The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll

+41
Taffineastbourne
funnyExiledScot
flyhalffactory
lostinwales
profitius
nobbled
Luckless Pedestrian
banshee007
littlejohn
Rob B
maestegmafia
Taylorman
BKK_Mike
Icu
valtrepkos
LondonTiger
hugehandoff
Rugby Fan
glamorganalun
Cyril
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
kiakahaaotearoa
ChequeredJersey
Tattie Scones RRN
Axeman
offload
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
jelly
pbuk0
Pal Joey
Ozzy3213
GunsGerms
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
SecretFly
Duty281
RubyGuby
t1000advancedprototype
45 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Third Test winners?

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap15%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap25%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 13 ]
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap21%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 11 ]
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap21%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 11 ]
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap8%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_lcap10%Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 53

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Empty Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:27 pm

Third test winners and score prediction?

20:00 AEST, 11:00 BST
Saturday, 6th July, 2013
ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Referee: Romain Poite

The weather is expected to be clear and sunny with temperatures ranging from 5-16° C at Homebush Bay.

So it will all come down to the final match with the series level at 1-a-piece.
Both sides are battered and bruised, many top players are missing... there's even a touch of controversy.
The final team announcements will be made later in the week... probably around Thursday morning AEST.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Empty Re: Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll

Post by RubyGuby Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

Australia 23 Wallabies 24

Now go read my last limerick t1000 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll Empty Re: Wallabies v British & Irish Lions: 3rd Test - pre match discussion and Poll

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:35 pm

If the Lions play like they did in the 1st Test, they will win.
If the Lions play like they did in the 2nd Test, they will lose.

Sadly, I think we'll play like we did in the 2nd test, and will fall to a heroic defeat.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:36 pm

Or..

If Australia turn up then they win either way.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:48 pm

If Australia have Horwill, they'll win
If the Wallabies don't have Horwill they'll win by more as they'll be white hot with fury.

Please don't ban him IRB...until after the game. Then put him in Papillon's cell for the rest of his life......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 30 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm

Duty281 wrote:If the Lions play like they did in the 1st Test, they will win.
If the Lions play like they did in the 2nd Test, they will lose.

Sadly, I think we'll play like we did in the 2nd test, and will fall to a heroic defeat.
If the Lions play as they did in the 1st test, they lose.
If the Lions play as they did in the 2nd test, they lose.
If the Lions play Rugby, they win.
The game plan in the first two tests is almost an insult to the talent put out there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:08 pm

I'm torn between Australia and the Wobblies - could go either way, I reckon

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:14 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I'm torn between Australia and the Wobblies - could go either way, I reckon

Depends if Grant plays

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I'm torn between Australia and the Wobblies - could go either way, I reckon

Depends if Grant plays
Laugh

How much chance of that, Thunor?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

If Gatland is in charge then the Aussies will win, he choked on Saturday as changes needed to be made and for some reason he didn't make them.

The Lions looked scared and I can't see them clicking before the next test.

Aus 2-1 series winners. (Again!)
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:53 am

Expect a free for all in the scrums with Poite there. I think we need Grant and Jones to start and push for some dominance here.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

Lions will win. Bowe, North or BOD with the clincher.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

There will be plenty of discussion about who should and shouldn't be selected for the Lions, but my view is as follows.

Irrespective of who plays in the 3rd test, the only way we will win is if our mindset is different.

We went out on Saturday not to lose. To ensure that Australia scored fewer than we did. This week we have to go out with the intention to score more than they do. I know those two things essentially amount to the same at the very end, but they are very different mindests to go out with. If we just try to contain them again, we will lose again. For whatever deficiencies this Aus side has, if you give them 65% of the possession, they will beat you. Probably the only side that would beat them off 35% possession id the AB's.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

t1000,

Can we merge your thread with mine? (I've just put up the 3rd test pre-match discussion thread)

I can also add a "Lions by 1-7, 7-15, 15+, draw, etc... if you want. Let us know, champ. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:58 am

Hate to say it... but I think Australia will win by 6..
I hope I am wrong..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:58 am

GunsGerms wrote:Expect a free for all in the scrums with Poite there. I think we need Grant and Jones to start and push for some dominance here.

Can't agree with any part of that. Poite will referee the scrum better than either of the previous two referees, and if Corbs is fit he should and most likely will be selected at loosehead.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

I'm feeling strangely optimisitic. The Lions haven't performed in either test but I have a feeling they may produce something on Saturday. The team will show plenty of changes from the first test but hopefully the chosen 23 will be massively up for it and put in the performance of their lives. Think the likes of O'Brien, Falatau, Phillips and Roberts could all be massively fired up this game and will hopefully respond positively as a result.

Australia 18 Lions 26

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 01 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

GunsGerms wrote:Expect a free for all in the scrums with Poite there. I think we need Grant and Jones to start and push for some dominance here.

Poite's MO is generally to decide in the opening minutes who has the stronger scrum, then penalise the other team for the rest of the match (granted he does usually re-evaluate who's stronder after substitutions). So definitely start with Jones and either Corbs/Grant.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

I don't think we will win by just being a little better. I would gamble and thow the kitchen sink. Gatland won't of course.

My team:
Corbisiero, Youngs, Jones, AWJ, Gray, Lydiate, SOB, Faletau, Phillips, Sexton, North, Roberts, Tuilagi, Cuthbert, Halfpenny.

Vunipola, Hibbard, Cole, Evans, Tipuric, Youngs, Farrell, Hogg
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

Corbs has to start over Grant if fit.

I'm surprised Sexton isn't getting more stick as he looked out of sorts on Saturday.

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

I'm waiting for the team announcements before making a call. If Horwill's out I'll start leaning Lions way, depending on which Lions back row is named.

To date neither side has played as well as they're capable of, so it's tough to gauge.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

Yeah jelly, it's by no means a fait accompli. I could easily see the Lions racing out to an early lead and the Wallabies on the back foot and under pressure. There's barely anything between the two sides really... it could have been 2-0 or 0-2 already.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Axeman Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:08 pm

Following last Saturday's frustration I'd like to see the Lions being more ruthless and efficient.

Things that stood out to me were

1. In the first 15mins we had the Australians in all sorts of trouble with our driving maul... and then we stopped doing it.

2. We became content to just surrnder the ball and defend defend defend

3. We allowed the game to be played nearer and nearer our tryline

So... this week I want to see

1. Players recognising where we are putting the Australians under pressure and capitalising on it.

2. If something isn't working stop doing it (e.g. aimless box kicks)

3. When we have the ball protect it and only give it away for very good reasons (i.e. kicking it into the corners to get the game played in the Australian third of the pitch)

4. A lineout that is secure and provides a reliable attacking platform rather than a lottery.

I still think that we have the players to win but I worry about the teams ability to play what's in front of them and to find a way to win. If we are as passive as the second half last week we will get spanked.

Axeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:10 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:

Depends if Grant plays

Laugh clap 

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:18 pm

'1. In the first 15mins we had the Australians in all sorts of trouble with our driving maul... and then we stopped doing it.'

Why did we stop doing that?
As the Ref was on our side and was running out of patience with Aus.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:19 pm

Poll up.

Sorry t1000... I missed the wum! Laugh 
'Australia' or 'Wallabies'. Buy that man an island!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm

No possibility of a draw is there? Extra time would be played, no?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

I think the Lions will just win, but if Deans releases a team that uses his backline talent better I might revise that prediction
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

The Dullabies and the Sleeping Pride or the dynamic Wallabies and the Lions on the hunt. I hope the latter is what we get but to me much depends on team selection and leadership. The pack has plenty of experience for both sides but the absence of POC, Warburton or Horwill may result in organizational leadership which could prove decisive in the battle up front. I will await selection before making a prediction like my sage Kiwi mate Pete.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:31 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I think the Lions will just win, but if Deans releases a team that uses his backline talent better I might revise that prediction

I made it possible to change your selections (vote cancelling)... but no multiple votes.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

VictorU3 wrote:Corbs has to start over Grant if fit.

I'm surprised Sexton isn't getting more stick as he looked out of sorts on Saturday.

He wasnt at his best but even at that was one of our better players.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm

I'll vote once Gatland names his team!

It is going to come down to the personel!!! I know that sounds silly but it shows that Gatland has the guys there to win the series, its going to come down to if he picks the right man for the right job!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:

Can't agree with any part of that.  Poite will referee the scrum better than either of the previous two referees, and if Corbs is fit he should and most likely will be selected at loosehead.

Have you seen Poite ref before? He is a notioriously poor referee of the scrums.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:01 pm

Horwill's hearing is taking ages. 10pm here... it started at 8:30.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

I would be surprised if there is a ban. He will get off. I think the IRB are just using this to try to encourage a clean series.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

Like the way the RugbyHQ have started a spoof justice for Horwill campaign. I presume this is a pi$$ take on the famous justice for bakkies campaign from the last tour?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:08 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:

Can't agree with any part of that.  Poite will referee the scrum better than either of the previous two referees, and if Corbs is fit he should and most likely will be selected at loosehead.

Have you seen Poite ref before? He is a notioriously poor referee of the scrums.

One thing I have noticed with him is if sids try and go for pushover following a penalty he willl look for anything to penalise the attacking side. Best kick for corners or posts in that situation. Thank god Robshaw isn't captain

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:09 pm

Who is going to be Captain?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:10 pm

Got to do more than try and bash down the door. Guile and Flair is how to unpick the Ozzies. Just look at France's demolition of them in the Autumn.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:10 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Who is going to be Captain?

Mako? After all he can last the full 80

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:14 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Who is going to be Captain?

Mako? After all he can last the full 80
Maybe move him to tighthead as the scrum seemed to improve when Jones went off?

Wink 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

Here's a laugh.
Lion's assistant coach Andy Farrell says "the Wallabies have peaked too soon" and that they are "emotionally drained"

Jezzus... talk about low expectations. If anything there was a dip in their performance on Saturday and they will be desperate to make amends... similar to what Qld always do to NSW in that other code.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Here's a laugh.
Lion's assistant coach Andy Farrell says "the Wallabies have peaked too soon"

Jezzus... talk about low expectations. If anything there was a dip in their performance on Saturday and they will be desperate to make amends... similar to what Qld always do in that other code.

What garbage.

We got mauled on Saturday and the Saturday before that had Beale not slipped on his erse we would have lost there too. picard

We dinnae do oursel's any favours sometimes.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

Jezzus... talk about low expectations. If anything there was a dip in their performance on Saturday and they will be desperate to make amends... similar to what Qld always do to NSW in that other code.

If that was this Aussie side's peak performance, I am a wombat
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

Its a stupid comment because if they hadnt peaked the series would be over. We can agree on that. Thing is though I dont think the Lions have peaked at all yet.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:20 pm

Neither side has peaked, the matches have been thrilling but low quality
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

True GG. Both have the potential to play so much better. The matches have been nail-biting but also so frustrating to watch and riddled with errors.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

Well, peaking too soon is one thing the Lions are never going to be acused of.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

Lion's assistant coach Andy Farrell says "the Wallabies have peaked too soon" and that they are "emotionally drained"

Well, these Aussies don't like it up 'um. One warm up game (first test), then peaked (second test), down hill from here.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Got to do more than try and bash down the door. Guile and Flair is how to unpick the Ozzies. Just look at France's demolition of them in the Autumn.

Any specifics of players with such guile and flair? If you put a player like Hogg in at fullback where does that leave Halfpenny? If you put in Twelveleaves or Tleaves do you take out BOD as well to include Tuilagi and is that cancelling out guile and flair for what you had in the first place?

Gatland could put in Tipuric for example but who partners him in the backrow?

I just don't see a shift from Gatlandball to running rugby, nor think that would be in the Lions' interests. I do think there can be subtle changes to the squad and tactics but guile and flair for me sum up hardly any of the squad possibilities for me. There aren't enough of those types of players to play that way. Honing what they've done - using the rolling maul more for a start which has been effective when used and inexplicably underutilised - and cutting down errors seems a much more manageable task for me.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next