The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Mon 26 Aug 2013, 11:55 am

Westwood is currently letting loose on twitter again if anyone is interested. He is slaggin man utd this time.

https://twitter.com/WestwoodLee
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Tue 27 Aug 2013, 8:47 am

I thought this was a pretty cool photo.

Badger and Cow:

A shame the tories don't like badgers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 27 Aug 2013, 8:59 am

McLaren wrote:Westwood is currently letting loose on twitter again if anyone is interested.  He is slaggin man utd this time.

Good grief - what drivel.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 27 Aug 2013, 11:00 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:
McLaren wrote:Westwood is currently letting loose on twitter again if anyone is interested.  He is slaggin man utd this time.

Good grief - what drivel.
Laugh Well, that's Twitter for you. Period.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 27 Aug 2013, 1:39 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Laugh Well, that's Twitter for you. Period.
It always confuses me when people write 'period' followed by a full stop.

The above essentially ends "full stop full stop full stop" thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 27 Aug 2013, 2:16 pm

unless it's the time of the month?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 27 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Laugh Well, that's Twitter for you. Period.
It always confuses me when people write 'period' followed by a full stop.

The above essentially ends "full stop full stop full stop" thumbsup
That's just so you know it's ended thumbsup.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 29 Aug 2013, 4:24 pm

Had an inter club committee vs committee BBFB matchplay game last Friday.

One of my opponents was at a funeral and couldn't make it (he must have known ahead of time surely?) but we had managed to subsitute one of our members in for him. The other was a young lad used to play at our place but mostly went out in a 2 ball with his dad a lot of the time when they both managed to shoot remarkably good scores, yet whenever (and it was not an insignificant number of times) they played with others the scores were regularly NR with no sign of the ability required to post anything like numbers that had been recorded while in the 2 ball...) Anyway this lad "missed the bus" apparently (moo poo) and couldn't make it either. Finally, the end of the bell I was supposed to play with from our club said he'd be there just after 4.30. Come 5pm (and the revelation he was playing at another club) he hadn't appeared so I simply went for a few holes with the sub, mainly to find and make my feelings known to our Captain and the Captain of our opponents.

All no-shows. I was furious. I'd arranged dispensation with the family to play that Friday to support our Captain/Committee and to have 3 thoroughly avoidable no-shows was disgraceful.

C words, the lot of em.

Got soaked while having a knock too!

Rant over and happy times returned...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:46 pm

I noticed driving home tonight that a new housing development on the outskirts of my home town was being built using house models Oakmont, Birkdale and Muirfield.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:42 pm

About time some bleeding heart started moaning about Bales transfer and the Nurses.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:56 pm

Love Gareth Bale as a player, but his style makes him injury prone, and then Spurs have wasted all the proceeds and then some on unproven Prem Players.

Meanwhile, Mata essentially a player without a club. Madness I tell you, Madness.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:57 pm

Bale seems like a decent guy. Not a complete spongal like Gerrard, Cole, Terry etc.

Thanks goodness he isn't English though. Can you imagine how over-hyped he'd be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 02 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm

He's Welsh. That says all that needs to be said

But also, with a transfer fee like that it puts him in the same category as Messi and Ronaldo - is he in that class? No he's not

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Sep 2013, 7:48 pm

He certainly isn't, however the only club willing to pay that sort of  money for any player are Real Madrid, and if they want to pay it, so be it.
Transfer fee records have never reflected where the player stands in the game, and say more about the finances of the club involved.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:03 pm

I heard a discussion on Talk Sport radio on the way home from work.

The suggestion was that if Ozil signs for Arsenal (and it still looks likely) would he be the only world class player left in the Premier league?

I laughed out loud when I heard it, but then I thought a bit more ... it's not that far off the truth

Who else in the PL could honestly make that claim? (FWIW I think Ozil is world class). I could only really thing of RVP as a contender ... a few others like Aguero and *perhaps* Suarez came to mind ... but then I started to struggle

Who else in the PL has a claim to being a world class player?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm

Well if you listen to Adrian Durham then Rooney. Laugh

I'm counting the minutes until Mac pipes up with Carrick, presumably after another handjob.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm

A year or two ago I would have said Joe Hart, but no more.
I'd rather have RVP and at least half a dozen more in my team than Ozil (from what little I've seen of him). Plus, Where will Ozil play? Sure to make at least one current international redundant.
Reckon Arsenal's best piece of work has been the return of Flamini - they never really replaced him. If he can be half as effective as he was when he left he'll be the snip of the year.

PS: Also a big Rooney fan here!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:33 pm

Not sure Rooney has EVER been truly world class Kwini - only in the eyes of the media

As a Gooner I was rather nonplussed at the return of Flamini - good squad player but nothing more IMO

Ozil is definitely class though - put him in midfield with Jack and Ramsey and you have a midfield to match any team. Rosicki and Arteta (when fit) will give great cover for when Jack gets kicked to pieces

I'm hoping this loan deal for Ba comes off as that is where we need a bit more strength though Giroud has really surprised me

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:39 pm

When was the last time a top top player joined the premier league? Aguero maybe..ozil maybe but he didn't want to leave Madrid is being forced out clearly. Bale fee is mental but looking at previous records 6m for gullit in 87 seems like lords at that time, fees must have been a few hundred grand at most.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:45 pm

Last top player to join the PL? Probably Hazard

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:45 pm

Looks like Ba won't be going to North London, or East London for that matter. Hope Mourinho gets stuck with him, then that'll be two unemployed strikers for them, plus Lukako if he doesn't leave.
And: Can't see Arteta accepting a seat on the bench.

Rooney is a Marmite player isn't he? He'd be the second man on the team sheet for my England Team (behind Baines of course), and his club record is terrific. But some will always hate him.

Regardless, when this evening's music stops, there'll be some players unhappy they've been moved, and plenty more p1ssed off they haven't moved on.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm

Hazard is good but when he joined he was at lille. Not a big player from a big club. Hazard was/is young as still more potential. The premier league can make players but when they are great they go. Look at cesc and ronaldo.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:17 am

So how come clubs like Real M can sign players for that ridicolous amount? As far as I know they are in huge debt? I also heard that the Spanish government is under EU scrutiny for illegal subsidy of RM (unfair tax advantages).

Özil would be a world class signing in the PL. Also a lot of big clubs were after Eriksen. He's still young but is seen as a huge talent.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:42 am

Might just have seen the last of Federer as a force in world tennis - his ranking could drop again after this week and it looks like we're further along now than the beginning of the end.
He looked a beaten man, in more ways than one.
And Mirka didn't look too thrilled either. No treats tonight, Rodge.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:07 am

Davie, I am never sure what people mean when they talk about "world class" but here is a list of players in the EPL that could play in any of the worlds top teams and improve them or make them no worse.

Rooney, Carrick, RVP, Vidic, evra, Yaya Toure, Lampard, Baines, Kagawa (if given a chance) and I am sure there are many more.

I don't understand the Ozil to Arsenal deal. If arsenal want to win something they should have spent the 50 million on players in positions they are weak in. Not adding another very good creative attacking midfield player.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 6:46 am

pedro wrote:So how come clubs like Real M can sign players for that ridicolous amount? As far as I know they are in huge debt? I also heard that the Spanish government is under EU scrutiny for illegal subsidy of RM (unfair tax advantages).

Özil would be a world class signing in the PL. Also a lot of big clubs were after Eriksen. He's still young but is seen as a huge talent.
Its crazy isn't it. RM operate in a very different way- like ferrari in F1 i suppose..

Its not just about the tax breaks they get illegally but also WE as net tax contributors to europe(british or germans) basically have paid for bale to go to real madrid!)

Govt owned banks just give them loan after loan(which never ever gets paid back)- These banks have been bailed out by europe!!!

Its ludicrous.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 03 Sep 2013, 7:53 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Might just have seen the last of Federer as a force in world tennis - his ranking could drop again after this week and it looks like we're further along now than the beginning of the end.
He looked a beaten man, in more ways than one.
And Mirka didn't look too thrilled either. No treats tonight, Rodge.
Probably a stroke of luck for Federer, she certainly isn't a looker.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:17 am

For once i agree with Mac that, whilst Ozil is a good player, the deal is odd. An attacking midfielder (Cazorla = thier best player) is probably the last place they needed to strengthen. They really do need another forward and so if they are prepared to pay £43m for Ozil and £200k a week or whatever it is, why not just pay the money for Higuain or Suarez? Strange. Wenger having a panic and appeasing the fans with a big name?

Mac, the agreeing ends there as Kagawa = world class is hilarious and could only come from a Man Utd fan!

When people talk about world class they always look at attackers. Vincent Kompany is genuinely world class
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:28 am

Is this signing odd. It is in the context of what we see Arsenal as being- A great attacking side with defensive frailties.

However when has Arsene cared about defensive signings.

He wanted rooney, Suarez and know ends up with Ozil!

When the last big money buy was made(Ashavin) we all said the same thing. Why have they bought another attacking player.

Well i think its time to just accept that is what Arsenal wants and that is his system.. He never ever gets swayed by public or media opinion. He wants arsenal to play a certain way and in a way I respect him for this.

Great signing. And its only going to be good for football. Who doesn't like seeing loads of goals- Over the recent two manu games anyway(that included liverpool and chelsea)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:30 am

McLaren wrote:Davie, I am never sure what people mean when they talk about "world class" but here is a list of players in the EPL that could play in any of the worlds top teams and improve them or make them no worse.

Rooney, Carrick, RVP, Vidic, evra, Yaya Toure, Lampard, Baines, Kagawa (if given a chance) and I am sure there are many more.

I don't understand the Ozil to Arsenal deal.  If arsenal want to win something they should have spent the 50 million on players in positions they are weak in.  Not adding another very good creative attacking midfield player.
All very subjective and why sport makes good disussion!

"Top" sides to me (very opinion based and not trying to offend) these days are Man United, Chelsea, Real, Barcelona, Bayern. Second Tier (and geneally either pushing or sliding) Dortmund, PSG, Juve, AC and Inter. Others from UK nearly second tier - Arsenal, possibly Liverpool coming back soon, City (mater of time with the cash and squad) and Spurs

Rooney - Very good in English football. Would do well in Germany but good enough for Bayern? Put him in Italy or Spain top 2 and I think he'd fail technically. Certainly woudn't get a game at Barcelona.
Carrick - I actually rate him and think he's better than his press, but any top side? No chance.
Van Persie - Agree
Evra - Was very good, isn't now.
Toure (Y) - Agree
Lampard - Possibly would have (prob not Barca though), not now.
Baines - Would like to see him move while at his peak. Possible.
Kagawa - not seen enough of him, but suspect the creative players at the other clubs are better.

I would add/suggest:

Suarez (hate him, but he is that good)
Aguero
Mata (although not getting into Chelsea's side I think he's brilliant but guess he fails the test as he already isn't getting into one team!)
Zabaleta would be close
Kompany

Oh and not a City fan!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:31 am

BTW I cannot believe Man u didnt at least have Zaha on the bench. That player is class.

They used young(not a winger), giggs(grandad) and Nani(not a great player) instead.

I truly feel for Zaha. Because this doesn't make any sense at all. Zaha only wants to play the game. If Man u kill this player I will never ever forgive them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:37 am

To be fair to Wenger regarding our perceptions of Arsenal - they did concede the 2nd least goals in the league last year.
So i can see why he thinks his defence is strong - i don't particularly, the keeper, Gibbs and Nutsucker are all poor - but i still would have thought a defensive CM and a FW would be preferable to an attacking midfielder

We shall see!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 9:47 am

Its all about possession MPB.

Look at barca..

Arsenal clearly looks at possession as the best method of defence. And he has that signing that will aid his team and will appease fans and will keep arsenal playing the brand of football he wants them to play.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:19 am

To me, "world class" means a player who would get into a world 22 man squad. So of Mac's list only RVP and Toure really make that criterion

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Yawn, think I've got a DVD of grass growing somewhere.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:24 am

Fair point Mysti
There are different ways of defending and if he thinks that's the best form of defence then fair enough. Doesn't change the fact that they don't concede many these days and so in theory (!) aren't too fragile at the back.
Looking at them player for player thought i have to admit i would have replaced a few.
It will be interesting to see how Ozil fits in with Cazorla (won't be dropped), Wilshire (won't be dropped), Walcott (won't be dropped)and Ramsey (who has had a flying start to the seaon). They don't all fit in as it is and that's without anyone who can tackle. Hmm

Davie, i would agree with your definition. So give me a better CB in the world than Kompany?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:25 am

super_realist wrote:Yawn, think I've got a DVD of grass growing somewhere.
You started the football talk Doh 
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:29 am

Yeah I'd probably conceded Kompany - it was Mac's list I was talking about

Poor Super has got a huff now as we have found a subject he isn't interested in .. now he knows how we feel when he dredges up the same old stuff over and over again

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:33 am

BTW arsenal had the top possesion stat last year at 58.2 %

2nd was man u with 58%

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:38 am

I thought football had gone mad 10 years ago but the fees and wages now are immoral. I read in a paper that Bale earns my hourly wage every 30 seconds.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:42 am

goldwolf wrote:I thought football had gone mad 10 years ago but the fees and wages now are immoral. I read in a paper that Bale earns my hourly wage every 30 seconds.
so he earns 120 times what you earn,

Thats not actually that bad..You earn ok- that must be 2.5k a week.

Think about the poor car washers and waitresses Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:47 am

Or Mac

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:47 am

I disagree it's immoral. People are paid what people are prepared to pay them. Supply and demand. Film and music "stars" are the same, it isn't comparable to Bob from Arbroath making smoked haddock.

I don't begrudge anyone who earns it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:50 am

I wish mystic, not sure how they calculated it. BTW have you paid for a car wash lately!!!

I don't begrudge them super, if someone I'd stupid enough to pay these amounts then good for them.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:51 am

Then how is it immoral?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:51 am

well bale is on 300k a week so we can all work it out based on that figure.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:53 am

goldwolf wrote:I wish mystic, not sure how they calculated it. BTW have you paid for a car wash lately!!!

I don't begrudge them super, if someone I'd stupid enough to pay these amounts then good for them.
In the case of RM players. there is a bigger case for us UK tax payers paying his wages over the clubs owners- That is my concern about real specifically..

Real are dodgy not stupid!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:01 am

Based on what though mystic, a 40 hour week or his actual hours or hours in a week, lots of differentials

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:06 am

£300,000 per week
37.5 hours per week.
£8000 per hour.
£133 per minute.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:11 am

Clearlyy not then super, more likely done on hours per week having looked at it.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next