The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club

+16
Good Golly I'm Olly
MIG
TopoftheChops
Roller_Coaster
The Womble
sodhat
CFCNick
Kay Fabe
compelling and rich
westisbest
Luke
NickisBHAFC
VDT
Dolphin Ziggler
Nakatomi Plaza
hbk48942
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club  - Page 2 Empty Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club

Post by hbk48942 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

title says it all

for Bolton

Goal Keeper - got to be Jussi but Al Habsi is a close second.

Defender - Gudni Berguson and Gary Cahill

Midfield - either Kevin Nolan , Ivan Campo or Gary Speed , Jay Jay Okacha

Striker - Anelka but Kevin Davies is up there too.

Last edited by hbk48942 on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

hbk48942

Back to top Go down

Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club  - Page 2 Empty Re: Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club

Post by TopoftheChops Tue 15 Oct 2013, 2:56 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
TopoftheChops wrote:Ipswich Town

Richard Wright
My most hated footballer of all time. I hope he breaks both his legs. On a side note, Gareth McAuley has been a revelation for us Smile
What's wrong with Wrighty?

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club  - Page 2 Empty Re: Best GK , Defender , Midfielder and Striker you've had at your club

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

I've seen highlights, the Bayern match is in full on youtube seen that. We were pretty good, shame it all fell apart really.

We won't West unless we get one of these billionaire owners. I cling onto the hope of a cup win, or a European adventure. Sadly that's pretty much as good as it'll get in terms of winning things (unless we end up back in League 1, then the JPT baby!)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

Damn good side back then the old yellers. Good to watch.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Olly, you have probably seen it but watch the 1st goal on the below video. Ruel Fox crosses it, Jeremy Goss Powers it in. Absolute class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6I
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

Jeremy Goss. What a hero. Loves a volley. Last goalscorer in front of the standing kop at Anfield as well.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

Richard Wright
My most hated footballer of all time. I hope he breaks both his legs. On a side note, Gareth McAuley has been a revelation for us Smile
Broke Luc Nilis's leg and ended his career. Belgium's finest ever striker, a broken man thanks to Mr Monkey Face. If I ever meet Richard Wright, I am going in two footed with my studs up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

The Womble wrote:Olly, you have probably seen it but watch the 1st goal on the below video. Ruel Fox crosses it, Jeremy Goss Powers it in. Absolute class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyr6vk7U_hE

He only scores screamers!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:15 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
TopoftheChops wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

Richard Wright
Broke Luc Nilis's leg and ended his career. Belgium's finest ever striker, a broken man thanks to Mr Monkey Face. If I ever meet Richard Wright, I am going in two footed with my studs up.
Nilis was a great player but that was a complete accident. Wright wasn't to blame for the incident.

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:16 pm

The Womble wrote:Olly, you have probably seen it but watch the 1st goal on the below video. Ruel Fox crosses it, Jeremy Goss Powers it in. Absolute class!

Those goals are 20 years old.  And I remember them all.  I feel old Sad

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:16 pm

Olly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyr6vk7U_hE

He only scores screamers!
Cracking goal, how young does David James look in that!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:16 pm

MIG wrote:

Those goals are 20 years old.  And I remember them all.  I feel old Sad
Sh*t isn't it MIG!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:Nilis was a great player but that was a complete accident. Wright wasn't to blame for the incident.
Tell that to Belgium and Villa fans. He was careless. Came out with no regard for the player. Just crunched into him because hey, no-one is allowed to go near keepers.

I am so glad that guy has had a wasted career.

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:18 pm

I loved football so much more back then though.  That Le Tissier goal is one of the best ever I think.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:25 pm

TopoftheChops wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:
TopoftheChops wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

Richard Wright
Nilis was a great player but that was a complete accident. Wright wasn't to blame for the incident.
Nillis, remember he played with us for a bit, thats when he broke his leg idf I remember correctly.
Scored that wonder Volley, against Ipswich was'nt it.

Erm Benteke is Belgium's finest ever striker:)

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

Actually think it was against Chelsea at home.

The goal that is.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:30 pm

Westy, Benteke doesn't even crack the top 10 Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:32 pm

Love one of the comments under the Youtube GotS clip.

'Great year for goals. Not for shirts'

The Norwich one was certainly ghastly, while the Arsenal change one was not one of their finest. Didn't mind the Man U yellow and green one though.

Some belters - Wright's chip, Rod Wallace, Le Tissier (although it may not have even been his best goal in that game - IIRC he also scored a screamer of a volley).

Of the 10 goals to make the list, only one was scored by a non-British player (Cantona). 20 years on and it will be no surprise if this year's Goal of the season contenders include no British goal scorers.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

I'm going to tweak this thread a bit, i hope HBK doesn't mind. This is who I think are the best at the 'Big Clubs' from my lifetime.

Arsenal:
GK - Seaman - no contest
DF - Adams
MD - Limpar
ST - Wrighty. Very closely followed by Henry.

Man U:
GK - Van Der Sar. Controversial!!
DF - G Neville
MD - Giggs
ST - Cole

Chelsea:
GK - Cech
DF - Cole
MD - Essien
ST - Zola

Liverpool:
GK - Reina
DF - Hansen
MD - Beardsley
ST - Fowler

Tottenham:
GK - Sullivan Smile
DF - Carr
MD - Sherwood
ST - Sheringham

Any of these teams fans agree or am I way off the mark?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

I'd have Overmars over Limpar.
Schmeichel over Van Der Sar.
Ronaldo over Giggs.
Lampard over Essien.
Hasselbaink over Zola (purely for goals)
As for Tottenham.  Sherwood is one of the worst players I've ever seen.  And Carr?!  And Sullivan?  What?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

Yeh I would probably go with Lampard over Essien actually. Forgot about old Frank. Overmars was class, I just remember Limpar being brilliant. Would never pick Ronaldo over Giggs.

As for Spurs, I was scraping the barrel with Sherwood. He was good but my mind went blank and I couldn't think of anyone else. I always thought Carr was a good defender, now I think maybe I'd have Assou-Ekotto in there instead. As for Sully, that was tongue-in-cheek.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:50 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Westy, Benteke doesn't even crack the top 10 Laugh
Give him time:)

I was a fan of Mpenza

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 3:53 pm

I'd say Vertonghen and Bale are already better than Carr and Sherwood.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:00 pm

Cole (A) up front for United?

IMO - awful footballer. Van Horsetilroy over him, surely. Hughes better.

Possibly even Gary Birtles (spelling...) Run

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

Bale! picard Cannot believe I couldn't think of Bale.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:07 pm

And do you think Carr is better than Jan Vertonghen, Ledley King or Sol Campbell?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:11 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Cole (A) up front for United?

It was a toss up between Cole and Van Shergar but for me Cole just nicks it. I know RVN had a better goals to game ratio but I thought Cole was a better player. His partnership with Yorke and to a degree Sheringham as well was awesome. Plus Cole was a much better rapper than Van Nistelrooy!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:15 pm

MIG wrote:And do you think Carr is better than Jan Vertonghen, Ledley King or Sol Campbell?
No, I hold my hands up. Carr was a poor choice. Assou-Ekotto is a better defender than Vertonghen though. King and Campbell were a bit over rated. Good players but not great players.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:24 pm

The Womble wrote:Assou-Ekotto is a better defender than Vertonghen though.
I will never listen to your opinion on football, ever again Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:28 pm

I was going to start arguing how I think Campbell and King were very good defenders but they fact that you think Assou Ekotto and Stephen Carr are two of Spurs' all time best defenders makes me lose all enthusiasm!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
The Womble wrote:Assou-Ekotto is a better defender than Vertonghen though.
I will never listen to your opinion on football, ever again Laugh
He is. Trust me, he's criminally under-rated.

To be fair, I am a Wimbledon fan. I think Vinnie Jones was good.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:33 pm

Gary Mabbutt was better than all of them anyway, let's quit bickering.

Sheringham over Klinsmann or Lineker? And Sherwood over Bale has been mentioned, but also over Gazza or Ginola?

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:34 pm

The Womble wrote:

It was a toss up between Cole and Van Shergar but for me Cole just nicks it. I know RVN had a better goals to game ratio but I thought Cole was a better player. His partnership with Yorke and to a degree Sheringham as well was awesome. Plus Cole was a much better rapper than Van Nistelrooy!
Please can we have some consisency with the insulting names - he was always known as Ruud van Nostrilboy on the original 606 Wink 

I'd probably cheat and say Ronaldo was the best Man U forward of the PL years - certainly in his last couple of seasons he was playing more as a central attacker than as a winger. Lets you then have the argument as to who of Giggs, Scholes and Beckham was the best midfielder.

Cole was a great club player but never transfered it to international level. Same could be said of Ian Wright, and he is clearly a legend to Arsenal and Palace fans, although rating him higher than either Bergkamp or Henry needs some special pleading.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:36 pm

MIG wrote:I was going to start arguing how I think Campbell and King were very good defenders but they fact that you think Assou Ekotto and Stephen Carr are two of Spurs' all time best defenders makes me lose all enthusiasm!
When did I say 'all time best'?? I said from my lifetime and I have already said that Carr was the wrong choice, I held my hands up to that. You won't change my mind on Assou Ekotto though.

Spurs haven't had to many world class defenders anyway.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:39 pm

dummy_half wrote:
The Womble wrote:

Please can we have some consisency with the insulting names - he was always known as Ruud van Nostrilboy on the original 606 Wink 

I'd probably cheat and say Ronaldo was the best Man U forward of the PL years - certainly in his last couple of seasons he was playing more as a central attacker than as a winger. Lets you then have the argument as to who of Giggs, Scholes and Beckham was the best midfielder.

Cole was a great club player but never transfered it to international level. Same could be said of Ian Wright, and he is clearly a legend to Arsenal and Palace fans, although rating him higher than either Bergkamp or Henry needs some special pleading.
Personally I would choose Giggs but I know most people would choose Scholes.

I put those lists up to create debate, which it certainly has done!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:40 pm

I agree with you on that, they've had some decent defenders but no world beaters.

I'd say Sherwood as your midfield pick is perhaps even more shocking though, considering the names that have been brought up since, Bale, Gazza, Ginola etc.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:42 pm

Yeh and like I said earlier. My mind was a blank when trying to think of Spurs players, hence why the poor picks!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:43 pm

To be fair I didn't think of Gazza either.  How can anyone forget Gazza?!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:44 pm

Bergkamp > Henry > Wright is the order most Gooners would have it, if they can remember back to c.1990. Wrighty came in and scored tons, but it was Bergkamp's arrival in '95 that began the transformation back into title winners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

The Womble wrote:I'm going to tweak this thread a bit, i hope HBK doesn't mind. This is who I think are the best at the 'Big Clubs' from my lifetime.

Arsenal:
GK - Seaman - no contest
DF - Adams
MD - Limpar
ST - Wrighty. Very closely followed by Henry.

Man U:
GK - Van Der Sar. Controversial!!
DF - G Neville
MD - Giggs
ST - Cole

Chelsea:
GK - Cech
DF - Cole
MD - Essien
ST - Zola

Liverpool:
GK - Reina
DF - Hansen
MD - Beardsley
ST - Fowler

Tottenham:
GK - Sullivan Smile
DF - Carr
MD - Sherwood
ST - Sheringham

Any of these teams fans agree or am I way off the mark?
I'll put my Arsenal side in to answer you Womble,

You right on the money with Seaman in goal. I reckon between 96-98 only Schmeichel was a better keeper in the world.

Adams would obviously skipper the side. Lee Dixon edges out Sagna at right back, and Winterburn would be my left back. Ashley Cole's was a far more talented player, but the way he departed the club left a sour taste in the mouth. Kolo Toure would partner Adams.

I'm surprised you've gone for Limpar as the best midfielder. Bloody talented player though, remember him doing a Beckham before Beckham when he lobbed Mike Hooper from near the halfway line, but he was maddeningly inconsistent. The best left sided player I've seen at Arsenal is Robert Pires. Patrick Vieira would play centre mid alongside Cesc Fabregas. On the right I'd go for my childhood hero David Rocastle.

Up front, I can't find room for Wrighty. Bergkamp and Henry would walk in.

Seaman
Dixon
Adams (c)
Toure
Winterburn
Rocastle
Vieira
Fabregas
Pires
Bergkamp
Henry
Subs
Lehmann
Sagna
Bould
Wright
Merson
Ljungberg
Petit

Last edited by Nakatomi Plaza on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

Wright was amazing though.  Unfortunately I remember him scoring some absolute corkers against Everton.
They are 3 truly great strikers.  Bergkamp might be the most skilful player I have seen, at least in the Prem.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:50 pm

Seaman
Dixon - Keown - Adams - Cole
Ljungberg - Vieira - Petit - Pires
Bergkamp - Henry

With: Lehmann, Campbell, Winterburn, Merson, Overmars, Fabregas, Wright as the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

How can people not have Overmars in their Arsenal teams?  He tore people apart!
I know Pires was amazing but they were both so good I'd have to make room for both of them.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

Seaman
Dixon  Keown  Adams  Winterburn
Vieira
Overmars  Bergkamp  Pires
Wright  Henry

Slightly attacking line up but we are talking fantasy here!

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct 2013, 4:58 pm

MIG wrote:
Seaman
Dixon  Keown  Adams  Winterburn
Vieira
Overmars  Bergkamp  Pires
Wright  Henry

Slightly attacking line up but we are talking fantasy here!
Arsenal might well play that now. Imagine trying to stop that forward 5, and even if you somehow do, to then breakdown that back 6. Impossible.

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Seaman
Bergkamp - Henry

With: Lehmann, Campbell, Winterburn, Merson, Overmars, Fabregas, Wright as the bench.
I'd probably swap Campbell for Keown and Overmars for Freddie, but there's not much to choose either way. Viera and Petit must be the best central midfield pairing to have graced the Premiership (fewer weaknesses than Keane and Scholes, and more likely to finish with both of them not sent off). Pity Petit didn't stay around for a couple of years longer.

Has anyone done a Liverpool XI yet? How about:
GK - Clemence (more consistent but less spectacular than Dropelaar)
RB - Phil Neal One of the great forgotten men
LB - Steve Staunton
CB - Hansen
CB - Hyypia
RW -
CM - Souness
CM - Gerrard
LW - John Barnes
CF - Dalglish (Keegan was a little before my time, Beardsley also deserves thinking about)
CF - Torres. For a couple of years at Liverpool he was devastating. Captain Beaky may have scored more goals, but Torres was a better footballer

Struggling for a right winger (well, there aren't many in Liverpool, where Derek Hatton was considered a moderate Wink  ). Would love to find a way of slotting Jan Molby into the side - the finest footballer to never leave the centre circle.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:21 pm

It's easy for Liverpool RW. Vladimir Smicer the legend. Or Jermaine Pennant.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 15 Oct 2013, 5:35 pm

dummy_half wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:Seaman
Bergkamp - Henry

I'd probably swap Campbell for Keown and Overmars for Freddie, but there's not much to choose either way. Viera and Petit must be the best central midfield pairing to have graced the Premiership (fewer weaknesses than Keane and Scholes, and more likely to finish with both of them not sent off). Pity Petit didn't stay around for a couple of years longer.

Has anyone done a Liverpool XI yet? How about:
GK - Clemence (more consistent but less spectacular than Dropelaar)
RB - Phil Neal One of the great forgotten men
LB - Steve Staunton
CB - Hansen
CB - Hyypia
RW -  
CM - Souness
CM - Gerrard
LW - John Barnes
CF - Dalglish (Keegan was a little before my time, Beardsley also deserves thinking about)
CF - Torres. For a couple of years at Liverpool he was devastating. Captain Beaky may have scored more goals, but Torres was a better footballer

Struggling for a right winger (well, there aren't many in Liverpool, where Derek Hatton was considered a moderate Wink  ). Would love to find a way of slotting Jan Molby into the side - the finest footballer to never leave the centre circle.
Great line laughing 

In all seriousness, what about McManaman?

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 15 Oct 2013, 10:08 pm

NP

I knew I was forgetting someone. Having said that though, didn't shaggy play quite a lot on the left?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
sodhat wrote:West Ham

Bernard Lama
I bloody loved him and all the 12 games he played for us. Supreme keeper.

Tim Breacker
Consistent and solid right back. And all our other right backs have been pretty poor.

Julian Dicks
Best left back ever, and he scored goals every season. Didn't compromise on the field be it a tackle or taking a penalty.

Rio Ferdinand
Classiest English defender I've ever seen, the full package.

Slaven Bilic
Just a highly talented defender, when we had him and Rieper we were sat pretty.

Joe Cole
Bit of an idol when I was young, and a versatile footballer. Extremely gifted in possession.

Trevor Sinclair
Great signing for us, fitted in with our style and made his way to the England team with us.

Eyal Berkovic
One of my all time favourites and he got kicked in the face too.

Mark Noble
Can do it all in the middle, takes a great penalty and is a one club man...so far.

Dean Ashton
Gutted when he was injured. Really good footballer, technically excellent and he had the size to play as a striker in the PL.

Paolo Di Canio
Have to include Paolo.
Hard to argue. Probably have Ludo in goal, Potts at right back and take out Trev for Parker and play Joey and Paolo in behind Ashton or Tevez. Foe and Carrick close. Trying to work out if I remember Cottee or not, Hartson would be on the fringes too
Most people would include Ludo, on a sensible day I would too. But I remember Lama coming in on loan and being amazed at his ability. I think the fact I only saw 12 or so games worth of him means I don't have enough evidence to slate him...

I remember the very last year or so of Cottee, but not enough to include him. I always thought Kanoute was excellent for us too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Wed 16 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

The Womble wrote:
MIG wrote:And do you think Carr is better than Jan Vertonghen, Ledley King or Sol Campbell?
No, I hold my hands up. Carr was a poor choice. Assou-Ekotto is a better defender than Vertonghen though. King and Campbell were a bit over rated. Good players but not great players.
Ledley King over-rated? He was class. Just a little too fragile.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next