The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final

+15
ONETWOFOREVER
whocares
mthierry
invisiblecoolers
laverfan
ALPanorak
Henman Bill
Chydremion
subhranshu.kumar.5
yloponom68
Danny_1982
bogbrush
time please
CaledonianCraig
barrystar
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final Empty Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final

Post by barrystar Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 10:45

Even though the women's competition has been very entertaining this year, yesterday the men reminded us why they are favoured by so many on this board.

Even so - a potentially interesting Final awaits between two players whose personal and playing styles are contrasting.

Bartoli (15) is for the 7th match in a row facing someone seeded lower than her in Lisicki (23).

Seedings apart, the other indicators are that Lisicki is not merely the new CC darling and object of heavy breathing in teenagers' rooms and mid-life crisis stricken boardrooms the length and breadth of the country (and in Canada Very Happy ), but also the genuine favourite to win:

* H2H is 3:1 to Lisicki, including an encounter at Wimbledon in 2011, her only defeat was at Wimbledon in 2008 when she was a mere teenager and Bartoli was the previous year's finalist;

* Her form this tournament in beating 3 former slam winners including Serena, as well as Radwanska (4) is formidable.  She is able to call upon the confidence she must gain from coming back from the near dead against both of those two by showing an astonishing ability to lurch from rubbish play to unbeatable in seconds when needed.

If, as I expect, Lisicki can keep her concentration up for long enough (i.e. sufficient to win two sets) she will merit her tag as the favourite - but nobody should underestimate Bartoli's ability to pounce on any lapse quickly and efficiently and I don't expect it to be done in two sets, that's not seemingly Lisicki's way. If Lisicki surprises me and freezes for too long she will be bundled out unceremoniously and quickly.

There is every prospect of a good final - I'd be pleased for either of them, but ultimately I'd like to see the nerveless conqueror of Serena Williams get her reward.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final Empty Re: Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 10:49

I have to go for Sabine Lisicki to win this. Anyone who beats Serena deserves all that they get. I feel other factors are in her favour as well. Anyway hopefully it will be a classic but sadly I will be working so will miss this.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 13:26; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final Empty Re: Lisicki vs. Bartoli - Women's Final

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 10:58

For the first time in eons I am so looking forward to this final - which probably almost guarantees it will be disappointing!

Lisicki's route to the final has been impressive conquering 3 slam winners en route, including the awesome Serena, and defeating the clever tactician that is Radwanksa in the semis. Nick Bollettieri says of her that she has 'a big match mentality that you can't always teach'.

While I would like to see Lisicki take this, I really wouldn't mind seeing Bartoli lift the trophy either - she is completely unorthodox but a huge court character.

I'm hoping it is going to be a match full of heart and fun whatever the result!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 11:18

Me too. For the first time I can remember I'm planning around watching a women's match.

I favour Lisicki, more so now that a few days ago.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 11:45

I want Lisicki to win, I think Lisicki will win and for the game I desperately hope Lisicki wins. She's been marvellous all tournament and her smile has lit up centre court.

.... So put your money on Bartoli.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 12:19

If Lisicki can come out, stay focused and play good "first strike" tennis, then I think she will win this in two sets. If she is not able to "bear down," play her strengths and get that first strike in a rally - then Bartoli is the worst opponent to face.

Bartoli won't be giving away a slew of points, Lisicki will have to earn them. Bartoli's double fisted ground strokes, are hit hard and true. Lisicki will be having to do a lot of running and retrieving, and if she offers up a short ball, a high ball, Bartoli is going to hammer it, corner to corner.

Will be good for the game to have a new Major champion for sure, Lisicki is the "emotional" pick I think for most people; am just hoping for a well played, engaging match where the Champion WINS the match, not gaining the title because of the other's failure to rise to the occasion. BOTH women will know that this is an incredible opportunity to win a Major without playing a Top 10 seed or player.

Good luck Ladies! A life-changing match for both players to seize! Carpe Diem!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 12:27

I too want Lisicki to win. As Caledonian said any one who beats Serena really deserves the title at the present secnario. Guys what is the official time of match start?
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 12:57

Oh please let Lisicki win. WTA dies if Bartoli....no the thought of that overweight winning the holy grail is too hard to bear.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 14:46

What a shame that Lisicki is so paralysed with nerves, but well done to Bartoli for a courageous first set.

Hopefully how Lisicki has come out in the second augurs a more competitive match from here on in.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 14:57

Great article. Rather accurate and prescient looking analysis there.

Shame the first set was a disappointment, with both players throwing away their first service game with double faults, and then Lisicki nervous the whole first set.

I have to agree with favouring Lisicki because she has had much the tougher and more impressive run to the final.

What a huge match for both of them, though. Neither a top 10 player, neither ever been in the top 5 even for a week, and neither of them ever won a Premier title, let alone a slam. For Bartoli, at 28 years old, it seems likely to be her only shot. For Lisicki, she will likely have more chances at Wimbledon to at least have more runs to QF and SF, but who knows, it might even be her only slam title as well if she wins. All of which does explain the nerves.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:00

I agree with the comments in that I rarely watch a women's final but am today. I do like the players, but the main reason is that there are no shriekers in the final which is unusual.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:00

Bartoli playing well here, if she gets as far as serving for the match will be interesting to see.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:02

Lovely to have no shriekers. Bartoli is just really seizing the moment - feel very sorry for Lisicki that she can't conquer her nerves.

Well done Marion so far though clap 

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:03

Why are there so few women who can deal with the occasion of a grand slam final?

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:04

Interesting fact: Lisicki has reached QF or better 4 times at Wimbledon, but never reached a QF at any other slam.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:10

Lisicki's face shows what she's feeling inside. Thing is, if she wins this game it could change. I think it's an important game

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:11

Sabine close to tears.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:12

This is just poor...so disappointing. Lisicki needs to get her act together

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:12

she has to get her emotions under control somehow, either push them away, or channel them

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:13

maybe Jana Novotna should present the runner's up plate today Smile

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:14

Flipkens could have beaten Lisicki in this final...damn you Bartoli Smile

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:15

Can't say I'm surprised. Lisicki is a well known choker.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:16

The thing is, the ticket for yesterday and today are about the same price. OK, they probably get a doubles final in a while, but truth be told those prices don't make a lot of sense, not with the women playing best of 3 sets.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:16

And who the hell starts getting tears during a match? Isn't that for after the match?

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:17

Henman Bill wrote:maybe Jana Novotna should present the runner's up plate today Smile

Was that Novotna in the crowd a couple of minutes ago, with sunglasses on? They should send her down !

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:22

Well done Lisicki for holding on to serve at least.

Is there an argument for making the ladies final b05 which would allow nerves to settle? So often, unless 2 heavyweights face off, the ladies final is very one sided because the occasion gets to someone?

After all Rafa's first final against Roger was lost 6-1, I think to Fed, but he settled to make a match of it.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:26

Much easier to fight back from 5-1 to 5-3 than from 5-3 to 5-5

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:27

at 5-1 you've nothing to lose

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:27

Lisicki deciding to go down fighting - now hang onto your serve Sabine!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:32

You can't serve for the match any better than that (unless you're Rosol)

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:34

Bartoli clap clap well played.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:34

Everyone could have beaten Lisicki today.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by ALPanorak Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:34

Unfortunately I cannot feel pity for Lisicki following this result - this was a terribly weak display of tennis on the highest stage notwithstanding her mini resurgence. Bartoli merely remained solid but its not like she had to play at a particularly high level. Bartoli gifted so many free points with double faults and produced weak serves yet somehow Lisicki managed to be that bad that she could not take advantage. Women's tennis is insufferable (for me...I'm out)

ALPanorak

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:35

Poor Lisicki - so crippled with nerves, such a painful way to close out such a brilliant tournament for her.  Feel so sad for her - she must just want to disappear.  

But well done Bartoli clap She is such a fantastic character from the laid back off court woman to the complete eccentric on court.  A lot of heart!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:36

Lisicki the party pooper: Beats the big favourite than puts a stinker in the final.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:47

Have a heart chydremion - she was so nervous she couldn't even get the ball toss right.

Call me an emotional wreck, but both girls have made me cry - Sabine, who looks like my daughter, because she is so sweet in defeat and both of them because they are both great fighter and it is such a shame that Lisicki went down as she did. Bartoli is as gracious a winner as Lisicki is a gracious loser - hope we see Lisicki get another chance.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:50

I always thought of Bartoli as a trol but that interview was the first time I heard her speak and she seems like a nice girl actually.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 15:51

Lovely exit from both with arms around each other. Well done to Bartoli for reaching out, and to Lisicki for responding with a smile and grace when her heart must be pretty sore atm.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 16:01

I wanted Bartoli to win coz she exhibits more sportsmanship than Lisicki , I like Lisicki but somehow feel her celebrations and emotions are over the moon at times, she will understand how much it would hurt when coming this close and losing and her opponent celebrating wildly, she needs to learn a lesson.

As expected Bartoli won and in commanding fashion.

Well done Bartoli.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 16:13

Poor for Lisicki but she'll probably be cheered by that £800,000 prize money. I know 1% of that would cheer me up!

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 16:46

Interesting fact about Bartoli: her new coach / sparring partner is Thomas Drouet since may, you know the guy that got beat up by Tomic's dad Wink He deserves some credit as Marion has gained in composure in such a short time.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 17:41

That was rather sad. I hope she can come back again and do herself justice, she's very young so won't need to beat Serena for too much longer and she has the game to knock these baseliners off the court.

Still, Sabine will need some comforting at the moment, so it's a silver lining for somebody. devil
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 18:05

I can't add anything to that. Having trouble concentrating now.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 18:35

Chydremion wrote:Lisicki the party pooper: Beats the big favourite than puts a stinker in the final.

... in the illustrious footsteps of Darcis, Stakhovsky, Rosol, Doohan, Volkov,... Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 20:10

The mods on this section are a complete joke.

Why delete my harmless posts?????????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 20:19

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The mods on this section are a complete joke.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 20:25

Never really got that phrase, I get the meaning, but is there a large population group beef-intolerant or something? It just does me in. But English isnt my first language, so.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 20:27

kingraf - it means, in this case, that a post that one person sees as harmless, someone else may see as offensive.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 21:23

laverfan wrote:
Chydremion wrote:Lisicki the party pooper: Beats the big favourite than puts a stinker in the final.

... in the illustrious footsteps of Darcis, Stakhovsky, Rosol, Doohan, Volkov,... Laugh

At least they didn't make the final! Everyone wants to watch a glorious final. In contrast when Stak of Rosol stink in their third round match, you just go watch another third round.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 21:24

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The mods on this section are a complete joke.

Tell me about it. I got banned a few days ago for using a word that has been in every tennis dictionary for several years now Smile

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next