The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:32 am

Because the Mac and his habits thing is giving me the creeps, i'm going to back it up a few posts.

Trust me, soap stars are not the lowest rung of the acting ladder. I act for a lot of actors and the vast majority of them (the one's who have no regular gig) have a very tough life indeed. Not a profession i would choose in any way.

That said, I would do any job in the world that would attract Duffner's mrs!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:43 am

My ex girlfriend used to work at a city secretarial/admin recruitment agency- 90% of her temps where actors.. Yes they may call themselves actors - But they aren't Smile

I well agree that its a tough gig all over though. But many have chosen that life and have only ever appeared in a couple of adverts.

Personally i would put stage actors way above the quality of soap stars anyway. But yes they do work darn hard as well.. The part time ones getting tiny gigs here and there can call themselves actors- but are they?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:55 am

There are plenty of golf pros with rubbish jobs and low earnings, working all hours, just as there are actors. In any profession the top earners are the high profile faces people outside the profession recognise and often envy, but for every top golfer, footballer, actor or other entertainment professional, there are thousands scraping around for a living.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:57 am

yes but whats the top job at the top of the profession!

Its golf IMO..(woods is an anomaly)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:58 am

mystiroakey wrote:My ex girlfriend used to work at a city secretarial/admin recruitment agency- 90% of her temps where actors.. Yes they may call themselves actors - But they aren't Smile

I well agree that its a tough gig all over though. But many have chosen that life and have only ever appeared in a couple of adverts.

Personally i would put stage actors way above the quality of soap stars anyway. But yes they do work darn hard as well.. The part time ones getting tiny gigs here and there can call themselves actors- but are they?

Only in the same way that Mac claims to have a girlfriend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:17 am

They're 'resting' Mysti!! Laugh 
I would say if you have chosen to attempt a career in acting and you don't have another career on the go then you are an actor.
If you're a mechanic but you're business goes through tough times and you're struggling for work that doesn't mean you're not a mechanic anymore.
Yes it's a choice but any career is a choice. If we're talking about the best and worst then choice comes into all of them.
As SJ says, i suppose you get the same in any career. But i have seen a lot of people who genuinely want to be actors and are trying but are very hard up indeed. Not for me

I'd rather be a pro golfer than a footballer any day of the week. Much less chance of getting hurt for a start! ha
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:05 am

Well I remember my Gf stating that her temps that were 'actors' were the most freely available temps she had..

They never had any other work Smile.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:08 am

Ha fair enough
I suppose Michael Owen has called himself a 'footballer' for the last 5 years which is basically the same thing
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:09 am

Owen is supposed to be a very shrewd businessman and I am sure he would have seen himself as that over a footballer anyway.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:44 am

Indeed he is
Taking a lead from Fowler and McManaman who apparently still own half of Liverpool!

I think he'd prefer to be a jockey than anything!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 04 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

Michael Owen may be a shrewd business man but he was/is a rubbish gambler, didnt he lose loads on england duty?

Best job, would be bass player in a good band, you get to live the rock and roll lifestyle, usually you usually do not get involved in writing the lyrics or music apart from your bass lines, and then when it comes to the end you can go out in glory like John Entwhistle with hookers drugs in a hotel room!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 04 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm

Or like Sting you can just become a dick!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:18 am

anyone get caught up in this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23970047
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:24 am

No but I am about to go to a funeral(gfriends aunt) and my gfriend has family living on the god forsaken gypo island. They may be caught up in it as they are coming up to london for it!!!! either that or won't be able to come!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:26 am

McLaren wrote:anyone get caught up in this?

Good job you weren't there Mac, you might have got thrown out the front window of the bus.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm

super_realist wrote:

Good job you weren't there Mac, you might have got thrown out the front window of the bus.
Like a Tigeresque 3Wood stinger.  It's what he would have wanted.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:34 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Like a Tigeresque 3Wood stinger.  It's what he would have wanted.
Careered into the trees with a mouthful of wood. Definitely what Mac would want.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:21 pm

It's amazing how many drivers don't have their lights on, let alone fog lights, in thick fog. Driving to work on a country road at 6.45 this morning, not quite full daylight, thick patchy fog, and I lost count of the cars without lights on. Idiots.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

English drivers, or rather drivers used to driving in England are pretty awful at driving in inclement weather. Fog and snow in particular.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:41 pm

super_realist wrote:English drivers, or rather drivers used to driving in England are pretty awful at driving in inclement weather. Fog and snow in particular.
That's a pretty sweeping statement (as usual). I grew up in the North West of England and learned to drive in fog and snow. Never really saw any problems up there. Now living in the Thames Valley I see all sorts of drivers who haven't a clue. To include the whole country though is frankly stupid

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm

For English read Southerners.
An inch of snow is a catastrophic to the south.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

Would actually imagine the driving everywhere in one "inch of snow" is dodgy.
At least six inches is preferable as the morons who can't drive in the snow are often the same people who won't use a shovel to get out of their own driveway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:21 pm

goldwolf wrote:It's amazing how many drivers don't have their lights on, let alone fog lights, in thick fog. Driving to work on a country road at 6.45 this morning, not quite full daylight, thick patchy fog, and I lost count of the cars without lights on. Idiots.
Spoke to some people that live there today.. you couldn't see 10 foot in front of you. No light would have helped. but yes you should still have the fogs on.. the problem was the speed of the drivers. even with lights on you couldn't see a car that could in theory be very close- with or without lights- so if that one stops. Bang..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:22 pm

super_realist wrote:English drivers, or rather drivers used to driving in England are pretty awful at driving in inclement weather. Fog and snow in particular.

never heard so much rubbish in my life!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:38 pm

Most drivers in this country are terrible. I know I am. I undertake all the muppets in the wrong lanes and I drive too fast (where the limit is over 50) . I do put my headlights on when it's foggy, though, and the fog lights if it's thick and the road is not busy. I never put my fog lights on when it's raining, though, which some imbeciles seem to think is a good idea.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:45 pm

we may be terrible yet still the best in the world(based on road stats). strange that isn't it..

I drive a lot in france/belgium and holland and tbh even those are pretty decent on a global scale - english drivers are 10 fold better

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
never heard so much rubbish in my life!
As you live amongst it Oakey, I don't expect you to see it as such, too close to home and you don't get as much experience of bad weather, especially those in the SE, but if you drive around Scotland(or N England) in bad weather, of course you'll still get morons but in general people up here are more used to driving in bad weather and drive accordingly.

My company even put me through a winter driving training course, doubt that would happen in the SE.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:28 pm

when have you witnessed the bad driving down here?

what do you think people do in the south that is different?

I have never witnessed people speeding(or very rarely) in bad snow.

i have witnessed issues with traffic in snowy conditions-- this would be due to a lack of salt(our councils just do not have the stockpiles or equipment to spread it- northern areas do)

The worst scenario isn't a lot of snow but fresh snow going onto melted sludge.- if that melted sludge wasn't there then the problems wouldn't happen as much..

next point is the amount of traffic we have.. we have 10 times more traffic at least.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:40 pm

US TV showing Williams Doubles instead of the early exchanges of Andy Murray. Only in America. Furious!

Edit: Here they are! Only missed three or four games but infuriating when they do that.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:49 pm

frequently Oakey, unprepared for bad weather and inexperienced when driving in it, crucially not knowing when NOT to drive in it.

What I should probably have said is not that the SE English or those in SE England are bad drivers, but that you see some truly awful driving down there when the weather isn't good, partly due to volume of cars on the road, but partly due to real inexperience of bad weather too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:12 pm

Well I suppose it is natural when you are not used to it!

There is a lot of pressure down here to drive as well though. Its not always about not knowing when to drive its about saying can I afford not to!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:14 pm

Mysti - Super is right apart from his initial sweeping statement including all English drivers - which he corrected.

Drivers who only drive in urban conditions really haven't got a clue. Yes you can put some blame on the councils for not properly preparing for bad weather but even the best prepared councils get caught out by weather more extreme than is predicted.

It's not just about speed - it is awareness and control. Having grown up and learned to drive in more rural areas in the north of England there is nothing difficult about driving in bad conditions - you just know your limits.

A couple of years ago when there was bad conditions in the south I left work around normal time (many of the staff had left an hour or two earlier because they were worried about the conditions). I left "normal" time and took about an hour to get off the local trading estate as conditions were "bad". I could then see that my 7-8 mile journey home was going to take forever through the main roads so I took the back roads; the "locals" wouldn't dare to tackle country roads but I did - and though there were drifts a couple of foot deep on the side of the roads, and the roads themselves had perhaps 3 or 4 inches settling on the roads, I covered those 7 miles in about 15 minutes - slowing to 5-10 mph when it was bad and getting up to perhaps 25 mph on the easier stretches. Some people complained of taking 5 hours to get home that night because of the gridlocks and minor prangs. I got home in about 90 minutes - most of which was getting off the local industrial estate and getting onto the housing estate where I live

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:38 pm

I get what you are saying. But the below maths is a bit off isn't it!- you would have had to average 30 miles an hour to do that distance!

"I covered those 7 miles in about 15 minutes - slowing to 5-10 mph when it was bad and getting up to perhaps 25 mph on the easier stretches"

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:45 pm

I can see why you think that ... I wasn't precise enough in my wording. The total distance to/from work is about 7 miles ... take a couple of miles off that for getting off the industrial estate and getting to my house once I left the back roads - so perhaps 5.5 miles in 15 minutes (ok maybe it was closer to 20) - I think you get my drift if you pardon the unintended pun). So on the face of it that maybe averages out at somewhere like 17-18 mph which if you consider I could was only slowing to 5-10mph on the really bad parts which weren't that many ... well I give up .. you can work it out for yourself.

I really don't know why I'm bothering trying to justify a true story

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:47 pm

Yeah neither can I. I believe you in principle, just pointing out the maths!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm

That's very clever of you. I'm impressed Rolling Eyes 

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm

its not about being clever- it was just pretty inaccurate- you went into so much detail explaining an impossible situation

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 9:56 pm

Shockingly meek effort from Murray - very surprised. And disappointed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:02 pm

Mrs GrumpyGolfer not too impressed either Kwini having gone to watch him today. I think she was an unlucky omen; the unstoppable Bryan Brothers lost today in front of her too.

Thing is with Murray he has looked inconsistent all tournament and his second serve is there to be attacked. Very different to last year and this year's Wimbledon

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:14 pm

Have you had an eye-witness report yet, Grumps? Perhaps Mrs Grumps has a unique perspective on Murray's day - he never seemed to be at the proverbial races.

Went meself last Friday intending to see Murray but chose in the end to watch other matches. First time I've been; very impressed with the size and scope of the facility, if not the scheduling for the "show courts".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:23 pm

Not yet, I'm sure I'll hear all about it on the way home to PA. Very different atmosphere to Wimbledon but a great spectacle and entertainment normally.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:54 am

Here's a naughty one:
-What's the similarity between driving in thick fog and having a 69'er?
-In both cases the a**hole is just in front of you.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Sep 2013, 7:53 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Shockingly meek effort from Murray - very surprised. And disappointed.
He did play very poorly, certainly his first serve percentage, however Wawrinka played probably as well as he is capable of doing.

Always thought a post Wimbledon Ivanisevic type hangover might happen to Murray at the US Open. I expect he'll bounce back for the 02 and Australia.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Sep 2013, 12:09 pm

Hi s_r,
Yup, No energy from Murray, never moving well and the Stan that played the wondrematch with Djokovich certainly turned up again.

But hope Murray's hangover doesn't last as long as Ivanisevic's, which is surely still going on?

Believe Wawrinka is now #1 Swiss tennis player.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 06 Sep 2013, 5:23 pm

pedro wrote:Here's a naughty one:
-What's the similarity between driving in thick fog and having a 69'er?
-In both cases the a**hole is just in front of you.
Hmm, sorry. Doesn't really work does it? Surely, the a**hole is the driver themselves? Especially as the implication is they might hit the car in front.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 07 Sep 2013, 6:40 pm

Flippin' 'eck ... wot about the choice of venue for the 2020 Olympics then?  Bankrupt Madrid, radioactive Tokyo or 'on yer doorstep Al Quaeda' Istanbul?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 07 Sep 2013, 9:47 pm

Tokyo's miles and miles from Fukushima. Couldn't see any of the other two being remotely sensible for all that Istanbul is a truly great city. Madrid's bid hamstrung by Spanish economy etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 07 Sep 2013, 11:45 pm

Geal, it's 7 years from now...!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

Has poetic license died then?Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 08 Sep 2013, 5:44 pm

So everyone cheering on jackers for strictly?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next