The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
shclaff
barragan
gaelgowfer
goldwolf
ryan86
Roller_Coaster
SmithersJones
TRUSSMAN66
1GrumpyGolfer
Bob_the_Job
hend085
pedro
lorus59
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
JAS
Davie
super_realist
MontysMerkin
beninho
Diggers
kwinigolfer
incontinentia
McLaren
mystiroakey
puligny
dynamark
32 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sun 11 Aug 2013, 8:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi folks not been around much lately due to new job and no access at work.
Digs I would avoid franchises and any long term property commitments connected to the business.
I very nearly bought into a coffee shop /café a few years ago and in the end it was the hours and time involved which put me off but the lad who bought it is flying .He will be open this morning and doing good business.Anything like that is all about position of course.One of the best businesses I have seen is a café bar in Bristol on the hill up to the Clifton area .opens at seven in the morning and closes at two in the morning.Change of menu and prices late afternoon and lighting /music for the evening trade.
Seen a few things in my new job with a large housing association providing social housing for the unwashed,unemployed,unfit,mentally ill,etc.One surprise is that they have properties and areas where only set religious groups are allowed to live.They call it 'creating communities'?
Hope all are well.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:36 pm

Reassuring news from those in favour of guns-for-everyone in America:
In Iowa, the blind are allowed to own a weapon.
In Arkansas, a police SWAT team killed a 107-y-o man with a gun.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:38 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
In Arkansas, a police SWAT team killed a 107-y-o man with a gun.
And there's your argument for allowing assault weapons: discrimination! If the guy wasn't too old to reload quickly he could have come out on top.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Reassuring news from those in favour of guns-for-everyone in America:
In Iowa, the blind are allowed to own a weapon.
picard picard
kwinigolfer wrote:In Arkansas, a police SWAT team killed a 107-y-o man with a gun.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

The 1st round of the Evian Championship washed out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/24067227

Seems a bit ironic...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Sep 2013, 2:52 pm

Diggers and Mac AWOL lately.

Fretting about Milliband?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:25 pm

Doubt it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:21 pm

Re Evian: Nice one nbs,
You'd think they're also sponsoring the web.commer and Canadian Tour Finale - suspensions of play everywhere.

Digs hasn't been on the air for weeks, but imagine Mac is just waiting for some play from Conway Farms this week to deliver a Doak-ish Report.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Sep 2013, 6:34 pm

Mac might be over there trying to get a hand job off Adam Scott. (not gay of course)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421789/Morrisons-sold-cheese-onion-pasty-meat-Muslim-family-mistake--offered-ALCOHOL-apology.html

Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:20 pm

super,
I'm shocked it has come this far. I guess a fatwa has now been issued on Morrisons.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 6:52 pm

pedro wrote:super,
I'm shocked it has come this far. I guess a fatwa has now been issued on Morrisons.
I can't believe they bothered to even phone up Morrisons about it. I wouldn't have even offered them any wine in compensation and they've got a brass neck expecting to be treated differently simply because the supermarket was supposed to know the minutae of their stupid beliefs, it's just a simple error in labelling and deserves nothing more than a refund of their 19p and an apology.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

My mom was horrified to find a live toad in a supermarket bought bag of tatties last week. Dad, the biology teacher, on the other hand was delighted and it has since starred in a couple of his lessons. A happy customer against all the odds.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:17 pm

That will be a long walk for the poor Bar Steward to find his home pond next spring Barra.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:27 pm

Since when did cheese and onion pasties contain meat anyway? Halal or non-Halal

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:35 pm

It was labelled incorrectly, they were supposed to be Cheese and Onion but the supermarket had mislabelled a meat pie in the bargain section and the penny pinching fairytale living halfwits spat their dummies out of their pram when they realised it contained meat and spied a story and possibly compensation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:49 pm

Where's mac? HE really must be offended by the capitalist pigs Morrisons exploiding poor immigrants.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm

He's not been around for a couple of weeks. Probably at some rally or something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:06 pm

His last post was a week ago. He last logged in yesterday. Someone must've upset him - either that or Tiger's latest back spasms have curtailed his front spasms

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:20 pm

or maybe he realised that a hand job from Adam Scott implies anchoring technique. Or long putters.

Last edited by pedro on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Sep 2013, 8:20 pm

Anyone hear the Five Live debate on Scottish Independence today?

What a horrible bunch of morons the "Yes" camp are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:37 am

I love it. Sell a strict muslem a non halel pie labelled cheese and onion. Then offer a bottle if fizz as an apology . That's made my morning. Smile Very Happy 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:54 am

Morrisons should be rewarded. Bowing to make believe ridiculous stories would be a lot worse. THese morons were clearly looking for a reaction to an honest mistake.
Good for Morrisons

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:56 am

Yep Morrisons gets my vote on this one!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:04 am

Indeed Oakey, such people don't require special treatment and certainly no respect so I applaud Morrisons for their reaction to this stupid and overblown incident.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:23 am

I might give Mr morrison my custom on my next shopping trip over this!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

Sorry. I disagree. While the reaction to the offer of some alcoholic pop is way OTT, it's pretty damned thick of Morrisons to make that offer...especially given the original complaint re. the pie.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

Who cares? Their silly fairytale beliefs don't require special treatment or tip-toeing tact.

They were lucky to be offered a bottle of wine. A refund of 19p and an apology would have sufficed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:39 pm

I just think its hilarious. That someone would offer alcohol. I kind of hope it was actually an ironic joke!

The original issue was clearly just a mistake by someone on minimum wage. And they need to get over it!

I bought some milk and meat the other day that went off 4 days before the best by date. That is worse- but I would only expect a refund (if I could have been bothered to take it back!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Wed 18 Sep 2013, 1:44 pm

Agree with super, the mistake was made and a good will gesture offered, the fact that it wasn't appropriate isn't Morrison's fault, it's up to the customer to make that decision. I'm also getting a bit tired off the need to tip toe around people's beliefs. We have a custom built room in our warehouse especially for some to carry out their religious beliefs. I don't participate in that but said I'd happily take the same amount of time as a rest break, no prizes for guessing the answer I got, incredible.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:03 pm

GW - time to create your own belief system and rituals that "mean a lot to you". When you get the same answer from work next time, point out they are being "wolfist" or something and take them to task.

You may scoff, but it seems that that's the way society is going unfortunately.

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as "fairytale" beliefs (as one needs to have fairies for them to have tales!), to me SR's sentiment is right in a straightforward retail instance such as this. Something went wrong, offer an apology and financial restitution to the value of the goods and no more. I believe that it is an absolute value in this instance (whether it was 19p or not I don't know). I assume that the complaint that was made at the time indicated their religious beliefs so an offer of alcohol is patently wrong (and IMO stupid) aside from the fact the additional "compensation" shouldn't be necessary.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 2:14 pm

Exactly, it's not the supermarkets problem whether you have a work of fiction telling you how to live your life (sounds like a dictatorship to me)
They actually went beyond the call of duty with a bottle of wine as compo. It's not up to them to know the in's and out of a stupid pointless religion especially as so many followers of all religions frequently transgress the official rules when it suits them. It's no different than if a reformed alcoholic brought back the wrongly labelled pie and was offered the vino.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 18 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

So what if an employer gives all employees in a company Christmas presents: a box of choc and a bottle of wine. Nice tradition. Would muslims get offended by a) simply having christmas gifts, b) getting wine?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm

I get a hamper from my employees containing booze. Mind you, it's a fairly scientific company, so no room for idiots who believe nonsense.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:48 pm

There's been a vigorous op-ed debate in our (lamentable) local paper, otherwise known as the Burlington Free Press, triggered by a Rabbi complaining that the National Football League scheduled a game on Rosh Hashanah.
The latest riposte contends that Jews comprise "about 2% of the US population, even fewer are observant, and even fewer actually believe that it is wrong to watch football on Rosh Hashanah"!

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 4:51 pm

Exactly Kwini, if silly beliefs impact on how people live their lives then that's their problem. It shouldn't affect anyone else.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:38 pm

Who said they had to drink the bottle of wine? They could give it to someone as a gift, donate it to charity, use it as anti-freeze (I'm assuming it was no Chateau Neuf du Pape), anything. It would have been one of the higher value single items in the store, and as such was a very (overly) generous gesture of apology for a mistake way down the supply chain.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:46 pm

Just a bunch of chancers I think Smithers. Just another example of faux-offence.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:55 pm

It's pretty much a non story anyway. If it had been a tee-total vegetarian with no religious connections, the story would be the same but even more a non event

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:01 pm

They could have picked a bottle of Lauren Perrier rose or boli. 60 quid bottle that. Great present for someone if they don't want it themselves

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm

You could've given them 60 quid of Perrier water and they'd still be offended.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

Imagine being offended because a piece of really rubbish fiction tells you to be.

The newspaper should have told them to stick their worthless story up their conceited backsides.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:06 am

Super

I actually agree w/ you re. religion in general but you really do bang on and on and on and on about it and the way you put your points across is pretty similar to radical theists i.e. dogmatic, dictatorial and provocatively insulting. You won't win arguments like that.
Morrisons were stupid because they must have known about the original complaint with its reasons and then simply compounded it but that's not to say the family weren't OTT with their reaction. Not sure why it made the news anywhere though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:13 am

Not really Navy,
The default position should be that everyone lives their life as normal. If you want to add your own silly beliefs to your life, then play with your imaginary friend at home and don't expect to be treated differently because of them.
These people deserve derision, because there is no reason for them to live their life that way, no reason for anyone else to understand it or know the finer details, and no reason for them to expect special treatment.

Non story though for sure.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:27 am

Hopefully Tokyo will get it. One of ex engineers moved there last year so I gave him a microwave emmisions tester as a parting gift to test the city. The readings are going down Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:42 am

Dem muslims take themselves far too seriously.  No wonder the middle-east is imploding.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

gaelgowfer wrote:Dem muslims take themselves far too seriously.  No wonder the middle-east is imploding.
Most religious do Gael. They are all as bad as one another.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 19 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

Don't think that's quite accurate super eg there's no way you can compare say Church of Scotland teachings to the muslim variety.  

I do think think religious indoctrination of children should be banned though.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Children are indoctrinated one way or another whatever walk of life their parents or role models lead. There are plenty of wee nyaffs who grow up without a religious background who have extremely undesirable and unpleasant personalities, and plenty with religious backgrounds who are extremely pleasant ‘in spite’ of their teachings. Parents have a lot to answer for, but the problem is that everyone thinks they are in the right and their neighbour has it wrong. Modern ‘society’ is a sham – self-centredness is the most predominant human characteristic on display in our wonderful world today. Perhaps that’s always been the case though - survival instinct in the 21st century.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:41 am

I saw a picture of Phil Neville and his wife on the Daily Mirror website and she looks just like him. Do people choose partners (and dogs) that look the same?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:53 am

As there are equally plenty of "wee nyaffs" who grow up with a religious background your point is moot.

Sorry, should have explained why I don't think children should be exposed to religious dogma.  It's so difficult to get it out of your system when grown up.  I grew up in protestant Church of Scotland which is about as benign as religious teachings go.  However, as an adult, I really struggle with the truth of it all and I put this down to the innocent way it was taught to me as a child.  

As a female, I am sick and tired of females being subjugated by religious tenets of one sort or another.  I'll give you two examples ...

Church of Scotland - two women went into their church to collect a video of some sort. However, the video was in a room which was currently being occupied by the minister who was having a meeting with the elders.  All they had to do was knock on the door and politely ask to retrieve the video but they didn't.  They waited outside until the meeting was finished because they didn't want to disturb the men at their meeting.  

This was from a muslim cleric on a website - a woman asked that if men lived good lives, paradise along with 70 beautiful maidens would await them;  what would she received if she lived a good life.  Can't remember exactly what he said but, basically, he waffled and rambled and we were both none the wiser as to what her reward would be.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next