The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing vs UFC

+16
3fingers
jimdig
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Izzi
Clunge4life
Strongback
seanmichaels
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
J.Benson II
Rowley
Steffan
Lumbering_Jack
catchweight
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Pr4wn
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxing vs UFC Empty Boxing vs UFC

Post by Pr4wn Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:30 pm

Afternoon all,

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I really enjoy boxing but am not a devout follower in the way that some of you guys are. I am, however, a big fan of UFC and MMA fighting in general.

Do you guys feel that boxing would benefit from a more regimented structure such as that of the UFC? There is one champion at each weight, rather than the bizarre system of having multiple belts and boxing boards.

It's my opinion that boxing is losing many fans who simply cannot be bothered with the personal greed of promoters and fighters. Fans don't get to see the fights that they deserve because of personal issues, contracts, drug testing etc and this simply doesn't happen in the UFC.

Boxing has a fine, rich history but it's purity has been corrupted by money-grabbers. They'd better adapt quickly before boxing becomes a footnote below the UFC and MMA fighting in general.

What is the opinion of the boxing fans?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Boxing vs UFC Empty Re: Boxing vs UFC

Post by Guest Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:37 pm

Watched the Hendricks/St Pierre fight at the weekend and whilst there's an argument for Johny winning the fight, I personally had it to GSP 3-2. Ignore the fact that his face was a mess, he landed far more strikes, his work was cleaner and he took Hendricks down three times. Hendricks had a couple of takedowns yet GSP was up almost immediately, however, I bet Hendricks gets credit for it.

Judging is subjective and yet everyone appears to be screaming "robbery" I simply don't agree. In that respect, MMA is no different to boxing.

It was s close fight and Hendricks clearly hits hard but, if you follow the UFC you'll see there was clearly something not right with GSP on Saturday, he's usually much better than that. No disrespect to Hendricks but GSP has beaten better fighters than him with ease.

The only thing I do like about MMA over boxing is that you get the top guys fighting each other much more regularly.

You wouldn't see the Mayweather/Manny fiasco in the UFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:43 pm

I follow both to be fair but I think the UFC has lost some ground recently. Especially to Joe public. My mates all follow boxing but only couple follow the UFC.

I had Hendricks winning 3-2 in the fight. Just thought he bossed the exchanges and the clinches and looked the more likey to finish the fight.

I thought GSP was in trouble a couple of times but managed to regain composure and remain competitive. What decided the fight was who you gave the first round to and for me that was Hendricks all day long. But I wasn't surprised that GSP being the long time champ was given the benefit of the doubt. It was the same as Jones v Gustafsson the other week. I had Gustafsson winning 3-2 in a back and forth fight but still wasnt surprised that Jones got the nod there aswell. I think there is politics in the UFC as there is in boxing. GSP and Jones are pretty much the faces of the UFC so it doesnt surprise me that they dont want them to lose there titles in close fights. They are more well know then Hendricks and Gustafsson.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 23 Nov 2013, 12:06 am

Boxing is in decline and will continue to decline. I doubt I would have ever become a fan of boxing as it has been over the last decade or so if I hadnt got into it earlier. There are way too many fans now that think like boxing promoters anyway nowadays.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 12:23 am

UFC fighters cannot fight outside the organization and one only has to look at the whole Fedor situation to see it also has it's problems. The other main problem it has is being pretty boring.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:08 am

In my opinion, you're far more likely to see a boring boxing bout than a boring UFC fight!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:20 am

I look at the boxing audience and the UFC audience as being two totally different sets of people entirely. Most people I know who like boxing cant watch UFC. MMA generally is for skinhead guys who enjoy watching two other skinheads rolling around fighting on the floor in a cage. Thats fine...but under no circumstance are the majority of the MMA fans going to have an interest in a sport like boxing

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:22 am

I don’t really watch UFC but have seen enough to know it is not for me. However there is no denying they do a lot of things very well and it is beyond the matchmaking. One of the things they did brilliantly well in the early days was package their PPV’s and shows down into one hour programmes, used to catch these on Bravo and when you are cramming five fights into an hour show you can make even the most tedious of affairs look like world war three. Would imagine a lot of people made the transitions to either attending the shows or buying PPV’s on the back of watching these programmes. Also little things like having commentators who look genuinely excited to be there and ring card girls who don’t look like they can’t wait to get out of there makes a difference in creating a fresh and exciting vibe around the sport and events.

However have said it before but it is too early to tell if the sport has real legs to stick around. At the minute it is reasonably easy to have the best fight the best because White has them all under his banner and so if they don’t they are out and all the fighters know they are not going to make the same elsewhere. Should the sport continue to do well eventually someone will set up a rival promotional company with a different TV network and this is where the sport gets problems as eventually folk will realise they can earn more elsewhere or the same for easier fights and they are then starting to experience the problems boxing has.

The real hope was when UFC started to grow it would have been the wake up call boxing needed to get its house in order but as the Manny and Floyd situation showed the alarm bells were clearly not quite loud enough unfortunately.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:29 am

UFC has surely overtaken boxing in popularity in the USA. Most American's I have met don't give a damn about boxing anymore but are huge fans of MMA. The best American boxers (excluding PBF) struggle to sell out their local town hall.
In Europe though, the UFC hasnt really taken off and you rarely meet someone who follows it closely.
I enjoy MMA overall and appreciate the skill levels required. However, the UFC isnt without its problems. As SOF and LJ have already said, the big names can get favourable decisions and since the UFC was just one of several major MMA orginizations that have existed in recent years, the best guys never always fought each other either.

SOF mentioned the decline of the UFC in recent years, I think this could be due to the decline/retirement of Brock Lesnar. The UFC owe alot to Brock since he helped bring exposure to the orginization by attracting fans from wrestling. Since he's gone, some of these fans may have lost interest.
However, Dana White has done a great job with promoting the sport. White is a big boxing fan and corrected the flaws that were wrong with boxing. He knows that for a sport to have longevity it needs to keep the fans happy.
One thing though that I used to find amusing was when Dana White used to talk about drug testing in the UFC when Brock "gassed to his gills" Lesnar was the poster boy of the orginization. Laugh

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:32 am

Steffan wrote:I look at the boxing audience and the UFC audience as being two totally different sets of people entirely. Most people I know who like boxing cant watch UFC. MMA generally is for skinhead guys who enjoy watching two other skinheads rolling around fighting on the floor in a cage. Thats fine...but under no circumstance are the majority of the MMA fans going to have an interest in a sport like boxing

Regards
It isn't for skinheads Steffan. I've done quite a few martial arts in my time and whilst you do get knuckle heads who want to get tough, you also get the total opposite.

My most recent trainer had a PHD in something science related... Our best fighter was a trainee Dr, one of our semi pro champs was a Police sergeant.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:44 am

J.Benson II wrote:UFC has surely overtaken boxing in popularity in the USA. Most American's I have met don't give a damn about boxing anymore but are huge fans of MMA. The best American boxers (excluding PBF) struggle to sell out their local town hall.
In Europe though, the UFC hasnt really taken off and you rarely meet someone who follows it closely.
I enjoy MMA overall and appreciate the skill levels required. However, the UFC isnt without its problems. As SOF and LJ have already said, the big names can get favourable decisions and since the UFC was just one of several major MMA orginizations that have existed in recent years, the best guys never always fought each other either.

SOF mentioned the decline of the UFC in recent years, I think this could be due to the decline/retirement of Brock Lesnar. The UFC owe alot to Brock since he helped bring exposure to the orginization by attracting fans from wrestling. Since he's gone, some of these fans may have lost interest.
However, Dana White has done a great job with promoting the sport. White is a big boxing fan and corrected the flaws that were wrong with boxing. He knows that for a sport to have longevity it needs to keep the fans happy.
One thing though that I used to find amusing was when Dana White used to talk about drug testing in the UFC when Brock "gassed to his gills" Lesnar was the poster boy of the orginization. Laugh
Yeah but boxing isnt quite like other sports. its always one megafight or special fighter away from renewed interest. Ufc doesnt quite have that corner in most sports fans minds so has to work much harder to get much less than boxing

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:48 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Steffan wrote:I look at the boxing audience and the UFC audience as being two totally different sets of people entirely. Most people I know who like boxing cant watch UFC. MMA generally is for skinhead guys who enjoy watching two other skinheads rolling around fighting on the floor in a cage. Thats fine...but under no circumstance are the majority of the MMA fans going to have an interest in a sport like boxing

Regards
It isn't for skinheads Steffan. I've done quite a few martial arts in my time and whilst you do get knuckle heads who want to get tough, you also get the total opposite.

My most recent trainer had a PHD in something science related... Our best fighter was a trainee Dr, one of our semi pro champs was a Police sergeant.
You only have to which the recent series of the Ultimate Fighter to see the diverse backgrounds they come from and there personalities.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:49 am

I find KFC more interesting

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 23 Nov 2013, 1:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I find KFC more interesting
Well theres a surprise....

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:05 am

I do like UFC but think it was much better in the days of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Getting Vince McMahon in on the action was comedy genius.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:11 am

An actual live street fight is an ugly thing to watch. There's nothing cool about watching two people go at each other skilled or unskilled. It's far from entertainment. It's grisly and grotesque.

UFC is a different thing and the competitors have a huge range of skills but it still reminds me of the ugliness of a street fight. The ground and pound stuff in particular doesn't appeal to me along with number of heavy shots a guy on the ground takes sometimes when he's semi-conscious.

I know mma people argue that boxing gloves allow more sustained beatings to occur than the the 4oz mma mitts and that most of the damage in mma is cuts and scuffs particularly to the face. I still wonder about the number of KO's that happen in mma and what the long term damage from these will be. The new era of professional rugby has brought more intensity and bigger hits but the evidence is showing that the head trauma is leading to significant problems for players retiring now. It's a massive issue in American Football also.

The point I'm trying to make is that it looks to me that some UFC fighters are getting badly beat up and Dana White and Co couldn't care less. It doesn't help that most of the guys don't get paid a lot.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:15 am

Whilst I tend to agree I find the characterization of UFC fans as witless skinheads is pretty lazy there is something about the sport which appeals to a certain type of person. I remember someone posted footage of a knockout on here once, believe it was Bispring. He got caught by a shot and it was clear he was absolutely gone before he hit the floor, despite him falling pretty much unconscious his opponent leapt on him and gave him another completely unnecessary shot when he was down before the ref got chance to stop him. Not sure if such things are par for the course but it completely turned my stomach.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:17 am

As you can see from the newer fighters coming out, MMA is becoming huge in Brazil too and UFC is broadening its grip on world sport.

As for Steffan's comment earlier, it just goes to show how truly ignorant come people can be. This is just like saying football is just for chavs, or that cricket is just for posh people.

It seems to me that boxing knows its time is up and the promoters and old fighters are just trying to squeeze every last penny they can from it before it disappears completely.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:20 am

Rowley wrote:Whilst I tend to agree I find the characterization of UFC fans as witless skinheads is pretty lazy there is something about the sport which appeals to a certain type of person. I remember someone posted footage of a knockout on here once, believe it was Bispring. He got caught by a shot and it was clear he was absolutely gone before he hit the floor, despite him falling pretty much unconscious his opponent leapt on him and gave him another completely unnecessary shot when he was down before the ref got chance to stop him. Not sure if such things are par for the course but it completely turned my stomach.
Yeah was Dan Henderson. But let's not pretend things like that don't happen in boxing. You of course can't hit a downed opponent but often fighters are knocked out standing up only to be completely poleaxed with another shot.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:21 am

Pr4wn wrote:
It seems to me that boxing knows its time is up and the promoters and old fighters are just trying to squeeze every last penny they can from it before it disappears completely.
Boxings time is up that much that tomorrow night 20,000 people will be watching a fight in Manchester that sold out in less than a day. 20,000 funnily enough is around 20,000 less than either Klitschko brother attracts to their fights in Germany.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:22 am

Pr4wn wrote:As you can see from the newer fighters coming out, MMA is becoming huge in Brazil too and UFC is broadening its grip on world sport.

As for Steffan's comment earlier, it just goes to show how truly ignorant come people can be. This is just like saying football is just for chavs, or that cricket is just for posh people.

You can dream Mate............Boxing has survived in it's current form for nearly a 150 years.........Has a great heritage...........and will always be the top combat sport..........

Boxing is full of great stories, controversies, characters which lead to hollywood movies like Rocky, The harder they fall.............etc..

Something noble about two guys using their fists under Queensbury rules that appeals..... Not snogging and punching/kicking on the floor....like savages

Boxing will always be top dog kiddo.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:23 am

Rowley wrote:Whilst I tend to agree I find the characterization of UFC fans as witless skinheads is pretty lazy there is something about the sport which appeals to a certain type of person. I remember someone posted footage of a knockout on here once, believe it was Bispring. He got caught by a shot and it was clear he was absolutely gone before he hit the floor, despite him falling pretty much unconscious his opponent leapt on him and gave him another completely unnecessary shot when he was down before the ref got chance to stop him. Not sure if such things are par for the course but it completely turned my stomach.
Dan Henderosn vs Michael Bisping - a lot of bad blood between the two before the fight with being opposition coaches on The Ultimate Fighter reality Tv show - which is the reason Henderson added another shot when Bisping was clearly out - disgusting behaviour

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:30 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:As you can see from the newer fighters coming out, MMA is becoming huge in Brazil too and UFC is broadening its grip on world sport.

You can dream Mate............Boxing has survived in it's current form for nearly a 150 years.........Has a great heritage...........and will always be the top combat sport..........

Boxing is full of great stories, controversies, characters which lead to hollywood movies like Rocky, The harder they fall.............etc..
You not seen Here Comes The Boom?!?!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:31 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Yeah was Dan Henderson. But let's not pretend things like that don't happen in boxing. You of course can't hit a downed opponent but often fighters are knocked out standing up only to be completely poleaxed with another shot.
Think they'd had a few verbals in the build-up and Henderson was widely criticised for his actions although some said that Bisping deserved it as he's a loud mouth. Plenty of dirty fighters/masters of the dark arts in boxing too so I can't see why some would take such great exception to the aafters from an MMS fighter when then are many others in their preferred sport who conduct themselves in a similarly graceless fashion.

Back in the early days, the rules of UFC were something along the lines of "no biting no gouging and stay away from the gonads". Apart from that, pretty much anything went. There were KO's where one guy would repeatedly back elbow an unconscious guy in the head until the ref had finished smoking and chatting and wandered over to wave it off.

It went through a dodgy patch and a couple of Italian brothers bought it and appointed Dana White to run the whole shebang

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:33 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Something noble about two guys using their fists under Queensbury rules that appeals..... Not snogging and punching/kicking  on the floor....like savages

Boxing will always be top dog kiddo.
Obviously boxing has a more rich heritage and history than MMA, I acknowledged that earlier. Are you always like this? Read up kiddo.

But boxing is becoming less and less popular and has lost a lot of its more hardcore fans. Surely you can acknowledge that?

I understand the romantic appeal that boxing has, I understand the stories and whatnot but you must admit that boxing is losing ground to MMA. The best don't fight the best any more, there's way too much pathetic trash talking and when a bit fight comes around, it's often a complete let-down. the fact that Floyd Mayweather and the K brothers are such long-time champs speaks volumes. All of them are such dull fighters and their bouts are usually complete snore-fests.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:36 am

I don't like your sport.........It's for savages that can't hack it going one on one with just fists as weapons........

Remember that muppet that kickboxed and got battered of Julius Francis years ago.......Good case in point..

If I want to watch UFc......I'll go into Town on a Saturday night.........

A sport for guys that need to use their feet like girls......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:41 am

Again, the ignorance of some astounds me.

The annoying thing is that I really like boxing. I love the hype of a big fight, I love the excitement that's generated and, as stated above, I love the skill involved.

It's just a shame that boxing has become what it is.

I don't want to make this into a thread about which sport is better or worse. That's not what I was asking. It's just my opinion that boxing needs to reform if it wants to retain its popularity.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:44 am

Boxing does need to reform. I think everyone agrees with that. Boxing could learn from lots of sports though not just MMA

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:46 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't like your sport.........It's for savages that can't hack it going one on one with just fists as weapons........

Remember that muppet that kickboxed and got battered of Julius Francis years ago.......Good case in point..

Could also cite James Toney getting his rear end handed to him by Randy Couture but that wouldn't fit in with your theory that they're unskilled meatheads.

..and where are these fights you watch with girls using their feet? Most of the punch ups I've seen involving women have involved punches thrown with wild albeit unco-ordinated abandon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:47 am

You said Boxing knows it's time is up..........

and some of us are ignorant.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:47 am

James Toney......ha ha..........He was an old man....

Go back to sleep..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:49 am

DAVE667 wrote:Watched the Hendricks/St Pierre fight at the weekend and whilst there's an argument for Johny winning the fight, I personally had it to GSP 3-2. Ignore the fact that his face was a mess, he landed far more strikes, his work was cleaner and he took Hendricks down three times. Hendricks had a couple of takedowns yet GSP was up almost immediately, however, I bet Hendricks gets credit for it.

Judging is subjective and yet everyone appears to be screaming "robbery" I simply don't agree. In that respect, MMA is no different to boxing.

It was s close fight and Hendricks clearly hits hard but, if you follow the UFC you'll see there was clearly something not right with GSP on Saturday, he's usually much better than that. No disrespect to Hendricks but GSP has beaten better fighters than him with ease.

The only thing I do like about MMA over boxing is that you get the top guys fighting each other much more regularly.

Probably the best serious post Dave has ever produced on fighting in his history on BBC 606 or V2. Peter Jackson was too tongue in cheek.

There' some mma board crying out for someone like Dave.  He doesn't really like boxing so he would fit right in.

Last edited by Strongback on Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:51 am

In its current form, its time is up. It can't carry on losing this many fans.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:James Toney......ha ha..........He was an old man....

Go back to sleep..
Surely the over-riding talents of the former world champion would be enough to negate the primitive skills of the knuckle dragging UFC star?

Like I said, you can be somewhat selective when you decide which parts of the argument to pursue.

The fact remains that whilst you don't like or appreciate it, there is a fair degree of skill involved and, if you don't think so, you might want to try it yourself and see how your own boxing abilities fare against someone with a basic understanding of MMA.

All opinions welcome, including yours Captain Diddly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:56 am

Pr4wn wrote:In its current form, its time is up. It can't carry on losing this many fans.
Do you have any actual evidence to confirm this loss of fans. I can provide evidence in terms of attendance and PPV buys from recent fights that would suggest there is no loss of fans or if there is it is nowhere near as pronounced as you claim, you don't seem to have much in the way of evidence to actually support your claims.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't like your sport.........It's for savages that can't hack it going one on one with just fists as weapons........

You are hilarious Truss...

Vince Phillips fought a Thai boxer and was stopped in 2. Was brutal.

We need to remember they are different sports. A boxer will win in a boxing match but will lose in another discipline.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:56 am

Pr4wn wrote:In its current form, its time is up. It can't carry on losing this many fans.
So boxing just dies does it ???

A sizeable portion of the world knows who Mayweather and Manny are...........and over here Froch and Haye.......Who's heard of any UFC fighters...

I thought Dana White was something you bought off Dulux !!

Little sport for class-less punks........No wonder DAVE is sticking up for you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 2:57 am

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Watched the Hendricks/St Pierre fight at the weekend and whilst there's an argument for Johny winning the fight, I personally had it to GSP 3-2. Ignore the fact that his face was a mess, he landed far more strikes, his work was cleaner and he took Hendricks down three times. Hendricks had a couple of takedowns yet GSP was up almost immediately, however, I bet Hendricks gets credit for it.

Probably the best serious post Dave has ever produced on fighting in his history on BBC 606 or V2. Peter Jackson was too tongue in cheek.

There' some mma board crying out for someone like Dave.  He doesn't really like boxing so he would fit right in.
Might need to take a run at this one..................YYYAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNN!
There we are!

Strongy doesn't like boxing either but he's banned from TWITTER so this is the only place where he gets to slag off David Haye and Eddie Hearn since since his wife stopped him from writing "I hate you" repeatedly on their bathroom wall in his own sh!te (for years he was using someone else's).

Somewhere there's a One Direction forum crying out for someone like Strongy (you know, an object of ridicule everyone can join in to laugh at) cos it's only a matter of time before he quits this forum in a massive huff due to the fact that he's the laughing stock of the internet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:01 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
So boxing just dies does it ???

A sizeable portion of the world knows who Mayweather and Manny are...........and over here Froch and Haye.......Who's heard of any UFC fighters...

I thought Dana White was something you bought off Dulux !!

Little sport for class-less punks........No wonder DAVE is sticking up for you..
Whilst I'm sure it was supposed to be funny, it's also a shining (brilliant white) example of your ignorance. Like I say, you don't have to like it but to dismiss it out of hand is wrong too.

I suppose there'll even come a point where you'll praise Dereck Chisora's boxing skills in order to denegrate MMA and then we know we're f****d

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:03 am

Rowley wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
Boxings time is up that much that tomorrow night 20,000 people will be watching a fight in Manchester that sold out in less than a day. 20,000 funnily enough is around 20,000 less than either Klitschko brother attracts to their fights in Germany.
Yeah, no doubting that boxing is still big in Britain and Europe. However, I do think boxing in the states is in dire straits. Top P4P'ers like Ward and Bradley barely sell. America hardly win boxing medals in the Olympics anymore which suggests a decline in participation. And lets not get started on the American HW's.
I actually remember last time I went to America, I tried talking to my cousin and his buddies about boxing and they said they havent really cared about boxing since the old "Tyson" days. They all crowded around the TV to watch a UFC event though.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:03 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Might need to take a run at this one..................YYYAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNN!
There we are!

Strongy doesn't like boxing either but he's banned from TWITTER so this is the only place where he gets to slag off David Haye and Eddie Hearn since since his wife stopped him from writing "I hate you" repeatedly on their bathroom wall in his own sh!te (for years he was using someone else's).

Somewhere there's a One Direction forum crying out for someone like Strongy (you know, an object of ridicule everyone can join in to laugh at) cos it's only a matter of time before he quits this forum in a massive huff due to the fact that he's the laughing stock of the internet.
Again Dave there's no content in your post. You're a massive windbag who actually says nothing.

You haven't spoken about your wife recently, are things OK?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:04 am

Boxing is in a right state. Its lost a lot of its prestige as a sport but interest can be made up with hype and marketing. As long the public have an appetite for a good fight and there is money to made it will soldier on. Things like being a champion, being the best in a division and so on are massively watered down now. Its generally not good value for the fan either.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:05 am

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

There we are!

Again Dave there's no content in your post.  You're a massive windbag who actually says nothing.

Let's not bring Wives into it..........It's depressing...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:06 am

Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

There we are!

Again Dave there's no content in your post.  You're a massive windbag who actually says nothing.

And I'm still more interesting than you. Like I said STRONGY, you've had your hole handed to you and you don't like it. However, live with it fella and move on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:07 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

There we are!

Let's not bring Wives into it..........It's depressing...
Agreed, there have to be some standards on here

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:08 am

I prefer boxing without doubt. But the reason some boxing fans dismiss MMA is because in a 'fight' the MMA fighter would win 99 times out of 100.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:10 am

Not in a Boxing match........But probably true in a streetfight .....Because only pussies kick and hit people while they are down..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:12 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not in a Boxing match........But probably true in a streetfight .....Because only pussies kick and hit people while they are down..
What's wrong with kicking? Why is that less acceptable than punching someone in the face?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:12 am

If boxing is so in decline why has Mayweather been paid some scary amount of money for a contract of fights?

As others have pointed out you have no evidence to back up your claim, which quite frankly is either just a wum attempt or you clearly have severe mental issues regarding denial.

Fact is UFC gets nowhere near the gate receipts of boxing, nowhere near the money ppv channels throw at the fighters etc.

Produce some evidence or get on your bike back to mentallyunstableville

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:17 am

J.Benson II wrote:UFC has surely overtaken boxing in popularity in the USA. Most American's I have met don't give a damn about boxing anymore but are huge fans of MMA. The best American boxers (excluding PBF) struggle to sell out their local town hall.

Talking to a handful of Americans you come up with that!!??

Look at boxing in general, York Hall, Bluewater....PBF, Manny and co are at the top. The sport cannot be judged on other fighters not packing tens of thousands into a venue.

There are plenty of MMA cards outside of the BIG ufc events that scrape a couple of hundred. But because you spoke to a few Americans, that means nothing about which is more popular.

Personally I'd say boxing is far more popular in the US, not only do Floyd, Manny sell millions in PPV's and tickets, look at Marquez, Bradley, Chavez Jr.....blah blah blah. The rest are still selling 4000+ tickets every fight and these kind of fights are taking place every week. How do you think lower level MMA fighters would sell should they have their own headlined events??? I'd argue and say not very many. The fact the top guys are taking on each other helps sell "A" card, but the guys on the undercard who hold belts and aren't too well known couldn't ever sell tickets the way Danny Garcia, Devon Alexander and co could. They aren't big sellers, but they still do ok numbers based on their profiles.

There are thousands of MMA cards in the US, and the big UFC event is the only one that sells and they need tons of big fighters even to do that.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next