The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 pm

On sky they have kids world golf. With an under 9s age group. These boys and girls should be enjoying being a kid playing in the park or whatever. But they are dressed up like little golfers in polo shirts and shorts and fist bumping with their obviously pushy parents. It seems wrong to me. One dad says his son is always practising. Well he shouldn't be at 8 years old.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Why not Ben? When I was a nipper, I started playing at about 8 or 9, we lived near a park and me and my mates were always playing golf down there, we had our own 9 hole course laid out on it and developed games for each hole where we dug a hole with our clubs.
I haven't seen the programme, but maybe they actually want to be out playing. You couldn't keep me away at that age and there was NO encouragement from my parents.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Yep I was the same. I used make holes in the field behind me and even in my garden!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I actually put my good short game down to that particular park. Some of my most fun golf moments there. Can still remember the layout now. If they hadn't banned playing golf in such places I'd be tempted to nip down for a game, perhaps next summer at 3am when it's light.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Same here. I used to chip non stop in the garden before I joined a club. And my short game was very decent

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Good times, Slazenger B51Xd's, Pinnacles, Commando's Dunlop 65i's etc, a Junior set of blades, plastic tees and no one telling you you couldn't play golf there. Those were the days.
Used to go down in the school holidays in the morning, go home for lunch and go back out again. Lack of permission these days might be a reason we don't produce the players we used to.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Your both talking about knocking around with mates. Which is what kids should be doing. You probably did more then just concentrate on your golf? You weren't off playing an event in Portugal against other kids in your middle age persons golf attire. Fist pumping after a good shot. How much pressure should you put on 8 year olds. Play the game for fun. But not to win at all costs.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Yep , I used to use my dads old blades or my mums. We had thousands of ancient balls..

I used to play after school- every day.

I used to hit balls over a neighbor's house in to this field!!! naughty- I only hit there roof once(well maybe a few more times!!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

That's true, although I was very competitive into the bargain, played in comps at my local club from about 11 upwards, probably an horrendous standard if I'm honest as you can't hit it far at that age.
Improved with help from my grandad, and I was so sad the day I beat him, I remember moving his ball closer on the last so I didn't beat him, but holed the putt and he missed.

Had a terrible rage and temper at that age though and used to go mental after a bad shot. Don't know what I expected when I was so rubbish. If I could teach kids one thing it's that nothing matters in the game.
The stakes in golf are so low, yet club golfers take it so seriously.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

JAS wrote:Di Canio sacked....right or wrong??
Wrong. He may come across as a bit of a psycho, but to get rid of him now is simply stupid. It's not like they didn't know what he was like before appointing him is it? Idiots. Hasn't the Wear/Tyne area got enough with the laughing stock that is Newcastle that they feel they need another club for everyone to have a good laugh at????
I really hope the owner didn't cave in to the fact the players were whingeing about him. The manager should be backed but, as usual, it's the players (as if they have a scooby) who have too much influence. Seems to me that all Di Canio was asking for was 100% (in reality instead of the lip service that players often profess) and to be professional. Shame they couldn't even do that. Pathetic.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:03 pm

The mention of plastic tees makes me wonder why I/others use wood tees when plastic last longer? I think I do because others do..does it make any difference?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I hated how stiff they were and how after a while they would bend and also in winter they were a nightmare to get in the ground.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:07 am

Only duffers use plastic tees.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:07 am

Surprised you emerged from hibernation after such a demolition of your Old Traffordites, Mac. Would have thought you'd keep your head down for another few days.
Plastic tees should be banned.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 am

Only fools use anything but plastic tees.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:25 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Only fools use anything but plastic tees.
Why?
I particularly dislike those plastic Castle tees. Ghastly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 am

Does the type matter? Is there any differential in ball flight in wood v plastic v brush?

Nudey lady tees off of the 80's anyone? Sure I've still got a couple of them from when I originally played back then.

I use long wooden ones. They seem to snap almost all the time but I got a thousand for a couple of quid a few years ago and still seem to have a thousand of the buggers in the bag they came in but would happily use plastic ones. Perhaps my ambivalence is atypical and I should just crawl back under my rock and let NBS and Mac fight it out!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 am

Kwini

Had limited internet access while travelling but made sure to check in and read your weekly article.

I hope it was nothing more than a very poor performance from Man Utd, no reason to think they won't hit a good run of form soon given the players they still have.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:57 am

Where were you Mac?
Is travelling just a pretentious word for being on holiday?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 pm

super_realist wrote:
Why?
Since everything except wooden tees are plastic, I guess I'm aiming at people who think wood is the only way to go. It's not. It's a waste of money and it makes no difference to where the ball goes.
Personally, I use bright pink Zero Friction tees. Not because I actually think they make any difference at all but because a) they're pink and I can see them easily to pick up after a tee shot, b) they don't (well, occasionally they do) break and c) they were on offer from Gamola Golf and were dead cheap at the time.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:...Nudey lady tees off of the 80's anyone? Sure I've still got a couple of them from when I originally played back then....
Laugh I remember them but, unfortunately, I don't have any lying around. Wonder what they'd fetch on eBay? Probably not a lot I guess.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 pm

I stopped using plastic tees when one damaged my 3 iron. Prefer to use wooden tees that snap.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

goldwolf wrote:I stopped using plastic tees when one damaged my 3 iron. Prefer to use wooden tees that snap.
Shocked 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Smile

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Why?
Since everything except wooden tees are plastic, I guess I'm aiming at people who think wood is the only way to go. It's not. It's a waste of money and it makes no difference to where the ball goes.
Personally, I use bright pink Zero Friction tees. Not because I actually think they make any difference at all but because a) they're pink and I can see them easily to pick up after a tee shot, b) they don't (well, occasionally they do) break and c) they were on offer from Gamola Golf and were dead cheap at the time.
I don't think too many people are that tight that they'd feel a need to scrimp on tees.
It's always funny when you see people searching around for tees on the tee box, it's a tee for goodness sake, move on tightwad.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 pm

goldwolf wrote:I stopped using plastic tees when one damaged my 3 iron. Prefer to use wooden tees that snap.
Headscratch That's some clubhead speed there that man!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:30 pm

I think it was just solid ground and there was no movement, whereas a wooden tee would have snapped, got a nice little stone chip type knick.....and no it wasn't a stone, never had a problem since.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

There used to be a bloke at my previous club who would insist on hunting around the tee after his shot picking up tee-pegs. "Never bought a tee in 30 years", would be his proud boast. A bloody pathetic claim to make I used to think!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 pm

My dad gave me a bag of tees a while back after he gave the game up. I didn't really want or need them but had to chuckle when I spotted a couple of the naked lady ones in there.

Talking of tees, what handicap do you have to get down to before you realise what a berk you look squatting and trying to push the tee in on its own and then balancing the ball on top of it, and start bending down with the ball already in place and push the tee in that way? I reckon it's about 24.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:03 pm

That's a very good point Smithers, Always find it funny when you see someone almost down on their knees trying to put the tee in.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Talking of tees, what handicap do you have to get down to before you realise what a berk you look squatting and trying to push the tee in on its own and then balancing the ball on top of it, and start bending down with the ball already in place and push the tee in that way? I reckon it's about 24.
Ha ha ha, excellent and so true! clap Laugh
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:15 pm

I like to lay my club down nearby and squat as if taking a dump when teein up my ball. If caught early on a Sunday there is, of course, the risk of a shart. However this is compensated by the fact that I know that my ball is correctly positioned.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I once found a tee on a tee box that had been repaired with electrician's tape. No kidding

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm

My dad's a bit of a tee tightwad. Always extracting tees from the tee box with his pitchmark repairer.
I always take the urine that he's saved a penny there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Davie wrote:I once found a tee on a tee box that had been repaired with electrician's tape. No kidding
Maybe 'el Mecanico' had been around..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 am

I played with a guy once who had a nut on the end of a piece of string attached to his plastic tee so that it wouldn't fly off when he hit his is shot.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:47 am

McLaren wrote:I played with a guy once who had a nut on the end of a piece of string attached to his plastic tee so that it wouldn't fly off when he hit his is shot.
Ha ha. That's hilarious. You do see people with strings and bits of rubber on it.
How poor would you have to be to care about the loss of a tee?
I blame the tories and the Daily Mail for the squeeze on golfers pockets.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 am

Just listening to the hapless Milliband on 5 Live. What a numpty. Flapping and stuttering under pressure from very easy questions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 am

Bloody hell! - Do they still make 3 irons? Whistle

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 am

Anyone watch the Gazza programme on ITV? fairly shocking what drink has done to him, he's 46 but looks about 70
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 am

super_realist wrote:Just listening to the hapless Milliband on 5 Live. What a numpty. Flapping and stuttering under pressure from very easy questions.
Thought he was terrible, with his gormless seals clapping at his poor jokes (which were just insults). I really think these guys sit down and think "now what do the public want to hear" without actually researching their proposals.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 am

I reckon he's a good bet for the death lottery. Don't expect to see him make 50.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone watch the Gazza programme on ITV? fairly shocking what drink has done to him, he's 46 but looks about 70
Yeah, really bad, lets hope he can stay off the drink this time. He seemed a lot better in his head though.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:21 am

super_realist wrote:I reckon he's a good bet for the death lottery. Don't expect to see him make 50.
Milliband?
You can't go around making threats like that warning 
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
super_realist wrote:I reckon he's a good bet for the death lottery. Don't expect to see him make 50.
Milliband?
You can't go around making threats like that warning 
Ha ha, Gazza, although I don't think many would be too sad to see the back of Milliband

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am

Would much rather see Milliband go than Gazza, can't stand the chap

As for Gazza, what a mess. Funny how so many of the truly talented footballers have 'demons'
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:Would much rather see Milliband go than Gazza, can't stand the chap

As for Gazza, what a mess. Funny how so many of the truly talented footballers have 'demons'
Fine line between madness and genius they say.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:58 am

Who else is there in that bracket of tormented sporting genius with the penchant for self destruction do you think?

Best
Gascoigne
Maradona

stand out for football to me. Had other high profiles such as Tony Adams and Paul Merson but didn't quite fit with the genius aspect to me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:20 am

incontinentia wrote:Anyone watch the Gazza programme on ITV? fairly shocking what drink has done to him, he's 46 but looks about 70
Fingers crossed for him.. His kids look pretty well adjusted so its not all bad.

And his whole family love him even though he beat his wife up. There is a lot of good in Paul Gascoigne.. He just has so many demons..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 am

There do seem to be more footballers than other types of sports. Agreed re Merson and Adams. Good players but not geniuses.

Looking at other sports -

Tiger Woods
Mike Tyson
OJ Simpson
Mayweather
John Daly

Does Dennis Bergkamp's fear of flying count as a demon?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next