The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex-Surrey XI

5 posters

Go down

Ex-Surrey XI Empty Ex-Surrey XI

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 29 Sep 2013, 7:02 pm

To all those who've been saying Surrey don't ever develop their own talent - thumbsdown . You're wrong.
To all those who've been having a laugh at the ones Surrey have let go - fair comment. You're dead right

For those already missing the cricket season, can you help me complete the following current 'Ones Surrey Let Go XI'?

1. Michael Carberry
3. Laurie Evans
4. Rory  H-Brown
6. Rikki Clarke
8. Chris Jordan
10. Tim Murtagh

It already has the makings of a pretty good team...

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Ex-Surrey XI Empty Re: Ex-Surrey XI

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 29 Sep 2013, 10:56 pm

I'm sure guildford and corporal will be able to help further but a few possibles:

Tom Lancefield - On stats his release was probably justified but, despite not finding a new county for 2013, he did have a reasonably successful season scoring 3 50s in 11 YB40 matches for Unicorns as well as playing for a number of county 2nd XIs.

Toby Roland-Jones - Not strictly an ex-Surrey player but was involved in Surrey's youth set-up.

Matthew Spriegel - Some conjecture on here when he was allowed to go. Seems to have regressed at Northants if anything, so possibly a good decision. Of Northants winter signings he has been by far the least effective whilst Crook, Azharullah and Copeland have been inspired.

---

Whilst I understand the frustration of Surrey fans that their players are doing well elsewhere I honestly don't think it's something that could really have been prevented... on their own merits it made complete sense for every one of the six players you've listed to move on. Other counties have been similarly effected. In fact I'd go as far as to say that player movement is part of the modern game.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Sep 2013, 12:17 am

Bob Willis?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 02 Oct 2013, 8:13 pm

Can't obviously think of any others to those listed above. Do fear though that a few more might be added if they don't get greater opportunities next season - Roy, Dunn and Edwards particularly come to mind.

Slightly in defence of the Club and following up Shelsey's main point, 3 of the players listed (Carberry, Clarke and Hamilton-Brown) needed to move on one more time after having first left Surrey to make a real go of things.

Willis was a nice spot by Kwini as well!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Oct 2013, 6:53 pm

Not sure that Bob Willis would count for a current team?  Unless we include his input as a commentator which doesn't always meet with universal acclaim. Wink 

If we went back to Willis - and beyond - that would bring into play the likes of Geoff (GG) Arnold and "Ob" Long who moved to Sussex, admittedly near the end of their careers. Again, very much at the end of his career we let Ali Brown move on to Notts.

There are of course also ones we released who didn't come back to haunt us.  For example, Benning did OK but not stellar with Leics and now seems to have disappeared.  Newman was one we released despite our own lack of alternative openers.  But he didn't really prosper elsewhere.  

I am one of those disappointed that so far Spriegel hasn't been terribly successful at Northants.  

I think the case of Evans in particular doesn't look - he didnt get a chance in first team despite scoring heavily for the seconds.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 07 Oct 2013, 9:52 pm

Corporal,
I read "current" to mean living, unlike Tony Lock for instance whom I would presumably have filed under non-current!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down