fan of the Osprey as it's interesting, it ties in with a conservation effort etc. But Cardiff dosnt really have many famous animals. Other then Billy the Seal :-x

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Gwent doesn't have many Dragons, but there you go!

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 28 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

May be the Blues should be called the Blues the "Cuckoo's" they don't have a nest of their own and they sh** on anybody to survive.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Otherwise I wouls sue my mates mam, she called her youngest after me, first name, surname for his middle name too.
You durty ba$tard Shocked  You shaGGed your mate's Ma Shocked 

Laugh

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

Griff wrote:Gwent doesn't have many Dragons, but there you go!

You not been on the pop further up the Valleys? Some scary creatures up there Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 28 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

You have the whole Welsh language to choose names from as well!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 28 Jun 2013, 8:32 pm

profitius wrote:The 'Blues' name is fairly bland anyway. Whats the idea of naming a team after the colours they were? Blue Bulls, Queensland Reds, Auckland Blues etc.. Could they not come up with something to do with the locality? The same goes for the Scarlets.

I like the Ospreys name.

Wiki is our friend;

"In 1884 Llanelli played an Irish XV who stopped off in the town having played Wales in Cardiff a couple of days previously. It was in this match that the team played in a scarlet colour shirt which has remained the club's first colour ever since, and which also led to the club's nickname "The Scarlets" and the name of the regional team (Scarlets) nearly 120 years later."

As for the "Blues" moniker. I think it was a rush job and the situation was a bit delicate back in 2003 especially with Ponty only a few miles up the road. So the blander the better was the idea I suppose.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

Just saw this pearler on the Glasgow site from as recently as April 2013:

"Glasgow Warriors v Neath Swansea Ospreys":

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/match-report/glasgow-warriors-vs-neath-swansea-ospreys-fri-19042013-1935

Not blaming Glasgow, just interesting that they haven't caught on yet. Could just be the name saved in their computer system that comes up when they type standard pages I s'pose!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 30 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

thumbsup I think the Blues is a refernce to how the fans feel each time they watch them

I guess that's why they call them The Blues

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

They could have Elton John as chairman, like Watford used to. He could sing at home games like Cliff Richard at a rainy Wimbledon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:24 pm

Griff wrote:They could have Elton John as chairman, like Watford used to. He could sing at home games like Cliff Richard at a rainy Wimbledon.

Our very own Cardiff born Charlotte could do that.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:31 pm

thumbsup Dave - I think you missed the link there

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:34 pm

RubyGuby wrote:thumbsup Dave - I think you missed the link there

As in your singing the blues type joke?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

thumbsup You got the link Dave

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

RubyGuby wrote:thumbsup You got the link Dave

Dunno. Maybe i'm the missing link.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

Your obviously not familiar with Elton's back catalogue, so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm

Griff wrote:Your obviously not familiar with Elton's back catalogue, so to speak.

Chase me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 06 Jul 2013, 12:21 am

Griff wrote:Just saw this pearler on the Glasgow site from as recently as April 2013:

"Glasgow Warriors v Neath Swansea Ospreys":

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/match-report/glasgow-warriors-vs-neath-swansea-ospreys-fri-19042013-1935

Not blaming Glasgow, just interesting that they haven't caught on yet. Could just be the name saved in their computer system that comes up when they type standard pages I s'pose!

Typical Jocks and on a similar note i've also heard the French teams refer to Cardiff Blues as "Cardeef" many times. Shocking, dreadful and appalling. Although in their defense calling them "Les Bleus" would confuse their viewers enormously. Best stick to the real names I reckon. Allez!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:36 am

I think the Dragons ought to drop the 'Newport' from their official name and become known officially as the Gwent Dragons (to avoid any possible confusion between the Dragons and Newport RFC and to emphasize that they represent a much larger area than Newport alone).

It also costs less to print Gwent Dragons on tickets, shirts, and other things, which I believe could help the region in a financial sense, albeit very, very marginally I would suspect.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next