The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nominations for player of the year are out

+22
aucklandlaurie
The Great Aukster
Luckless Pedestrian
kingraf
GunsGerms
beshocked
blackcanelion
rainbow-warrior
Biltong
LuvSports!
quinsforever
TJ
Notch
Bullsbok
Taylorman
Scratch
doctor_grey
bedfordwelsh
Nachos Jones
theslosty
BigTrevsbigmac
littlejohn
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Irb player of the year should be

Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_lcap68%Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 19 ]
Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_lcap25%Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 7 ]
Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_lcap4%Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_lcap3%Nominations for player of the year are out Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 28

Nominations for player of the year are out Empty Nominations for player of the year are out

Post by littlejohn Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:03 am

Not much surprises on the short list, with 1/2P and Read most peoples favourites for getting the title.

Nominees: Eben Etzebeth (South Africa), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales and British and Irish Lions), Sergio Parisse (Italy), Kieran Read (New Zealand) and Ben Smith (New Zealand).

Disappointed Jean De Villiers didn't make it - has had a fantastic season both in S15 and the Rugby Championship and would be no. 3 in my players of the year, behind 1/2P and Read overall the best player of the year.

Edit: Added poll to get 606 non-partisan views - yeah right!

Last edited by littlejohn on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added poll)

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Nominations for player of the year are out Empty Re: Nominations for player of the year are out

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:05 am

Can't disagree with that LJ

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Nominations for player of the year are out Empty Re: Nominations for player of the year are out

Post by theslosty Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:22 am

Agree with de Villiers and Israel Folau couldn't have been far off.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 am

Cant see past Halfpenny myself. IMO he is the best player in the world right now and has been for a while.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:27 pm

theslosty wrote:Agree with de Villiers and Israel Folau couldn't have been far off.

Folau has been excellent too - i'd have etebeth and smith marginally ahead as both were superb throughout the RC.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:46 pm

What no BOD, did Gatland pick the shortlist Run 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Halfpenny had a terrific season. Lions tour was the topper. A signature moment.
Etzebeth continues to improve and was also quite oog. I think a half-step behind Halfpenny.
Parisse always seems to have been nominated. Would really like to see him on a more talented team.
DeVilliers, I agree, merited being a finalist for a vote like this
Ben Smith very good season, but not quite as good as Read or Halfpo3enny
Read to me the co-winner with Halfpenny

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:47 pm

A 14th W for Read?

If he wins it will be on the back of the All Blacks.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

And of course Halfpenny plays in teams of 1.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Scratch wrote:A 14th W for Read?

and the stupidest post of 2013 goes to ? Scratch , well done fella clap 
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Kieran Read for me. Halfpenny hasn't impressed me as much as an all-round player, if it was on goalkicking in big games he would win it for sure but I think it should go to the player who is closest to being perfect in his position. I can find more fault in Halfpennys game as a 15 than I can with Reads as an 8.

If that sounds negative on Halfpenny, it's not. He is the second best player in World Rugby right now- not bad, eh?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Scratch wrote:A 14th W for Read?

and the stupidest post of 2013 goes to ? Scratch , well done fella clap 

Thanks Bull

You are definitely the best qualified to judge the stupidity quotient of a post thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Read. Halfpenny needs the shackles taken off and allowed to attack. we only see a farthing from him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Halfpenny will win it one year. If its not this it will be a later one. Its been made very obvious that his attack needs to come out more so it probably will. Then presto...best FB in the world...in full colours.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:10 pm

when does the winner get announced?

tough game for Read today against an ireland back line playing out of their skin. but the fact that NZ won, and finished with a 100% record, and Read's unreal flick pass to the winger (think it was to savea half way through the second half), did it for me.

1/2P has many years ahead of him. would feel wrong for a player in their first full season in a position to get the award IMO, compared to Read and what his team have accomplished.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 pm

quinsforever wrote:when does the winner get announced?

tough game for Read today against an ireland back line playing out of their skin. but the fact that NZ won, and finished with a 100% record, and Read's unreal flick pass to the winger (think it was to savea half way through the second half), did it for me.

1/2P has many years ahead of him. would feel wrong for a player in their first full season in a position to get the award IMO, compared to Read and what his team have accomplished.
Sure you would have been the first to say that had Farrell won last season.

Why would it 'feel' wrong? If this was his first season in position - it isn't - if he is good enough to be nominated then he is good enough to win. Check your facts before you post, 1/2 played every 6 Nations game of Wales Slam in 2012 at FB. This is by no means his first season.

Does pointing tout yet another of your inaccuracy in your post make me 'sensitive'?

And as you state yourself, Halfpenny's comparison is with 'Read and what his team have accomplished' not a comparison between both players individual impact. Read's is massive, there is no doubt. Half's is tournament changing. Of that there is no doubt, he has made a bigger individual impact.

Really , after today's great escape by a kicker you would expect anyone to have a better grasp of what just one aspect of Half's game brings to the table.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Scratch wrote:

Why would it 'feel' wrong? If this was his first season in position - it isn't - if he is good enough to be nominated then he is good enough to win. Check your facts before you post, 1/2 played every 6 Nations game of Wales Slam in 2012 at FB. This is by no means his first season.

Does pointing tout yet another of your inaccuracy in your post make me 'sensitive'?

And as you state yourself, Halfpenny's comparison is with 'Read and what his team have accomplished'  not a comparison between both players individual impact. Read's is massive, there is no doubt. Half's is tournament changing. Of that there is no doubt, he has made a bigger individual impact.

Really , after today's great escape by a kicker you would expect anyone to have a better grasp of what just one aspect of Half's game brings to the table.

yes scratch...we got to see exactly that aspect when Halfpenny failed to nail the test vs the ozzies by doing exactly as Sexton did. Is directly losing a test match as an individual player of the year quality?

Youre correct in that his actions were tournament changing. He could have lost the series. He combined with others to win it...as did Read. Stop trying to push that Halfpenny is a one man band. He aint. He needed his side to get any of his points. A ridiculous statement

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:56 pm

And i have to assume Read has never a mistake in a test has he.

Even Half's mistakes have a bigger impact on a game - you remember his missed kick v France in the RWC

But while he can cost games because he is the man his capt turns too, he can also win them, and tournaments too, by his kicking. 2011 v Ireland he slots a last minute penalty.

Take a look at his % stats

You may dismiss kicking down there as some lower form of rugby and you may have  a point, but fact is without kicking today you would have been drowning yourselves in guinness by now

Note your edit

Here is what is ridiculous, I haven't said he is a one man band…Read seems to be the one man band. McCaw and carter can be one man bands, world's best, without measure or equal but a welsh fullback can't be!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:01 pm

scratch, ypu are digging a deeper hole. Halfpenny lost two international matches of the highest order. The France one does not get any higher for Wales. That was the most important kick of Wales entire rugby history if the World cup is the measure.

Yet you are advocating this as a plus. Or is it he just cant put away the big ones when it matters? He's tournament deciding alright. but not in the way you believe. Unbelievable.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 pm

No Taylorman, don't be obtuse.

How or why would i advocate this a plus? be specific

You suggested Half fluffed v the aussies and that was how he made an impact…a poor dig really

I pointed out of course he will make mistakes being the kicker, and conversely he will win games and tournaments, being in his position he will lose them too

And yes his miss v France at max range at the end of the game was poor, as was his miss to Aus.

His stats though tell the story

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:25 pm

It's a good point re halfpenny being in a worse team.

Is Halfpenny's impact extra special because he makes a decent team much better or is it a bigger achievement to outshine a team of fantastic players?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 pm

Scratch wrote:No Taylorman, don't be obtuse.

How or why would i advocate this a plus? be specific

You suggested Half fluffed v the aussies and that was how he made an impact…a poor dig really

I pointed out of course he will make mistakes being the kicker, and conversely he will win games and tournaments, being in his position he will lose them too

And yes his miss v France at max range at the end of the game was poor, as was his miss to Aus.

His stats though tell the story
yes but you up his stats and abilities as a goalkicker up as a reason to be voted best rugby player in the world... please. give the goalkicking a miss. Look at the number of games he 'sat out' and did nothing but kick and make one or two tackles.

Have you actually watched Reads matches? Seen his workrate, his match winning offloads, game breaking tries this year vs the boks etc. To say that Halfpenny has contributed more to a series win than read is a complete joke.

'his stats tell the story'...geez... what a crock.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am

going back to my original question - does anyone know typically when the winner gets announced?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 am

Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

And as you state yourself, Halfpenny's comparison is with 'Read and what his team have accomplished'  not a comparison between both players individual impact. Read's is massive, there is no doubt. Half's is tournament changing. Of that there is no doubt, he has made a bigger individual impact.

yes scratch...we got to see exactly that aspect when Halfpenny failed to nail the test vs the ozzies by doing exactly as Sexton did. Is directly losing a test match as an individual player of the year quality?

Youre correct in that his actions were tournament changing. He could have lost the series. He combined with others to win it...as did Read. Stop trying to push that Halfpenny is a one man band. He aint. He needed his side to get any of his points. A ridiculous statement
farrell nomination was ridiculous. not sure what thats got to do with 1/2P or Read?

first FULL season at FB

your sensitivity is not really up for debate

"Of that there is no doubt, he has made a bigger individual impact"

i am glad for you, for your confidence and for your certainty. always more impressive when in a clear minority.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 am

When the Irb awards are announced. Best team, coach etc. Not really fussed who actually wins it as I have my own opinion, and that's all the award is. May not even be read or halfpenny. The ABs will no doubt win a couple of awards so maybe sharing them around would be a good thing. Sure like Ireland to get something as their first half and fight to the end was incredible. Can't imagine how gutted theyd feel after that. I mean what more can you do to win a test.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:19 am

1/2P wouldnt have missed that kick, allegedly.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 am

quinsforever wrote:1/2P wouldnt have missed that kick, allegedly.
Wasn't a tough kick for any kicker so that applies to anyone at basic senior level and even lower.
Halfpenny so far HAS missed two massive match winning kicks so regardless of the reason...who knows. No one is immune to pressure and near misses happen from non pressure kicks. Just one of those things.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 am

quinsforever wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Scratch wrote:

farrell nomination was ridiculous. not sure what thats got to do with 1/2P or Read?

first FULL season at FB

your sensitivity is not really up for debate

"Of that there is no doubt, he has made a bigger individual impact"

i am glad for you, for your confidence and for your certainty. always more impressive when in a clear minority.

Quins, sorry for being oversensitive but you're showing your ignorance yet again, it's at least a daily occurrence and becoming very embarrassing to deal with

Half has played 15 since Oct 11 v Ireland at RWC

He is not some debutante as you clearly and wrongly believe…not that you let being factually wrong get in the way of your posts, to your credit you are at least consistent on that front, I think your comments about not earning it in his first season only really apply to Farrell

get your facts right (please just once) laddy before you starting chiming in

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 am

Some say its a doddle..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11162153

Read has delivered consistently excellent performances against the best: against the toughest men, in the most pressure-filled, high-intensity occasions.

He was the star of the Johannesburg classic. He was the man running strongest by the end of the epic battle against England. It was Read who drove through the soft underbelly of the Springbok pack at Eden Park. He's faced the best and outplayed the best - there have been no soft opponents for him to distort the picture.

As All Black coach Steve Hansen, said: "Reado should be named the player of the year, if they're doing their work right. He's had an outstanding year and he's probably the best player in the world at the moment."

Halfpenny has been excellent - but his crowning moment was against a Wallaby side who were in disarray. If he'd kicked the Lions to victory against the Boks or All Blacks, then his case would be strong.

The Welsh itinerary has been lighter and easier too - tests against Scotland, Italy, Tonga and Argentina.

The judging in the past has been erratic and hard to understand. Daniel Carter winning last year ahead of Richie McCaw? McCaw winning in 2009 ahead of Brian O'Driscoll? Shane Williams winning ahead of Carter in 2008? The list goes on.

It doesn't always make sense, but 2013 should be a doddle for the judges.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 am

Good luck to both players and everyone else in contention, in my experience whatever the perceived craziness of the debate beforehand, when the decision is made we all accept it to be the right one, this year will be no different

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 am

na...like it says, they often get it wrong.
The only real reason I'd like Read to get it is so his two little girls can spell out in the playground that 'my daddy's the bestest rugby player in the whole wide world"...and be right!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 am

You know what Taylorman, that would be awesome

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:05 am

It is just an award, accolades to the player the panel feels had the most impact in the year or a certain tournament. Nothing more.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:26 am

Taylorman wrote:Some say its a doddle..

Read has delivered consistently excellent performances against the best: against the toughest men, in the most pressure-filled, high-intensity occasions.

He was the star of the Johannesburg classic. He was the man running strongest by the end of the epic battle against England. It was Read who drove through the soft underbelly of the Springbok pack at Eden Park. He's faced the best and outplayed the best - there have been no soft opponents for him to distort the picture.

As All Black coach Steve Hansen, said: "Reado should be named the player of the year, if they're doing their work right. He's had an outstanding year and he's probably the best player in the world at the moment."

Halfpenny has been excellent - but his crowning moment was against a Wallaby side who were in disarray. If he'd kicked the Lions to victory against the Boks or All Blacks, then his case would be strong.

The Welsh itinerary has been lighter and easier too - tests against Scotland, Italy, Tonga and Argentina.

The judging in the past has been erratic and hard to understand. Daniel Carter winning last year ahead of Richie McCaw? McCaw winning in 2009 ahead of Brian O'Driscoll? Shane Williams winning ahead of Carter in 2008? The list goes on.

Total ball sacks really.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 am

According to irb website the winner will be announced at the end of the november internationals. So that should be after next weekend.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 am

Don't think next weekend counts as it's outside the international window. I think it's due to announce din the next couple of days.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Some say its a doddle..

Total ball sacks really.
Really? Do you think its feasible that the best player from by far the best side of the year should get the honour? Is it that unlikely that a side with 100% wins for the year will have the years best player? Or do you go with your local Tongan mechanics rainbow?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:42 am

How about a poll?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 am

Of course Kieran Read should win.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 am

blackcanelion wrote:Don't think next weekend counts as it's outside the international window. I think it's due to announce din the next couple of days.
thanks.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:What no BOD, did Gatland pick the shortlist Run 
God some people really cant get over O'Driscoll. There is actually the same or similar joke on nearly every thread and yet the Irish are accused of continously rehashing the Lions debacle. Painful.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Always found the best team award a bit idiotic, tbh... I mean, aren't the rankings supposed to tell you that!?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Notch wrote:I can find more fault in Halfpennys game as a 15 than I can with Reads as an 8.
Yep. It is (or should be) as simple as that. Read is a better all-round number eight than Halfpenny is an all-round full back.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm

agree. Read has never missed a kick Wink

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:46 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Don't think next weekend counts as it's outside the international window. I think it's due to announce din the next couple of days.
Well that extra weekend could have made all the difference. You could see another barnstorming performance from 1/2p that would have tipped he balance in his favour.....we'll never know assuming read wins!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:19 pm

littlejohn wrote:
Well that extra weekend could have made all the difference. You could see another barnstorming performance from 1/2p that would have tipped he balance in his favour.....we'll never know assuming read wins!
Next week I've heard are the awards but I think BC is correct. Read was rated highest AB performer from last weeks match with the only 8 here.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:42 am

The smart money's on Halfpenny - even if he isn't the full schilling.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Added a poll to get the 606v2 views....

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Rugby League has just announced its International player of the Year, Some guy called Sonny Bill Williams.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11164165

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:31 am

He and Ingliss were nominated I know.
Some might not like him but he sure is talented. Back with the Chiefs in WCup year...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next