The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Prescott R.I.P

5 posters

Go down

Steve Prescott R.I.P Empty Steve Prescott R.I.P

Post by Kenny Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm

I know this has been mentioned on the rugby news thread but the man deserves his own recognition .

I met him quite a few times both when he was playing and again later after he was diagnosed with his cancer , he was always a true gentleman who had such a energy for life . I can honestly say that i have never met anyone else who wanted to do so much for others .

He was celebrated today by the crowd ( i know it was suppose to be a minutes silence but it just some how felt wrong to be silent and everyone just seemed to start clapping together ) by a minutes applause , the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when the East stand started singing ' There's only one Steve Prescott ' . We raised a glass to you tonight Steve after the game and in true form everyone gave their bit to your foundation as a bucket was passed around ............i think it was a small way to describe how much you were thought of by the rugby league family that not one person didn't put something in .

for those who don't know Steve's story i have put together a few notes from news storys from today , but they really dont do the man justice he was and is an inspiration -

He started his playing career at St Helens in 1993 making over a hundred appearances for them before signing for Hull FC in 1998 were he had two spells there with a season at Wakefield in between , he played internationally for both England and Ireland .
He retired through injury in 2004, after spending a year out of the game with a broken kneecap.
He was diagnosed with pseudomyxoma peritonei a form of stomach cancer in 2006 and was given only months to live , but he fought the disease and whilst doing so set up The Steve Prescott Foundation to raise money for charities ...the foundation has raised over £500,000 so far .
He was awarded a MBE in 2009
In 2012 he embarked on a remarkable challenge with former Great Britain international Paul Sculthorpe that consisted of running the Paris Marathon, cycling from Paris to Calais, rowing across the English Channel, cycling from Dover to London and finishing with the London Marathon. It was the third time Prescott had completed the famous London race.

That was one of many many many walks ,runs , cycles whatever he could do to try and raise money and awareness ..........to just help people .

It is a very sad day indeed for rugby league , Steve you are a Legend of a man .

my thoughts and prays go out to his wife Linzi and two children rose 

R.I.P Steve Prescott god bless
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Steve Prescott R.I.P Empty Re: Steve Prescott R.I.P

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Nov 2013, 7:06 am

Good effort Kenny.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 11 Nov 2013, 10:47 am

Sad news.

I remember Prescott playing for Saints and then Hull -brilliant fullback, probably second only to the great Kris Radlinski for a while there in super league..

RIP.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 11 Nov 2013, 4:04 pm

Couldn't agree more, brilliant player, even better man.

Thoughts to his family.

RIP

Just a thought but if every anyone deserved a statue its Steve.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:26 pm

Nice touch that The man of Steele award is now called The Steve Prescott Man of Steele award.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down