The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 6

+19
superflyweight
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Stella
ChequeredJersey
The Womble
Dolphin Ziggler
The Boss
compelling and rich
Hero
Il Gialloblu
Galted
JuliusHMarx
TopHat24/7
bhb001
Union Cane
Rowley
Scottrf
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
23 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title.

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap5%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap13%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 10 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
[ 4 ]
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap9%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 7 ]
[ 7 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 76

Poll closed

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Empty The Culture Cup round 6

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 7 Oct - 11:17

First topic message reminder :

I said it would be Monday morning and, like my milkman, I always deliver.  So here is round 6 of quite possibly the most exciting tournament ever.  Before we move on to round 6 and the poll for 'The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title' lets have a look at what you could have won in round 5.

Round 5 saw the poll for 'Best piece of literature with a name in the title' and threw up some classic works of literature and no small measure of controversy with the 'missing' and 'reappearing' votes scandal throwing the integrity of the whole competition into doubt.  With the mystery still unsolved and the 'missing' votes no closer to being found, I have made the decision to move on, forget the past and continue the competition.  At least I am a man of extremely high integrity and moral fibre so we can proceed safe in the knowledge that the Culture Cup is still on the level.  I have my finest man (Wingrove) on the case to try and find out what happened but until then, lets move forward in peace.

Round 5 was an interesting one with the votes being split across the board resulting in many posters claiming a decent points haul.  Using my complicated results algorithm, you would have only needed to get 1 vote in this round to get 7 points.  Sot its bad luck to Union who received no votes, no points and has subsequently seen his already slim chance of winning almost certainly disappear for good.  What makes it worse it that he had some votes before 'votegate'.  Life can be so cruel.  Hero continues to be Mr Consistent and remains on top of the Christmas tree, just as a fairy should be.  Julius had a stunning reversal in fortune with his pick of Macbeth claiming top spot for this round.  A fair few posters picked up 10 points and at the half way point, the league is still within grasp for a fair few posters.  Here are the runners and riders;

Hero (A Streetcar Named Desire): (10) 46
compelling & rich (Schindler's List): (9): 42
seanmichaels (Oliver Twist): (9) 38
Adam (A Christmas Carol): (10) 37
Azzy (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes): (10) 33
onlytreblewinners (Frankenstein): (10) 32
TopHat (Romeo and Juliet): (10) 32
Galted (The World According to Garp): (7) 30
The Womble (Matilda): (10) 31
Rowley (The Picture of Dorian Grey): (10) 29
superflyweight (The Great Gatsby): (9) 29
Dolphin (Winnie the Pooh): (9) 26
The Boss (Gulliver's Travels): (10) 26
bhb (Hamlet): (7) 25
ChequeredJersey (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn): (8) 24
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Count of Monte Cristo): (8) 23
Julius ( Macbeth): (12) 22
Union (Horace) (0) 19

Round 7 is back to films and the question is this: Name the greatest film actor or actress born in the same year as you Best film originally released in the decade of your birth.  You can, of course, lie if you want to but I doubt any of you are that precious.  I will leave it up to your conscience but please PM a couple of choices.

Here is the poll for round 6 and remember, it is open for the whole forum to vote!

PLEASE ONLY VOTE FOR 2 NOMINATIONS
 I don't think it will survive another voting scandal.

PLEASE SEE EDITED QUESTION FOR THE NEXT ROUND

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Mon 7 Oct - 17:01; edited 2 times in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 6 - Page 9 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 6

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 14:21

I think amongst other things I once stole a ruler with a list of the kings of England on it. This was at Carrisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight. The gift shop took a beating that day as it was a big group.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 10 Oct - 14:21

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
The Womble wrote:
Yes I stole a rubber once. It was one of those luminous rubbers that was sh*t actually rubbing out.
Best thing about having children.  I say "come and hold this for Daddy, it's an important job".  Leave em for 5 minutes, tell them we have to go, we leave the shop and they're still holding whatever you gave them.

Works with luminous rubbers, pencils, chocolate bars, wine.

Thanks for the parental pearls of wisdom Tino. I'll remember that next time I go to a shop with my daughter.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 14:22

The Womble wrote:
Yes I stole a rubber once. It was one of those luminous rubbers that was sh*t actually rubbing out.
Best thing about having children.  I say "come and hold this for Daddy, it's an important job".  Leave em for 5 minutes, tell them we have to go, we leave the shop and they're still holding whatever you gave them.

Laugh

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 14:24

The Womble wrote:

They're pretty useful as ballast when hot-air-ballooning as well.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 10 Oct - 14:47

picard 

Last edited by Union Cane on Thu 10 Oct - 14:52; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 14:51

They weigh as much as 4-5 big elephants, you know.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 14:54

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:They weigh as much as 4-5 big elephants, you know.
That's quite a useless reference point for people who grew up around little elephants when you think about it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 14:56

Union Cane wrote:The dinosaur skeleton in the film is actually an Apatosaurus.
Such a geek..... (We are both correct though)

Hettie and Emily enlist other nannies to help them search. They hide in the mouth of the blue whale display until after closing time and then begin looking over the skeleton of an Apatosaurus (referred to as a Brontosaurus). They are unsuccessful, and most have to return home to care for their children, but Hettie, Emily and their friend Susan remain to continue with the search. They are captured and taken to the spies' London headquarters, underneath a Chinese restaurant in Soho. The nannies are locked up in the 'dungeon', with Lord Southmere. Fortunately, the nannies are able to outwit their captors and escape.

Meanwhile, the spies have decided to steal the dinosaur, so they can search it properly. That night, they trick their way into the museum. The three nannies follow on a motorbike and sidecar and watch from the shadows. After the Chinese load the Apatosaurus skeleton on the back of their steam lorry, the nannies steal the vehicle. The spies give chase through the foggy streets of London in their charabanc and a Daimler limousine, but the nannies drive into a railway goods yard, onto a flat wagon at the back of a train, and are carried off to safety.

The nannies fail to find the microfilm on the skeleton. Meanwhile, back in London, Hettie's two young charges, Lord Castlebury and his younger brother, Truscott, have been captured by the spies. They are taken to the museum and the chief spy retrieves the microfilm from the other large dinosaur, a Diplodocus skeleton. The two boys are allowed home and tell Nanny Hettie the news.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 14:58

seanmichaels wrote:

Hettie and Emily enlist other nannies to help them search. They hide in the mouth of the blue whale display until after closing time and then begin looking over the skeleton of an Apatosaurus (referred to as a Brontosaurus). They are unsuccessful, and most have to return home to care for their children, but Hettie, Emily and their friend Susan remain to continue with the search. They are captured and taken to the spies' London headquarters, underneath a Chinese restaurant in Soho. The nannies are locked up in the 'dungeon', with Lord Southmere. Fortunately, the nannies are able to outwit their captors and escape.

Meanwhile, the spies have decided to steal the dinosaur, so they can search it properly. That night, they trick their way into the museum. The three nannies follow on a motorbike and sidecar and watch from the shadows. After the Chinese load the Apatosaurus skeleton on the back of their steam lorry, the nannies steal the vehicle. The spies give chase through the foggy streets of London in their charabanc and a Daimler limousine, but the nannies drive into a railway goods yard, onto a flat wagon at the back of a train, and are carried off to safety.

The nannies fail to find the microfilm on the skeleton. Meanwhile, back in London, Hettie's two young charges, Lord Castlebury and his younger brother, Truscott, have been captured by the spies. They are taken to the museum and the chief spy retrieves the microfilm from the other large dinosaur, a Diplodocus skeleton. The two boys are allowed home and tell Nanny Hettie the news.

If it came down to the Chinese v the nannies in real-life I'd tend to favour the Chinese.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 14:59

Galted wrote:
That's quite a useless reference point for people who grew up around little elephants when you think about it.
I offered to show one of the girls at work my little elephant impression t'other day. She said no.

She is Ukrainian though so it might have got lost in translation.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 15:00

Galted wrote:
I offered to show one of the girls at work my little elephant impression t'other day. She said no.

Do you work in a brothel?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:02

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Are you suggesting that all Eastern European women in London are prostitutes?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 15:02

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Only the ones I've met.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 15:04

Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

If it came down to the Chinese v the nannies in real-life I'd tend to favour the Chinese.
Funny you should say that

Realising that Lord Southmere is now in danger, Hettie organises a rescue. Hettie and her team of nannies invade the Chinese restaurant base and battle with the spies over Lord Southmere. Meanwhile, Emily and Susan return with the Apatosaurus and the lorry and bring the fight sequence to a shattering conclusion. Everything ends well and the secret of the mysterious "Lotus X" is finally revealed.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:05

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Only the ones I've met.
Laugh 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 15:07

seanmichaels wrote:Funny you should say that

Realising that Lord Southmere is now in danger, Hettie organises a rescue. Hettie and her team of nannies invade the Chinese restaurant base and battle with the spies over Lord Southmere. Meanwhile, Emily and Susan return with the Apatosaurus and the lorry and bring the fight sequence to a shattering conclusion. Everything ends well and the secret of the mysterious "Lotus X" is finally revealed.
Didn't realise that it was based on a true story (a mate of mine whose dad knew the Krays goes pretty pale when he talks about the fights between Hettie and her team of nannies and the Chinese spies).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 15:09

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:This is turning into a jurassically funny thread.
Apt given this round is so old now it's almost fossilised

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 10 Oct - 15:13

Richard Attenborough has taken resin from this threads amberized form and created Culturassic Park in Costa Rica where people drive in jeeps around polls.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 10 Oct - 15:14

Any hopes of seeing Round 7 Tino before we all die?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Oct - 15:19

Culture takes time to grow.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:22

At 13:29

Adam D wrote: TyranaGOREus Tex?
Then at 15:13

Adam D wrote:Richard Attenborough has taken resin from this threads amberized form and created Culturassic Park in Costa Rica where people drive in jeeps around polls.
That's an awful long time to come up with another pun.

@ Womble: I have only got Dolphins nomination in the last 30 minutes.  It will be up tomorrow morning for some Friday fun.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 15:25

How many rounds are there?

I'm off to Cambodia for 2 weeks from Sunday......might make it back for round 8 I suppose!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Oct - 15:27

TopHat24/7 wrote:How many rounds are there?

I'm off to Cambodia for 2 weeks from Sunday......might make it back for round 8 I suppose!
Plenty of time

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:28

There is supposed to be 12, 3 x literature, 3 x film, 3 x TV and 3 x music. Although maybe that is too many.

I could PM you the next few questions if you'd like?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Oct - 15:31

There is supposed to be 12, 3 x literature, 3 x film, 3 x TV and 3 x music.  Although maybe that is too many.

What happens when you change them?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:35

JuliusHMarx wrote:

There is supposed to be 12, 3 x literature, 3 x film, 3 x TV and 3 x music.  Although maybe that is too many.

I'll make up a nomination for TopHat. I will think of the worst possible thing I can for him. Some British film funded by Bob Crow and staring a previously unemployed immigrant who has 8 kids and enjoys Sky TV.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 15:45

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I'll make up a nomination for TopHat.  I will think of the worst possible thing I can for him.  Some British film funded by Bob Crow and staring a previously unemployed immigrant who has 8 kids and enjoys Sky TV.
The question is about films, not documentaries.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 10 Oct - 15:48

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Ouch! That is a low blow.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:48

TopHat24/7 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

I'll make up a nomination for TopHat.  I will think of the worst possible thing I can for him.  Some British film funded by Bob Crow and staring a previously unemployed immigrant who has 8 kids and enjoys Sky TV.
Do you want the next questions or not?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:49

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

I'm used to it, beadle. Julius has been relentless in his nitpicking and digs. I put it down to his age. My grandfather is the same.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 10 Oct - 15:52

Just had a thought about the next round. Presumably I should be voting for what I consider to be the best film originally released in the decade of my birth.

So, if Ladyhawke or Top Gun are up there I will not be able to vote for them, as they are not from the decade etc etc.

Is that right?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 15:53

TopHat24/7 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Ok, go on then....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:54

Union Cane wrote:Just had a thought about the next round. Presumably I should be voting for what I consider to be the best film originally released in the decade of my birth.

So, if Ladyhawke or Top Gun are up there I will not be able to vote for them, as they are not from the decade etc etc.

Is that right?
Just vote for 2 films that you like.

Ladyhawke and Top Gun are not in it so you should be fine.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:55

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Ok, go on then....
I'll PM you. Even though you don't deserve my kindness.

raspberry 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Oct - 15:56

JuliusHMarx wrote:

I'm used to it, beadle.  Julius has been relentless in his nitpicking and digs.  I put it down to his age.  My grandfather is the same.
So is your grandmother.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 15:58

JuliusHMarx wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

I'm used to it, beadle.  Julius has been relentless in his nitpicking and digs.  I put it down to his age.  My grandfather is the same.
So is your grandmother.
They're all dead, actually.

Sad 

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 10 Oct - 16:01

Oh. Sorry.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 10 Oct - 16:02

JuliusHMarx wrote:Oh. Sorry.
That's alright, it was a long time ago. I'd actually forgotten about them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 16:07

Business or under age s3x?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 16:10

Both.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 16:11

Laugh 

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 10 Oct - 16:31

seanmichaels wrote:

Perfect holiday for top hat, no shortage of poor people to sneer at.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 16:47

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Perfect holiday for top hat, no shortage of poor people to sneer at.
No welfare system to get angry at tho, so it's a balance.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 10 Oct - 16:56

I always imagine these oriental places smell of fish. Only really been to the airport transit lounge in Tokyo, that smelt like fish so kind of backs up my theory.

Maybe IG can throw some weight to the discussion.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 17:02

Been to Singapore, Malayasia, Thailand and HK before. All good, none fishy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 10 Oct - 17:03

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

Ok, go on then....
I'll PM you.  Even though you don't deserve my kindness.

raspberry 
Are you going to then or too busy pushing poor African countries into greater debt by short selling all their metal & mineral deposits??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 10 Oct - 17:32

Wingrove's thinking of invading the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Tuesday if anyone's up for it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 10 Oct - 17:42

Whens the bloody next round going up?! Werent like this in my day...

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 11 Oct - 8:09

Galted wrote:Wingrove's thinking of invading the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Tuesday if anyone's up for it.
Is he thinking of invading Trojan Horse style by hiding himself in a house sized carton of Um Bongo?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 11 Oct - 8:17

There was a programme on last night about the Congo. Had Dan Snow racing down some river talking about the Portuguese and how they were the first Westerners to arrive on the countries small Atlantic coastline.

That's all I can remember, it was quite late and I was in and out of sleep. No mention of Wingrove.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next