The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Solheim Cup - Payback time !!!

+19
Duty281
raycastleunited
lorus59
Plunky
Skydriver
pedro
gaelgowfer
incontinentia
Bob_the_Job
MustPuttBetter
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
McLaren
super_realist
shclaff
Davie
navyblueshorts
JAS
TRUSSMAN66
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Solheim Cup -  Payback time !!! - Page 4 Empty The Solheim Cup - Payback time !!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

First topic message reminder :

Remembering all the good natured abuse I got when Europe turned the Ryder cup round.............

Well It's our turn now.......I've tried and tried and tried again but I just can't see how this inexperienced Euro team avoids getting hammered against the likes of Wie, Creamer and Pressel etc etc........

I'll call it 171/2 -101/2..........and that's being nice..............No experience in your team and away from home......

Hope you are all well....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The Solheim Cup -  Payback time !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Solheim Cup - Payback time !!!

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Aug 2013, 12:55 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Plunky wrote:Apparently she noticed that the shorter asian women like putted really well, so she though that like if she could like get her eyes like closer to the ball like, maybe she could like putt like them.  And actually her putting has improved with that wacky looking stance, but i find it hard to believe it won't hurt her back in the long run.
Watch it, Mac will say that's bordering on racism............. :run: 
Why would I
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The Solheim Cup -  Payback time !!! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Solheim Cup - Payback time !!!

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 19 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm

Asians were mentioned, a stereotype was included - that's usually all you need
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:01 pm

I feel sorry for these young Asian girls/boys....They are really pushed and pushed whether it be academically or in sports and they don't get to experience life and become rounded......

We got kids at 14 in the Masters.........and it's wrong....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm

Didnt really see any of it, so what where the marks out of 10 for the players on both sides, taking into account the old scottish lady would be a 2/3 at best, and the young english girl 4/5, due to her age. Any of them a 7 or 8?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

Ben
Beatriz Recari and Aza Munoz easily 9s for me

Both played well too
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:12 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Plunky wrote:Apparently she noticed that the shorter asian women like putted really well, so she though that like if she could like get her eyes like closer to the ball like, maybe she could like putt like them.  And actually her putting has improved with that wacky looking stance, but i find it hard to believe it won't hurt her back in the long run.
Watch it, Mac will say that's bordering on racism............. Run 
It's more like xenophobia, which mclaren is fine with
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

incontinentia wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:
I knew someone would say that. It was labelled racism when it was the Pakistani thing so thought i'd stick with that Wink 
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:20 pm

Ben,

Piller, Creamer and Thompson scored well for the US team.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

incontinentia wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:
Actually I would say this is making stereo-typical judgements about short people. Maybe Mac has stayed silent because he suffers from Achondroplasiaphobia

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm

Fear of spiders?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:21 pm

Fear of plasma Tvs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Mon 19 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Well I'm pretty sure that's what I heard Michelle say, so I wash my hands of it ! Whistle 

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

Well done Europe!

American team did not roll over Sunday, so at least they made a good effort, but just too much to overcome.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

Just sort of rolled over on Sunday - 7.5 to 4.5.

Over the course of the competition, Europe won approx 12 holes on 17 and 18, two were tied and Team USA won two.
And that trend applied on Sunday too, except for Charley Hull when Creamer rolled over well before that.

But think history will show this was a very weak American squad, little fish in an increasingly small pool until the LPGA Tour properly gets back on to its feet again, rather than a team of European worldies.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm

Good points - Not sure a ROW team could beat Korea at the moment!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Just sort of rolled over on Sunday - 7.5 to 4.5.

Over the course of the competition, Europe won approx 12 holes on 17 and 18, two were tied and Team USA won two.
And that trend applied on Sunday too, except for Charley Hull when Creamer rolled over well before that.

But think history will show this was a very weak American squad, little fish in an increasingly small pool until the LPGA Tour properly gets back on to its feet again, rather than a team of European worldies.
The highlight for America was Salas somehow getting a share........Seve-esque....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 19 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm

Salas got a half because Pettersen missed a two-foot putt after the Cup was long since won. But Salas is stout - in two ways.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 19 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:But think history will show this was a very weak American squad, little fish in an increasingly small pool until the LPGA Tour properly gets back on to its feet again, rather than a team of European worldies.
You might well be right, but that's not how I viewed the situation and I'm still very surprised at the result. In my mind, the likes of Lewis, Pressel, Creamer, Thompson and Kerr are in a league above the Europeans - except perhaps Pettersen. I was aware that most of the Euros have "graduated" to the LPGA as it were so must be good, but I still assumed that the American squad out-strengthed and out-depthed their counterparts by and large. That plus home advantage made me horribly understimate Europe.

Did anyone else see the Charley interview on BBC? How does she sum up her first Solheim experience - "Wicked. Just wicked. Yeah." Bless. There have been recent signs she might become a bit over-exposed, so hope she handles it and kicks on from here.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 19 Aug 2013, 7:49 pm

What Skydriver is trying to say I think is that Charley may become the next Michelle Wie (or Rory McIlroy for that matter) .. I just don't see that happening

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Michelle Wie deserves all the flak she gets - and what's with that ridiculous putting style?

She can putt how she likes.......
Nicklaus with arthritis.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:31 am

pedro wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Michelle Wie deserves all the flak she gets - and what's with that ridiculous putting style?

Nicklaus with arthritis.
Each to their own with a putting stroke...as long as it's legal. We all know what a textbook conventional putting stroke is supposed to look like but look at footage of Nicklaus, Player, Palmer etc....some weird contortions in all of them...but they worked. Yes Wie's putting stance looks like a giraffe having a drink but if it's working, who are we to knock. I don't believe she's anchoring so she won't have to change it any time soon. It would be interesting to see if she could still get into that position in her 50s tho :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 20 Aug 2013, 1:45 pm

JAS wrote:
pedro wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Nicklaus with arthritis.
Each to their own with a putting stroke...as long as it's legal. We all know what a textbook conventional putting stroke is supposed to look like but look at footage of Nicklaus, Player, Palmer etc....some weird contortions in all of them...but they worked. Yes Wie's putting stance looks like a giraffe having a drink but if it's working, who are we to knock. I don't believe she's anchoring so she won't have to change it any time soon. It would be interesting to see if she could still get into that position in her 50s tho :-/
The thing is, while it might have lifted her to 37th in the putting stats (woop-de-do!), I didn't see her hole anything over 4 feet all weekend so I'm not sure it is working for her really.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue 20 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

She had rounds with the old stroke where playing partners said it was painful to watch her putting. If she was consistently holing 4-footers at the Solheim then that would be an improvement ! I didn't see much of her over the weekend but opinion over here seems divided -- some say she did great and fully justified her selection, while others say she was carried by her partners.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 20 Aug 2013, 7:58 pm

I think her record was 2wins and 2losses but from what I saw she was less than convincing and looked more brittle than some of the other Americans and almost all the Europeans. She also looked a bit too hyper, was a bit discourteous in marching off to the next tee before her opponent(s) had putted out and generally came across not great. However, Christina Kim, who commentated a bit on Sky and who I thought was excellent said she was great fun and loved by the rest of the team, so who knows.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 20 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

Christina has class - Michelle doesn't. I know who I'd rather see on the USA side - and TBH who I'd fear more from a European point of view. Wie has no substance to the hype - Christina Kim has enough of EVERYTHING to go around :P

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:46 pm

Davie wrote:Christina has class - Michelle doesn't. I know who I'd rather see on the USA side - and TBH who I'd fear more from a European point of view. Wie has no substance to the hype - Christina Kim has enough of EVERYTHING to go around :P
lol CK was the gobby lunatic that I was referring to in an earlier post on this thread. When I saw she was doing studio guest commentary during the Solheim I thought "Oh No"... To be fair though she was actually quite good and well balanced so I take it back. It would appear that she's grown out of her "loud" phase.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:01 pm

Have to say that, although I'm no expert on womens golf, when I saw the two teams on paper, home soil for the US, a few debuts for Europe, I thought it would be a tough ask for another European victory. Brilliant win though!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:07 am

Michelle's first solheim cup was 2009 when she was paired with her best friend Christina Kim. The two of them were completely out of control, dancing around, egging on the crowd at inappropriate moments etc. Christina seems to have grown up somewhat since then -- I seem to remember reading that she has been battling depression for many years.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 21 Aug 2013, 10:32 am

Yes, I believe that's correct re: Christina Kim / depression; she may have written a book about it or something similar. She fell out of form and lost playing privileges on the LPGA tour and now plays mostly on the LET I think. Saw her at the Buckinghamshire recently. She still talks to her ball a lot, but was more subdued on course than her "old" image.

In passing, I should mention that Cheyenne Woods was another American included in that same cluster of more famous players on the opening days of that tournament. Have to say I was very impressed with her in terms of technique / rhythm. What's more, she seems very polite and plays quickly. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if she turns out to be a good player over time.

Best I saw that day though was Caro Masson. She was murdering the course and ended the opening day 9 under. Slightly difficult to believe she didn't go on to win having seen her play that well.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:30 pm

Skydriver wrote:..In passing, I should mention that Cheyenne Woods was another American included in that same cluster of more famous players on the opening days of that tournament.  Have to say I was very impressed with her in terms of technique / rhythm.
Must be in the genes...

Skydriver wrote:  What's more, she seems very polite....
..or maybe not.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4