The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English Rugby Must Sees

+7
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
yappysnap
GloriousEmpire
butterfingers
Looseheaded
madmaccas
11 posters

Go down

English Rugby Must Sees Empty English Rugby Must Sees

Post by madmaccas Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 pm

An old mate from down under is heading over to England in October and he wants to go on a rugby pilgrimage across the country taking pictures of famous rugby history and rugby supporter activities (he's a photographer and huge rugby nerd). He's asked me about rugby related things he should go and see and do (beyond just watching games) but I'm a little stumped.

All I can think of is the World Rugby Museum in Twickenham, the Rugby Football museum in Rugby, the rugby gargoyle at Exeter Cathedral and the statue of Prince Alexander Obolensky in Ipswich. Also thought the Otley Run would be a good thing 'to do' in Leeds (unless you're Danny Chipolata).

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

English Rugby Must Sees Empty Re: English Rugby Must Sees

Post by Looseheaded Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 am

if down richmond way then Old Deer Park is a nice place to photograph due to Pagoda in background, if he's got a spare day or so then actually despite not being rugby related Kew Gardens is a lovely scenic place.

also richmond and twickenham have great rugby supporter pubs so if he's looking for things rugby fans do it's drink in them,

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am

Is it England specific, because there is a huge amount of rugby heritage that is decaying in south Wales, I know many photographers who make a living off the back of snapping the view from Chepstow RFC's clubhouse across the bridge, The Millenium Stadium tour is pretty impressive, as is the Cardiff (blues) coir!

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:20 am

madmaccas wrote:An old mate from down under is heading over to England in October and he wants to go on a rugby pilgrimage across the country taking pictures of famous rugby history and rugby supporter activities (he's a photographer and huge rugby nerd). He's asked me about rugby related things he should go and see and do (beyond just watching games) but I'm a little stumped.

All I can think of is the World Rugby Museum in Twickenham, the Rugby Football museum in Rugby, the rugby gargoyle at Exeter Cathedral and the statue of Prince Alexander Obolensky in Ipswich. Also thought the Otley Run would be a good thing 'to do' in Leeds (unless you're Danny Chipolata).

I was going to say the trophy cabinet at twickenham. He could see the ring of dust that has accumulated where trophies used to sit a decade ago.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:23 am

butterfingers wrote:Is it England specific, because there is a huge amount of rugby heritage that is decaying in south Wales, I know many photographers who make a living off the back of snapping the view from Chepstow RFC's clubhouse across the bridge, The Millenium Stadium tour is pretty impressive, as is the Cardiff (blues) coir!

Yeah he only asked about England (he seems unaware that a Scotsman will have limited knowledge about English attractions) but it's not far out of the way so a very good shout. Cheers

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 am

Don't London Welsh have a pretty famous choir too? Maybe he could snap them.

Bath's ground is pretty photo friendly being right in the centre of Bath. Pretty much stumped after that though. Maybe go watch some local games where they still have long sleeve shirts, loose clothes, ale at half time (and pre game) and a lot of mud over winter!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:01 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
madmaccas wrote:An old mate from down under is heading over to England in October and he wants to go on a rugby pilgrimage across the country taking pictures of famous rugby history and rugby supporter activities (he's a photographer and huge rugby nerd). He's asked me about rugby related things he should go and see and do (beyond just watching games) but I'm a little stumped.

I was going to say the trophy cabinet at twickenham. He could see the ring of dust that has accumulated where trophies used to sit a decade ago.
Well the Hillary Shield will still be there.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:I was going to say the trophy cabinet at twickenham. He could see the ring of dust that has accumulated where trophies used to sit a decade ago.
All Giants sleep from time to time thumbsup
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 am

He is going to the wrong country. Dublin has the oldest international rugby ground in the world (Landsdowne) and the oldest and longest continously running rugby club in the world (Trinity college).

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 pm

How long is your friend staying in the UK? I'd have thought there could be some entertainment in going along to one of the traditional games that evolved into football/rugby. I don't know of any running during the autumn, but there are some in the new year and plenty come spring.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 am

Scrumpy wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:I was going to say the trophy cabinet at twickenham. He could see the ring of dust that has accumulated where trophies used to sit a decade ago.
All Giants sleep from time to time thumbsup
Didn't we last win a 6 N title 2 years ago?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Rugby school??

Do they have anything there???

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content