The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:38 pm

mystiroakey wrote:It probably is quite grey that north up.

Oxford is a beautiful part of the world.(as is the whole of the south east)

Everytime I get off the tunnel in to Kent from France. The green rolling hills gets me everytime! Same when I am coming in from a plane to gatwick or Heathrow!
What about Croyden?? Run 
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:38 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:

Everytime I get off the tunnel in to Kent from France. The green rolling hills gets me everytime! Same when I am coming in from a plane to gatwick or Heathrow!
Sorry but the south east is a stinking overcrowded cesspool. Expensive, dirty, impolite people, overcrowded and smelly.

Yours,
a southener (emigrated north)
I assume you're not including the south-west in that statement? I'd have to take exception if you were boxing.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:39 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

Sorry but the south east is a stinking overcrowded cesspool. Expensive, dirty, impolite people, overcrowded and smelly.

Yours,
a southener (emigrated north)
I assume you're not including the south-west in that statement? I'd have to take exception if you were boxing.
The term south east should cover that one Shocked 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

Ah yes. Doh! I'll fetch my coat...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 16 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:

What about Croyden?? Run 
Croydon is fine. Yes- the surrey side. You would be surprised to note the amount of good golf courses and green areas..

The london side is the same as many ethnic parts of south london.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:51 pm

lorus59 wrote:Ireland won a gold medal at the World Athletics. A very rare event. Even if walking has to be one of the silliest sports out there. I am sure Super will have something to say about it. I doubt it will be complimentary.
Make that 3 gold medals, bo selecta!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:01 am

3 golds- nice!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 17 Aug 2013, 11:11 am

I wouldn't be surprised Mysti, I've spent a lot of time in Croydon. Golf courses in the surrounding areas yes, but Croydon itself… Yuck!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 1:26 pm

Croydon centre is a bit scary. My office is in south croydon and I own property which I rent. But croydon has a rep that isnt really correct. Go to peckham, catford, woolwich and even the worst of croydon is paradise.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

Lots and lots of money being spent on Croydon centre now, still a grotty place though, needs a few more decent bats where you don't have to worry about being glassed.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 1:34 pm

The bars in south croydon are fine. I havent ventured past the half and half for 5 years.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Aug 2013, 2:22 pm

I know a fair few people who work in the centre , would actually be a reasonable option for me as its about an hour on the train from me.
Problem is they all hate the place.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 2:28 pm

Nothing to like or hate really. Just like any other inner suburban town. But to its plus it does have great shopping which most don't

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Aug 2013, 2:42 pm

Not really , for instance Kingston very nice , Richmond very nice. In comparison to those places its pretty unpleasant.
But it's fairly cheap around the central areas, clearly the further south you get its more Surrey and there are some really nice parts.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

Think the actual towns around that area..
Bromley, sutton, dartford etc.

not the snobby west side.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm

Bromley is OK but yeah those others are grim. That's the point Im making, central Croydon is one of the grim suburban areas, as I've said there are nice or posh ones. So plenty to dislike compared to the nicer ones.
There is literally one pub in central Croydon Id have a drink in, even Sutton has a few more than that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm

Bromley is ok. And i live in the borough of bromley. But it hasn't got the same quality of bars/restaurants/shopping as its bigger brother Croydon. It also has its fair share of chavs.

Sutton is my pet hate.

Is all bar one the bar you are talking about?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:56 pm

Don't get me wrong, Im no fan of Sutton. Yeah the All Bar One is OK, at least if they haven't turned the volume up to max which they have a habit of doing.
To be honest Croydon is a last resort for a drink, normally Id stop at Clapham Junction. which is a way nicer place to spend an evening.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

100% agreed- I only drink in croydon because i work there(and don't go into the town centre). Clapham is my normal Night out!

PS: when i mean normal I mean once every 3 months!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm

Clapham and Wimbledon both really nice places for a drink. Kingston if you fancy spending more money than you should!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

kingston is not more expensive than clapham mate!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

It is every time I go there
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

I suppose it depends where you go.

I paid 30 quid for two Jack daniels and coke the other month in a small bar in clapham!! But then you can go to that o'neils and its pretty cheap.

I would say on average its more expensive in clapham though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Confession time.

I like this x factor advert. The long version just played. Yes I have truly lost any sense of Cool!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I suppose it depends where you go.

I paid 30 quid for two Jack daniels and coke the other month in a small bar in clapham!! But then you can go to that o'neils and its pretty cheap.

I would say on average its more expensive in clapham though

Ok Mysti if you say so!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:42 pm

Kingston isn't known to be expensive mate.

I have a few engineers that go out there every weekend- I don't go often but when I have I have never noticed the difference(my business partner also lives there and goes out there often- He is the type to always have ago about expensive bars). Its cheaper than central london or even clapham from my experience. But hey maybe you are right. I don't know..I am very sure its about where you are drinking as I have tried to explain to you

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

You can find a cheap pint anywhere , but usually it negates the point of being in a nicer area if the pubs a hole.
The decent bars in Kingston and Clapham are all the sort of price range.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:22 pm

I appreciate you trying to explain it to me, especially after having made a point of disagreeing, that its all about where you drink.

In my experience Kingston is a more expensive night out, and i tend to drink in similar types of places, as I've tried to explain to you.

Next subject?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

See the professional protestors are out in Sussex again. Hypocritical bell ends

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

I don't think i have ever protested anything, I applaud anyone that believes in something strong enough to make a stand. About what they are protesting about, i have not got a clue or understand. Fair play to them though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

beninho wrote:I don't think i have ever protested anything, I applaud anyone that believes in something strong enough to make a stand. About what they are protesting about, i have not got a clue or understand. Fair play to them though.
If you haven't got a clue why they are protesting, how can you say "fair play"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:02 pm

because they believe strongly enough in their convictions to protest something. Fair play to them for believing in something and making a stand. Good on them. I don't agree or disagree in what they are protesting about, because i do not understand enough about it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:04 pm

beninho wrote: I don't agree or disagree in what they are protesting about, because i do not understand enough about it.
Wouldn't stop some people round here...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:06 pm

beninho wrote:because they believe strongly enough in their convictions to protest something. Fair play to them for believing in something and making a stand. Good on them. I don't agree or disagree in what they are protesting about, because i do not understand enough about it.
So you'd support the EDL protests because they don't like the immigration policy?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:19 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:because they believe strongly enough in their convictions to protest something. Fair play to them for believing in something and making a stand. Good on them. I don't agree or disagree in what they are protesting about, because i do not understand enough about it.
So you'd support the EDL protests  because they don't like the immigration policy?
I admire anyone who has the courage of their convictions and gets off their backside to do something they believe in. Clearly that's the only thing I can find to commend in any EDL supporter.
I see local councils are now pushing for 10% of future revenues from fracking sites rather than 1%, to be honest if its going to happen we should as a nationalised industry or levy at least a 50% take on future revenues.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:23 pm

I would support any group to protest or demonstrate against something they feel strongly about. I do not agree with what people are demonstrating about, but I cannot see why they cannot protest or demonstrate.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

beninho wrote:I would support any group to protest or demonstrate against something they feel strongly about. I do not agree with what people are demonstrating about, but I cannot see why they cannot protest or demonstrate.
.....what about Civil disobedience and the obvious hypocritical aspect?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:42 pm

What is this obvious hypocrisy ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:45 pm

Primarily because they are all heavy users of oil and gas and secondly because they are protesting a site which isn't even being considered for hydraulic fracturing. They have just attached the fracking element to a completely unrelated site.
Like protesting Old Trafford to complain about Man City.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:52 pm

What nonsense Super, you've no idea how much oil or fuel they use individually. Barely warrants a response.
Also as far as I can tell Quadrilla are being very careful as to what they say will or wont happen on the site, lots of probably wont be developed etc etc but that quite frankly means nothing.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:55 pm

I don't but unless they live in a tree they all directly or indirectly use plenty.

It isn't a fracking site, it's an on shore oil like the ones in Dorset, why aren't they protesting there? You obviously don't read much about it otherwise you'd know how to spell Cuadrilla

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

Clearly the whole world uses it but you can do your best to use as little as possible. They didn't create the way the world uses fossil fuel so all they can do is avoid using it to the best of their abilities.
Why on earth should they just object against fracking ? There are very similar issues with the effects on the environment from on shore oil as well and protesting against a company like Quadrilla raises awareness. I'm sure the companies involved would like to go about their business as quietly as possible but that's just tough.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:09 pm

is Fracking new in the uk?

Assuming it is, then the fact people use oil/gas makes no difference. They do not want this new system to be used in the Uk, which they believe to have a detrimental impact on the surrounding areas. If a large company is sniffing round a site, it would seem that people have a valid cause for concern.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:24 pm

Fracking isn't new Beninho. As far as I can see it's mere nimbyism. Down the road there is far bigger operations, yet not a peep of protest there.

THey are happy to use oil and gas throughout their daily lives, however there is a lot of anti-establishment anti capitalist moron types who wear those Guy Fawkes mask who just turn up to protest at anything.

Peaceful protest, no problem, encouraged even. Civil disobedience and protesting for the sake of it. Get stuffed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Maybe they care about the environment..

Sorry to break it you buddy but people do care about other things than money...

There are people who are against HS2 who are bigger capitalists than you....Your problem is with their ideology and not with the protests themselves..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 6:37 pm

When have I ever said it was about money?

My beef with these scum is the element who don't behave lawfully and who are professionally protesting, regardless of the issues involved. Happy to know nothing about what they are protesting about and just up for a bit of civil disobedience and happy to consume fossil fuels just like the rest of us are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:16 pm

Of course what you are actually doing is judging every protester the same way, which is clearly a nonsense and takes any real relevance away from your argument.
You've already dismissed the protests of the local residents as nimbyism so lets have it your views are hardly objective which is not surprising as you work in the fossil fuel industry.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:19 pm

All the protesters are scum? But your main issue is with the ones that don't know what they are protesting about. Though no one knows whether that's the case. They are raising attention to an issue which a lot if people are against. If this gets things into the open and fully explained and the fact that areas will not be destroyed and there is more chance of damage to the environment then tears a good thing isn't it?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:31 pm

I didn't say that at all Ben. I specifically picked the scum-like "V for Vendetta" types who infiltrate many a normal, law abiding protest.
If you want to raise an issue about something, it's preferable that you do it actually at a site where what you are protesting against is happening.

Balcombe, is not a fracking site, so it's a bit childish to have a protest about something which doesn't even affect that town in that town as if it was imminent.

Yes, I work in the industry, but I haven't always, but I'm not naive enough to forget that almost 100% of our lifestyle is dependent on fossil fuel, and unless by some realism of science fiction, we're going to be reliant on it for a long time yet, so instead of thinking we are in the dawn of a industrial revolution in a Brunel-esque soot haze they might consider acting in a more approriate way.

If for example, I don't agree with the politics of a particular manufacturer, I can choose not to buy them.
However seeing as these people are so against oil and gas, why don't they just stop using it. Oh yeah. Thought so.
Hypocrites.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

It's an utterly pathetic and childlike argument. I don't agree with Tory policy. Should I therefore leave the country while the Conservatives are in power ? Of course not.
Its literally impossible to not be involved with fossil fuel somehow, you couldn't buy a cup of tea from a cafe or walk down a street. They all relate in so way to fossil fuel in their creation. Bit it doesn't mean people can't be against how its gathered and to what extent it's used.
You have no idea how these people may or may not strive to avoid them to the best of their abilities.
Honestly Super you should be better than this.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next