The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Football Memories thread

+13
JamesLincs
dummy_half
hornbloweroafc
TheCelticGarbutt
Kay Fabe
Nakatomi Plaza
TopoftheChops
Stella
compelling and rich
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
hbk48942
17 posters

Go down

The Football Memories thread Empty The Football Memories thread

Post by hbk48942 Thu 12 Sep 2013, 3:31 pm

what has been your favourite memory either watching football , or on an match day or while playing the game

for me watching has got to be when we beat Sunderland 2-0 in May 2008 just because of the pure emotion of the game , we secured our place in the premier league for a another season which sounded unlikely a few weeks ago , it was a very tough season for us that season.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

The Football Memories thread Empty Re: The Football Memories thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:59 pm

Oh there's too many hbk!

From attending home games it'd have to be Simeon Jackson's 95th minute winner against Derby in our promotion season, to keep us on track for 2nd with 2 games to go.

From attending away games it's either Pompy away when we got promoted, or Arsenal away when we drew 3-3 and Morison scored a late late equaliser.

Holty's goal at Anfield is my all time fav memory of football. We were in Berlin on a school trip, doing the nighttime Reichstag tour, and we were getting updates through my mate, and we all went mental when it came through Holt had scored and we drew 1-1. Ah what a time to be alive
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm

I've got a few.

Will Buckley 97th minute winner against Doncaster, was enough to make one cry! Just a truely amazing fitting story, to finish the hard and painful 14 years without a home and worrying wear Brighton football club would go, and it truly started a new era in Sussex football. Amazing day.

Our 5-3 penalty win over Man City in the Carling cup back in 2008, when we were utter rubbish and they were announced as the richest club in the country. There squad included Robhino, Jo, Elano etc, ours included Matt Richards, Doug Loft, Tommy Fraser. When Richards slotted in the winning penalty, just bolted on the pitch, too buzzing and went crashing into Kasper Schmical. Both of us went crashing to the floor, he offered me a hand up, top bloke!

Finally Adam Virgo 120th minute goal against Swindon in the 2004 league one play offs. Video says it all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQtHi5beGg

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 12 Sep 2013, 11:04 pm

Champions League Final 2005 is the ultimate one.

FA Cup Final 2006 was also a big one.

And 4-1 at Old Trafford.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hbk48942 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:59 pm

yeah i remember once being on the park just a few yards away from my house and being told Bolton had gone 2-1 up vs Arsenal.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm

watching on tv it would have to be the 1999 champions league final

live at the games recently would have to say the 4-3 against city with the owen last minute winner, also last minute winner in the league cup against them in that season. i was also right in front of rooneys overhead kick also against city

was there when we battered ac milan and roma in champions league and obviously 2008 final was another best European memory

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

Don't really support any club but for England, it would have to be Beckham's last minute free kick vs Greece, the 5-1 vs Germany, Platt's winner vs Belgium in 1990, The destruction of Holland in Euro 96, and Owen's goal vs Argentina in 1998.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZrozLYtmL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9RM9gIBAAo

These are the greatest memories ever

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm

Ipswich won the first ever game of Football I watched on TV. The 78 cup final. It was one of the most boring games as well Very Happy 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:46 pm

Olly wrote:Oh there's too many hbk!

From attending home games it'd have to be Simeon Jackson's 95th minute winner against Derby in our promotion season, to keep us on track for 2nd with 2 games to go.

From attending away games it's either Pompy away when we got promoted, or Arsenal away when we drew 3-3 and Morison scored a late late equaliser.

Holty's goal at Anfield is my all time fav memory of football. We were in Berlin on a school trip, doing the nighttime Reichstag tour, and we were getting updates through my mate, and we all went mental when it came through Holt had scored and we drew 1-1. Ah what a time to be alive
Oh and of course the 5-1 victory at Portman Road was pretty special
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

Stella wrote:Ipswich won the first ever game of Football I watched on TV. The 78 cup final. It was one of the most boring games as well Very Happy 
I watched it on video around 8 years ago, it wasn't the best game but it was the right result!

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Mon 16 Sep 2013, 1:06 pm

Olly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBltediWhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDQGg30AxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTPzcGwcJTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eth6hYOK_jU

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:34 pm

Watching on TV it's Michael Thomas' winner against Liverpool at Anfield in 1989.

My favourite memory from a game I attended was Arsenal's 5-3 vs Middlesborough in 2004. Arsenal equaled Forest's 42 match unbeaten run in the league, and came back from 1-3 down to win. Definitely the best game I've attended

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:39 pm

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:Watching on TV it's Michael Thomas' winner against Liverpool at Anfield in 1989.

I cried like a baby when this happened! Fantastic end to a season mind. Was on a Friday night if I remember correctly?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm

You're right Freek. 26th May 1989, which was exactly ten years before Manchester United got their late winner against Bayern.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:
Olly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBltediWhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDQGg30AxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTPzcGwcJTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eth6hYOK_jU
5-1 in your own backyard. The perfect opportunity to derail our promotion push, and you get beat 5-1.

I didn't even say anything about Holty's hattrick the previous November either
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm

Watching Newcastle vs Everton 2002 on teletext and pressing the 316 buttons to keep reloading the score (if you remember those days lol). 1-0 down whole game, i was so disappointed, thought we'd lost then i reloaded it and bellamy scored with minutes left. As a result jumped up, spilt my drink all over the carpet in my mum's house. while grabbing paper towels and drying the spillage was pressing 316 again and then shearer scored that wonder volley in the 90th min to win 2-1, went mental lost control of the controller and it flew straight into the wall and took a huge chunk out the wall. i was going mental for the result but also cos i had to fix the wall n dry the spillage before the parents came back. so basically had to get pollyfiller and fix the wall and paint it after the game but was absolutely buzzin for the result. basically was just an unfolding story of events while watching teletext football. true story, never forget it. got to laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:53 pm

I miss Teletext and Ceefax John. So simple but so good!

Page 410 on ITV was my first port of call everyday after school. The best invention ever!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:49 am

Ahhh same mate

410 on STV  & 302 on BBC then would read the letters page...it was through that page I found 606

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCelticGarbutt Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:35 am

For me it was the 2004 Carling Cup final, watching the legend that was Juninho play in the Millenium stadium, the disbelief of going 2-0 up in 7 mins (having never won a trophy in our history), to Schwarzer's blob for Bolton to score, to surving penalty appeals, fantastic saves to deny Pederson, Ehiogu's "handball" to Southgate finally getting his hands on that trophy and us lot sticking it to fat Sam.

That then lead to our European adventure and the phenomenal comebacks against Basel and Steau Bucharest. Maccarone in the 95th minute had to be the best night of my life, came away from that thinking it was just a dream.

That then lead to our 8 hour drive to Dover at stupid o'Clock in the morning, to get a ferry to Dunkerque to travel through France, Belgium and over to Eindhoven ........... for us to get battered 4-0 by Sevilla, guess we didnt know much at the time about the likes of Dani Alves, Jesus Navas, Enzo Maresca, Javi Saviola and Juande Ramos, we soon learnt.

Was a fantastic two years to be a Boro fan and considering we lie 16th in the Championship as of now, stark difference from what we had to enjoy back then.

Still to think, if we had of won that, would of been Middlesbrough v Barcelona in the super cup Sad

TheCelticGarbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by hbk48942 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

FreekShow wrote:I miss Teletext and Ceefax John. So simple but so good!

Page 410 on ITV was my first port of call everyday after school. The best invention ever!

yeah Vidiprinter was so good.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:48 pm

When I was younger I was a Gooner. In 1995 they reached the semis of the Cup Winners Cup for the second successive year (having won it in 1994).

Won the first leg at Highbury 3-2, then with 8mins left was 4-3 up on aggregate. They then went 5-4 down on aggregate with 2 goals in 3mins, and I was so upset I thought it was injury time and we'd lost. I cried for about half an hour before my Mum came upstairs to ask if I wanted to watch the penalty shoot out downstairs Laugh

That was a nightmare too. 1-0 after two pens each, then 3-2 going into the final round, Merson misses, I'm crying again, but Lombardo missed and we went through.

Then Nayim happened in the final Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Mon 30 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

Nothing better than a last minute penalty to win you the league!

This happened to us (Oldham) on the last old Div 2 game of the 1990/91 season. We was 2 nil down when bang Ian Marshall scores to pull one back.

Youngster Paul Bernard makes it 2 all and a mini pitch invasion happens, we are on the verge of promotion to the big time.

Then the dramatic finale happens - First a clear handball is not given for Oldham, then 20 seconds later local man Andy Barlow is brought down by John Sheridan (ironically he becomes a bit of a legend for playing and managing us).

Up steps the coolest man on the pitch, Neil Redfearn. (this was the longest few minutes in an Oldham fans life!) Slots it bottom left corner and another pitch invasion. Oldham are (old) Div 2 champions!

What made this even better was West Ham where on their pitch ready to celebrate with the story as they finished a few minutes earlier lol

As a youngster this and Oldham going to Wembley twice is what dreams are made of as a small club fan!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 01 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

Hornblower

One of my live football memories involves being at Boundary Park (back in the days of the horrible plastic pitch) to watch a league cup match between Oldham and Scarborough (iirc, managed by Neil Warnock at the time, and who had beaten Chelsea in the previous round of the cup). My Uncle came from Scarborough and had to go almnost past us to get to Oldham, so we tagged along.

Optimiism following the Chelsea win was quickly tempered as it became obvious that Oldham's familiarity with the vagaries of their pitch (which was absolutely saturated) was a huge advantage to what was anyway the superior side. I think it was 5-0 by half time and 7-0 by the end, with Frankie Bunn scoring a double hattrick and Andy Ritchie scoring a fantastic scissor kick for the other goal.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 01 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

Dummy half,

I think Frankie Bunn's 6 goals is still a record in the League Cup? Funny how he scored 6 but the best goal of the night was Andy Ritchie's.

I know it would of been an advantage being used to the plastic pitch but we were just as good on grass in the 'pinch me seasons'. We had a three years in the Premiership (founder members) playing on grass and also reached two FA cup semi finals as well.

hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 01 Oct 2013, 2:02 pm

BBC ceefax
302: football
i think it was, on match days
303: prem, and i was always flicking between 303 and 306 for the old division 3 to see how lincoln were getting on on away days.

as for memories, i remember the odd win in the late 90's, they were rare enough as it was. lee thorpe was our main man and even he struggled for double figures. i remember the last day win against brighton in 98? which saw us go up, but i was too young to stay for the celebrations and i was very new to the club. administration in the turn of the millenium and the horrible sense that we may be finished as a club, keith alexander comes in and performs an absolute miracle with a team filled with non-league players. gary taylor-fletcher being one of them, and the late richard butcher. still, predicted for relegation we go on to have a season most football fans can only dream of. the impossible seemingly already achieved, we not only survived but finished 6, winning during the season at the likes of hull and bournemouth. the final day drama of needing a point, is a day and a game i will never ever forget. 1-0 down to torquay, were lucky not to be 2 down but marriot saves a cheeky penalty attempt to keep us in it, it seems like it isnt going to happen when with about 3 minutes to go the legend that is simon yeo lobs the keeper from 20 yards to spark the most amazing and emotional scenes ive ever witnessed from a football match. this video doesnt do the celebrations justice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmb2_eEadrI

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

Villa

Beating Man Utd away 1-0 a few season ago was great.

Our coca cola cup wins in 1994/96 were great memories.

Beating Inter Milan 1-0 at Villa Park, Ray Houghton scoring.

5-1 thumping of the Blues.

Away Villa away days are always memorable, especially when we win, going to different places and meeting new people, sometimes seeing the same faces from before.

Ireland. The 1990/94/02 world cups, just great to be there was great. The 1-0 win against Italy in 94, was special.

Again away trips meeting great people.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 01 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv0LyKc8bQ

I remember being at this game vividly. It was cold! Skip to the penalty shoot out at the end. Good times.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 01 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rfnLRb36k - Video for when Oldham beat Sheff Wed 3-2 to win the old Div 2 title. Emotional scenes and get goosebumps everytime I see it or listen to GMR commentary.

Recently games I was at and will never forget beating Man City 1-0 in FA Cup a few years, Scott Vernon with the only goal. Was top of the Chaddy End, atmosphere was brilliant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hESTrXOUE

Beating Everton away 1-0. Gary McDonald with an absolute screamer! Remember it being delayed because a chippy near the ground was on fire. Was already in the ground giving us more time to top up with beer and get the voice warmed up Ale Very Happy 

Beating Liverpool 3-2 last year in the FA Cup 4th round. The father in law (Liverpool fan) was sat with us to make it even better. Fantastic atmosphere, one of the best I've heard at BP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbBOey60Eg4

Drawing 2-2 to a full strength Everton in the next round. nothing better than scoring a last minute goal! Felt like we won! Again atmosphere was electric! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubggfrlTV2c

hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:02 pm

I remember the first Prem season when we were hot on the heels of Man Utd.

Oldham at home. Banker win we were thinking.

1-0 loss, thus handing the title to Utd.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:05 pm

Remember 95-96 westi, when you beat Utd 3-1, then came the infamous 'win nothing with kids' comment from Hansen?

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:18 pm

Ah that was a great win.

Becham scored their goal, which I think was his first ever goal for man ut(may be wrong).

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:19 pm

I think he scored the season before. Remember Villa winning the league in 81? I think they only used about 14 players that season.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:25 pm

Nah, dont really remember that tbh.

To be honest only really started supporting Villa 'properly' when I was in my teens.

Always been a family club, having lived in Birmingham, my brother and old man(and all his side if the family massive fans).

My passion for Villa started later.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 01 Oct 2013, 4:52 pm

westisbest wrote:I remember the first Prem season when we were hot on the heels of Man Utd.

Oldham at home. Banker win we were thinking.

1-0 loss, thus handing the title to Utd.
Yep,  The Great Escape we had to beat Aston Villa, Liverpool and Southampton last three games to stand a chance of staying up.  Even then Crystal Palace had to lose I think to Arsenal last game.

We beat you (downfall was giving them reds the title), and Liverpool 1-0 then we beat Southampton 4-3 at home last game of season.  Matt Le Tissier tried his best to relegate us scoring an hat-trick for them.

Joe Royle said after the Villa game he had a drink with Ron Atkinson and big Ron said to him don't you dare blow it!  The rest was history as they say.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 02 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

We signed the great Earl Barrett from you.

Remember players like Ian Marshall, Gunnar Halle, Paul Gerrard was your keeper.

Ian Olney was with you aswell.

I remember that 4-3 game.

Was Oldham that used to play on the artificial pitch?
I know Luton did.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Oct 2013, 10:28 am

And QPR had one.

Andy Ritchie was a decent striker as well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 02 Oct 2013, 11:09 am

Yeah we had the plastic pitch late 80's, had to go back to grass when got promoted to premier league.

We had a fantastic team back then but once Joe Royle left for Everton it went down hill. The best manager we ever had, brought players in from local reserves teams and made them into good players and top squad.

'Oooh' Roger Palmer (all time leading goalscorer) was my favourite player but promotion came a little too late in his career.

Denis Irwin didn't do to bad either.

Ricky Holden was another who had he played for a bigger club would have played for England on the left wing.

I think Ian Olney is our record fee signing. Got a bad injury not long after though and never did anything.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 02 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

hornbloweroafc wrote:Dummy half,

I think Frankie Bunn's 6 goals is still a record in the League Cup?  Funny how he scored 6 but the best goal of the night was Andy Ritchie's.

I know it would of been an advantage being used to the plastic pitch but we were just as good on grass in the 'pinch me seasons'.  We had a three years in the Premiership (founder members) playing on grass and also reached two FA cup semi finals as well.

On that night (it had rained all day and was still being typical Lancastrian weather at kick-off), the pitch was absolutely full of water, so familiarity with how it played was even more important than usual - my memory is that usually the ball bounced way more than on grass, but just occasionally stopped entirely. IIRC, Oldham were then a good Div 2 side, and it may even have been the end of that season they were promoted to the top division, so were clearly better than their Div 4 opponents regardless of the pitch. It is just that the conditions are one of my abiding memories of that game, along with Scarborough fans chanting 'You're not singing any more' around the middle of the second half when Oldham hadn't scored for about 15 minutes (I think it was already 6-0).

In a way that Oldham team was the fore-runner of Wigan or Norwich in the Premiership - relateively small clubs over-achieving for a reasonably sustained period thanks to good management and a team that was probably better than the sum of its parts. Joe Royle was certainly a great manager for you.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 02 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

It was the season before (1989-90) when we got the Littlewoods Cup final and lost 1-0 to Brian Clough's Notts Forest.

I suppose in a way we was the small club to give hope to others dreams can be reached.

I guess we knew it wouldn't last but it was fun while it lasted, great memories Very Happy 

Now we have been in the same division (league 1) for 16 years I think! I guess this is where we belong Sad 
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

Hornblower random question but hows Korey Smith getting on for your lot?!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:40 pm

Wears the captain's armband and plays like a leader. I like him seems a very good player, good with ball, passing, tackling and as an engine in him. Wish he would push on a little more from the centre of midfield but I would say all the fans are pleased with him so far. I personally was surprised we got him, thought he was good enough for the Championship.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Oct 2013, 5:13 pm

He was certainly good enough for the Championship when we got promoted from it a few years back!!!!

He was different gravy at League 1 level with us should be class for you
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hbk48942 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:35 pm

always will remember my first away game at Blackburn in 2006 - Campo Goal plus Jussi saved two pens in the final minutes to make sure we kept the 3 points.

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:54 pm

hbk48942 wrote:what has been your favourite memory either watching football , or on an match day or while playing the game

For sheer stomach-churning tension, the play off final between Charlton and Sunderland at Wembley in 1998 was as unbearable as I've ever known a game.

The 90 minutes finished 3 - 3..... then 4 -4 after extra time and a penalty shoot out that finished 7 - 6 to the Addicks .    The game had everything, including a see-sawing scoreline, a last gasp equaliser in normal time and a hat trick by Clive Mendonca for Charlton, with the ironic tagline that Mendonca was a childhood Sunderland supporter.

Someone might put me right on this..... but I think Mendonca was the last person to score a hat trick in a 'competitive' match at the old Wembley.

I've seen exciting matches that had more at stake, and/ or were better games of football, but when it's your own team involved, it matters more.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 31 Oct 2013, 9:50 am

97 FA Cup final. Di Matteo's goal 42 seconds in after Boro had kick off.

03-04 UCL quarter final 2nd leg vs Arsenal at Highbury. 1-1 after the 1st leg and Jose Reyes put Arsenal ahead. Then 2nd half Lampard scored and a very late winner from Bridge.

04-05 Bolton away to clinch the title. Lampard rounding Jussi.

2010 FA Cup semi vs Spurs. 5-1 demolishing.

09-10 beating Wigan 8-0 on the last day. Champions, Drogba golden boot and PL record for goals (103) in a 38 game season.

Munich 2012. Best night ever! Hugged about 2000 strangers between the Kings Road and West Brompton tube station.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down