The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Racism in golf strikes again

+13
Bob_the_Job
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
JAS
Davie
Diggers
MustPuttBetter
dynamark
navyblueshorts
beninho
kwinigolfer
shclaff
McLaren
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Racism in golf strikes again - Page 3 Empty Racism in golf strikes again

Post by McLaren Sun 28 Jul 2013, 10:18 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/27/steve-elkington-apologises-racist-tweets

The Guardian wrote:

Steve Elkington apologises over 'racist' tweets at British Senior Open

Steve Elkington, the 1995 US PGA champion, has thrown himself on the mercy of the European Tour over an offensive tweet he sent on Saturday morning and another from Friday in which he castigated the town of Southport, much of its population and its food.

"Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis, bad night for them", was the missive Elkington issued in the morning, following on from one in which he suggested that spending his week in the respectable Lancashire coastal town, which is hosting the Senior Open this week, was an experience he is not enjoying. "Things about Southport … fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, Poopie food."

Leaving aside the potential actions of the golf authorities, the language the 50-year-old used may see him the subject of legal action.

Elkington left the recorders' hut with his caddie after signing for a one-over 71 and headed straight for the competitors' car park. A European Tour official said the Australian did not wish to add to his statement which was issued at 2.15pm, 20 minutes after he teed off the third round accompanied by a policeman for the opening holes.

"I am prepared to adhere to any disciplinary action that the Championship sees fit," it read. "In my tweet I was referring to an unfortunate incident involving a caddie earlier in the week. Being Australian, I was unaware that my use of language in relation to the Pakistani people would cause offence, but having been made aware I now deeply regret the use of that terminology.

"Southport is a beautiful place and I have enjoyed playing at Royal Birkdale, as my positive content on Twitter has shown. My comments were born out of frustration over what had happened to a colleague."

Elkington was politely clapped by a largely unwitting crowd as he was introduced on the 1st tee and was the personification of politeness when he asked a fairway marshall to stand out of his eyeline before playing his second shot into the par-four 6th.

Earlier the European Tour issued a statement to say that it had spoken to Elkington about his "inappropriate and regrettable comments" and said the matter will be reviewed before the Championship considers disciplinary action. "Steve has expressed his regret at his comments and wishes to apologise to the Championship and the people of Southport for any offence caused."

Garcia and now this. :picard: 

Will it ever end?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Racism in golf strikes again - Page 3 Empty Re: Racism in golf strikes again

Post by beninho Mon 29 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

In regards to offending people, everyone is fair game, as long as you pick your target wisely and they are happy with it, thats on a personal level. Everyone knows the line with jokes really. In an open forum of any kind stay away with sexist/racial jokes.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2013, 4:45 pm

Heard about the tobbaconists daughter?

Best shag in the shop.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 29 Jul 2013, 4:50 pm

Its like the reincarnation of Les Dawson!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:22 pm

super_realist wrote:In regard to offending people. some people are obviously off limits, but fat and ginger people are generally fair game. Laugh

Being a strawberry blonde myself (but not a fat c#nt) I find that insulting. Shocked 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

Imagine being a ginger, fat, religious, dole bludger. Not much point in leaving the house.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 29 Jul 2013, 7:53 pm

super_realist wrote:Imagine being a ginger, fat, religious, dole bludger. Not much point in leaving the house.

Especially if you lived in Scotland....or Wales....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2013, 7:59 pm

Indeed. One of my favourite jokes about Scotch people is that if they drop a coin it hits them in the back of the head.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 29 Jul 2013, 8:10 pm

My favorite Scottish joke sort of is calling the queens Celtic and popes ranger. My Celtic supporting friend takes it well but says some people wouldn't....

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2013, 8:15 pm

Fans of Celtic and Rangers are the most stupid and petty around. Two pathetic, small, insignificant football teams that they think are important.
The biggest joke of all is Scottish Football itself.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 29 Jul 2013, 8:27 pm

I'm a Wycombe wanderers fan I would love to be as insignificant as Celtic and rangers!! They though do seem to take it very seriously in Glasgow.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jul 2013, 9:30 pm

Wycombe Wanderers are probably better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 29 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm

so how many European finals have WW graced?? what's their average gate? Why did you bring football into this Super?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Jul 2013, 8:49 am

Who cares. Old Firm are insignificant, pointless teams in a tinpot league ranked about 24th in Europe.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:25 am

I find the extremities of it amusing. Cutting noses off to spite faces. I appreciate that there are some very serious implications and attacks and the like are commonplace, so I'm not trying to make light of all of it, but some stuff is so petty and pathetic it's funny:

We have a Rangers fan in the office who loves Magners but the day that they announced the sponsorship deal with Celtic "That's it, I'm never touching that sh1te again, the bas*ards". Sure they'd be happy with a VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda etc as they don't know that they are also sponsors.

I also know Celtic fans that won't have anything blue in their house. Anything blue. At all.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:52 am

It's a mirror for the whole NI/UK, Catholic/Protestant nonsense.

Ugly ugly situation, and I'd rather they were just jettisoned to let the leprechauns deal with it. The rest of the UK doesn't care about such pointless bickering.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 30 Jul 2013, 9:56 am

Ha ha...there actually would have been a time when I'd have stopped drinking Magners at the same point too. Not now though, I've kind of grown out of that nonsense.

The trouble actually is Super that they are not insignificant although I'd say it would be better all round for Scottish society if they were. Too much of Scotland, the West in particular is waaay too wrapped up in the madness.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:01 am

Not insignificant, but only significant to the bigots and morons in the West Coast who live their lives by 11 half wits kicking a ball around (badly), and plastic paddies who hang on to them through some ridiculous heritage claim. No one else gives a tinkers cuss about them.

I'd actually give the West Coast to NI, they are a scourge on the country in many ways.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:20 am

Its also a heritage thing isnt it? The amount of non scots that have Scottish heritage, are always looking to get involved.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:40 am

It's cos the haggis noshers are about as daft as the tatty muchers, think it's the bad weather leading to inbreeding.... Whistle 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:02 pm

All the mentions of 'pakki' on this thread just remind me of the brilliant 'East is East'. The scene where the little boy sees his brother's prospective in-laws arriving from Bradford and runs back into the house shouting 'the pakkis are coming, the pakkis are coming!' is hilarious.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:21 pm

As far as I remember from my aussie endeavours, the term 'abo' is seen as slightly racist (or at least derogatory) against aboriginals. So I guess p@ki must be as well.

With that being said: Can a pakistani call a pakistani p@ki? Blacks use the n word quite often about their homies without being called racist.

We must also assume that mac hates most white people (and the world in general). Is he racist then?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:26 pm

Pakki is definitely a derogatory term in Bradford, where my wife's family are from. Every time one of them uses the term it makes me cringe, but living in an overwhelmingly white city in southern England I don't presume to know what it is really like to live there, how they feel, what their experiences are and exactly how 'racist' they may or may not be simply because they use that term.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

A typical day in British (or any other nation) news headlines:

Headline story: One young drunk Briton injured in Ibiza foam party. (Blablablaba for 15 minutes.)
Other news: Ferry sunk off Philipines. 4000 dead. No Britons among passengers. Racism in golf strikes again - Page 3 1347041234 And now the weather.

How does that contribute to institutionalise racism? Could've been the Guardian.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 30 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm

Strictly speaking Pedro that's nationalism, not racism, but it's a fair point. I seem to remember the Not the 9 O'clock News team doing a good parody - 'A briton has died in a coach crash....other dead, in order of importance, were 5 americans, 3 australians.....'
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 30 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm

Speaking of which: sad to hear about Mel Smith.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3