The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground.

+25
kingjohn7
yappysnap
Hound of Harrow
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
Engine#4
bsando
Rangiora
Hood83
andyi
Coleman
Breadvan
whocares
Rory_Gallagher
kingraf
The Saint
FerN
kiakahaaotearoa
GloriousEmpire
mystiroakey
disneychilly
Biltong
Taylorman
emack2
Gunner
29 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground. - Page 4 Empty Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground.

Post by Gunner Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:15 am

First topic message reminder :

Really looking forward to game tomorrow. It dont get much bigger than this for AB or SA fans.
Was somewhat surprised about what a stranglehold SA has had over ABs here.
ABs have a 37% win ratio. Or conversely SA have a 63% success rate since 1928.
3 wins for ABs in 11 games and one of those was in 1928!
On a personal note there are certain matches that stand out in my lifetme.

1. 1976. The first rugby tour of SA I can remember and i think the first with live coverage in NZ. AB loss 15-14.
Dont remember a whole lot about tour or game. Mainly that the grounds seemed like rock hard dust bowls (especially when compared with the muddy bogs I was playing on at the time as a child in dunedin!!) and why didnt Brian Williams or Sid Going not kick goals half as competently as Gerald Bosch!

2. 1992. The "Re-admission Game". AB win  27-24. Just to be playing SA again was almost unbelievable. It was a game that we AB fans thought may never come again. ABs fans saw it as the biggest compliment that SA wanted their first game to be against us at Ellis Park.
First time Id ever really seen a team affected by altitude. SA came back from 27-10 down to nearly win.

3. 1995. RWC Final. Cant/choose not to remember this game. I believe it ended in a certain amount of pain for me!

I could go on but....

I cant believe ABs havent played here since 2004.

Should be a cracker.
Lets hope game is remembered for all the right reasons.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground. - Page 4 Empty Re: Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:40 pm

Poor discipline and Franks gets his marching orders for 10.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground. - Page 4 Empty Re: Ellis Park. The ultimate ABs bogey ground.

Post by Taylorman Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:41 pm

A word about Owens...absolutely fantastic reffing display today under this pressure.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:41 pm

Nigel Owens has reffed this wonderfully, one of the best for many years well done both sides.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:41 pm

Franks you idiot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

Agree Tman, Owens has done very well

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

The gap between ZAR, NZ and the rest is alarming...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:43 pm

The rankings say these are the 2 best sides in the world and this game has put that beyond debate!!

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:43 pm

Hansen will be throwing his own stiff arms in the dressing room after seeing that. Get a man off and now it's another. The second one has no excuses or justification. He will get a hiding for nothing after that stupidity.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:43 pm

As a neutral I feel I can comment, and it's probably the best officiating performance I've seen. I'm not saying it because Nige is Welsh! I'm especially impressed with him allowing the game to flow, and his collaboration with his assistant's and TMO.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:43 pm

What a player Read

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:44 pm

Brilliant try!! Great move ABs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:44 pm

Wow, how did NZ score again?!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:45 pm

What a try! Man down and Read and Savea work havoc again. You can't put that down to poor defence. It's great attack. I've run out of superlatives. The neighbours have called the police as they think somebody was being murdered in my flat.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:47 pm

The Saint wrote:As a neutral I feel I can comment, and it's probably the best officiating performance I've seen. I'm not saying it because Nige is Welsh! I'm especially impressed with him allowing the game to flow, and his collaboration with his assistant's and TMO.
This game needs to recognise not only the efforts of NZ and SA but Nigel Owens as well. We all harp on about poor officiating so we need to congratulate the ref when he gets it right. clap 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:47 pm

Let this be a lesson - altitude is only wn advantage when half your team isnt based at sea level!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

I'm knackered watching this, god alone knows how the players are keeping it going, what fitness

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:53 pm

Safe to say Kirchner has not had a great second Half
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:53 pm

What a sperm TK. Nonu does a great to rip the ball and he goes blind side.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:54 pm

One more minute until Franks back on. Hopefully with visible slap marks on his face.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:One more minute until Franks back on. Hopefully with visible slap marks on his face.
+1

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

What a tackle

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

This game!! Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:58 pm

What a tackle from Barrett. His try wasn't enough to make up for it. That was. clap 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 05 Oct 2013, 5:58 pm

my god barrett...ref with cramp as well...one of the greatest tests Ive ever seen...breathless watching it...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

Nigel Owens deserves a round of applause for his input today

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

Well played NZ, great game.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

Meyer is yet to get wthin 7 pts of the ABs, correct? For all the guff written about de Villiers, at least he won a few
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:05 pm

Best game of rugby i've seen for a long time

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:06 pm

Is finishing on 28 points a first?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:07 pm

Both teams and the officials.

clap

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Sadly this game deserved that try to be scored to give us hope. The game ends though as it was played with throughout. End to end stuff. I can't help but stand up and salute both sides and the ref for an absolute incredible game of rugby. I fear the next game we watch will pale in comparison compared to this today.

We got what we wanted. A fair contest with both sides, number and number two, going toe to toe. I applaud SA for entering this game giving it their all. If the game wasn't a five point game maybe we wouldn't have seen this kind of game and for that very reason I am glad we got. Hand on backs to both teams. Rugby at its best. I feel so happy to have witnessed that but I know the SA team must be gutted. Hold your heads up high. You have sent out a message that SA rugby has it all and can foot it with NZ. I have ploughed my way through the beers and I am going to get absolutely wrecked tonight. Thank you rugby gods for putting on this display today. To the SA posters, hold your heads up high and know that your team is capable of beating NZ. The two best teams out there today and provided us with a game that defies explanation. Thank you mighty Bokke. That was lekker. clap 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Top game. So it's still the ABs - gap - Boks -gap - everyone else I think. If the Boks work out how to defend as well as attack in a single game, they may start getting closer to the ABs.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:11 pm

Well done Read.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:14 pm

JDV hats off to you sir for a great tournament and a great game tonight.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:18 pm

Unbeaten in RC games. Game at Ellis Park. SA showed the way how to outdo a hoodoo at Brisbane. Ellis Park and Richie in his first game there. No way he was 100 per cent fit but Read and Messam stepped up and eased the burden. I'm off to a BBQ as I've run out of superlatives. Thanks again to SA and a great occasion. No doubt as to who our main threat is.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:20 pm

Yes the SA defence was always going to be an issue, but they countered it with brilliant tries of their own.

This is a new SA and if this is what we can expect from here then we are being well looked after in this sport.

Whew...1956 with Peter Jones...1981 with the plane and everytinh else...1995 with the world cup and now this...yet another memorable match vs the boks...

Well done ABs, well done boks and well done Ngel Owens...this is why we love this game!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:22 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes the SA defence was always going to be an issue, but they countered it with brilliant tries of their own.

This is a new SA and if this is what we can expect from here then we are being well looked after in this sport.

Whew...1956 with Peter Jones...1981 with the plane and everytinh else...1995 with the world cup and now this...yet another memorable match vs the boks...

Well done ABs, well done boks and well done Ngel Owens...this is why we love this game!
thumbsup somehow Worcester v Newcastle doesn't promise to be quite as gripping.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 05 Oct 2013, 6:37 pm

Frak hell. I am knackered just watching that.

How the Poopie do we in the North expect to keep up with these two teams? The skills, the commitment, the tries. It was truly amazing to watch.

Probably the best game i've watched in...jeez a long time!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 05 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

Oh yee of little Faith,just come in seen the score,could`nt believe it ABs by 11 points 5 tries
to 4.Well done both sides especially the Boks just couldn't see them scoring 4 tries still just
shows hoodoo`s are there to be broken.4Ns 6-0 and another bonus point more important
a win for me never expected.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 05 Oct 2013, 7:05 pm

You missed the game emack!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm

I said on the GE's tabloid thread, that peak for peak, the ABs are better than us. I think this game was the best both teams played the entire year, post RWC, tbh, and I was proven correct. Habana may just be the greatest bok backline player ever (as good as du Preez is, Habana is just special) and his absence was felt for the last hour.

Will Meyer ever beat the ABs? Can JdV hang on until RWC 2015? Will Richie McCaw win another POTY for just being around?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 05 Oct 2013, 7:15 pm

The game was set up for an open one though graf.. Not trying to bring you down or anything. It was the best game of rugby that i can remember. But will SA play so expansively when they don't need to?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 05 Oct 2013, 7:24 pm

I genuinely though we would lose unless the Kiwis were at 95%, Mystir. Sure we were too expansive, or rather more expansive than might ordinarily be the case, but they stripped us to pieces at will. We might be bigger, and nastier, but the chasm in skill level is still there, even if it's narrowing. A guy like Kolisi should start ahead of Alberts if we are trying to run it, imo. Faster, with better hands.

In the end, it was a mighty fine match. The best Test I've since the 2009 Lions series, but I'm under no illusions as to who the better is. In nearly twenty years post-apartheid, we have won just three tests in NZ, they have won that many in SA in their last four tests here...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 05 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

Great game from both teams. Well done All Blacks, just awesome as usual. thumbsup 

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 05 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The game was set up for an open one though graf.. Not trying to bring you down or anything. It was the best game of rugby that i can remember. But will SA play so expansively when they don't need to?
Mistake to play Steyn at 10 for the game plan. He was a liability on defense and bombed a certain try. He's just not the man the control a match like that.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 05 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

been saying that for years- same with kirshner. For the amount of ball the two will be getting the skill levels in terms of options and creating chances are just too limited- Vermuelens and Louw had better vision on the pass, offloading etc.

That and defence were the only let downs. They scored four tries and could have got a couple more at least, and had they stopped the easy pre half time try they could have got there. the stopping of le roux at 50 minutes was the end of some crazy rugby. This was also the abs at their very best so the boks are clearly within reach of that and more.

SA rugby must be excited about whats to come over the next couple of years.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm

Hood83 wrote:Top game. So it's still the ABs - gap - Boks -gap - everyone else I think. If the Boks work out how to defend as well as attack in a single game, they may start getting closer to the ABs.

Well theres ABs - big gap - then the rest. We'll know more about where the Boks are after the november internationals.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm

What on earth are you talking about? NZ are the only team in the world that could have remotely lived with SA today. 

Make no mistake that SA have been very very compelling in this years tournament. What we saw today was that effectively the 14 man game at Eden Park was not far from the 15 man version today. It takes a great side to pull that off.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:39 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:What on earth are you talking about? NZ are the only team in the world that could have remotely lived with SA today. 

Make no mistake that SA have been very very compelling in this years tournament. What we saw today was that effectively the 14 man game at Eden Park was not far from the 15 man version today. It takes a great side to pull that off.

We'll see.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm

Forgot to say, Congratulations All Blacks clap. I get tired of saying that.

Looks like it's only England and food poisoning standing in your way of glory... Whistle 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next