The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

+15
liverbnz
CFCNick
Pr4wn
Eejit
Roberto Baggio
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
Gerry SA
kwinigolfer
Dave.
Lowlandbrit
TopoftheChops
Luke
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD - Page 2 Empty MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by Luke Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is what I should have put instead of adding a year Doh 
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

MLB DISCUSSION THREAD - Page 2 Empty Re: MLB DISCUSSION THREAD

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Jan 2014, 3:58 pm

Yankees wave goodbye to Vernon Wells, good riddance too after a New York start that promised so much in the early days of spring, but which fizzled as the season wore on.
But Matt Thornton has been signed to reinforce the bullpen following Boone Logan's defection to the Rockies.

Yanks still have one veteran outfielder too many - memo to Cashman: "Don't get rid of Brett Gardner whatever you do."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Jan 2014, 7:52 pm

A-Rod suspension, for next season at least, is confirmed. Good.

Now let's start planning for life/success without his self-inflated ego.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 16 Jan 2014, 2:33 am

Clayton Kershaw has agreed to stay with the Dodgers in a record breaking $215 million 7 year deal (with an opt out after 5).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 22 Jan 2014, 7:17 pm

Tanaka to the Yanks: 7 years and $155M.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 23 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Tanaka to the Yanks: 7 years and $155M.

Intresting, but not really suprising as it was always really between you and the Mariners.
Bit Young given the rest of your trades Kiwi.

In other trades, Boston sign outfielder Grady Sizemore to a 1 year $750,000 deal.

Tampa and San Diego complete a 7 player trade. The Padres getting pitchers Alex Torres & Jesse Hahn.
The Rays getting utility Logan Forsythe, Infielder Maxx Tissenbeam, and pitchers Brad Boxberger, Matt Lollis & Matt Andriese.

Tampa looking real strong, possible early favorites for the AL East.

And we still haven't signed anybody. Crying or Very sad 
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 23 Jan 2014, 7:02 pm

tiger,
Don't know if you remember but Grady Sizemore used to be a terrific young player before injuries got the better of him - could be a super pick-up, especially if his wheels are still up to stealing a few bases.

Yanks roster is a bit of a dog's dinner right now; imagine there are still some ins and outs to come, but the 2014 team will be almost unrecognizable.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

Sad to here about Lance Berkman's Retirement, good player with solid if not spectacular figures, and a gentleman. I wish him well.

No sorry Kiwi, had never heard of Grady till this.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 Jan 2014, 3:25 pm

tiger,
It seems like a lifetime since he last played as a regular, but he's still only 31.
In 2008 he hit 33 home-runs, stole 38 bases and drove in 90 runs, all whilst playing, arguably, the best centre-field in the country, all for Cleveland.
By some counts he's had half a dozen surgeries since then but even if he's just a shadow of his former self he could be a decent replacement for Ellsbury - fitness will always be an issue though, but the Sawx have Jackie Bradley waiting in the wings.

Did you see that the BrewCrew snaffled Matt Garza on a 4-year deal? Good value that I'd say.

Berkman was terrific at his best, but he was clearly on the slide when he cameoed in Yankee Stadium a season or two back. As you say, by all accounts a very good bloke.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 31 Jan 2014, 2:03 am

Kiwi,
I was thinking the other day, that this could possibly be one of the best seasons in baseball for a while as there seems to be alot of competitive divisions. All the AL's look quite close. East I feel will be a lot tighter this year, Central though I expect Detroit to win it, I do feel they will be pushed by Cleveland, Minnesota and possibly Kansas. West I think will be as competitive as the East. And in the NL it's only really the West that I can't see at least 2 teams competing at the top.

Berkman I mainly remember from the Cardinals were he was outstanding, afterwards his career did seem to go down hill with injuries but was an great player and bloke.

As much as I would like to see Grady do well (always sort of feel for someone after so many injuries after a great start), and think like you said could be a fantastic signing for Boston, and a sort of player that will fit in well with there team and how they play. Just don't want him to do to well given the division he's now playing in.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 31 Jan 2014, 2:52 am

thumbsup 
I see that the great Michael Young has just followed Berkman into retirement.
Neither legitimate Hall of Fame candidates but both very loyal to their primary teams; great careers but one step away from Cooperstown.

PS: Berkman was a five-time All Star for the Astros back in the old Bagwell, Berkman, Biggio days.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

Bronson Arroyo has taken his act to Arizona - can't imagine why the Reds didn't re-sign him, what a workhorse he's been thru'out his career. Will undoubtedly be missed.

And pleased to see A-Rod take his medicine at last - good riddance to him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:51 am

So: Jeter to retire at the end of 2014; at least we have A-Rod to play short stop. Just joshing!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:22 pm

A bolt-from-the-blue from Boston starter Ryan Dempster who is foregoing the $13M he's due this year and electing to sit out the final year of his contract. A possible prelude to retirement, but that decision has apparently not yet been confirmed.

The Braves have re-upped closer Kimbrell while the Reds are in negotiations with no-hittters-Homer Bailey for a long-term contract, hoping to avoid arbitration and the uncertainty of free agency coming up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 04 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

tiger,
Your O's are waking up to some bargains: Johan Santana just signed a minor-league contract - could be a great pick-up if he's anything more than a shadow of his former self.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 28 Mar 2014, 4:36 pm

So with the season beginning this weekend, it is time to look at the divisions, how i think the teams are, and there prospects, and then Kiwi will look at it and readdress where i am wrong (probably most of it, oh and hi Kiwi, i hope that you and yours are all well and good?). Anyway i will also put who i feel will win the divisions. So we start with the NL.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 31 Mar 2014, 7:36 pm

Hi tiger,
Happy Opening Day!
2.30 p.m. here, so half an hour to get the beers sorted and pre-match exercises on the remote as I flip between your Birds and the Sawx, and the Iron and Sunderland.
Since you ask, my fingers are crossed for the Orioles and the 'Ammers!

Very low expectations for my Yankees, high expectations for the Tigers (interesting to see how Verlander bounces back) and the Cards (imagine they'll miss Beltran, can't understand why they didn't make a bigger effort to hang on to him).

Is this the year for the Pirates? And the Royals?

No tickets for games yet, but hoping to get to CitiField for a Mutts game. Oh how I miss being able to leave home on the spur of the moment at 4.30 p.m. and zipping up to Montreal to see the Expos. Great times, especially with young (at the time) children. Probably the best deal in sport, here or there.

Good luck for Buck and the Birds - get off to a rousing start today, y'hear??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Apr 2014, 4:16 pm

Good way for Baltimore to start, solid pitching and a nice win.

Watched the Yanks last night and they looked absolutely horrible.
Plus: They released Eduardo Nunez who'll be a really good pick-up for someone.
Heads up arses in New York.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 18 Apr 2014, 1:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Good way for Baltimore to start, solid pitching and a nice win.

Watched the Yanks last night and they looked absolutely horrible.
Plus: They released Eduardo Nunez who'll be a really good pick-up for someone.
Heads up arses in New York.

And yet you top the league, after a decent start. Yeah fairly happy with Baltimore's start, 8-8 is pretty much what I expected. Though it's great to see Milwaukee and Minnesota doing well in there respective divisions. And San Francisco seem to be returning to the team of a few years ago.

For the record, the teams I had winning the divisions add-on
NL West - Los Angeles Dodgers,
NL Central - St Louis Cardinals,
NL East - Atlanta Braves.

AL West - Anaheim Angels (really thought after 2 years over achieving the A'S would struggle).,
AL Central - Detroit Tigers,
AL East - Tampa Bay Rays.

Though I do think there will be alot more sides competing for the wildcard places.

Love this time of year, Baseball just starting (so full of hope etc), Rugby League season starts sorting its self out, and Cricket season just beginning, who could ask for more.

Other than supporting a baseball team that's front office seems to have no clue as to what it's doing, or keeps changing its long term strategy, you and yours we'll Kiwi?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 01 May 2014, 6:24 pm

Where did April go?

Most of the US North-East had March in April, cool, damp weather, but some surprises on the baseball diamond.

Good starts from:
Milwaukee and Atlanta at the top of the class.
And Oakland proving that you don't need $gazillions to run a good organization AND enjoy success on the field.
My Yankees are exceeding expectations, early days yet of course, whilst the infernal Red Sox are under-performing.

Other strong organizations off to a good start include Detroit, San Francisco Giants and the ever-contending Cardinals.

Decent start for your Orioles, tiger, whilst the Twinkies are probably exceeding even their expectations.

Terrible first month for Arizona's Diamondbacks and the usual rubbish from the Cubbies. Disappointing so far from the Pirates of whom so much was expected. Shame.

And good riddance to the GREAT Robbie Cano and his Mariners. Just one Home Run so far from Robinson, and Seattle struggling.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 02 May 2014, 1:36 am

I was just thinking what's happened to April as it seems to have gone to quickly. Yeah we doing okay (though we always start the season well), and are looking handy (though as you say Boston haven't got going as haven't the Rays), but it's a close table. The Central division is looking fantastic as well with Detroit, Minnesota Kansas all looking good, and just how well are the White Soxs playing after last years disastrous year. Great to see Milwaukee going well, and Oakland who seem to improve every year, and given they''ve won the division the last 2 years that's saying alot. Mets doing very well. End of May will be intresting to see which of these can have kept up there starts.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 02 May 2014, 7:45 pm

Good night for your Orioles last night, tiger.
Sweeping a double-header doesn't happen every day but, better still, Machado played in the "night cap".
Positive signs!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 06 May 2014, 11:26 am

We are joint top of the league, say we are joint top of the league. Going well, though with Yanks level, and everyone else 1.5 games back might not make it till the end of the month, but still we are joint top of the league.
NL East also competitive, Miami doing well, infact great start to baseball.

And in case I have mentioned it, WE ARE JOINT TOP OF THE LEAGUE.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 18 May 2014, 9:03 pm

come on you diamondbacks

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 27 May 2014, 2:40 am

And we didn't, as Toronto take over. Yankees 1.5 games then the O'S 2 games back, in what is a very tight division. As is the NL east (really did not see Miami doing this well). The Central divisions are slightly more open, the AL Detroit are once again showing form (they really are a class side), the White Soxs complete reversal of last season continues. St Louis are looking in ominous form, as they chase down the suprising Brewers. The Wests continue on there merry way. With the excellently run Oakland A's continue, and the rejuvenated Giants continue to lead the wag, with the disappointing Dodgers a couple of games back.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 16 Jun 2014, 4:49 pm

Shocked to see announcements this morning of Tony Gwynn's death, of cancer, at 54.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:10 pm

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970/all
Two years ago, the Houston Astros constructed "Ground Control"—a built-from-scratch online database for the private use of the Astros front office. It is by all accounts a marvel, an easy-to-use interface giving executives instant access to player statistics, video, and communications with other front offices around baseball. All it needs, apparently, is a little better password protection.

Documents purportedly taken from Ground Control and showing 10 months' worth of the Astros' internal trade chatter have been posted online at Anonbin, a site where users can anonymously share hacked or leaked information. Found below, they contain the Astros front office's communications regarding trade overtures to and from other teams, as well as negotiations—a few of which actually led to trades. You will find heavy efforts to get a big haul for Bud Norris at last year's trade deadline (before settling for very little), pushes to acquire touted young talents like Dylan Bundy and Gregory Polanco, and even evidence the Astros rejected out of hand a blockbuster deal that could have brought them Giancarlo Stanton.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:17 am

So with the 1st half of the season pretty much over, a quick look at were the divisions stand.

NL EAST
This division is pretty much as expected, With the Washington Nationals & the Atlanta Braves neck to neck in what is really a 2 horse race.

NL CENTRALThe Milwaukee Brewers band wagon just keeps rolling on, surprisingly to me at least, But with the St Louis Cardinals (1 game behind), Cincinnati Reds (1.5 games behind), & the Pittsburgh Pirates (3.5 games behind), you feel they will be eventually caught (though I hope not, or at least get a play off place they deserve).

NL WEST
Is again a 2 horse race, with the Dodgers holding a 1 game lead over a rejuvenated San Francisco Giants.

AL WEST
Once again the Oakland A's are over performing, and do considerably we'll against big spending divisional rivals. The Anaheim Angels (1.5 games behind), after years of vastly under performing seem to be finally getting it right.

AL CENTRAL
Is once again Detroit's to lose.

AL EAST
Baltimore are top of this yearly topsey turvy league (horay for good things). Tornoto (4 games back), are doing what I said last year. There big signings coming good, the Yankees (5 games), have been hit and miss with there slightly strange signings from this winter.

Now becomes intresting, with 3 1/2 weeks to the trade deadline. There could be some big moves as teams go for the play offs, and possible glory. Hopefully we will be one of them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 30 Sep 2014, 1:07 am

This week see's the start of the post season (what happened to summer?), with the 2 one off wildcard games.
These are between, in the AL Kansas City Royals (for the 1st time in nearly 30 years and the Oakland A'S. And in the NL San Francisco Giants and the Pittsburgh Pirates.

After these games the divisional winners will join in for a 5 game series. In The AL these will be between Baltimore Orioles/Detroit Tigers and Anaheim Angels/ wildcard game winner. And in the NL Los Angeles Dodgers/St Louis Cardinals and Washington Nationals/Wildcard winner.

The winners of these 2 games than go on to meet in the 7 game conference final.
And the winners of these 2 games meet in the 7 game world series.
And the winner of this is baseball champions otherwise known as the Baltimore Orioles

I should add, its best of 5/7, or first to 3/4 games if you prefer.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 01 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

So the first wild card game is over. And the Kansas City Royals fantastic run continues as they beat the Oakland A'S 9-8 in the 12th.

So the next rd with regards the AL will see -

Baltimore Orioles v Detroit Tigers,
Anaheim Angels v Kansas City Royals.

First side to 3 games will progress to the AL conference final series.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 03 Oct 2014, 2:08 am

And the San Francisco Giants progress from the NL wildcard game, with an 8-0 victory in Pittsburgh.

So the NL looks like this,

Los Angeles Dodgers v St Louis Cardinals
Washington Nationals v San Francisco Giants.

Again first to 3 progresses.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 03 Oct 2014, 8:45 pm

Weekday afternoon baseball is great for us.

Oriole 3 run double for the lead! 3 outs from a 2 game lead, scoreless at the other end of the Beltway.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Oct 2014, 1:45 am

Great for us too, Dave.
Fine series win for the Baltimore Birds - well done Tiger!
Hope you get the Royals in the Championship Series.
Sad end to the season for my Yanks, still mourning a great career and the end of the Core Four era. Having said which, did the Yankees exceed expectations or did the Blue Jays and Tampa Rays fall woefuly short? The latter, I would say.
Dread to think what's round the corner for the Bronx Faithful.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Oct 2014, 3:47 pm

Orioles haven't been to the World Series for 31 years.
Royals haven't been for 29 years.
Plenty of incentive for a cracking AL Championship Series.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Oct 2014, 2:23 am

The first side through to the 2014 world series are

The Kansas City Royals,

Who destroyed the Baltimore Orioles, in a very one sided AL championship series.Congratulations to them, Glad that if the O'S didn't get through, that they did.

And though it's a disappointing end, its been a great season for the O'S.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Oct 2014, 1:13 pm

And there opponents will be,

The San Francisco Giants,

Who reach it for the first time, in oh 2 possibily 3 years, after winning it 2 years before that as well.

First game next Wednesday(22nd), starting about 1am(British standard time), first 2 games in Kansas, in what should be a cracking World series that could rival the Cardinals/Rangers one for closeness, twists and just exciting baseball.

Whilst trying to be neutral(go Royals), lets all hope for a Kansas win.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Oct 2014, 1:44 pm

Do or die for KC tonight. If it's "do", it'll be all to play for Wednesday; then the silly (free agent) season and speculation kicks off.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 29 Oct 2014, 2:08 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Do or die for KC tonight. If it's "do", it'll be all to play for Wednesday; then the silly (free agent) season and speculation kicks off.

And the Royals do, with a very impressive win.

Kiwi, has it been a good series as I've missed most of it due to work and other stuff? There seems to have been quite a few lopsided scores, but despite that no side seems to be dominating the other, other than for 1 game at a time.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

Hi tiger,
So the Baumgarners win!
Yup, entertaining series, one or two break-out players like Lorenzo Cain for KC, and exceptional pitching from Baumgarner.

Not much free agency eligibility (got to keep Shields if they can, but can see him joining Maddon in Chicago) to break up the Royals so hope they'll be a force for a few years, whereas Sandoval could be off and some of the Giants' veteran pitchers might be moving on.

Unfortunately, the Play-Offs were scattered about cable TV and difficult to find, then WS games finished too late to watch the bitter end.

Your O's should go from strength to strength, my Yanks not to much, but you'd think the Rays will be wounded by Maddon's departure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:59 pm

Hi kiwi,

Shame that the Royals couldn't Finnish the job, but well done to San Francisco Giants, and you got to think 3 world series wins in 5 years will put this team not only high in Giants fans memories, but baseball's, maybe even class them as an elite team (like the. Yankees in the late 90's or Red Soxs in the 00's).

I'd like to agree that the O'S can carry on,certainly just need to keep most of this team together, while adding a few more. After last season not sure what to expect off the Yankees in the off season, but they will have to replace the imperious Derek Jeter (magnificent player, not showey just got on with giving his best game in game out), so expect at least one big signing.
Actually think there could be quite a few trades/free agency moves, as quite o few teams will be looking to move up (especially after Kansas's superb season).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 30 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

True dat, about trades/free agency, tiger, but remember that this has been coming for Kansas City for quite a while, and their team was built mainly through the draft and their excellent farm system, with one or two cherries (like Shields) to top off the cake.
Not too dissimilar from the Giants really.

Seems A-Rod is back in the Yankees fold after his suspension. Too bad.
And John Maddon is just a signature away from signing up as the Cubbies latest manager - expect them to challenge in the NL Central in 2015.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 01 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

Found it funny that Dodgers fans where quick to shot down claims Baumgarner was better than Kershaw. As an Angels fan, I'd be happy if we had one of these two!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 02 Nov 2014, 1:44 am

Think everyone would be pleased to have either one, Gerry.

Maddon now signed for the Cubbies - will he now go after Shields?

tiger,
Did you see Markakis has declined his option for next year? Imagine your Birds will make him a qualifying offer and negotiate. Hundley looks like going the free agent route.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 02 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

I was hoping that NYY would release A-Rod, but after the Captain's retirement, A-Rod's experience might add something for the Bronx Bombers...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 02 Nov 2014, 11:35 am

A-Rod adds a big fat nothing. Horrible man.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 08 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

Hi Kiwi,

Yes did see that about Markakis, fingers crossed.

Do you think the Cubs will really challange in 2015?, given how much better the other teams have been i just can't see it.
But then again, there are some fasicnating questions about teams for next year. Can the Royals continue there upward curve. Given the amount the Dodgers have spent to achive very little in the post season, where do they go? Will Toronto do a Miami and dump alot of players to change and challange? Will the Yankees go big again, given that they not been to the post season for a while (sorry), And how do you replace Derek Jeter? Given that they have now won 3 world serieses, will this Giants team start to break up? (and other than Boston), Just what does an AL team have to do to win a world series Very Happy ?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Nov 2014, 1:22 am

Manager of the Year to Lord Buck.
Well deserved.
Just down the Beltway, Matt Williams gets the National League gong.

I think the Cubs will do just fine this year. John Maddon brings something different to his Teams, but imagine he'll have to add a couple of "his guys" to the locker room.

Pessimistic for the Yanks, tho' it looks like they're making a serious run at Chase Headley. Who knows with Boston after they've alternated mega-tanking with a World Series? Prefer Baltimore in the "East", that's for sure.

And it looks as if Sandoval wants to find a way to stay beside the Bay, so Giants should at least be competitive. That Joe Panik at 2nd base could be the National League's Dustin Pedroia for the next ten years.

But Detroit and St.Louis aren't going anywhere, they'll be in the shake up for sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:18 am

MVPs announced tonight. 

National league: Clayton Kershaw(Dodgers)

Amercian league: Mike Trout(Angels)

Don't really agree with pitchers winning MVP awards...

Trout should've been MVP in 2012 and 2013. Delighted to finally see him win it in 2014, which wasn't as good a season as either 2012 or 2013.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Agree about Trout Gerry, it's almost like they gave it to him because they know he should have won it in one of those years.

Pittsburgh have re signed AJ Burnett (who just looked wrong in a Phillies uniform).

Detroit have tied down Victor Martinez to a new 4 year $68 million contract.

Arizona have taken pitchersigned pitcher Jeremy Hellickson from Tampa in return to a couple of prospects.

And talks are ongoing between Giancarlo Stanton about a 13 year $325 million contract.
Which if it is signed will be the biggest ever contract in sports history.

This from a team, that 2 year's ago launched a massive salary dump, and said they were going down the rookies route.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 18 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

The Stanton deal is confirmed. A major statement from the Marlins about keeping there better players. Given how well they did last year (far better than I expected), could be an outside shout for the wildcard race?

St Louis Cardinals & the Atlanta Braves complete a 4 player trade. With the Cardinals getting Jason Heyward & Josh Waldren. And Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins going to the Braves.

And Toronto Blue Jays have signed catcher Russell Martin off free agency to a 5 year $82 million contract. Always liked Martin, and this should be a good fit.

Worryingly for the O'S, not only is Markakis being linked away, but Cruz after his year last year also could be going (both free agents), losing one would leave us in a whole offensively, losing both wipes out our offence.

Also Sandoval looks like doing the Red Soxs.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 19 Nov 2014, 1:53 am

tiger,
Still can't get my head around the Stanton deal - he's a terrific player but they're betting the franchise on one man.

Russell Martin is an old 30, especially as he's a catcher, but he's Canadian (from Montreal) so presumably that's part of the attraction. Way over-committing by the Jays in my book; anything longer than 2 years for Martin is a big risk.

Not sure about Sandoval; he wants to stay in San Fran, so the next few days could be interesting.
Also think Cruz wants to stay in Baltimore so that helps you a little.

Yankees keeping their hands in their pockets - no problem in my book, but hope they can make a deal w/Headley.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next