The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014

+44
Geordie
Notch
yappysnap
Biltong
UlstermaninGlasgow
Janecory
jimbopip
cakeordeath
VinceWLB
highland_scot
aucklandlaurie
madmaccas
Jenifer McLadyboy
reallybored
EST
bsando
SlipperyAsAWetTrout
Manky-Flanker
Captain_Sensible
Artful_Dodger
IanBru
Tramptastic
InjuredYetAgain
justified sinner
boomeranga
21st Century Schizoid Man
Majestic83
nickj
Dorothy_Mantooth
allyt2k
Pat_Mustard
alive555
maestegmafia
whocares
GLove39
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
Weegie Wizard
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
48 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014 - Page 9 Empty New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014

Post by George Carlin Wed 31 Jul 2013, 10:13 am

First topic message reminder :

We exhausted the other thread, so here we go with a new one for all of your pre-season banter needs.

1. Edinburgh coffee cake 

Chairman: Jim Calder
CEO: Craig Docherty
Coach: Alan Solomons Yahoo 
Captain: Greig Laidlaw

(a) Squad:

Props
Geoff Cross, WP Nel, Lewis Niven, Alasdair Dickinson

Hookers
Ross Ford, Steven Lawrie, Aleki Lutui, Alun Walker,

Locks
Sean Cox, Grant Gilchrist, Perry Parker, Izak van der Westhuizen, Robert McAlpine,

Loose Forwards
Dimitri Basilaia, David Denton, Roddy Grant, Stuart McInally, Ross Rennie, Hamish Watson,

Half Backs
Alex Black, Greig Laidlaw, Chris Leck, Harry Leonard, Piers Francis,

Centres
Ben Atiga, Ben Cairns, Nick De Luca, John Houston, Matt Scott,

Back Three
Tom Brown, Lee Jones, Greig Tonks, Tim Visser, Nikki Walker, Dougie Fife, Jack Cuthbert

(b) Transfers 2013/2014:

Players In

Nikki Walker from Worcester Warriors
Jack Cuthbert from Bath Rugby
Aleki Lutui from Worcester Warriors
Alasdair Dickinson from Sale Sharks

Players Out

Richie Rees to Newport Gwent Dragons
Netani Talei to Newport Gwent Dragons
Sep Visser released
Mike Penn to Moseley
Andy Titterrell to London Welsh
John Yapp to London Irish
Allan Jacobsen retired
James King retired
Steven Turnbull retired

(c) Elite Development Players 2013/2014:

Alex Allan (Edinburgh Accies)
Chris Auld (Gala)*
Magnus Bradbury (Boroughmuir)*
Phil Cringle (Heriot’s)
Bruce Dick (Melrose)*
Jamie Farndale (Edinburgh Accies)
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Heriot’s)
Neil Irvine Hess (Watsonians)*
Ewan McQuillin (Gala)*
George Turner (Heriot’s)
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Accies)

* = new EDP player 

2. Glasgow monkey 

Chairman: Charles Shaw
CEO: Nathan Bomrys
Coach: Gregor Townsend
Captain: Alastair Kellock

(a) Squad:

Fraser Brown, Hooker
Finlay Gillies, Hooker
Dougie Hall, Hooker
Pat MacArthur, Hooker
Michael Cusack, Prop
Ryan Grant, Prop
Ed Kalman, Prop
Moray Low, Prop
Gordon Reid, Prop
Jon Welsh, Prop
Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Prop

Jonny Gray, Lock
Alastair Kellock, Lock
Tom Ryder, Lock
Tim Swinson, Lock
Leone Nakarawa, Lock

James Eddie, Flanker
Chris Fusaro, Flanker
Rob Harley, Flanker
Tyrone Holmes, Flanker

Ryan Wilson, Number 8
Richie Vernon, Number 8
Josh Strauss, Number 8

Chris Cusiter, Scrum-half
Nikola Matawalu, Scrum-half
Henry Pyrgos, Scrum-half

Ruaridh Jackson, Fly-half
Duncan Weir, Fly-half
Scott Wight, Fly-half

Gabriel Ascarate, Centre
Mark Bennett, Centre
Alex Dunbar, Centre
Peter Horne, Centre
Byron McGuigan, Centre

Sean Lamont, Wing
Sean Maitland, Wing
Tommy Seymour, Wing
D.T.H. van der Merwe, Wing

Stuart Hogg, Fullback
Peter Murchie, Fullback

(b) Player Transfers 2013/2014:

Players In

Richie Vernon from Sale Sharks
Tyrone Holmes from Petrarca Rugby
Jerry Yanuyanutawa from London Irish
Gabriel Ascarate from US Carcassonne
Leone Nakarawa from Fiji Barbarians

Players Out

John Barclay to Scarlets
Nick Campbell to Jersey
Ofa Fainga'anuku to Worcester Warriors
Taylor Paris to Agen
Graeme Morrison retired
Rory Lamont retired

(c) Elite Development Players 2013/2014:

Gavin Lowe (Ayr)
Rory Hughes (Stirling County)
Jack Steele (Dundee)
Finn Russell (Ayr)
Ali Price (Bedford Blues)
Adam Ashe (Stirling County)
Will Bordill (Sale Sharks)
Andrew Redmayne (Dundee)
Fergus Scott (Currie)
George Hunter (Ayr)
Darcy Rae (Ayr)

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 22 Aug 2013, 9:14 am; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014

Post by nickj Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

That Evening News piece might be a bit of 2 plus 2 equals ....

nickj

Back to top Go down

New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014 - Page 9 Empty Re: New Edinburgh and Glasgow Teams Thread - 2013/2014

Post by George Carlin Tue 13 Aug 2013, 6:54 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:From the Evening Drivel:

FORMER Scotland and Lions stand-off Craig Chalmers could be back on the market for a coaching appointment after quitting English lower league rugby side, Chinnor, without seeing them play.

Chalmers, 44, who enjoyed success at club level with Melrose but was unable to get a foot on the professional coaching ladder north of the border, moved south at the end of 
the season citing personal 
reasons.

He is understood to have 
informed Chinnor a 140-mile road trip from his home 
to training was proving 
impractical while he continues to be employed by a security firm in London with 
regular trips home to see his family. However, Chalmers told the Evening News before leaving Scotland that a clause in his rugby contract would allow him to move on if a position in the professional game was offered to him.

Chalmers, who has coached Scotland age-group and A sides, has previously been attached to the Edinburgh set-up he represented as a player in an observer capacity and many would like to see him appointed to a role reserved to allow a coach from the club scene to gain experience.

Glasgow last month appointed Ayr’s Kenny Murray and the Edinburgh place remains unoccupied.
Headscratch Perhaps that one should have been obvious to our Chick when he took the job.

Or perhaps even take temporary accommodation nearer his place of main employment? Oh yes. I went there.

It does smell a lot like he never really intended giving it a lash, which is a shame and a bit unprofessional if that's true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm

I really do hope that this doesn't mean he will get the backs coach job at Edinburgh. This latest episode confirms my previous thoughts/posts that he is not some much of a leg-end but more of a bell-end
On a brighter note, at least we now know that Solomons has arrived and taking training - he is quoted on the BBC pages as saying that the rebuilding will take 2 years

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:52 pm

tigertattie wrote:
madmaccas wrote:
At this point your Jim Hamiltons would probably become more useful than your Al Kellocks or Geoff Parlings.
My Gran is more useful than Al Kellock!
Your gran would walk into any position 1-15 with the MFLs then ! Whistle  I can see her as a grey Ross Ford or Tim Visser

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:16 am

From the Torygraph (found it in the gutter as I was doing double yellows down the high street today):

Edinburgh coach Alan Solomons will take his time as he tries to transform club's fortunes

By Alasdair Reid

Alan Solomons, the new Edinburgh coach, has said he will adopt a wait-and-see approach before deciding what he has to do to turn the ailing capital club around.

The 63-year-old South African, who met his players for only the first time on Monday, explained that it is too early to make judgements about how or where the squad should be strengthened and suggested that he is unlikely to make a move into the transfer market for two months at least.

“I'm just getting my feet under the table,” said the former Springboks assistant. “Monday was the first day I was with the team and involved in a training session. You learn each day, but it is still very, very early. I am not prejudging the situation at all. I will have a look and see and it will probably take a couple of months to get a clear picture.”

Solomons’ most recent position was as director of rugby at the Port Elizabeth-based Southern Kings. That backdrop had led many Edinburgh supporters to assume that he would look to South Africa to strengthen his squad, and his stated timescale would suggest that he might be waiting for players to become available at the end of the southern hemisphere seasons.

However, Edinburgh chief executive David Davies pointed out that it may not be so straightforward for the club to get the players it might want and that fans might have to wait until the end of the season for serious rebuilding to get underway.

“There will be efforts made to make sure we can attract players,” said Davies. “But at this stage, knowing that the season is only three weeks away, we are behind the eight ball. To say to anyone that they should expect signings would be leading them down the garden path. We will be working on it, but there are absolutely no guarantees.”

Solomons, a commercial litigation lawyer in South Africa before he became a full-time coach, spent three successful seasons at Ulster before moving to Northampton in 2004. His time with the East Midlands club was brief and unhappy, and he was ousted after eight straight defeats. However, he believes he is a wiser coach as a result.

“Most coaches, over a lengthy career, are going to have an occasion when things don't go right,” said Solomons. “What I learned from that, I suppose, is that it is important to do your due diligence before you come to any place to see that the environment is exactly what you think it is. There were lessons to be learned from it and I have absorbed those. But it is in the past and I don't think about it much.

“The important thing is to understand how an organisation operates and what the chain of command is. You need to get to know the people in that chain - to meet them and make enquiries about them and about the setup itself. I have certainly done that.”
Glory/poster boys like Dozer are in for a bit of a shock, I reckon

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:23 am

From the joke-paper that is the Hootsmon (possibly via the spoof Porridge):

Alan Solomons gets feet under table at Edinburgh

by DAVID BARNES

NEW Edinburgh Rugby head coach Alan Solomons met his squad for the first time on Monday morning, which means he will have less than three weeks to get them prepared for their opening league match of the season against Munster on Saturday 7 September.

But the South African insists he will not be pushed by the tight timescale into making any rash decisions about how to turn around the team’s fortunes.

After finishing third bottom of the RaboDirect PRO12 table last season with only seven wins from 22 outings, and having lost all six of their matches in a humiliating Heineken Cup campaign, the capital outfit are in desperate need of some positive energy at the start of the 2013-14 campaign.

The appointment of a coach with genuine international credentials should provide that but, if Edinburgh are to become serious contenders in both competitions, the new man in charge must dig deep into the heart of the club to get a real grip of what exactly has gone wrong.

He will probably have to make some fundamental changes to the personnel and culture of the squad. It is a massive task and 63-year-old Solomons has been around the block enough times to recognise that such root and branch transformation cannot be achieved on the hoof. It needs to be properly thought out and sensibly implemented.

“I’m just getting my feet under the table. Monday was the first day I was with the team and involved in a training session. You learn each day but it is still very, very early. I am not prejudging the situation at all. I will have a look and see, and it will probably take a couple of months to get a clear picture,” he said yesterday, at his first press conference since arriving at the club.

Solomons has pitched up in Scotland having barely had a chance to draw breath after guiding South African side the Southern Kings through their first campaign of Super Rugby. The season might have ended in disappointment for the Kings, with a play-off loss to the Lions on points difference condemning them to relegation from Super Rugby – but the Port Elizabeth outfit earned widespread respect for the way they stepped up to the challenge of being truly competitive at such a high level just three short years after their formation.

As director of rugby, Solomons deserves much credit for what the Kings managed to achieve – and he, in turn, speaks in glowing terms of the players who stepped up to the plate for him. Now that many of those players are facing a return to domestic rugby in South Africa, it would not be a huge surprise if he tried to tempt a few of his trusted old charges to follow him to Europe.

Edinburgh have already brought new faces into the fold this summer, but nobody with a proven track record. Towering twins Alex and Ben Toolis have come from club rugby in Australia, while Waratahs duo Ollie Atkins and Grayson Hart have had only very limited exposure to Super Rugby.

Asked if he had been given a recruitment budget, Solomons said: “I haven’t really had those discussions. I only just came in on Friday and I have been pretty much under the whip since then.”

However, David Davies, the club’s managing director, indicated that the new man had shown him at least a few names from his wishlist of possible signings. He said: “We have made calls at Alan’s suggestion in the last 24 hours, only to find the people are already contracted. That is the way of the world. The reality is that, at any single time, we might have four names we are interested in. Sport being what it is, the likelihood is that only one of those might be available to us at any given time.”

Glasgow added some real grunt to their pack and élan to their backline last year when they recruited Josh Strauss and Sean Maitland after the season had begun, and Edinburgh fans will be hoping that they get a similar sort of mid-season boost this time round.

But Davies added a few words of caution when he said: “To say to anyone that they should expect signings would be leading them down the garden path. We will be working on it, but there are absolutely no guarantees. I think that Strauss and Maitland were great signings for Glasgow but sport has taught me to expect disappointments, but to be ever hopeful.”

“There will be efforts made to make sure we can attract players, but, at this stage, knowing that the season is only three weeks away, we are behind the eight ball. The time that we both feel we can make a real contribution is for the season 2014-15. We are planning now for the season after next,” he added.

Of more immediate concern is getting a sufficient degree of understanding between coach and players in such a short time-scale and, to that end, Solomons believes that next week’s training camp at the high performance campus at Loughbrough University will be vital.

“It is an excellent opportunity because we will have time together as a team. I plan to sit down with each player and have a chat about general things as well as rugby,” he said.

“The other thing we will do is that we will have a bit of a workshop where we can set out our values for our team and the code of conduct by which we intend to live.

“It’s understandable that, if the team goes through a difficult run, then confidence seeps out of the squad. It becomes difficult for everybody. But the hallmark of a good team is the ability to bounce back.”

By the time the squad return from camp, Solomons is hopeful that his wife, Mary, will have found a home for them in or near the city. Unlike previous out-of-town coaches, who commuted back and forth each week, the South African is determined to immerse himself fully in his new role.

“You can’t do a job if you’re not living in the place. We will be staying in Edinburgh. Mary is out looking as we speak for suitable accommodation, although it’s not that easy around here – but I’m sure she will find something. It is very important to get to know the place,” he added.
Managing expectations down, or a realistic assessment of not to expect very much at all?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

Well he's definitely covering himself for a bad start, and indeed a bad season, by saying it is going to take time - which it will. Normally teams get a lift with a new coach so we may see some wins at the start of the season, but it is keeping that momentum that I think we'll struggle with.

In other news, my missus passed Simon Taylor on her way to work today. After recovering from almost crashing the car in excitement (she's a big fan to say the least) she informed me that he was cycling in the Murrayfield direction. Turns out she had been paying particular attention to his legs as she also informed me he was wearing Bath rugby shorts.

Suspect it is nothing, as he may just live in the area. You never know though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:52 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well he's definitely covering himself for a bad start, and indeed a bad season, by saying it is going to take time - which it will.  Normally teams get a lift with a new coach so we may see some wins at the start of the season, but it is keeping that momentum that I think we'll struggle with.

In other news, my missus passed Simon Taylor on her way to work today.  After recovering from almost crashing the car in excitement (she's a big fan to say the least) she informed me that he was cycling in the Murrayfield direction.  Turns out she had been paying particular attention to his legs as she also informed me he was wearing Bath rugby shorts.

Suspect it is nothing, as he may just live in the area.  You never know though!
Do we know what colour his boxers were too?! Whistle 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:58 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Well he's definitely covering himself for a bad start, and indeed a bad season, by saying it is going to take time - which it will.  Normally teams get a lift with a new coach so we may see some wins at the start of the season, but it is keeping that momentum that I think we'll struggle with.

In other news, my missus passed Simon Taylor on her way to work today.  After recovering from almost crashing the car in excitement (she's a big fan to say the least) she informed me that he was cycling in the Murrayfield direction.  Turns out she had been paying particular attention to his legs as she also informed me he was wearing Bath rugby shorts.

Suspect it is nothing, as he may just live in the area.  You never know though!
Do we know what colour his boxers were too?! Whistle 
Wouldn't surprise me. She did manage to restrain herself from stopping the car and getting out to give him a hug - her therapy has obviously been working.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:26 am

Simon Taylor - an unfortuante potential never fully realised

If he is of to edinburgh, would he do a job at 6 these days?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:47 am

Apparently he's back in Edinburgh to help run a business he's had on the side during his professional career.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:48 am

I've seen Taylor around Edinburgh quite a bit this summer. He was hanging around Muirfield for The Open and I've seen him out and about on his bike a couple of times (I also managed to restrain myself from giving him a hug).

Even if we don't sign him as a player, I'd quite like him to take the forwards for a couple of rucking practice sessions. I still remember him clattering into rucks at full pace with zero regard for his own (or any other players) safety. Hit first think later. A great player who brought much needed intensity to the Scotland side when he played. I think he'd be a handy signing for Edinburgh on a one year deal.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:03 am

Has Taylor got the pace to do a shift at 6 nowadays? Didn't Bath play him at lock to negate his loss of a yard or two of pace?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

He played mostly in the back row for Bath. Put it this way, if the choice is between Cox, VDW or Taylor at 6, I suspect Taylor's pace will be just fine!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

I'd play him at 6 as his ability to read a game would negate any loss of pace over the years!

plus burgh dont need a 2nd row. we need a 6!

all this being said, he may just be here on holiday!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:11 am

tigertattie wrote:I'd play him at 6 as his ability to read a game would negate any loss of pace over the years!

Wouldn't you ladies play McInally at 6 and Denton at 8 - Dozer ought to be challenging Beattie and Wilson for the Scotland 8 jersey, and to do that he seriously has to be playing no8 for his club; McInally has the skills to do the 8 job, but I think may be too short and would be interested to see how he would go on the blindside?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:12 am

I would have thought Edinburgh would have been an attractive move for Simon, on the basis that he fancied another year of pro rugby. One last year at your home club, a senior role within the team, not likely to start every game so the body will cope OK, and close to home so he can look after his businesses. I don’t think it will happen, but would be very well received by the fans.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:12 am

tigertattie wrote:I'd play him at 6 as his ability to read a game would negate any loss of pace over the years!

Wouldn't you ladies play McInally at 6 and Denton at 8 - Dozer ought to be challenging Beattie and Wilson for the Scotland 8 jersey, and to do that he seriously has to be playing no8 for his club; McInally has the skills to do the 8 job, but I think may be too short and would be interested to see how he would go on the blindside?
Yes, but on the basis that Denton is likely to be away with Scotland a lot we need more than one blindside!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:17 am

Heres a story for you scotts about a Kiwi kid whos hopeing to be playing in Scotland next year.

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/news/rugby-career-in-balance-after-drink-drive-charge/1983426/

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

drink driving rugby player?

We dont need version of Andy Powell! Run 

In seriousness though, the boy looks like he could come a cropper due to a silly mistake! It's not like he drove home pished (in a car or a golf cart) It was the following morning an unfortuantly he was pinged.

FYI, 250milligrams is really not very much.  He'd not have been charged had it happened in scotland! We don't have different rules for different ages!

Its a shame NZ are not part of the EU! He could have gone to the EU court of human rights and appealed that he was discriminated against due to his age! he'd have won that appeal!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:  Heres a story for you scotts about a Kiwi kid whos hopeing to be playing in Scotland next year.

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/news/rugby-career-in-balance-after-drink-drive-charge/1983426/
Thanks Laurie OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

I think Denton at 8 is a certainty, with McInally or Basilia at 6 (with the other on the bench). Rennie has the 7 jersey to himself, with Grant and Watson for cover.

As RDW says, it's when we lose Denton that we have a problem. I suspect that VDW will be used at 6 unless we sign anyone else, but I'm no fan of players being used out of position. In fact in truth neither McInally nor Basilia are really blindsides, both prefer number 8, but we've seen McInally play a fair bit at 6 and he's a decent option. No world beater, but he reads the game well and makes his tackles. His real strength is with ball in hand, he's a good footballer, but at 6 his options will be limited, with Denton doing more of the flash stuff.

Basilia is a player I'm interested in this season. Total nutter, and massively underused last season by the mildly cretinous Bradley. Basilia tackles hard and looks pretty fearless. I'd personally like to see him given an early and extended run at 6. I think he'd do a decent job.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm

I'm warming to Solomons already. I was pretty impressed by his first press conference

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

Me too, but whilst I completely agree with the message - change will take time - I do hope that he and his coaches can fix a few things pretty quickly.

Edinburgh made a hash of almost every restart last season, kicking their own restart too long and not competing, and fumbling the restart when receiving the ball, invariably coughing up easy points. This is one thing which I hope can be quickly fixed.

The other is the lineout. We were so inconsistent on our own lineout ball, and almost never stole opposition ball last season. Hopefully one of our dozen new locks can get to grips with the lineout, because it cost us possession and territory throughout last season.

The other issue is the driving maul. We used it well a couple of times last season, but we were terrible at defending it (even though we didn't compete at the lineout). We always let the opposition get set, and rarely slowed them down. The home defeat by Treviso was a horrible example of this. They figured out we couldn't defend it and then punished us over and over again by kicking to the corner and pinching the lineout. The good teams get the ball on the floor quickly by fair means or foul. We weren't cynical enough. Hopefully some South African nous can help us resolve these issues quickly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:40 pm

FES - you're forgetting about the other issues we have with passing, catching, running, tackling, kicking, determination, enthusiasm, confidence, passion...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:FES - you're forgetting about the other issues we have with passing, catching, running, tackling, kicking, determination, enthusiasm, confidence, passion...
 No no! Thats all been sorted!

Lee Jones held a masterclass on all of the above for the team!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:FES - you're forgetting about the other issues we have with passing, catching, running, tackling, kicking, determination, enthusiasm, confidence, passion...
 No no! Thats all been sorted!

Lee Jones held a masterclass on all of the above for the team!
A Lee Jones "Masterclass". Sounds like an event worthy of the Fringe.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:25 pm

There was actually a Rabbo Direct competition last year to get a masterclass from Lee Jones.

That's the one competition I didn't enter.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

I'd have thought for a young winger such as yourself a Lee Jones "masterclass" would be ideal, a real confidence booster knowing that he has an international cap depite not being very quick, elusive, strong and without any defensive sense whatsoever. You can't be that far away!

Thank God we now have Sean Maitland on the right wing!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:32 pm

Poor Lee Jones. It all started so well.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:36 pm

I’ve not given up completely on Lee Jones yet. To be fair to him, as we have seen in the 7s he is quick – probably one of the quickest in the squad over 30m When he learns how to catch, pass and tackle he’ll be a good solid winger!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:43 pm

The real difference is that when he won his first cap he was full of confidence and belief in his ability, stemming from strong performances in the 7's. I was delighted to see us use him because he can, despite my overly harsh comments, beat a man. He has good footwork, and good acceleration. Problem is confidence. Once Malzieu ran over him his confidence evaporated, and you could see last season that he had no belief in his abilities. A winger without confidence is pointless.

Compare to Visser and Hogg. I'm not sure you'll ever find two more optimistic and confident players. If Visser was even half the player he thinks he is, he'd be better than Mark Bennett. Similarly Hogg, who can't imagine a match scenario he can't score a try from.

Watching Lee Jones playing last season, he looked like a player who knew he was beaten before he received the ball. I'd suggest some more 7's action and then take it from there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The real difference is that when he won his first cap he was full of confidence and belief in his ability, stemming from strong performances in the 7's. I was delighted to see us use him because he can, despite my overly harsh comments, beat a man. He has good footwork, and good acceleration. Problem is confidence. Once Malzieu ran over him his confidence evaporated, and you could see last season that he had no belief in his abilities. A winger without confidence is pointless.

Compare to Visser and Hogg. I'm not sure you'll ever find two more optimistic and confident players. If Visser was even half the player he thinks he is, he'd be better than Mark Bennett. Similarly Hogg, who can't imagine a match scenario he can't score a try from.

Watching Lee Jones playing last season, he looked like a player who knew he was beaten before he received the ball. I'd suggest some more 7's action and then take it from there.
warning 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:53 pm

I thought it was funny...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:01 pm

There are some things you just can't joke about on here:

1. Mark Bennett
2. The prospects for the "Yes" campaign
3. ASBO's age
4. BOD being over the hill
5. Wales and Glasgow (rugby teams - obviously the places are fair game....)

Have I missed any?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The real difference is that when he won his first cap he was full of confidence and belief in his ability, stemming from strong performances in the 7's. I was delighted to see us use him because he can, despite my overly harsh comments, beat a man. He has good footwork, and good acceleration. Problem is confidence. Once Malzieu ran over him his confidence evaporated, and you could see last season that he had no belief in his abilities. A winger without confidence is pointless.

warning 
fES,
appreciate you may have had a white wine spritzer or 2 while at the poetry workshop during your luncheon break today but WTF is this all about ?mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:13 pm

Schiz, I personally find a white wine spritzer a little tart for poetry readings. Nothing quite beats a raspberry bellini (with an umbrella) to accompany poetry.

It's what us MFLs do....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:There are some things you just can't joke about on here:

1. Mark Bennett
2. The prospects for the "Yes" campaign
3. ASBO's age
4. BOD being over the hill
5. Wales and Glasgow (rugby teams - obviously the places are fair game....)

Have I missed any?
6. My profession

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:

warning 
fES,
appreciate you may have had a white wine spritzer or 2 while at the poetry workshop during your luncheon break today but WTF is this all about ?mad 
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Schiz, I personally find a white wine spritzer a little tart for poetry readings. Nothing quite beats a raspberry bellini (with an umbrella) to accompany poetry.

It's what us MFLs do....
Laugh

V good, you lads made I larf - the other boys on the road crew are wondering what the feic I'm giggling at - might be the end of our cuppa break

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Schiz, I personally find a white wine spritzer a little tart for poetry readings. Nothing quite beats a raspberry bellini (with an umbrella) to accompany poetry.

It's what us MFLs do....
Laugh

V good, you lads made I larf - the other boys on the road crew are wondering what the feic I'm giggling at - might be the end of our cuppa break
 Nonsense!

We all know you boys are on permanent coffee break!

Unless it's lean on the broom time!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2013, 6:57 pm

So....apparently Stuart mcinally I'd changing position, and is now going to be a hooker?!Shocked 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 14 Aug 2013, 7:04 pm

[thud][bang][bang][bang][bang][squelch]

That was the sound of me falling off my chair, rolling down the stairs, out the door and under the wheels of a milk float.

Crazy decision from McInally, yet one that makes a strange kind of sense.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Aug 2013, 7:12 pm

Odd one Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 14 Aug 2013, 7:21 pm

Very strange. Can't imagine it's the most suitable time for anyone in Edinburgh to turn their attentions to being a hooker, given the council's crackdown on saunas!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm

Very strange. Too many options at back row apparently

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:37 pm

I've discovered just how easy it is to read a book whilst watching wendyball. I'm amazed there aren't more readers among the wendyarmy.

Just take a glance up when Clive Tyldesley sounds like he's about to mess his trousers.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:So....apparently Stuart mcinally I'd changing position, and is now going to be a hooker?!Shocked 
Pretty sure the Edinburgh team will be training hard at their camp. I'm also pretty sure they'll be doing a bit of team building and inevitably drinking games.

Career/coaching decisions like this shouldn't be made in or just after a prolonged session in the boozer.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:04 pm

Radge,

are you aware the GSR 10k rout has been changed this year ?

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:11 pm

Well Ross Ford moved from back row to hooker with, initially at least, success. Admittedly, it has gone a bit knockers up since then but .....

RDW - where did you get this story from?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next