The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racism in golf strikes again

+13
Bob_the_Job
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
JAS
Davie
Diggers
MustPuttBetter
dynamark
navyblueshorts
beninho
kwinigolfer
shclaff
McLaren
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Racism in golf strikes again Empty Racism in golf strikes again

Post by McLaren Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/27/steve-elkington-apologises-racist-tweets

The Guardian wrote:

Steve Elkington apologises over 'racist' tweets at British Senior Open

Steve Elkington, the 1995 US PGA champion, has thrown himself on the mercy of the European Tour over an offensive tweet he sent on Saturday morning and another from Friday in which he castigated the town of Southport, much of its population and its food.

"Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis, bad night for them", was the missive Elkington issued in the morning, following on from one in which he suggested that spending his week in the respectable Lancashire coastal town, which is hosting the Senior Open this week, was an experience he is not enjoying. "Things about Southport … fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, Poopie food."

Leaving aside the potential actions of the golf authorities, the language the 50-year-old used may see him the subject of legal action.

Elkington left the recorders' hut with his caddie after signing for a one-over 71 and headed straight for the competitors' car park. A European Tour official said the Australian did not wish to add to his statement which was issued at 2.15pm, 20 minutes after he teed off the third round accompanied by a policeman for the opening holes.

"I am prepared to adhere to any disciplinary action that the Championship sees fit," it read. "In my tweet I was referring to an unfortunate incident involving a caddie earlier in the week. Being Australian, I was unaware that my use of language in relation to the Pakistani people would cause offence, but having been made aware I now deeply regret the use of that terminology.

"Southport is a beautiful place and I have enjoyed playing at Royal Birkdale, as my positive content on Twitter has shown. My comments were born out of frustration over what had happened to a colleague."

Elkington was politely clapped by a largely unwitting crowd as he was introduced on the 1st tee and was the personification of politeness when he asked a fairway marshall to stand out of his eyeline before playing his second shot into the par-four 6th.

Earlier the European Tour issued a statement to say that it had spoken to Elkington about his "inappropriate and regrettable comments" and said the matter will be reviewed before the Championship considers disciplinary action. "Steve has expressed his regret at his comments and wishes to apologise to the Championship and the people of Southport for any offence caused."

Garcia and now this. :picard: 

Will it ever end?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Racism in golf strikes again Empty Re: Racism in golf strikes again

Post by shclaff Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:37 am

What a pillock. The old Luis Suarez defence - "its fine to say it back home!"

The guy has been slamming the place/course/country all week on twitter and then issues a totally vacuous, insincere apology.

Be great to see the governing bodies procrastinate for a while and then do nothing.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 am

Is that racist? Or just stupid??
"Apology" looks worse than the original offence - like "I can call these guys what the hell I choose because I'm Australian".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Is that racist? Or just stupid??

Both.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:50 am

It's an offensive term in Britain when it was used as a catch all racist remark against all south east Asians (I think that's correct). I do not know how racist the term is in other parts of the world. But if he is just calling a group of Asians pakkis then there is no defence. What a tool.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

So, assuming he had an accurate ethnic description, he should just have written Pakistanis and all would have been well? (And, yes, I know the phrase is considered offensive - and I complain about "Brit" being offensive too.)
Fair enough - doubt Elkington gives a toss, least of all about any E.T. sanctions. Surprised he didn't hunt down the perpetators himself and sort them out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:So, assuming he had an accurate ethnic description, he should just have written Pakistanis and all would have been well? (And, yes, I know the phrase is considered offensive - and I complain about "Brit" being offensive too.)
Fair enough - doubt Elkington gives a toss, least of all about any E.T. sanctions. Surprised he didn't hunt down the perpetators himself and sort them out.

brit is not offensive and has never been used as a way to degrade people based on race.

A racist term is a long way from an accurate ethnic description don't you think? Why even mention the race when it has nothing to do with the situation?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:50 pm

I find Brit offensive - hate the word.

I agree what is politically correct.
Aussie for Australian is OK.
person of Asian descent for Pakistani is not OK.

But I also believe political correctness is over-rated.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Mac. You occasionally write some pathetic, offensive carp on here so, you know, when in glass houses and all that....
He doesn't know the term is deemed racist here? Fine, he does now and he's apologised. Get over it. I kind of forgive him in some ways for not being inherently au fait with the generally pathetic, over-sensitive bunch of wet weekends that we now are here in the U.K.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:35 pm

1 Southport is not a particularily beautiful place like most coastal English towns sadly .
2 Brit will never be a racist term -mainly because most brits don't give a monkeys.
3 Pakki ?probably local never been anywhere near the place.But if he had used the word Pakistanis or irish lads or pykeys(god forbid) or americans or Englishmen?
Forgive me but who wants to see anyones twitter account.daft

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Like Kwini says, I've never understood why 'Pakki' is apparently racist. Surely it's an abbreviation of 'Pakistani'? No one deems Brit, Scot etc to be racist.
Can't see the racism in this but he's said some pretty mean and silly things for sure.
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Pakki is initially shortened from Pakistani. But was/still is used a general racial term against all south Asians. Has been used as a racist slur for years. Majority of south Asians in UK are of Indian descent don't take the catch all term pakki so well. To use the term is ignorant.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I've never heard the abbreviation for Pakistani used with any kind of affection whatsoever, utterly the reverse on fact , and is not used by Pakistanis as far as I know, Brit is usually used as a term of endearment in my experience and used by Brits to descrive themselves with pride and Kwini is the only person I've ever known with any kind of issue with it. I put it down to being a personal quirk, we all have them.
Why anyone would struggle to see the difference between the two words baffles me but that wouldn't be the first time I've been baffled by people's views on racist terms, excuse the pun biut appears to be par for the course.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

It's not about racism in golf. It's just about racism

Nothing really to do with golf at all - put it in the off topic section

I can see both sides of the story (we must have some Aussies on here .. ask them if Paki is considered racist or not in Aus) - it IS just an abbreviation of a name but as someone said earlier it has had negative connotations for 30 years or more now

Brit has no real negative connotations as far as I know. Poms, limeys etc perhaps do but I don't think we really give a sh!t about it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:10 pm

There is no Off Topic board Dave, it got closed ironically mainly due to a couple of little racists/bigots depending on any given persons viewpoint.

Last edited by Diggers on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Funny I thought there was an off topic board here https://www.606v2.com/f15-off-topic

You might want to reconsider your wording there though as it could imply some sort of connection between me and racist/bigots

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:45 pm

The current affairs section which would cover this kind of thing is no more. Shame really. Will edit prior post accordingly

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:06 pm

These threads are always the same. Mac brings up alleged potential racist comment, I seem to always not see it, Digs will say 'why you can't see this baffles me', Mac will say 'why mention race if.....'.

Shall we just talk about golf?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:

Shall we just talk about golf?

Perhaps someone should have given those sage words of advice to Mr Elkington.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Can't argue with that
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:55 am

Navy

Having spent a fair amount of time in Australia I can assure you he was aware of the meaning. Also, what have I said that you found to be as offensive as elkington's racist remark?

This does have something to do with golf because it is the responsibility of the community Elkington associates with to ensure he knows just how despicable his comments and views are. I don't want to witness him getting a massive cheer like Garcia did at the open 1st tee because golf fans are a bunch of pin heads. Garcia was not the victim of PC gone mad, he was the victim of being a racist moron.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 am

Look, I absolutely despise racism, sexism and bigotry with a passion (real racism, sexism & bigotry - not the Guardianista definition which would have everyone treading on eggshells every time they open their mouths). I think the prime way to make it more difficult to eradicate these evils is to cry wolf in the way that Mac and his beloved Guardian do.

I tend to think that calling Garcia a racist moron is infinitely more offensive (and open to action if Sergio actually saw it and decided to do something about it).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 am

He did also mention Fat Tattooed Men, Fat tattooed women and sh*t food, so he's not all wrong.

However , I agree with JAS that Mac and his mealy mouthed cohorts who go out looking for offence at the slightest opportunity and who only succeed in publicising the original transgression more are often as bad as the perpetrator as it seems to be a faux offence response to appear "right on".

Incidently, what happened to the Current Affairs section?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 am

I love the logic that comes to the conclusion that casual racism is actually the fault of those that condemn it. Genius.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:12 am

I'm not saying that at all Diggers, I'm just saying that the simpering over-reaction and faux offence is also irritating.

It's almost as if Mac scours media for someone saying anything out of line so he can jump on it with his contrived condemnation.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:12 am

I never read the guardian and really don't like the tone of the articles in it. If that helps anyone?

Jas

Might the way to tackle racism be to not try and make excuses for those that make racist comments.

What Elkington said was racist, so why are people on here trying to make out otherwise? As with all these issues it is sad to see the general golfing population just let it go.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:12 am

super_realist wrote:I'm not saying that at all Diggers, I'm just saying that the simpering over-reaction and faux offence is also irritating.

Where have you read faux offence?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 am

In almost everything you see and comment on.
Elkington is a tool and it was a racist comment, but is it really worth making such a song and dance of? He's a has-been golfer and I doubt any one has taken any notice of what he said.
I'm not saying "let it go" or brushing it under the carpet, you hear a lot worse on the terraces and in pubs (and you probably hear a lot worse on the bus). Do you leave your seat or pint and walk out in disgust? Doubt it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 am

Super

If people on here don't understand that what Elk said was racist, then what hope is there for improved atmospheres in golf clubs around the country?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 am

McLaren wrote:I never read the guardian and really don't like the tone of the articles in it.  If that helps anyone?

Jas

Might the way to tackle racism be to not try and make excuses for those that make racist comments.

What Elkington said was racist, so why are people on here trying to make out otherwise?  As with all these issues it is sad to see the general golfing population just let it go.

....and so you are able to quote from something you never read???? Genius!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 am

No one is denying that what he said was racist, at least I haven't seen any comments on that.
What I was commenting on was that you appear to seek such comments out. Golf is not alone in being backward in it's views. Virtually every sector of British society is the same in other prejudices too such as sexual orientation, gender, age, etc.

Acting as if it is something deeply shocking and with faux disgust is simply to ignore that it's commonplace. Doesn't excuse it, but just not sure why you think it's newsworthy when a sportsman makes a stupid, crass or racist comment. Giving them the oxygen of publicity and expressing this overacted offence won't make it any better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 am

Super

It is not faux disgust, it makes me rather angry that a player can make such a comment and no one covering the event or golf and no fellow players condemn him for it.

It is clear racism is rife in the UK, but given this is a golf forum I guess we have to stick to where golf fits into the problem.

I want to see; people unfollow him, commentators oust him as a sewer of a human being, endorsement deals pulled, fellow players refuse to tee it up with him and all of this made very public.

Would a few public falls from grace for those guilty of racism do any harm?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:41 am

Look, what Elkington said clearly wasn't clever or appropriate and certainly worthy of a subsequent apology (the whole statement not just the P word). Unlike the caddies however no-one was physically harmed in the making of the comment.

Amazing how people get more annoyed by derogatory name calling of the perpetrators of an assault rather than the assault itself. No wonder there are so many violent assaults in our society!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 am

Mac, please let us know when your sense of perspective re-enters the orbit of this planet. Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 am

Angry? Ha ha. From what I've seen there are lots of sportsman with deeply unpleasant personalities and habits and very few who come across well in the media.

You're a Woods fan and from what I've seen he's one of sports biggest c**ts yet, you worship him.

Is it just racism you find distasteful?

I couldn't care less what some has-been no mark in a seniors event says especially because I'm not sad enough to read his twitter feeds, I couldn't care less what an individual has to say, but then I don't get offended by much and certainly don't go looking for it.
If you are going to sign up to something like that, don't be surprised when people say stuff which doesn't fit in with your editorial.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:49 am

There's always a "but" on here. I'm all against racism but do we have to mention it when someone is being racist..its just so tedious. I'm against racism but its all the Guardians fault for making a fuss about it....It sounded racist but actually he was just helpful but using the word black in front of a%%hole so we knew who he was talking about....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:54 am

No one is excusing it Diggers, just that Mac seems to leap onto it as if it is something truly shocking and worthy of the death penalty.
It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that sports people are by and large guilty of being moronic and stupid at times. He's a football fan for goodness sake. He'd hear a lot worse if he actually went to games instead of streaming them on his laptop.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

I don't agree, I think people do excuse it. That's exactly what happens IMO.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:02 am

So shall we have a poll on what people think was worse...

1) The Caddies being set upon by a group of "inappropriately named" people
or
2) Those perpetrators of a crime being called inappropriate names by friend of the victims

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 am

Just for the record I'm not excusing what Elkington said, I just find it odd that as a society we feel the need to be more outraged at name calling than an aggravated assault/robbery.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

So one being worse excuses the other Jas ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 am

I find it odd as a society that we should make excuses for casual racism because a violent crime has been committed.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 am

Really? I don't think I've seen anyone excuse it, but what I have seen is a great deal of selectivity as to what they find offensive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 am

I'm not surprised you don't see it being excused considering the myopia that surrounds casual racism.
Must make note to myself, go home and explain to daughters its OK to call a bunch of Asian kids at school Pakkis as we call ourselves Brits so what's all the fuss about.......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 am

Diggers, for heavens' sake. What I mean is that I haven't seen anyone say "it isn't racist".
Of course it's racist, I just don't think an idiotic tweet from a redneck golfer should A) be a surprise or B) be taken quite so seriously.

What exactly do we expect from such people and why are we so shocked/surprised when they come out with it.

That isn't excusing it. Not as if Steve Elkington is a role model for anyone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

JAS wrote:So shall we have a poll on what people think was worse...

or
2) Those perpetrators of a crime being called inappropriate names by friend of the victims

What a silly comparison and misunderstanding of the situation. Both are bad and one does never excuse the other.

Making a racist comment in the media has an effect on many people. Racist remarks cause humiliation. hurt, generally make people feel unwelcome and cuase a lot damage between different groups of people.

If you were of pakistani origin how would you feel about someone basically getting away with saying that in public? Would you feel as if your fellow man had your back in times of need?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 am

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:So shall we have a poll on what people think was worse...

or

What a silly comparison and misunderstanding of the situation.  Both are bad and one does never excuse the other.

Making a racist comment in the media has an effect on many people.  Racist remarks cause humiliation. hurt, generally make people feel unwelcome and cuase a lot damage between different groups of people.

If you were of pakistani origin how would you feel about someone basically getting away with saying that in public?  Would you feel as if your fellow man had your back in times of need?

It's not a silly comparison it's a genuine question about what we think is the more serious offence that we as a society should be more concerned about.

How many people do you know from Pakistan that object to being called person of Asian descent?? I don't know what cultural change that country has undergone that makes its citizens feel that and abbreviated name of the country is somehow inappropriate in a way that Scot isn't. Are they ashamed of their country and its record on lack of democracy and human rights abuses and so don't wish to be associated with it?
Should I be offended at being called a Jock or a Sweaty?? Please tell me so I can begin to practice being offended!!!
One thing I do know....NEVER call an Indian by the P word, I saw this after a works night out a few years ago when we were walking along laughing and joking and a little yob uttered the phrase "shut up you P@&& C***...Jeezo que Armageddon, my placid Indian work colleague almost spontaneously combusted!!
Suffice to say, there's at least one yob out there that now understands the difference!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:I never read the guardian and really don't like the tone of the articles in it.  If that helps anyone?

Jas

What Elkington said was racist, so why are people on here trying to make out otherwise?  As with all these issues it is sad to see the general golfing population just let it go.

....and so you are able to quote from something you never read????   Genius!!
Laugh Good spot. What a plum!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:46 am

Jas

Tell me something about yourself that has caused particular anguish in your life?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
JAS wrote:
....and so you are able to quote from something you never read????   Genius!!
:laugh: Good spot. What a plum!

I meant that actual paper and not the online site.  But if small smart arse come backs eases the blow of finding out how little people care about racism then so be it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next