The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good start for Henson, punched already!

+39
Cyril
Adam D
hjumpshoe
Irish Londoner
George Carlin
mckay1402
irfon17
Breadvan
ChequeredJersey
Hood83
Casartelli
Rory_Gallagher
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
Artful_Dodger
Gibson
Bathman_in_London
flyhalffactory
Cardiff Dave
t1000advancedprototype
gregortree
Taffineastbourne
beshocked
munkian
HammerofThunor
yappysnap
MrsP
formerly known as Sam
pioden gorllewin
Imperialbigdave
twoeightnine
Jhamer25
Notch
HongKongCherry
lostinwales
Geordie
SecretFly
GLove39
ScarletSpiderman
Effervescing Elephant
43 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Good start for Henson, punched already! - Page 2 Empty Good start for Henson, punched already!

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

ESPN story here.

Not going to draw any conclusions before the full story comes out. Doesn't look good for Bath whatever happened.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Good start for Henson, punched already! - Page 2 Empty Re: Good start for Henson, punched already!

Post by gregortree Fri 12 Jul 2013, 4:45 pm

Have the Bill arrested Shontayne Hape yet ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Good start for Henson, punched already! - Page 2 Empty Re: Good start for Henson, punched already!

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 12 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm

For crimes against rugby?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 12 Jul 2013, 5:38 pm

beshocked wrote:
munkian wrote:They don't get on these Aviva clubmates do they ? #Farrell

That was during a match plus Farrell can take a punch. So can Ashton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAJvoQiaUHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAX40d3oXo

Henson in comparison fell down like a sack of spuds.

In fairness though, Farrell & Ashton were hopefully sober when they got hit.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri 12 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Fearns

Haha read the bottom bit.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

Sit down son.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:04 pm

Its like that song was just penned with the orange one in mind

"NEVER ENDING STORY"
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

Carl Fearns is more out of line than Henson imo.

Henson- possibly acting like a fool on the drink??
Fearns- actually hitting a teammate

Both will get a bollicking and then move on, but if Gavin Henson hasn't worked out he can't be a professional player and get involved with drink by now will he ever? Maybe he seriously has a problem. It seems like he gets himself into trouble on a very consistent basis when he has a drink. I don't understand why he doesn't dry out for good and maybe he does need help with that.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:28 pm

Pretty decent jab from fearns!

On a serious note, I'm surprised Henson was out drinking given how he clearly can't handle it and it always gets him into trouble.

Not sure a punch in itself is a big deal, these things used to happen all the time, they just weren't reported and tweeted around the world within minutes!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:28 pm

He's not as smart as a sack of spuds. In all fairness.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:38 pm

Wonder punch from Fearns. Snap shots like that aren't easy to deliver, you need very good hand speed and Fearns has delivered one that sent Henson down like a tree.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:39 pm

Never really liked Henson and his spice boy antics so no sympathy. The footage on the mail website has a horrendous cracking sound like a balloon bursting as Fearns thumps, him followed by cheers.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:40 pm

Notch wrote:Carl Fearns is more out of line than Henson imo.

Both will get a bollicking and then move on, but if Gavin Henson hasn't worked out he can't be a professional player and get involved with drink by now will he ever? Maybe he seriously has a problem. It seems like he gets himself into trouble on a very consistent basis when he has a drink. I don't understand why he doesn't dry out for good and maybe he does need help with that.

I agree, a lot of people saying Henson could be in trouble cause of his reputation and because he's only just joined the club. But Fearns had laid out a team mate, I'd be more concerned if I was him to be honest. I also agree that Henson might have a bit of a problem with the drink.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:47 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
Notch wrote:Carl Fearns is more out of line than Henson imo.

I agree, a lot of people saying Henson could be in trouble cause of his reputation and because he's only just joined the club.  But Fearns had laid out a team mate,  I'd be more concerned if I was him to be honest.  I also agree that Henson might have a bit of a problem with the drink.

Ja. He keeps falling over.

But maybe, just maybe, Our Gav was in the throes of  trying to stop  a fight for once and paid for it. The Sheep who cried Wolf, sotospeak.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

Fearns threw the first (and only) punch, and it didnt look like it was in much self defence, he could be in serious Poopie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 12 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

Gibson wrote:He's not as smart as a sack of spuds. In all fairness.

I remember Gav being interviewed after a Swansea RFC game, pre pseudo-regionalism. 2002 most prob. He had "problems" back then I believe and rugby saved him.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:02 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

I remember Gav being interviewed after a Swansea RFC game, pre pseudo-regionalism. 2002 most prob. He had "problems" back then I believe and rugby saved him.

You know Dave, I think the man does have mental problems. And on reflection, I wish I hadn't said that now. Its so easy to put people down and destroy them, when you don't know them, or their circumstances.  The X-Factor Culture. Which I detest.

He needs help. Not slagging-off. Its sad.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:05 pm

I think the pair of them could be in bother. Fearns doesn't look that sober and drops Henson with little warning. Henson drunk and acting like a fool again. Fine the pair of them and tell Henson he's now tee total.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:06 pm

Gibson wrote:He needs help. Not slagging-off. Its sad.

Thats the way I'm coming to view it. Not saying he isn't responsible for his behavior. But I do believe he needs some support to change his ways.

IF he does have a problem with drink, and thats a big assumption to be fair, but IF he does he will surely alienate and disappoint people around him. But he'll hurt himself most of all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

As an aside Alcoholism and any kind of addiction suffers from the same stigma all mental illness does- people blame the addict for their destructive behavior. But it's an awful thing. It'll turn you into the kind of person who drives away everyone, leaving you alone.

Now you can't know what's going on in someones head and thats why I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions about Henson like. Gotta be careful with the armchair psychiatrist act. But whether or not there are some underlying issues for him or not I hope there are people close to him who will encourage him to go teetotal because the number of times Henson has gotten into situations like this is unbelievable at this point.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

Gibson wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

You know Dave, I think the man does have mental problems. And on reflection, I wish I hadn't said that now. Its so easy to put people down and destroy them, when you don't know them,  or their circumstances.  The X-Factor Culture. Which I detest.

He needs help. Not slagging-off. Its sad.

Top post Gibson - OK 

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:35 pm

Notch wrote:As an aside Alcoholism and any kind of addiction suffers from the same stigma all mental illness does- people blame the addict for their destructive behavior. But it's an awful thing. It'll turn you into the kind of person who drives away everyone, leaving you alone.

Now you can't know what's going on in someones head and thats why I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions about Henson like. Gotta be careful with the armchair psychiatrist act. But whether or not there are some underlying issues for him or not I hope there are people close to him who will encourage him to go teetotal because the number of times Henson has gotten into situations like this is unbelievable at this point.

So eloquently put. That deserves an article of its own. Sporting and media pressure, feeding the Wolves, at the expense of someone's personal life.

Most on here will say he is asking for it. But is he? Does he even know? And how does anyone know,  until they are in the mire and its too late?

He really reminds me of a poor man's Georgie Best. Less talent and intelligence, with respect. But it is the same deal. Different time.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:40 pm

None of this has anything to do with 'alcoholism'. Henson probably drinks far less frequently, in much smaller volumes, than most single 30-something blokes.

His problem is that he is an idiot. This is compounded by him being an irritating idiot, so that when inhibitions are freed, admittedly by alcohol, in the arena of a lads' night out, other idiots cannot control the urge to punch him in the face.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:46 pm

Casartelli wrote:None of this has anything to do with 'alcoholism'.  Henson probably drinks far less frequently, in much smaller volumes, than most single 30-something blokes.

Alcoholism, no alcoholism, I honestly don't know and am not qualified to make a judgement even where I in possession of all the facts which I'm not.

What is clear is he's got a self-destruct streak a mile wide and should seriously consider seeking some help before he blows his entire career away, again.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:50 pm

Casartelli wrote:None of this has anything to do with 'alcoholism'.  Henson probably drinks far less frequently, in much smaller volumes, than most single 30-something blokes.

His problem is that he is an idiot.  This is compounded by him being an irritating idiot, so that when inhibitions are freed, admittedly by alcohol, in the arena of a lads' night out, other idiots cannot control the urge to punch him in the face.

Also true. He's none too bright, this we all know. But. Hope you never have to deal with it personally. In your own life or in your family. This alters all judgmental perspective one finds.  

Id say  over 50% of the posters on this site are far more moronic than Gav. Big differ being, they have no talent and can hide behind a keyboard and laugh at the plight of others who have.

It makes them feel better about their own failings.

The Human Condition is not a good one. But its all we have. Lets not turn on each other. Its not cool I know, but it would help if we actually think before we speak sometimes.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:00 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : I am a Bi-Polar space-aged cowboy, with a drink, drugs and over-sexed problem. Real problem being, I cant get enough of the fucking stuff.)
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:52 pm

Notch an Gibson, you've both really made me reassess my view on this incident and on Henson in general OK 

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:36 pm

Think I'm with the majority here. Actually just a bit sad to see Henson in trouble again. Bit of a plonker but I don't think he's a bad sort from interviews. Hope it blows over and he does well at Bath, although i'd still like Eastmond at 12.

Fearns always seems a bit of a thug in my mind. Nothing dirty but I'd have no surprise if he had a temper! Horrible to see someone knocked down like that but a helluva punch - all his arm and no weight through it. Impressive...in an awful sort of way.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:51 pm

I have no idea what is happening with Henson but there certainly are people who have no mental health problems, no alcohol or other addictions and yet behave like total eejits once they have had a few. Usually these are guys who actually don't drink large amounts or frequently.

No idea which category Henson falls into although I suspect (and hope) it is the later.

I would have thought that, had he been in the former category, he would have been only given a new contract if he sought help.

You don't have to be an alcoholic to behave like an eejit after a few.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 8:53 pm

MrsP wrote:You don't have to be an alcoholic to behave like an eejit after a few.

She's not wrong there!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:17 pm

guinness 

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Jul 2013, 9:58 pm

Must be difficult if you know you're no good with the drink but are trying to fit in at a new team and the team bonding involves drinking. Not saying he was forced into it, but I know that it's not always easy to say no when in a new environment and trying to fit in.

But I'm basing that on guesswork about the situation - he could have been downing the pints while everyone else had 1 or 2 for all I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm

Who hit who?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm

Griff, I'll share something of myself here.

In my own experience, drink was a bit of a problem for me when I was a bit younger. Like a teenager I mean, mainly when I first went to Uni (its like that in first year, load of 18 year olds let lose etc.). Nothing major was wrong- but I would peed and act like a complete a'hole, and get into fights and fallout with my friends and it made me very unhappy. So I started drinking more and got caught up in a vicious cycle. Alcohol brought out my most damaged self.

Anyway, I basically stopped drinking altogether. Could not be happier about that situation. Much better social life almost immediately, much more fun had, much healthier place in general.

But it's a constant thing. There's always one person who insists you have a drink. Always someone who wants to try and string you along with them. Ultimately thats just peer pressure and it doesn't bother me at all. I mainly shrug it off and if someone forces the point I tell them off. But some people really don't like it. Now thats just in normal life- rugby clubs in general have a MUCH more robust drinking culture than 'civilians' if you like. It's been a fairly traditional part of rugby team bonding since time immemorial

So I have some sympathy with that. But the guy holding the bottle at the end of the day is Henson- so he has to assess his own behaviour and own emotional health and make the call. If he can't do it himself, he needs help. If he can do it himself, he needs to have a serious think about getting involved in this kind of nonsense. If he can stop whenever he wants but is choosing to hit self-destruct again and again he bloody needs to cop on. But that's been said for a long time eh?

I don't know which it is. How could I? Never met the man.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

Indeed Notch.

But you copped on when you were 18. Henson is a 31 year old father of 2.

He really should be beyond the "drinking cos it's cool" stage.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:54 pm

There are a couple of lads at my club. Poor attitudes, think a lot of themselves, annoying when sober and horrendous when pi$$ed. The drink isnt the cause of their problems, in fact I dont think they feel they have a problem at all. The drink only amplifies their already flawed personalities.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 10:59 pm

Notch wrote:Griff, I'll share something of myself here.

In my own experience, drink was a bit of a problem for me when I was a bit younger. Like a teenager I mean, mainly when I first went to Uni (its like that in first year, load of 18 year olds let lose etc.). Nothing major was wrong- but I would peed and act like a complete a'hole, and get into fights and fallout with my friends and it made me very unhappy. So I started drinking more and got caught up in a vicious cycle. Alcohol brought out my most damaged self.

Anyway, I basically stopped drinking altogether. Could not be happier about that situation. Much better social life almost immediately, much more fun had, much healthier place in general.

But it's a constant thing. There's always one person who insists you have a drink. Always someone who wants to try and string you along with them. Ultimately thats just peer pressure and it doesn't bother me at all. I mainly shrug it off and if someone forces the point I tell them off. But some people really don't like it. Now thats just in normal life- rugby clubs in general have a MUCH more robust drinking culture than 'civilians' if you like. It's been a fairly traditional part of rugby team bonding since time immemorial

So I have some sympathy with that. But the guy holding the bottle at the end of the day is Henson- so he has to assess his own behaviour and own emotional health and make the call. If he can't do it himself, he needs help. If he can do it himself, he needs to have a serious think about getting involved in this kind of nonsense. If he can stop whenever he wants but is choosing to hit self-destruct again and again he bloody needs to cop on. But that's been said for a long time eh?

guinness 

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:02 pm

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:There are a couple of lads at my club. Poor attitudes, think a lot of themselves, annoying when sober and horrendous when pi$$ed. The drink isnt the cause of their problems, in fact I dont think they feel they have a problem at all. The drink only amplifies their already flawed personalities.

Also possibly true. But far too simplistic Motel. Come again. guinness 
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:13 pm

Notch wrote:Griff, I'll share something of myself here.

Well done for speaking about these things Notch. I've struggled with a cannabis addiction since I was 17 up until 18 months ago and now I don't touch the stuff at all. I've had problems with alcohol as well, although I was never really an alcoholic which is why I can still have a drink once or twice a week without it affecting my behaviour, I was a heavy drinker rather than an alcoholic. Either way I've had many troubles with drink and drug abuse which often brought out the worst in me and I absolutely appreciate the problems people can have with the above.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:22 pm

I dont know Gav, and to be honest dont want to. But from what Ive read on here over the years he sounds like a lad, sorry a man, with just a very poor attitude not a drink problem. Walking out on the Ospreys and then ditching Sarries to go to Toulon. Theres something rotten in Denmark, and its nowt to do with the drink.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:33 pm

One of the most honest threads ever. Loving this.

Im in love with Gav. There I've said it.

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 4:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

And thats why we love Gibbo Laugh 

Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm

MotelMoneyMurderMadness wrote:Never really liked Henson and his spice boy antics so no sympathy. The footage on the mail website has a horrendous cracking sound like a balloon bursting as Fearns thumps, him followed by cheers.

See? This is what happens people in the YUK. Shared glee on others misfortune. I just... I don't understand it anymore.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 12 Jul 2013, 11:57 pm

If he has a drink problem he should talk to Care.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:00 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:If he has a drink problem he should talk to Care.

Care in The Community CJ?

Ok. Ok.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

Gibson wrote:

Oodles of  Speed, Sex,Coke, more sex, Acid, booze and grass, needles, guns and ass... lots of laffs (c) Joni Mitchell.  Had a phooking blast mind.

Haha sounds like my teenage years Gibbo, without quite as much sex Wink 

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 13 Jul 2013, 7:22 am

Gavs probably a likeable guy, off the pop. He has two pints and starts acting the maggot. We all must know someone like that...Smile 
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Jul 2013, 8:04 am

We all know that everybody is an idiot on the booze after a certain amount. As you grow up so recognise what your limit is and learn not to go beyond that point. Something I've been fastidious about since I met my wife a few years ago. Teenagers don't know their limits and some seem to take longer to learn their lessons particular if a rugby club is involved as it is easy to get caught up in the drinking culture.

We all know how we act after too many, I'm the placid over energetic type. Learning to balance out our actions and retain a degree of control is part of growing up. Gav clearly needs some help with this. A senior member of the club should be taking him to one side to try and help him.

My rugby club had a hooker for a number of years who was a really nice family man sober but an over aggressive child after three pints, he was incredibly strong and liked to wrestle. The club captain decreed that anyone who bought him anything stronger than a shandy on a night out would be up in front of a kangaroo court. People with self control issues need a helping hand.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 13 Jul 2013, 8:32 am

Guys that want to wrestle when drunk are frickin annoying.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Sat 13 Jul 2013, 8:52 am

Sam we have a drunken wrestler too, another naturally strong man, but ours insists on being naked. Thankfully he can handle quite a bit of drink so its generally a late night event.

The issue I have is that its a repeating pattern. Gav + social setting with team/friends/strangers on a train/plane + beer = calamity.

Plus who in their right mind would slate St Jonny? He must be barking.

Gibson, to be clear I personally find no Glee in seeing him lamped or his misfortune.

I just have no sympathy for his continued inability to play nicely with others. It was a cracking dig mind you.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:01 am

Yeah I don't understand the drunken wrestlers. It is annoying when your standing at the bar one second then suddenly on the floor with a demented hooker trying to make you tap out.

People who can't handle their beer and aren't the brightest will keep drinking too much and getting into bother. The Bath club captain should be taking this in hand and telling the boys and Henson that he is now Captain Shandy until further notice anyone seen buying him something stronger or if he's seen buying anything stronger It's time for some squad justice. Whether that be Mad Cow, application of waxing strips or the cream cracker challenge is up to the club captain.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Sat 13 Jul 2013, 11:33 am

Hahaha the cream cracker challange! Was playing it with the kids the other week. One of my mates managed 5...an incredible feat hailed by all who witnessed it. It later transpired he had a huge chunk of butter wedged between his cheek and gum to provide the lube. Some called it cheating..I called it genius

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next