The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team

+21
Mickado
aucklandlaurie
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
RDSguru
Hound of Harrow
doctor_grey
Jenifer McLadyboy
Casartelli
Cyril
ScarletSpiderman
Barney McGrew did it
Luckless Pedestrian
Knowsit17
rodders
LordDowlais
GunsGerms
jimmyinthewell68
Artful_Dodger
SecretFly
GloriousEmpire
BigWilly
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team - Page 3 Empty Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team

Post by BigWilly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Breaking news:

Warren Gatland has controversially left Brian O’Driscoll out of the Wales team to face South Africa this weekend.

Keith Wood is expected shortly to make a characteristically balanced announcement denouncing this disgraceful move.

Gatland justified his decision by highlighting BOD's lack of welshness, namely a dislike of lamb, laverbread and leeks

BigWilly

Back to top Go down

Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team - Page 3 Empty Re: Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:23 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Aukster, the problem with American-English, is that it is evolving, and that is what gets me.  Can I aks if it annoy you, or anyone else, too?

Also no the mods should leave this thread going as long as realistically possible, just as proof that threads can get derailed by humour and banter, and not just wummery.
It annoys me too as does their spelling, color for example and the way they pronounce certain words such as ask (axe), leisure (leezure) and route.

However, english will evolve anywhere where it is spoken and there are also pronounciations in the UK that baffle me such as sixth (sickth) etc. and words that have evolved such as moreish that make my skin crawl.

What about Family Guy, when Stewy was pronouncing the H in word like whip, and Brian wanted to kill him, well Brian, SO DID I, in the English language we have silent letters, if their silent DO NOT USE THEM !!!!!!!!  Anyway back to Wagon Wheels, BRING BACK BIG WAGON WHEELS.Drool
Very Happy 
i was trying to Americanise it.laughing 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team - Page 3 Empty Re: Outrage as Gatland drops O'Driscoll from Wales team

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:38 am

The Great Aukster wrote:English has always evolved, as have all live languages. Even minority languages such as Welsh have by necessity incorporated 'foreign' words, as they don't have an equivalent.
I've never liked Millennium Stadium as a name because the Welsh name, Stadiwm y Mileniwm, looks like pidgin English. But 'millennium' and 'stadium' are Latin words, not English words. At least we had the good grace to change the spelling when we borrowed them. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Merthyrise more like. Or should it be Merthyrize?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:44 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:English has always evolved, as have all live languages. Even minority languages such as Welsh have by necessity incorporated 'foreign' words, as they don't have an equivalent.
I've never liked Millennium Stadium as a name because the Welsh name, Stadiwm y Mileniwm, looks like pidgin English. But 'millennium' and 'stadium' are Latin words, not English words. At least we had the good grace to change the spelling when we borrowed them. Smile
It's like Dara O'Briain on Johnathan Ross, Ross is taking the pish out of Irish and saying "yeah but you have modern words for things like 'telephone' don't you?" and DOB just says "yes, it's 'telefón' but that's a Greek word anyway"

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:48 am

Good stuff! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:53 am

In my experience working with English teachers from all over I have generally found the English English teachers to be the least willing to soften their accents. The ones that I remember from Liverpool, Sunderland and Manchester were often very difficult for our students to understand and insisted that they shouldn't have to learn to speak more clearly as this is how English people speak.

Anyway languages grow and change, English has lots of new words adopted from around the world and some 'American' English is of course old English English which the English moved away from.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:57 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Oi, only us Merthyrers can Merthyrize things, right BUT !!!!! laughing 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Tiz what you do to Aberdare boys on the weekend isn't it?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:24 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Tiz what you do to Aberdare boys on the weekend isn't it?
We tend not to bother with the snakes.Whistle 

Run 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:29 am

I didn't think it was their snakes you were interested in.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:55 am

Nah Luckless, thats what us Merthyr people call people from Aberdare, years ago it was quite a serious topic, now we just call them that to wind them up. But, people never forget their history up here in the Valleys.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:57 am

Snakes are quite good at winding themselves up. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Snakes are quite good at winding themselves up. Smile
Do you know why we call them snake Luckless ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

Go on, I'm intrigued.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:12 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Go on, I'm intrigued.

Well the story from the Merthyr side is that during the early 1900's all the pits in Merthyr were on strike, so the pit overmen had people from Aberdare to come and work the mines and the Aberdare men were seen coming down the side of the mounting with their torches in a zig zag and they looked like a line of snakes walking down the side of the mounting to break the picket lines that the Merthyr men had formed.Thus from that day on they have been world known as Aberdare snakes, or Snakeland or anything with the word snake in it.

From an Aberdare point of view, it is the case that during the early 1900's Aberdare F.C had an emblem of a big A with a snake entwined throughout it thus giving them the nickname "The Snakes" and to this day I know the cricket team are called the Snakes, and I think the ruugby team are called the snakes.

But this is the story I have researched because I just needed to find out for myself, why me and everyone else were calling them snakes, is that, The Cynon Valley, so centrally located and so early in its economic development, often provided skilled miners to newly emerging neighbouring coalmining valleys. Sometimes they were accused of being " Aberdare snakes" but more frequently they were recognised as valued workmen and sound trade unionists, driven by victimisation and depression in search of work elsewhere.Which is kind of closer to the Merthyr side of the story, but it is all about what came first, the workers breaking the picket lines, or the an emblem with a snake on it which had no relevance to Aberdare until the strike incident.

Anyway, it's all a bit of fun now, and Aberdare is a lovely town, which actually just as close to where I live as my own town center.Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

Thanks, Dowlais. Interesting stuff.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3