The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:44 am

Ben, I don't care if someone takes offence or not. Being diplomatic and ultra polite makes forums boring.

I can understand that some things may be offensive (not necessarily by me) but taking offence at being referred to as a tatty muncher seems very much an over-reaction as there is nothing but the most tenuous link to something which dates back 300 years. Would an Australian start crying foul if they were referred to as a convict? No.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:53 am

"He who takes offence when no offence is intended is a fool, and he who takes offence when offence is intended is a greater fool"
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:56 am

Sounds biblical dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 9:58 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:"He who takes offence when no offence is intended is a fool, and he who takes offence when offence is intended is a greater fool"
Or in short, you're an idiot to be offended.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:01 am

Realistically everyone takes offence at something dude.. But then realistically everyone is an idiot(or can be) and most get over it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:02 am

Well, err....... Yes

According to Brigham Young anyway (rather than the Bible!)
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:04 am

Yes that religious nut job. He will see offence as a sin dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:10 am

Anyone think that Guardian Journo partner got away lightly?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:11 am

He was a religious nutjob, that much is true!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:15 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:He was a religious nutjob, that much is true!
Is there any other type?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

This guy was a militant cult leader dude.

he wanted people to call him moses Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

This guy was a Mormon which has to be the worst type!!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:35 am

Mysti correct, The Mormon Moses!! Ha
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

It seems pretty wrong that the police or whoever can stop and hold someone for 9 hours without any proof. I have not read the ins and outs, i have seen though that the guardian have been reporting stuff that the government do not like, it seems a way of threatening a newspaper whos job it is to report what is happening behind closed doors in the interest of people. I blame the Tories.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:43 am

Seems like there may have been reasonable suspicion he was carrying state secrets.
Also sounds like this guys main beef was that his Facebook and photo's were compromised.

Storm in a tea cup? Sounds like it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:43 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:"He who takes offence when no offence is intended is a fool, and he who takes offence when offence is intended is a greater fool"
That's silly. Offence isn't something you can turn on and off like a light switch. If you have a big nose and someone makes fun of it and humiliates you in front of other people can you choose not to be offended? Of course not, its a natural response.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:45 am

incontinentia wrote:
That's silly. Offence isn't something you can turn on and off like a light switch. If you have a big nose and someone makes fun of it and humiliates you in front of other people can you choose not to be offended? Of course not, its a natural response.
You'd have to be very thick skinned or a moron, as demonstrated on this site.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:46 am

Yeah thats just some religious turn your cheek nonsense to be honest. Everyone takes offence. We are only human..Its how you deal with your feelings that makes you! You cant stop them..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

McLaren wrote:

Incon is clearly a moron, based on the views he posts on here, which seem deep rooted in the bible, but that does not give anyone the right to post derogatory generalizations about the Irish.
You are by far the biggest moron here. Its like you flip a coin to decide what offends you and what doesnt. And your twitter page sucks.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

Icon you are certainly no moron. Mac has to lash out sometimes , it makes him feel big.. It only shows himself up.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

Offence is not something I can ever say I am, I can be disgusted about something, but no one can ever say anything I find offensive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

You have clearly been blessed with the wisdom of jesus SR. You are the chosen.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm

Oakey, I'm deeply offended you compare me to a fictitious, make believe charlatan from history.

How dare you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm

That was the plan SR.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm

super_realist wrote:Offence is not something I can ever say I am, I can be disgusted about something, but no one can ever say anything I find offensive.
I find that hard to believe, but if true its related to a lack of pride. I'm sure if someone made disparaging comments about a close friend or family member you would take offence?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:34 pm

Why would I Inco, it would be your opinion, in all likelihood, it wouldn't be true, so what would there to be offended about?, and if you did say something about them which was negative, but also true, what would I have to complain about?
Your or my words have no weight, so why would anyone get offended by anything we say?

Why would how offended you are be related to pride, or lack of?
If you or I are proud of something, we should be proud enough not to care what anyone else thought or said about it.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Offence is not something I can ever say I am, I can be disgusted about something, but no one can ever say anything I find offensive.
I find that hard to believe, but if true its related to a lack of pride. I'm sure if someone made disparaging comments about a close friend or family member you would take offence?
Lack of pride in a jock? Usually the other way round shurely?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

super_realist wrote:Why would I Inco, it would be your opinion, in all likelihood, it wouldn't be true, so what would there to be offended about?, and if you did say something about them which was negative, but also true, what would I have to complain about?
Your or my words have no weight, so why would anyone get offended by anything we say?
Sticks and stones dude.

You love the biblical messages don't you!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:40 pm

Never been proud to be Scottish, why would I be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm

super_realist wrote:Never been proud to be Scottish, why would I be?
I quite agree
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:50 pm

I have to admit I am getting tired of SR's sermon today. Yes I understand there are no real boundaries and we are all the same and we are all gods people and we should always turn the other cheek. I get it. Now can we talk about something else please!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 12:51 pm

Very good Oakey Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm

incontinentia wrote:
What a strange thing to say. Of course it's not a natural response. It is a reaction you choose to take based something someone else says or does compared to your opinion/views.
Offence doesn't just happen to you, hence the term 'to take offence'. You choose to take it or you don't
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:09 pm

super, why did I then see you at the Pride festival?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:40 pm

Offence is definately not something I choose or have control of.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

So Inco you're saying its like a reflex, nothing you can do about it?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:02 pm

incontinentia wrote:Offence is definately not something I choose or have control of.
Of course it is. You just need to think rationally, not something religious people are great at I know. Run

If you are "offended" enough by the common, harmless "luck of the irish" term, then really, isn't it you with the sensitivity problem?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:21 pm

I don't know where this "luck of the Irish" came from. I am Irish and I am so unlucky, if I was one of Jessica Alba's triplets, I'd be the one on the bottle.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:28 pm

Inco, the point I am trying to make is, in my view, taking offence is a choice which you have control over. There is a thought process and part of that process is the decision to be offended.

If you are saying that is not so, it is a reflex over which you have no control, then you have to admit sometimes you were silly to react that way but you did so by reflex. A bit like when a wasp flies in my face I sometimes react like a crazy person, and then afterwards I know that I looked a bit silly and that it was a complete overreaction, but I couldn’t help it as it was a reflex.
If this is what you are saying happens to you then fine, but you must then accept that some of those taking offence reflexes are overreactions which with hindsight later appear silly. This would make some sense as to why you seem to be rather sensitive.

What you cannot say is that your offence taking is correct in it’s reasoning because you have thought it all through etc, but at the same time you have no ability to choose whether to be offended because it is a reaction over which you have no control. It can’t be both
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 4:39 pm

Indeed. Break down the things you are "offended" by and they all look rather silly. Just as silly as it would be to be offended by the things you aren't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 21 Aug 2013, 6:55 pm

Noone takes offense but anything silly. As to them it's not silly. It may seem silly to someone who causes offense but each to their own. No-one can tell people what they should or shouldn't be offended by. Some people let things wash over them and take whatever is said. Some people are more emotional so don't. Of course things are offensive to sky nothing is, that's nonsense. It's an each to their own situation.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:05 pm

If Inco can give me a good reason why his reaction to the term "luck of the irish" is anything but an over the top response to a throwaway statement then good, however thus far he has failed to provide a  convincing enough argument reason to be offended at the term "tatty muncher" which if he happened to be 300 year old who had lived through a famine might be reason enough to be mildly irked. However, all it seems like it is is that he can't take even the slightest bit of fun being poked at his own country.
It doesn't necessarily make him offended, perhaps a little insecure and inferior (meant in the nicest possible way Inco Hug )

Anyway, all this talk of offence, faux offence etc has probably offended the rule of this thread long enough.

Time to change the subject.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:22 pm

Luck of the Irish is a hard one to defend.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:39 pm

Harrington had just hit the shot of his life and Alliss writes it off as "luck of the Irish", what a stupid thing to say. Lawrence Donegan agrees with me.

From his golf blog: "Incidentally, I know the point of this post is to gasp at the brilliance of the shot but it is hard to ignore Peter Alliss droning on in the background about "the luck of the Irish" and how Harrington had been "off line a few times today". (He was playing in a gale, for God's sake!). It is also hard to listen to such ill-informed, cliched tosh and not long for the day that so-called "voice of golf" is replace by someone fresher and funnier. Andrew Cotter, the energetic young pup of the BBC's golf team, would be an excellent choice."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/lawrence-donegan-golf-blog/2009/jul/10/golf-padraig-harrington
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:44 pm

Forchristssake.

Really, you really find that offensive?
Is it the reference to the Irish, or the fact that it suggests Harrington isn't good enough and required luck to play it?

I would have loved to have been in the BBC Complaints Department when they crunched that letter up and threw it in the bin, wondering how someone could be so petty and insecure as to complain about a standard phrase which has become a figure of speech.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:47 pm

A "Shot of your life" - or "a good shot but with a bit of luck" .. who knows?

I'd say a shot like that, though a sign of great talent, would only come of once or twice in ten? So a stroke of luck too ... and he IS Irish isn't he? Would you have written in to complain if he hadn't made the shot and Alliss said it was poor? I don't think so (or if you would you're even more inexplicable)

Alliss is a tw@t BTW

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm

Barry Took will have seem some rotten letters in his time, but that one was probably framed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:54 pm

Not offensive but very irritating. And it was a phone call not a letter. The letter was about Mark James' crass comment about the Troubles, which was offensive.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Aug 2013, 7:56 pm

A letter AND a phone call. Good grief Inco, ever thought you might need a new hobby to fill in all that spare time you demonstrably have?

Sounds like it's no worse than a Scotsman's efforts described as being "brave" or a German executing a shot with "teutonic efficiency"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next