The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carberry - opener - 6 - 12th man

+9
jimbohammers
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
kingraf
KP_fan
subhranshu.kumar.5
dummy_half
hampo17
Stella
13 posters

Go down

Carberry - opener - 6 - 12th man Empty Carberry - opener - 6 - 12th man

Post by Stella Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:03 pm

Thanks to some runs, Michael Carberry has thrown a spanner in the works, as to who plays in Brisbane. So, the top six will be?

Cook
Carberry
Trott
KP
Bell
Root

or

Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Carberry

or perhaps

Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Bairstow/Ballance
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Carberry - opener - 6 - 12th man Empty Re: Carberry - opener - 6 - 12th man

Post by hampo17 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

Need to have Carberry opening imo, he is more solid there than Root who should be dropped down to 6 for me.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

Have to go with the form so far on the tour - Carberry to open alongside COok, with Root dropping back to 6. Looks a very solid batting line-up to me, especially in Austrailan conditions where Cook and Trott tend to excel.

Now if only someone will make such a convincing case to take the 3rd seamer spot...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:31 pm

Carberry, looking at his performance in some of previous matches, should get a chance. I would also like to remove the burden of opening from young Root, he needs more exposure. Leaving two innings, he was an easy wicket for the opposition. One more concern that should be taken care is, England in last Ashes relied on some of their experienced fighters, and in many departments they failed. Every time they will not have Bell to support so they need to find someone who could strongly hold their positions, because though Aussies batting looks bit shaky but their bowling is not weak, and more over if Baily will be selected then it will give more balance to the middle order. I think this time it will not be easy for England.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:50 pm

Stella wrote:Thanks to some runs, Michael Carberry has thrown a spanner in the works,
Nope the seelctors did the spanner thingy....... by not following the golden adage...." Don't fix what ain't broke".

Compton as an opener and Root as a No.6 was a very well working solution....that they tried to fix......and every step since has been a bad attempt to justify the first mistake....and creating a car-tyre stuck in mud situation.....the harder you press on the gas ....the deeper it goes in mud.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Stella wrote:Thanks to some runs, Michael Carberry has thrown a spanner in the works,
Nope the seelctors did the spanner thingy....... by not following the golden adage...." Don't fix what ain't broke".

Compton as an opener and Root as a No.6 was a very well working solution....that they tried to fix......and every step since has been a bad attempt to justify the first mistake....and creating a car-tyre stuck in mud situation.....the harder you press on the gas ....the deeper it goes in mud.
I agree, but that's gone. Time to come up with plan G, which involves Carberry, and not Compton.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:31 pm

Last I heard, Nick Compton was teaching Latino gangsters in, uh... Compton how to use bats for recreational purposes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:31 pm

kingraf wrote:Last I heard, Nick Compton was teaching Latino gangsters in, uh... Compton how to use  bats for recreational purposes.
Cool 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:08 pm

KP_fan wrote:

KP_fan - to your golden adage, I would add the wise words of John F Kennedy: ''The time to fix the roof is when the sun is shining.''

I think it's rather unfair to refer to Carberry throwing a spanner in the works. He has though certainly stirred the pot and shown himself to be a better contender for an opening slot than many of us expected. I'm still unconvinced that he'll transfer his current form to the more intimidating Test environment where he'll face much higher quality bowlers but he couldn't have done any more to earn the opportunity.

Having an in form and confident Carberry opening and the much talented Root at number six isn't what I anticipated for the first Test but I can certainly think of worse problems. Must be about time for me to post again with the usual doubts and concerns over Tremlett .... Whistle 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

I surely want to remove the burden of opening from Root, but ya a name though I forgot is of Nick Compton. Regarding his comparison with Carberry, both of them have more or less the same caliber. If talking of fixing the roof when the sun is still shining, I will prefer Compton should get a chance looking he is 3 year younger than Carberry.
Age apart, if I consider the performance, Compton also can't be rated less. He has performed well for Somerset, and in the series against NZ he had two 100 and that too in difficult situation, so he has the ability to stop Aussies pace battery.
If I am backing Compton here it doesnot mean that I am against selection of Carberry, I just want to say why not both should be used one by one. If one fails we have other.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:17 pm

Compton burnt his bridges, whether people like it or not. His chance has come and gone, Carberry has taken his chance in the warm up games, so he'll get his shot in the First Test one would imagine.

Certainly think our batting line up is stronger with Root at 6.

As others have said now just the third seamer spot to sort out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:38 am

Delighted for carbs, fully deserves it. Takes some pressure off Root as well

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:46 am

Olly wrote:Compton burnt his bridges,
why ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:03 am

KP_fan wrote:
why ?
1. His performance in the NZ home series, which many viewed as selfish. Especially the innings he played where he took like 70 odd balls to get 5 runs (something along those lines), when England needed quick runs.

2. His comments about the selectors not picking him for the Ashes.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 08 Nov 2013, 8:07 am

Olly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
why ?
1. His performance in the NZ home series, which many viewed as selfish. Especially the innings he played where he took like 70 odd balls to get 5 runs (something along those lines), when England needed quick runs.

I can undertsand burning the bridges in context with No.2.........a lot of powerful people do not like being challanged or criticized......( Like Srinivaasan of BCCI)
But such vengeful behaviour is not good whichever way one looks at it.

and No. 1 is merely an excuse for venegful behaviour justification....everyone has a bad patch in the middle

People urinate on other humans publicly, get thrown out of their FC sides also and come back in the next ashes series.
Compton's crimes are negligible compared to that.

I hope some calm and reason will prevail and they will not crush the career of a 30 years  ( with 6 more years to offer) purely on grudge especially when the team needs someone like him.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 08 Nov 2013, 12:02 pm

KP_fan wrote:
Olly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
why ?

I can undertsand burning the bridges in context with No.2.........a lot of powerful people do not like being challanged or criticized......( Like Srinivaasan of BCCI)
But such vengeful behaviour is not good whichever way one looks at it.

and No. 1 is merely an excuse for venegful behaviour justification....everyone has a bad patch in the middle

People urinate on other humans publicly, get thrown out of their FC sides also and come back in the next ashes series.
Compton's crimes are negligible compared to that.

I hope some calm and reason will prevail and they will not crush the career of a 30 years  ( with 6 more years to offer) purely on grudge especially when the team needs someone like him.
Credit where it is due, I actually agree with this, especially the bit highlighted in bold.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:06 pm

But the only "crime" of which Compton is held to be guilty is not being good enough to open for England in Test Matches...

One can agree or not with the selectors ; but there is no evidence that they have been moved by any other consideration.
It is possible his little public complaint about his treatment didn't help when they were debating the reserve opener position for this tour - but it may just be Carberry appealed as more likely to prosper in Australian conditions.
So far he has...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:32 pm

alfie wrote:But the only  "crime" of which Compton is held to be guilty is not being good enough to open for England in Test Matches...

One can agree or not with the selectors ; but there is no evidence that they have been moved by any other consideration.
It is possible his little public complaint about his treatment didn't help when they were debating the reserve opener position for this tour - but it may just be Carberry appealed as more likely to prosper in Australian conditions.
So far he has...
Exactly. thumbsup 

Whilst we may disagree with some of the selections, concentration now needs to be upon those in the tour party. Talking of which, Tremlett appears to have come through the latest match with no ill effects so far .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 08 Nov 2013, 1:59 pm

I've been saying for years Carberry should open with Cook. I get slated for saying it, but it is what should happen.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 08 Nov 2013, 3:07 pm

Not Carberry.

Too old to properly start a Test career, England should keep Root there. He'll thrive on the flatter wickets, and 5 more Tests will allow him to build his confidence - he could be England's opener for a decade or more.

Root to open, Ballance at 6. #trustinyouth

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 08 Nov 2013, 6:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:Not Carberry..

That sounds like a cracking idea Duty. Lets play someone with no international experience and has scored 0 runs in the warm up games. Over a guy who has hit 70 and 153*

Erm 

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm

Laugh

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:37 am

jimbohammers wrote: That sounds like a cracking idea Duty. Lets play someone with no international experience and has scored 0 runs in the warm up games. Over a guy who has hit 70 and 153*

Erm 
the overall skills , the long FC careers....recent forms in county cricket that led to selection itself comes down to a naught.
onlly the last 2 innings......against some pie-chucking B-grade bolwers in competition-less warm up game is ALL that counts .
that is a cracking strategy laughing 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 09 Nov 2013, 8:28 am

jimbohammers wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Not Carberry..

That sounds like a cracking idea Duty. Lets play someone with no international experience and has scored 0 runs in the warm up games. Over a guy who has hit 70 and 153*

Erm 
Ballance is nearly 10 runs better than Carberry in the FC averages, and Carberry's Test experience amounts to little more than against Bangladesh.

But hey ho, let's pick the weaker batsman with less potential, and relegate the chap who scored 180 in the summer by 4 places. Cracking idea.

Erm

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down