The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

+15
liverbnz
CFCNick
Pr4wn
Eejit
Roberto Baggio
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
Gerry SA
kwinigolfer
Dave.
Lowlandbrit
TopoftheChops
Luke
19 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD - Page 4 Empty MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Luke Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is what I should have put instead of adding a year Doh 
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD - Page 4 Empty Re: MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 09 Feb 2015, 8:53 pm

"Shields the final big name out there"?

Not any longer if ESPN reports are to be believed. $75M offered for a four year contract by the San Diego Padres for Jamie Shields.

Just nine days now until the first teams report to Spring Training. It's been a long winter . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Spring training starting across Florida (although it may not feel like spring there, not quite yet anyway) and Arizona.

Something to warm the cockles of our North Country hearts.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 23 Feb 2015, 1:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:"Shields the final big name out there"?

Not any longer if ESPN reports are to be believed. $75M offered for a four year contract by the San Diego Padres for Jamie Shields.

Just nine days now until the first teams report to Spring Training. It's been a long winter . . . . .

Long, and not that exciting. Still only just over a month to go. Really looking forward to it as quite a few of the divisions look very close to call,
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 02 Mar 2015, 8:41 pm

http://deadspin.com/mlb-photo-day-never-disappoints-1688901889

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 03 Apr 2015, 9:28 pm

Everyone's favourite doper, Alex Rodriguez, is making his comeback during spring training with the Bronx Bombers utilizing him at first base. He's looking half decent..

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Apr 2015, 1:54 am

Yankees as bad as predicted, it's going to be a long, long summer, all the worse for following a long, long, long winter.
Off to see the Mutts next week, vs Atlanta. Haven't seen CitiField so looking forward to that.
Hope there's a good pitching match-up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 21 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

Thought I would drop in and join the chat. I am a Jays fan. With regards the AL East: Yankees look old, and they are old. That said, A Rod is looking pretty damn good right now. I will say no more than that about him, given his history. Boston have started hot, but their pitching is suspect. I expected Tampa to start worse, given their pitching injuries and the loss of Joe Maddon, but they still seem pretty tough. Before the season I would have picked the Orioles to win the East. Best balanced team, IMO.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 23 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

It's all about the Mets in New York this year Sean, ten in a row at the minute. Strong pitching rotation and some decent hitting in the line up with the likes of Duda, Grandison and Wright. Way too early to make any predictions yet, but things have started well and there are some poor sides in our division, the Phillies look way past their best now, and some of the contracts they have for guys like Howard will take some offloading.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:35 am

I went to see the Mets on Thursday afternoon, Rowley, a bitterly cold day but they stayed hot. Until they played the NYY on Friday of course.
Unfortunately Harvey looked terrific today.
Had never been to CitiField before, and not seen Duda previously either. Both impressive.

The Grandyman's not hitting and Wright's on the DL but the Mutts could be for real for a change.

And the Yankees might be beyond old, but they're going to be better than I expected if the first few go-rounds of the rotation are to be maintained. They'll play decent defence, they have two bona fide closers, and they'll always hit and sometimes run with Elsbury & Gardner.

Baltimore have a great Manager, Yankee trained of course, and they could be the East's best bet in the long run. So long as it's not the Sawx.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 27 Apr 2015, 9:39 am

I went to Citifield when I was in New York a couple of years ago, in the days when Reyes and Beltran were still there. Think the side has more strength in depth this year, we have always had some talent such as Santana in the pitching, but frequently the others in the rotation have been weak.

Nobody is getting in the playoffs in April, but I do get the impression we are better equipped for a legitimate challenge this year.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 27 Apr 2015, 10:34 am

Hard to disagreee Rowley, Atlanta's pitching not what it was, Washington rebuilding so you really do have a great chance.

Baltimore showing once again that we are brilliant at being incosistent. Good that Davis is back in the swing after his injuries last year, and offensively we look a match for anybody. Trouble is our pitching still not great, but given this division anyone can be hot one week and cold the next so not completly downhearted yet.

Yankees, while looking old have experince, which could be a plus. Though it will be more telling end of season which it is (old if running on gas, experince if looking good).
Still think that Toronto will be division winners, as really they have it all. But also thought that last year, and look what happened.

NL west already looking over with the Dodgers top, every other division looking exciting (though the NL Central again looking a fantastic division, unless you support one of the teams in it, then it would be as nerve racking as hell, just like the AL East Very Happy ).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Orioles / White Sox off again tonight, as curfews still apply in Baltimore.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 28 Apr 2015, 9:17 pm

Can't play ball when the city is on fire. Mets have started great guns, Rowley. Would love to have Harvey in the Jays rotation. We are falling off at the minute, but as you say, very early days.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:37 am

Orioles playing Wednesday in an empty stadium. Whether the city is on fire or not.

Harvey's a Yankee fan - he ain't goin' anywhere except the Bronx.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:31 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:Can't play ball when the city is on fire. Mets have started great guns, Rowley. Would love to have Harvey in the Jays rotation. We are falling off at the minute, but as you say, very early days.

It's all about Colon for me Sean, gives us fat middle aged guys hope our best days are not behind us.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:35 am

Alright, Jeff? Hope you're well.

I've never been to a baseball game but would really like to (genuinely).

I am in NYC in September. Is the season on then and how easy is it for me to get tickets? And who should I see in NY?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 29 Apr 2015, 9:51 am

The regular season is still ongoing in September, and is getting to the business end so the games should matter. Depending when you're there, the Mets are playing the Yankees mid september, which is the local derby and would obviously be a great game or series to go to. If you are planning on going there you'd probably be wise to look to order tickets in advance now online, because obviously derbies sell quick and if both teams are still in the mix for play off places that will escalate demand.

If you're just going to a normal mid week game you should be able to get tickets easily enough, especially if you go to the Mets rather than the Yankees, who are obviously the more successful side. As a Mets fan I am biased so would always recommend you going to the Mts, but genuinely you'll probably get a better seat at a more sensible price for them. They have both moved grounds recently though so both are modern and good places to watch a game.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:03 am

Rowley wrote:The regular season is still ongoing in September, and is getting to the business end so the games should matter. Depending when you're there, the Mets are playing the Yankees mid september, which is the local derby and would obviously be a great game or series to go to. If you are planning on going there you'd probably be wise to look to order tickets in advance now online, because obviously derbies sell quick and if both teams are still in the mix for play off places that will escalate demand.

If you're just going to a normal mid week game you should be able to get tickets easily enough, especially if you go to the Mets rather than the Yankees, who are obviously the more successful side. As a Mets fan I am biased so would always recommend you going to the Mts, but genuinely you'll probably get a better seat at a more sensible price for them. They have both moved grounds recently though so both are modern and good places to watch a game.

Probably be a mid week game as I will flying in on a Sunday (20th) and back out the following Saturday (26th). Hopefully the Mets will be playing mid of that week and I'll make an effort to get there. Is the stadium in the city or outside?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:09 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Probably be a mid week game as I will flying in on a Sunday (20th) and back out the following Saturday (26th).  Hopefully the Mets will be playing mid of that week and I'll make an effort to get there.  Is the stadium in the city or outside?

It is 161st St, Bronx. I think there is a golf course adjacent to the stadium if I remember rightly.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:21 am

That is the Yankees Sean, the Mets are in Queens, the ground is lovely, the area around it, not so much. The underground drops you off straight outside though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:29 am

Rowley wrote:That is the Yankees Sean, the Mets are in Queens, the ground is lovely, the area around it, not so much. The underground drops you off straight outside though.

Bakerloo line?

OK, I'll get the subway and check it out. I'll be fine in Queens anyway. I'm pretty gangsta so no fears for me.

Would you like me to get you a Mets souvenir if I get to a game?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:13 am

Thanks Tina, obviously a signed bat would be a lovely gesture. I am more than happy to pay for the frame myself. David Wright would be my preferred player, but I don't want to come across as fussy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 29 Apr 2015, 5:26 pm

Wright just went down with an injury, no? Or is he coming back.

Jays pulled out a good win last night. Both us and Red Sox will suffer for pitching like that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 29 Apr 2015, 5:56 pm

Out for about 3 weeks Sean, probably about half way through it thus far. Pity he was in decent form, not hitting a lot of HR's but getting on base plenty.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 29 Apr 2015, 6:19 pm

Yeah, he'll be good to have back. Jays have had a few people on the DL too so far. Baseball can be like that.

Orioles and White sox behind closed doors this afternoon. That'll be weird.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 Apr 2015, 5:16 pm

David Wright now eligible to come off the DL but expected to be out at least another week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roberto Baggio Sun 24 May 2015, 10:51 pm

I watched my very first baseball match a couple weeks ago. The mighty San Diego Padres at the Petco. I thought, I'll never be here again so I'll treat myself.

It was the most boring thing I've ever seen. How do they sell out so much? Why are the players on so much money? How is this such a big deal?

Seriously! It was the longest 5 hours of my life that couldn't even be saved by Bud lite. I seen 2 home runs. 2! It seemed such a good game on the wii. But there? It was abysmal.

Sorry for bringing a downer on this thread, it's just my opinion.

Go Padres! Lol

Roberto Baggio

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:44 pm

Baggio,
Gawd knows why you were there for five hours. And, if you only had Bud Lite to drink you only have yourself to blame.

Meanwhile, my Yankees are going through a bad spell and the AL East as a whole has nothing to be proud of. Only redeeming feature is that we're doing better, so far, than originally expected and the pitching is promising; Betances and Miller have been brilliant. But the negatives far outweigh the positives; Ellsbury out, no-one hitting for average, a terrible infield and the sluggers are like roadblocks on the base paths.
Are better days coming? I wouldn't bet on it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 19 Jun 2015, 1:45 pm

The FBI have issued suponeas (spelling) to the St Louis front office and other individuals within the club, after being found to have hacked the Houston Astros computer system (why the Astros?).

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

New blood here.

Red Sox at the Blue Jays on Canada day was a great game. Worth watching for the first inning alone.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

How we doin' then? It's been quiet on here.

Trading deadline day on Friday and the chips are beginning to fall:
Clippard from Oakland to the Mutts (and they need all the help they can get, Washington disappearing into the distance).
Victorino from Boston to the Angels
Tulowitzki from Colorado to the Torontos
Cueto from Reds to Royals
Cole Hamels and David Price among big-name starters allegedly on the move.

The Yankees are far exceeding expectations but no doubt Cashman will press the self-destruct button and risk ruining a good thing by trading for Price and sacrifing the very bright future for the promises of the present.

If the National League season ended this morning, the play-off match-ups would be almost exactly the same as last year, divisional leaders the same, San Francisco and Pittsburgh meeting for the wild-card spot in the Divisional Series.

tiger's Orioles have been disappointing, to say the least - tiger, to answer your question above I think the data-hacking is all connected to front-office personnel who have moved between the clubs. Seriously doubt that either ownership or field management knew anything about it. And it's all gone pretty quiet recently.

The next few weeks crucial for the Blue Jays, Eejit, hope you enjoy a decent run and secure a wild card, right behind the AL East Champion Yankees.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 29 Jul 2015, 12:14 am

Zobrist from Oakland to the Royals; Cubs next stop?

Papelbon from Philly to Washington; miserable sod, who cares?!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 Jul 2015, 6:17 pm

More starters on the move:
Hamels from Phillies to Texas (that's what a no-hitter gets you these days, a trip to DFW - awful prospect)
David Price from Detroit to Toronto. Blue Jays obviously going hell for leather for an AL wildcard - behind the Yankees of course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 03 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

Went to watch the Blue Jays a few days ago against the Phillies. It was Tulowidski's first game and, after striking out first up, he hit a 2-run homer! Was actually good fun, though it's got nothing on the cricket, in my opinion.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

Apples and oranges, Pr4wn; can't really imagine cricket lovers not liking baseball, and vice versa, when they properly understand the intricacies and rhythms of each game.
Imagine there was a pretty good vibe in Toronto for that game; a good place to watch a game from my experience. Yanks vs Blue Jays this coming weekend, important series for both teams.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Aug 2015, 11:24 am

They could come back tonight and thump the Yankees, but the Sawx look terrible right now. Their own commentators were lambasting their pitching during last night's debacle so expect some changes in Bawston soon.

A metaphor for Liverpool FC in my book.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:50 am

Toronto are 7-1 and averaging 6 runs per game since Tulo arrived...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:09 am

Hopefully they'll hit the buffers on Friday.
Great pitchers' duel at the Stadium last night - but the wrong team won. Continued bizarre positional decisions by the Sawx. Bet Farrell is not there next season.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:01 am

Those Jays just keep on rolling!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 30 Aug 2015, 4:44 pm

Really disappointed with how Baltimore have played this season, especially given that it's been a fairly average league this season. Have said on here Toronto should win it, and they are looking good. And the Yankees are looking good.

The rest of the league's have been disappointing, most down to 2 teams. Good to see Houston and the Mets doing well, hopefully will continue.
Also just how disappointing has the AL central been, fully expected this to be an exciting division, but it's already over really.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 15 Oct 2015, 9:09 am

Did anyone see the Blue Jays vs Rangers game last night?! Wow...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 15 Oct 2015, 3:37 pm

Amazing!!!!! I'm really glad I got to see it live. If it was the later of the two games I would have been watching hockey instead.

ESPN are showing it again now. 7th inning just ended. There's going to be a 30 for 30 about this one day.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 15 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm

Bautista, what a legend.

Amazing play. I just got back from Toronto the other day and the whole city was Jays-crazy. For them to go 2-0 down losing both games at home and to come back and win in that fashion. Outstanding.

Also, that Encarnacion home run was absolutely massive.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 15 Oct 2015, 9:55 pm

Nervous wreck for Mets tonight. Think we really needed to put it away in game 4.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:06 pm

Mets 2-0 up going into tonight in Chicago and what looks like on paper a favourable pitching line-up for them. If they win tonight, it's hard to see them losing 4 on the bounce - although it wouldn't be the first time this season against the Cubs.

Bluejays pull one back last night. Haven't been watching that series as much but I'm glad it's gonna go to at least 5.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 02 Nov 2015, 1:04 pm

3rd 'blown save' of the series and Kansas City take the WS ;( Feel for Familia as he was brought in at least twice in the series where too much was asked of him with runners on base. Probably should have came on at the start of the 9th but Harvey wanted it and was pitching well.

Congrats to the KC Royals. Never say die attitude gets them to the promised land!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 Nov 2015, 1:52 pm

Congrats to them, but I'm still salty about the Jays going out. Really thought they had a chance this season and they undoubtedly have the leagues most exciting batters.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 03 Nov 2015, 11:20 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Congrats to them, but I'm still salty about the Jays going out. Really thought they had a chance this season and they undoubtedly have the leagues most exciting batters.
Likewise. It just felt like they were going to do it this year.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Nov 2015, 5:28 pm

Good news for Blue Jays fans is that Joey Bats and Encarnacion have had their option for 2016 taken up.
Unlike former BJ Alex Rios who will become a free agent after the Royals declined to take up their option for next year.
Greinke also a free agent.

Dismayed by the Yankees August/September collapse, but happy for the Royals . . . . it's been a long time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 05 Nov 2015, 10:22 am

If the Jays can tie up David Price for next season, at least, then they'll be contenders again.

Tulo is as good as gone but he barely produced since joining and he seems like a champion douche.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next