The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread

+16
LuvSports!
tigertattie
Manky-Flanker
aucklandlaurie
compelling and rich
Pal Joey
LeinsterFan4life
Dave.
Luke
Cari
Duty281
mystiroakey
Steffan
westisbest
The Beast
Kenny
20 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread  - Page 6 Empty Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread

Post by Kenny Mon 30 Sep 2013, 4:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

For all things World Cup related post them here .

The Coaches are starting to name their squads with Scotland and Wales naming theirs today

Scotland squad : Gareth Moore (Batley Bulldogs), Danny Addy (Bradford Bulls), Peter Wallace (Brisbane Broncos), Jonathan Walker (Castleford Tigers), Ian Henderson (Catalan Dragons), Ben Hellewell (Featherstone Rovers), David Scott (Featherstone Rovers), Luke Douglas (Gold Coast Titans), Matthew Russell (Gold Coast Titans), Sam Barlow (Halifax), Dale Ferguson (Huddersfield Giants), Danny Brough (Huddersfield Giants), Adam Walker (Hull Kingston Rovers), Ben Fisher (London Broncos), Alex Hurst (London Broncos), Kane Linnett (North Queensland Cowboys), Andrew Henderson (Sheffield Eagles), Mitch Stringer (Sheffield Eagles), Alex Szostak (Sheffield Eagles), Oliver Wilkes (Wakefield Wildcats), Ben Kavanagh (Widnes Vikings), Brett Carter (Workington Town), Brett Phillips (Workington Town).

Wales squad: Neil Budworth (Moranbah Miners, Australia), Ross Divorty (Halifax), Gil Dudson, Ben Flower, Rhodri Lloyd (Wigan Warriors), Jake Emmitt, Jordan James (Salford Red Devils), Ben Evans, Elliot Kear (Bradford Bulls), Rhys Evans, Rhys Williams (Warrington Wolves), Dan Fleming (Castleford Tigers), James Geurtjens (Norths Devils, Australia), Danny Jones (Keighley Cougars), Craig Kopczak, Larne Patrick (Huddersfield Giants) Peter Lupton (Workington Town), Rob Massam, Christiaan Roets (North Wales Crusaders), Matt Seamark (Wynnum Manly Seagulls, Australia), Anthony Walker (St Helens), Ian Webster (Central Queensland Capras, Australia), Lloyd White (Widnes Vikings).

Last edited by Kenny on Sat 11 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread  - Page 6 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread

Post by Pal Joey Sat 30 Nov 2013, 6:29 pm

Cheers mate. OK Ale 

Wallabies playing well too... and those 7s rugby girls beating the Kiwis!
Great weekend for us so far. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread  - Page 6 Empty Re: Rugby League World Cup 2013 Thread

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 01 Dec 2013, 7:41 am

Comgratluations LB, you can call yourselves World champions and rightly so.

Is it fair to say that the Kiwis played their final last weekend against England? if the answer's yes, then that alone does not address the fact (source my TV set) that the Roos just didnt let them have a chance to play, that team is a State of origin All Stars team and we may not see such an accurate team put together for some time.

Australia beat us on the ground, in the air and round the ruck, and then to top it off those quick play the balls drained our attack when trying to defend.

Yes Australia were much better but lets nort use that as an excuse for our poor performance, why did we end up with what I think was Glenn and Goodwin as out centres? Kearney really has  struggled with the concept and role of centres with this team. in fact he always has.

The irony is that  Jarryd Hayne played a game of centre that dragged New Zealand all over the paddock, yet for two years at Parramatta Kearney played him at fullback.

I better stop now before I get really started.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 01 Dec 2013, 9:00 am

Thanks Laurie. guinness 

I was surprised just how well the Roos kept the lid on the Kiwis for the whole game.

I knew they could do it... but wasn't expecting it to unfold like it did. All of those freaky kicks and tries... inches in it every time just about... and they still managed to convert those 1 in 100 situations into points. Their defence was absolutely fearsome as well.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:14 am

It capped off Australia's greatest sporting week and a half for a long time.

Well played Oz.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 02 Dec 2013, 4:34 pm

Overall it seems like the World Cup has been a success , the powers that be now have to take the opportunity and go forward and build on this success not leave things for a year or so then try and capitalize on it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:09 am

Personally would like to see a Northern & Southern hemisphere cup, to groups of 8 then 4,2. To keep the littler nations going, in the public eye and help them improve. Do it in the 2 years between WC's, With a 4 nations the other years.(ie 4 nations, Hemisphere cup, 4 nations wc), split the 4 nation's one in the Southern hemisphere, 1 in the Northern.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 03 Dec 2013, 9:12 am

Good idea tiger, even if it only involved the countruies that didnt make the semi finals or some similar cut off point.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 03 Dec 2013, 9:17 am

Yeah, I'd like that sort of continuity too. We need to keep building the game and do what the IRB is doing with rugby... visiting all parts of all the continents promoting the game and giving out kits to the local kids.

I'd like to see more eastern European and African countries involved. I know SA are behind the 8-ball when it comes to RL but surely they would be made for the game? They have to compete with soccer as well of course.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:19 pm

Now I have had some sleep, should explain/expand my idea.

I would infect have a 5 nations, Australia,New Zealand, England and 2 countries from the Hemisphere it will be held in. With a small tournament to decide which 2. Ie if in Northern, Italy Wales Scotland Ireland France etc. Would personally do this pre season. Of the year the tournament held, then in October/November. hold the tournament. So in 2014 hold it in Southern hemisphere, 2016 Northern Hemisphere. And in 2015 hold the Hemisphere cups, if northern then have for example, England,Wales,France,Ireland,Wales,USA, Italy etc. 2 Groups of 4 play each other once, then semi and final.

This would help keep international RL consistently in the eye, help develop countries while giving them meaningful games and improve standards.

LB,
I know that Russia is having some problems with regards RL, but still have a small league, Ukraine,Holland, Serbia and a few others are also getting a grass roots game going, hopefully in 10 years this will develop but will have to wait and see.
Also couldn't agree more about South Africa, there is a country that's waiting for something like RL, and it could explode if done right. There obviously intrested seeing as they are apparently bidding for the next wc.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:35 pm

Should have added, if this happens then the international calender would shape up (the 2 WC's are if given and to help make it easier for me).

2014 5 Nation's (Southern),
2015 Hemisphere cups.
2016 5 nations (Northern).
2017 WC (Australia),
2018 5 Nations (Northern),
2019 Hemisphere cup
2020 5 Nations (Southern),
2021 WC (like to see France hold it),
2022 5 Nations (Southern),
2023 Hemisphere cup,
2024 5 Nations (Northern).
2025 WC.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:12 pm

really good idea tiger , i would like to see a Great Britain touring team in there somewhere though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:31 am

Could do, instead of 2 5 nations, have 1 tournament, and for the other a full ashes tour instead. So

2014 Ashes & kiwi tour
2015 Hemisphere cup
2016 5 Nations
2017 wc

Repeat.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:34 am

Sorry, should have added, when having tours, the other nations could have the tournament for which 2 would compete in the next 5 nations, and a tournament in the other hemisphere for a trophy.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:21 am

When State of Origin is on, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga could play Island of Origin... now that would be entertaining.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:40 pm

They had a Samoa-Tonga match prior to S.O.O. at Penrith last year but yeah, it would be good to see Fiji play a mini I.O.O. series each year with their neighbours.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:18 pm

The Loaded Dog wrote:They had a Samoa-Tonga match prior to S.O.O. at Penrith last year but yeah, it would be good to see Fiji play a mini I.O.O. series each year with their neighbours.
Yes agree with that 100%

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6