The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS

+27
tunes666
monzon
Duty281
milkyboy
88Chris05
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BallchinianMuffwig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Gerry SA
Cast a Shadow
Pedro147
AlexHuckerby
bhb001
Seanusarrilius
Lumbering_Jack
seanmichaels
DynamiteChris
Union Cane
John Bloody Wayne
hampo17
The Boss
Happytravelling
6oldenbhoy
tommyhearnsprodigalson
ONETWOFOREVER
Strongback
mobilemaster8
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS - Page 3 Empty TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 17 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Evening gents!

Half an hour until coverage start on boxnation. Don't know the run of play in terms of fight timings but thought id create a thread for to nights action involving out two Brits Cleverley and of course Barker stateside.

Use this thread for to nights thoughts and action!!

Enjoy gents!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS - Page 3 Empty Re: TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 2:26 am

Very disappointing for Cleverly that - his first big test and he's failed.

Still, where there's Barker there's hope.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS - Page 3 Empty Re: TONIGHTS FIGHT THREAD - SPOILER ALERTS

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:15 am

Prior to the fight too many knowledgeable boxing people were saying Kovalev is the real deal chief amonst them Freddie Roach who called Kovalev one of the most complete fighters in the world. A large part of that completeness comes from the number of amateur bouts he's had.

Cleverly's a likeable kid and he looked very disappointed as he started to regain his senses. It's a kong road back for him now.

Terry O'Connor was a disgrace and given he has many "British Stoppages" to his name he let's one of Frank Warren's fighters carry on when he was walking around like a drunk man in the third.

Cleverly's corner should stick to training at the local ABA boys club, they were shockingly bad. The kid should never have been let off the stool to start the 4th especially against a murderous puncher.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:20 am

Whether you call him "Tony the T.i.t" or "Ballbag Bellew"doesn't matter, the guy has made an arse of himself again. He's looking pretty foolish for running down Kovalev as a hype job. Bellow wouldn't last 3 rounds with Krusher.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:34 am

Thoughts on Romero?

He's a possible Frampton opponent and looks pretty slick, but Frampton is a different animal to Kiko.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:37 am

Strongback - and you say that without a hint of irony? ;-)

Its looking like a night of upsets. It was billed as a walkover for Romero and right now, my money is on Kiko... unless he seriously runs out of gas in the champ rounds.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:44 am

Great win for Kiko. What an effort!

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:44 am

Well done Kiko. Frampton has to press for this fight now.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:48 am

Thought the ref stepped in at an odd time but Kiko thoroughly deserved it. Massive underdog and challenger wins by shear grit and determination. Great performance and result.

6oldenbhoy, I think Frampton already fought and beat Kiko a year or two ago.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:07 am

Happytravelling, Carl stopped him last year. Get this fight and Carl is a World Champ.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:11 am

sorry, I know what you were saying but not sure Kiko would be too quick to fight Frampton as Frampton took care of him pretty comfortably.

Quite rightly, Kiko will want to make a bit of money before challenging himself too much.

But, I know what you mean. Frampton would be happy.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:17 am

Kiko would get more money fighting Frampton than anyone else. Rigondeaux doesn't sell and HBO don't like him. Mares is a possibility as is Santa Cruz, but neither can sell out a venue like Carl can in Belfast. Carl's next fight is an eliminator as Kiko has to fight Mathebula in the next 90 days. Easy buy out for McGuigan if it comes to that.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 18 Aug 2013, 8:03 am

Could someone please let me know of a link to highlights of the Geale/Barker fight?

Reply or PM fine.

Thanks in advance.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 18 Aug 2013, 8:13 am

A bit disappointed for Nathan last night. Should have been stopped earlier than it was. I was one of those who thought Nathan might be able to take it the distance (though most people were tipping Kovalev, contrary to what someone above is claiming, he was favourite). Even knowing about his record i was surprised at just how much of a monster he was. I don't think Clev has anything to really feel ashamed of, he lost to the man who's probably the standout fighter at the weight.

Don't really see his career being under threat in any way. With the exception of possibly Stevenson, who's getting on anyway, i'd stick Cleverley in with anyone else in the world top ten and expect him to win. Don't think he'll face much of a job rebuilding from here, to be honest, and for me the kudos he deserves for getting in with Kovalev outweighs the negatives of what was a very one-sided fight. Those calling him stuff like "an embarrasment" have probably never been punched in the face by another grown man before.

I'd go for a warm-up fight against a ranked guy who isn't necessarily a big puncher, maybe someone like Fonfara, just to get his confidence back up, then maybe someone like Dawson. Really think Nathan's a lot tougher than last night suggests, but this guy has lead hands, and a wake-up call might not necessarily be a bad thing.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

Strongback wrote:

Cleverly's a likeable kid and he looked very disappointed as he started to regain his senses. It's a kong road back for him now.
1 defeat and its a long road back?, I dont agree, I think its simply a first defeat against what appeared to be a very dangerous and good fighter. He needs to regroup win one or two fights and then get back into the mix for another world title shot. Whether he is good enough to win another one is another question.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:33 am

I thought Nathan looked over confident at the start and looked like he was lapping up the home crowed too much putting on too much of a "performance", So was not shocked when he was over powered and beat... Im not sure if that's ALL that contributed to his loss but IMO it certainly contributed to it.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 10:59 am

Over the moon for Barker. After the problems his had in and out of the ring, he really deserves this and the performance he put in for this fight was fantastic. The shot he got dropped with was a perfect punch and be did well to get up.

Kiko Martinez was like a man possessed in the ring. Romero didn't know how to cope with so much pressure and looked hurt every time he got caught clean.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:13 am

Brilliant brilliant effort from Barker. Was a truly great fight, one that i thoroughly enjoyed in every round.

i had it 115-113 Barker. At least couple rounds up but it was close. I missed the Kiko fight but that must fill our very own Carl Frampton with confidence having stopped Kiko!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:26 am

Was at the Clev fight, great atmosphere,Enzo was superb!.In regards to the Cleverly fight, The first time Kovalev landed you could tell by Clev's face and reaction that his power was going to be too much which was the case. Kovalev knew Cleverly couldnt really hurt him so he just tee'd off at will.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:48 am

never really rated Geale but barker showed true grit and toughness to get the win and looked very good

Went after him from the off, had to weather a couple storms himself particularly the body shot thats a nightmare to get up from, but still pushed on late and never stopped throwing

Not sure how that style of fighting would do against macklin (if he still has anything left) or Murray as Geale isn't a big middleweight and isn't much of a puncher but still hit Barker a lot and hurt him often and Murray and macklin are bigger and hit harder. He could still box them as he is still the best boxer

Think he should stay away from GGG, Quillin and Chavez asthey would definately hurt him and wear him down

Still a great night for british boxing and hoepfully the british trio (and Lee) can all start fighting and see who's the best

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:57 am

Well done Darren Barker, he really made a determined comeback there, and fully deserved his victory. clap 

Really, really pleased for him.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Indeed. If i was Barker id cash in on Murray in a big pay day which would sell well in the UK.

If he wins that, then id take Chavez purely for the money side. If he wins then great, if he loses he does so with a big paycheck which sets his family up for life.

Great effort from Barker. Chuffed.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

Well done to Barker. It looked a close fight on paper but I thought Geale would have enough.

Now a British fighter has a belt Eddie can set up local fights with Murray, Macklin, Andy Lee etc. What are really second tier fighters can make a good bit of money fighting each other locally. It has parallels with Eubank, Benn, Watson and Collins fighting for the WBO belt. In spite of the WBO title having no value or respect at the time they still made huge money. If Eddie plays this right he could generate some big British fights drawing casual fans in. The fights would need to be exciting but that's possible because all the guys are around the same level

The only problem might be all these guys are fairly conservative in terms of their public persona and that doesn't generate headlines.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 18 Aug 2013, 1:51 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Indeed. If i was Barker id cash in on Murray in a big pay day which would sell well in the UK.

If he wins that, then id take Chavez purely for the money side. If he wins then great, if he loses he does so with a big paycheck which sets his family up for life.

Great effort from Barker. Chuffed.
There's no chance of Barker facing Chavez Jr

Chavez has just postponed his debut at 168, against Brian Vera, due to a 'cut'. The actual reason was he was 25lbs overweight and had no hope of making the 168 limit.

If Chavez Jr can't make 168, there's no way he can ever make 160 again.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 2:36 pm

Utterly made up for Barker. I was confident he'd take the fight to Geale as he's been adding a lot more spite to his punches in recent fights rather than the 'amateur' pitter patter straight shots. Lots more hooks, uppercuts and body shots and he must have put the hours in to get in that shape. Well it all paid off!!

Lots of options for him and without necessarily wearing my business hat (although it'll do great biz all the same) I want to see him fight Murray. Sell out the O2 Dazzler!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

Yeh heartwarming stuff re barker. Finally a Brit middle gets the benefit of doubt in a close world title fight. He looked smoked after that body shot and did really well to tough it out.

Still think it was strange tactics. He did his best work when he boxed but seemed determined to mix it. I suspect it was part a determined effort to match geale for work rate and part wanting to know he'd left nothing in the tank, after what was a fairly cagey performance against Martinez. Whatever the reason, it worked and chuffed for him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 18 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

Fair play on Barker, he has a say in his division yet.

On Clev, I said before the fight I'd have no sympathy if he lost and that is indeed the case. The mismatches he's fought the last 3 years were never going to prepare him for a fighter like Kovalev and last night that justly came back to bite him. Should happen to every fraud who tries playing people for fools and pretending they're pursuing the best when they're just beating up the tomato cans they've eaten from. Also you'll not often find someone with a duller, more arrogant strategy than Clev's. I couldn't resist an inward smirk seeing him sparked and exposed.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

Happy for Barker but got the feeling he will try to avoid GGG like the plague.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:36 pm

Christ alive OneTwo, I think the bloke deserves to pick a fight or two before saying he should be taking on GGG. He'll know full well, as Geale did no doubt, that he's not the top man in the division, but he is A champion. If not THE champ.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 18 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm

Was it just me or when Kellerman was interviewing the fighters did it seem that he was, not so subtly, hinting at Geale being robbed?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 18 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm

Pound4 - I thought that. I thought Geale was getting a bit close to sounding like a sore loser.

Geale was feeling it, that if for sure. Showboating when you're coasting is arrogant. Showboating when really its close whiffs a bit of trying to bluff you're not hurt etc. I think Geale knew he had lost so suggesting he might have been robbed was a bit off.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 18 Aug 2013, 5:55 pm

It's a good fight for Barker to take again if there is a rematch clause. It should be a decent pay day as HBO would show it I'm sure.

IBF Top15 prior to last night below:

Champ: Geale

1. Sam Soliman
2. Felix Sturm
3. Darren Barker
4. Domenico Spada
5. Hassan N’Dam
6. Curtis Stevens
7. Jose Miguel Torres
8. Martin Murray
9. Gilberto Ramirez
10. Predrag Radosevic
11. Patrick Nielsen
12. Yovanni Lorenzo
13. Billy Joe Saunders
14. Brian Vera
15. David Lemieux

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 18 Aug 2013, 6:57 pm

I think now Barker is a belt holder we should see some of the British fighters get it on. I think he wins the whole competition between him Murray and Macklin personally. Murray would give him the toughest test but for me is a little one paced. Barker has a little to much variety and has shown he can stand in range and fight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3