The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things that have no place in rugby

+39
nganboy
Exiledinborders
Rinsure
jimmyinthewell68
Scrumpy
welshy824 (new)
neilthom7
Mr Fishpaste
Glas a du
funnyExiledScot
maestegmafia
Cyril
dallym
GLove39
MrsP
Mr Bounce
R!skysports
Bathman_in_London
Knowsit17
fa0019
Taffineastbourne
SecretFly
Breadvan
dummy_half
Submachine
RubyGuby
Scarpia
InjuredYetAgain
doctor_grey
GloriousEmpire
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
thebandwagonsociety
formerly known as Sam
Biltong
Comfort
GunsGerms
bluestonevedder
kiakahaaotearoa
43 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Things that have no place in rugby - Page 3 Empty Things that have no place in rugby

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 22 Jul 2013, 4:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

Earlier today I made a rather cryptic thread commenting on something which I thought rugby could well do without: namely backs who feel the need to grow beards as if they were auditioning for a part in a shipwreck movie. You can get away with the Grizzly Adams look if you're a forward simply because you can get away with a lot of things when you're that size.

On Sunday night I watched the full Reds Ceusaders game. My understanding is that Crotty is growing his beard and won't shave it off until his good mate Fruean is back and recovered from heart surgery. I can make an exception for this much like hideous taches in Movember as it's selflessly minded. I don't profess to know the story of Dom Shipperley but if he doesn't have one he should be slapped silly by his team mates until he shaves that ridiculous beard off. I'm not saying a back can't have a beard but this don't come near me I'm crazy beard look is fooling nobody.

So apologies to those frustrated by my obtuseness but some of the comments did get me wondering. The wearing of skull caps, celebrating of tries, tattoos and long hair came up. So what do you think should be banned by the IRB? In no particular order and apart from Robinson Crusoe beards on backs or at least backline players here are things that need to go. I'm not interested in laws but I am in incidental things.

1. Halftime comments from a player with no interest in making one. Just leave them be. We know what they're thinking and we know they're not going to say what they're thinking.

2. Music to artificially generate atmosphere. This is a big gripe with NZ in particular. Fine at sevens but no Mexican trumpet at kick offs, no music after a try. Just let the game do the talking.

3. Video technology is all well and good when used properly. But often it is used needlessly and kills the continuity of the game. Sometimes it needs to be used and sometimes we all know the ref or linesmen saw what happened but just want to play it safe.

No doubt I will add to the list but that'll do for now. Get it off your chests. Don't hold back. It feels good!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Things that have no place in rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Things that have no place in rugby

Post by Cyril Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:15 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:Players stopping quick free-kicks/penalties by holding onto the ball or sneakily throwing/rolling it away.

This doesn't get punished enough (by penalties, being marched back 10 metres or a yellow card). I do think I remember Drew Mitchell getting a second yellow (and his marching orders) for doing it though, which is a pretty stupid way of earning an early bath!

If it became more harshly penalised, they'd have to seriously think about back-dating it through perhaps a century?  As some pretty big games have been won through the decades on the whim of a player who held onto a ball for enough miliseconds to make a swift counter-attack unviable.
Aye. If you wouldn't mind doing the research and have the report on my desk by 9.00am tomorrow. If you need any help prior to 1965 drop emack a line Very Happy 

Oh, and I also meant the stopping of quick line-outs too. That's really annoying.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Things that have no place in rugby - Page 3 Empty Re: Things that have no place in rugby

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

It's the silly face pulling and ridiculous routine some players perform that enters room 101 for me..

Yeah, that's a big one for me...though strangely, it seldom gets the ridicule it deserves either in the general media or indeed here.

Some will say, if it gets results.... (Wilkinson, Farrell etc) then it can't be bad.  That argument though presumes the results wouldn't come without the 'showmanship' courting displays that precede them.  I think most of them at this point are designed signature tunes rather than necessary ticks and preps for a perfect kick.

I watched highlights of Quade Cooper at work recently.  And his Jesus-on-a-cross act looked very impressive but I still watched at least one of his shots go a mile wide.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:28 pm

For every minty python run up or silly face that has a reasonably accurate percentage, there those who are better who just kick it accurately, without the drama...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:For every minty python run up or silly face that has a reasonably accurate percentage, there those who are better who just kick it accurately, without the drama...!
Can you give some examples of silly run-ups/face pulling?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

Speaking of kicking, what about the touch judges who look at each other under the posts. Did you see that? No, did you see that? I don't know, I was looking at you. I don't know I was looking at you...

The flags go up.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm

fa0019 wrote:One thing I never liked was the obvious copying of styles from other kickers.

Neil Jenkins copied Grant Fox action for action in the old days (albeit probably superceding the 'master' in terms of his effectiveness).

Elton Jantjies has taken JW's action to the extreme. It looks ridiculous.

This is a very good one. There are way too many JW wannabies. Be your own man and find a style that suits you. Unless its ridiculous like the Cooper Popeye routine, Keatleys slut drop or Rob Cooks banana split.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

We have Hawkeye on the posts now for important GAA games (namely any game that is lucky enough to be held in Croke Park!)

But it is quick and painless for those "looking at me, looking at you" touch judge moments on kicks.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 24 Jul 2013, 1:13 pm

Good call on the place kicking OCD - I think at times it all becomes something of a psychological crutch, in that taking 4 steps back, 3 to the side, wiping the left boot on the back of the right sock twice and then squatting as though someone has nicked the lav worked well as preparation for one important kick so it has to be done for ever kick ever...

Seriously, all that matters in kicking a goal is how the ball is aligned, where your standing foot lands relative to the ball and how your kicking foot swings and makes contact - all I ever focussed on was the small area on the ball that I wanted to strike (about a 1 inch square) and swinging my leg through there on the desired line. A bit like golf, too many thoughts get in the way of effectiveness.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Jul 2013, 1:21 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Seriously, all that matters in kicking a goal is how the ball is aligned, where your standing foot lands relative to the ball and how your kicking foot swings and makes contact - all I ever focussed on was the small area on the ball that I wanted to strike (about a 1 inch square) and swinging my leg through there on the desired line. A bit like golf, too many thoughts get in the way of effectiveness.

And your famous on-target kicking ratio proves the rest Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 4:48 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I don't like the practice of tucking your mouthguard into your sock. Would you eat food out of a sock? Maybe at Christmas time but those ones haven't been worn and normally the food inside is either wrapped up or packaged.

I much prefer to have a mouthguard necklace where the plastic container can be brought out and the mouthguard hygienically stored away when not needed.
WHAT????????????
Hygienic? Why? We need the dirt to wash all that awful clean off us.

Mouthguard necklace? You must be the Uber-back or 'Alpha-back' based upon our descriptions of backs in the thread.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

2. Music to artificially generate atmosphere. This is a big gripe with NZ in particular. Fine at sevens but no Mexican trumpet at kick offs, no music after a try. Just let the game do the talking.

This is a MASSIVE issue at Murrayfield. On a cold November Friday evening there's be about 20 of us in the stands having to cover our ears whilst they belt out some twaddle over the loud speakers. I find myself wondering for whose benefit?? Does the fact that Laidlaw has just kicked a penalty rendering the scoreline Edinburgh 3 - Opposition 78 really justify music??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

This is a MASSIVE issue at Murrayfield. On a cold November Friday evening there's be about 20 of us in the stands having to cover our ears whilst they belt out some twaddle over the loud speakers. I find myself wondering for whose benefit?? Does the fact that Laidlaw has just kicked a penalty rendering the scoreline Edinburgh 3 - Opposition 78 really justify music??
I suppose this would be in bad taste???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV0YXXyuHc

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 24 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

Blowing off in the scrum
A SA friend told me a story years ago about a uni game where the opponents hooker wouldn't stop farting (smelly ones to boot). It got so bad that the ref warned him about his behaviour. Despite this, the guy cracked another one off to which the ref awarded a penalty to the other team. That team's captain said to the ref that they would go for the posts but was bemused when the ref told him that you weren't allowed to try for the posts from that kind of penalty!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:06 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I don't like the practice of tucking your mouthguard into your sock. Would you eat food out of a sock? Maybe at Christmas time but those ones haven't been worn and normally the food inside is either wrapped up or packaged.

I much prefer to have a mouthguard necklace where the plastic container can be brought out and the mouthguard hygienically stored away when not needed.

necklace ? in rugby?

That would be straight on this list

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

Thought I could control my anger, but no.....here come more...

necklace in rugby

Backs running blocking lines 200 m in front of the ball

Celebration before, during and after a try

Non rollers away waving their hands in the air while lying on the ball - move you fat arse

Squint scrum put ins

BBC Alba

waving an imaginary card at the ref

pink rugby strips

The inability of other fans to see what I see

Scotland as dark horses

Players being quoted as 'world class' after half a season

Man of the matches, which have obviously been chosen before the game to satisfy the public / broadcaster

Fakers

Build ups that focus on two players 'head to head to the death'

Watered down beer

Favourate teams getting the ref's blessing in every 50 / 50

Still got anger in me

Sad

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:27 pm

Laugh I still see much anger in you. Keep them coming. Did I mention I like to wear a friendship bracelet when kicking goals?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Laugh I still see much anger in you. Keep them coming. Did I mention I like to wear a friendship bracelet when kicking goals?

Grrrrrr

Bracelets and necklace

Can not compute

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Laugh I still see much anger in you. Keep them coming. Did I mention I like to wear a friendship bracelet when kicking goals?
and frilly pink undies?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

"Things that have no place in rugby"

A lack of inclusivity.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:58 pm

A lack of in-clus-ivity

A lack of inclu-sivity.

Hmmm...

I'm having trouble with that one, Glas. Care to elaborate?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:59 pm

It's an Edwardian joke...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm

Oh that's okay..I was too young to go down with the Titanic so I never heard it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm

Just think of the old comedian on the fast show.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:27 am

Glas,
You have me on that one too.

Besides, when you say Edwardian, which Edward do you mean?
Edward I was a long time ago.  I will ask my dad.  I think he was alive then.

But to be serious for a moment, a lack of inclusivness doesn't belong in society, let alone Rugby.  I am biased, but I truly believe Rugby is ahead of the curve, and by a good margin.  Not perfect, mind, because that's impossible.  But pretty damn good.  And my opinion is that in Rugby when we spend so much time rucking, mauling, tackling, grabbing, havin' a pint or three, and basically winning or losing as an effing team culls out the worst of the lot.  Simply put, we can't be successful in the Rugby of today if one has a problem

Even here in an internet forum where not many of us have ever met and we can't read faces, I still think we come off pretty well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 25 Jul 2013, 8:21 am

Jokes are crap if you have to explain them.

What has no place in rugby? Excluding things.

Better?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu 25 Jul 2013, 8:25 am

Glas a du wrote:Jokes are crap if you have to explain them.

Better?

Very Happy  It's like the old chestnut, "The one thing I can't stand is intolerance."

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 25 Jul 2013, 8:26 am

doctor_grey wrote:Glas,

But to be serious for a moment, a lack of inclusivness doesn't belong in society, let alone Rugby.  I am biased, but I truly believe Rugby is ahead of the curve, and by a good margin.  Not perfect, mind, because that's impossible.  But pretty damn good.  And my opinion is that in Rugby when we spend so much time rucking, mauling, tackling, grabbing, havin' a pint or three, and basically winning or losing as an effing team culls out the worst of the lot.  Simply put, we can't be successful in the Rugby of today if one has a problem

Even here in an internet forum where not many of us have ever met and we can't read faces, I still think we come off pretty well.

I'm puzzled doc. Were you King Edward in a previous life, and if so which one? Or was your name Edward and you changed it when you were growing up because the kids used to tease you mercilessly, in which case I don't want to hear about that. Brings up memories of changing my name from Octavian.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 25 Jul 2013, 8:28 am

Scarpia wrote:

Better?

Very Happy   It's like the old chestnut, "The one thing I can't stand is intolerance."

Which Mike Meyers altered slightly in Gold member: All right Goldmember. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 25 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Glas,

I'm puzzled doc. Were you King Edward in a previous life, and if so which one? Or was your name Edward and you changed it when you were growing up because the kids used to tease you mercilessly, in which case I don't want to hear about that. Brings up memories of changing my name from Octavian.
Not royalty, Octavian.  Just a good solid English Bastardd (extra 'd' added because the web site editor doesn't like the 'clean' usage of Bar Steward).

Was planning to be reborn with the name George, but the little bu99er beat me to it.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 25 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

How dare a common man address me so impertinently!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu 25 Jul 2013, 3:01 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
Scarpia wrote:

Better?

Very Happy   It's like the old chestnut, "The one thing I can't stand is intolerance."

Which Mike Meyers altered slightly in Gold member: All right Goldmember. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

thumbsup 

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 25 Jul 2013, 4:51 pm

He missed a chance of aping the Spannish Inquisition sketch there I think...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 26 Jul 2013, 5:44 pm

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Fri 26 Jul 2013, 5:45 pm

Steady on, or else I'll call the Mods and have you removed!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 26 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

Iain Henderson needs a beard he looks like a really overgrown 12 year old you don't know whether to be frightened or to ask him does he need a nap.
As for Humphreys I suspect he grew that to try and fool people at a quick glance he can't tackle so maybe he was trying to make people think hes a forward to stay away from him?
Nah I don't really care what they wear as long as they play well, I hate them stupid try celebrations though if i was a coach you would be spending time cleaning boots and on the bench after one of those.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun 28 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

Excessively large medical kits. You could perform heart replacements on the pitch nowadays if needs be.
Bring back the golden days. Yonks ago, when playing for the club's 3rds, I most untypically (not) arrived at a ruck late. I got there just as one of our guys wrestled the ball of the opposition but, unfortuantely, the momentum behind the effort he put in to winning the ball meant that his elbow came flying back at the speed of a tracer bullet and hit me flush in the Green Bay Packers. I went down like I had been shot. On trundles our committee man, cigarette hanging out his mouth. He had been paying NO attention to the game so asked me what had happened. Between painful gasps for air, I told him.
I was then inforned that the "medical kit" comprised ofr (a) Ralgex or (b) a wet sponge which had been sitting in cold water since the game had started. Despite the ache coming from my now swollen 'nads and the waves of nausea I was experiencing, I politely declined both and resumed play (although for the next 5/10 minutes, I was even further off the pace), feeling very sorry for myself.
Those were the days!!!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

Kicking tees - use mud like the rest of us

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

any of the front five attempting to kick the ball
front five wearing bright coloured boots
no one (especially backs) doing stupid offloads thinking they are sonny bill.
players falling off easy tackles!
players shouting at the ref, its not football allow the captain and pack leader to speak to the ref.
backs thinking they are forwards and either trying to run through someone (and failing) or getting involved in a ruck or maul (I mean pish off)

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm

welshy824 (new) wrote:any of the front five attempting to kick the ball
front five wearing bright coloured boots
no one (especially backs) doing stupid offloads thinking they are sonny bill.
players falling off easy tackles!
players shouting at the ref, its not football allow the captain and pack leader to speak to the ref.
backs thinking they are forwards and either trying to run through someone (and failing) or getting involved in a ruck or maul (I mean pish off)

You must have missed John Smit's grubber that Matfield scored from.

You must have missed Dunnings dropgoal

Never saw Etzebeth monster Bismarck du Plessis?

Never seen de Villiers play?

Hug 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Tue 06 Aug 2013, 3:34 pm

ok bilt, but apart from Saffers, who are basically all forwards anyway!!

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Wed 07 Aug 2013, 12:34 pm

It's happened for years. Emyr Lewis's grubber kick for Ieuan Evans to beat Rory (rabbit caught in headlights) Underwood and score a winning try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvBcPgq8q4

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

Pre-game rituals that mean one team have to stand still and show respect when they should be psyching themselves up.

Signing offensive songs like 'Flower of Scotland'

Sin binned players having a break, they should be made to jog on the spot for 10mins at the side of the pitch.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:35 pm

What about the rituals of standing underneath the posts during the game when they should be psyching themselves up? Smile 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

Red carpets.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 07 Aug 2013, 1:57 pm

Corporate sponsors getting to speak at the trophy presentation. Nobody knows who these people are and nobody cares. Get a spokesperson in for the company who has a personality and keeps the speech nice and short and up vibe. Not some octogenarian droning on forever sucking out the will to live among the crowd.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

SH rule book.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 4:27 pm

Royals
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 07 Aug 2013, 4:31 pm

Scrumpy wrote:SH rule book.

Forward passes

Oh, you covered it

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 07 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

Players with long hair.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 07 Aug 2013, 5:05 pm

celebrating with your team mates  even before the penalty been converted

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next