The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the old stars return for WM30?

+9
hodge
Ent
Samo
TheCultOfPersonality
Kid Vicious
MooChops
Mr Video Man
Dr Gregory House MD
Dolphin Ziggler
13 posters

Go down

Should the old stars return for WM30? Empty Should the old stars return for WM30?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

Goldberg has again suggested he is open to returning to wrestling, but has said he would like to play a heel. He also claimed the Ryback character was a complete Goldberg rip off, but that he holds no ill feeling towards Ryback himself.

Ryback with a face turn and Goldberg the heel (he'd surely get too many nostalgia cheers) in a Wrestlemania match up? Thats the idea many people have taken from this interview.

This in itself relates to something we discussed on the podcast. How many throwback matches and big name returns are acceptable for Wrestlemania 30? Where is the limit, would you take a whole card of Past v Present? A host of old rivalries returning?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Should the old stars return for WM30? Empty Re: Should the old stars return for WM30?

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm open to the idea of WWE bringing back a few older stars, but I want them to be really rigorous about the calibre of guys their bringing in as too many could be overkill,

At the moment I'm open to the idea that Brock, Taker, Rock and HHH will wrestle on the show, if guys like Austin, Goldberg and at a push the Warrior (mainly for the OMFG pop) were to return I could see them merit their place, but I really don't want a card of Jericho's, RVD's, NAO's and Nash's running rough shod over the current roster.

Though at the moment it's really hard to see how if the expected 4 do turn up and Austin makes his long rumoured appearance, how they all fit in with Punk and Cena and the other guys just below them.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Should the old stars return for WM30? Empty Re: Should the old stars return for WM30?

Post by Mr Video Man Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:47 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote: Nash's running rough shod over the current roster.

nash cant run he would tear his quad Wink
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MooChops Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

I know it could be thought of as more of a Survivor Series style match, but what if Vince and HHH (in their quest to control the company) each picked a team of past Superstars? Or would the egos make it go into meltdown?

Each could have a few spots to keep the speed up (and reduce the risk of someone tearing their quads, neck, hymen...), then just have it degenerate into one massive bun-fight Very Happy 

MooChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Hopefully you get my point though, I don't mind the idea of using a few real stars to give the show a special feel but they should avoid B-listers for the sake of it and give a few guys from the regular roster their chance to shine.

Also pacing is a real concern, I've heard Cena vs Taker, Punk vs Austin and Rock vs Brock all being talked about, top that off with that HHH will almost certainally wrestle that's 4 main event/semi main event matches that will probably need around 20 minutes each, WWE have famously had mania pacing issues, no more so this year when they cut a match, so they would have to be careful

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:00 pm

I'm with Dr G. If they're going to give a good chunk of air time to past stars, then they've got to be money. Former main-eventers. I wouldn't waste time on former mid-carders. If guys like Carlito, Morrison and MVP are sniffing, get em to sign a contract and come back full time. Likewise, former mid-carders from the Attitude or Golden Era that are no longer wrestling wouldn't get a look in.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:49 pm

Personally the list of guys I'd like back is very, very small, I'm not even too fussed about HHH and Rock though I can understand why they probably will be back,

My list is as follows

Brock
Taker
Austin
Goldberg
Warrior, if he's on good terms with WWE now, a skit where he runs down and gorilla presses 3MB before splashing Slater would be great
Sting, despite being awful people seem to be clamouring for him
Angle, though that's highly unlikely
Hogan, he has to be on this list though I'd be delighted never to see him in WWE ever again, and TNA for that matter

Anyone else would just be a waste of time, and I include Jericho and RVD in that

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCultOfPersonality Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:30 pm

I'd love to see the old guys return. It be good to see a PPV that features the old school vs the new school and could work well at Wrestlemania. Such as Goldberg or Batista vs Ryback, Austin vs Punk etc.

Also I don't think the current roster has enough credible stars to make Wrestlemania 30 the spectactular show it should be.

TheCultOfPersonality

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

The big problem with the old school vs the new guys is that it is difficult to build credible title feuds. 

I wouldnt mind a gimmick match where some older guys (but not too old) have to compete for a legends/part-time/full-time contract.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:10 pm

Wrestlemania 30 should be the biggest Mania ever. If that involves the old guys then so be it, if they can draw they can be on the card. I really like the good DR's idea with Warrior. Apart from that I'd keep the old/new divide as wide as possible.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:15 pm

I'd create a few feuds around te older stars returning.

Have one serious returnee aiming for the streak.

Have cena go against a returnee for the title but someone eg punk battle to make it a triple threat and go over 2 massive names and become a mega star.

Then have some sort of team match of old stars versus new stars, gained by the youngsters complaining about being upstaged etc, stipulation of guaranteed ppv appearances for winning or "you're fired" if you lose, have them go over.

The rest of the old timers can be commentary, back stage, promos etc

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:06 pm

I wouldn't mind old stars vs current in a 5 vs 5 match up.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:19 pm

For me the only thing WM30 needs is Cena v Taker and Austin v Punk as the big headlining matches. I prefer quality over quantity.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm

I can see Goldberg v Ryback happening with all the trash talk going on at the moment

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan Marsh Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:58 pm

A Gimmick Battle Royale would be a great dumping ground for a lot of the Nash-level stars of yesteryear - would be a good way to give Warrior a popular win without him having to do much either, saving the proper main event spots for those that can still go.

Stan Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:04 pm

I kinda liked the Legends vs Current theme idea which was discuss on the podcast if it was say 3 matches and they could even give it a team elements -

Team WWF vs Team WWE Best of 3 Series
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

As Vince is currently putting down the current crop of wrestlers it could even be incorporated into the Vince v HHH feud.
Have Vince bringing back old wrestlers to put HHH's current crop in their place. It also plays on the IWC assumption that any new good wrestler is a HHH Project, while any muscle bound throwback is Vince's!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down