The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Porter and Alexander, where now?

+5
Snakeyman123
BoxingFan88
owen10ozzy
Lance
John Bloody Wayne
9 posters

Go down

Porter and Alexander, where now? Empty Porter and Alexander, where now?

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:40 pm

Alexander's always been a fighter who has a totally uninspiring effort for every counter punching masterclass he puts in. Been on the end of some favourable scoring, not exciting in the slightest. Unconvinced or overrated is the word most would have for him, and last night showed why.

I've seen Porter fight a couple of times before. He's pretty one dimensional, and I mean that in the nicest way possible because I can't help but support him. He's like a tenacious little jack russel who won't let go when he has a burst football in his mouth. Stocky, strong, with a fire hydrant neck that has absorbed every shot I've seen him take so far. He's got speed, toughness and workrate by the bucket load. You know what he'll do though, he'll back away before launching into prolonged raid attacks. He spends more time in bursts of attack than he does evading punishment, and that's what Alexander couldn't deal with. Devon's not good enough coming forward to do anything when Porter backed off, and Porter was too rapid, unpredictable and relentless when he went on the attack. Awkward but exciting. I've never been convinced by his one shot power though Alexander may disagree as he was wobbled badly a couple of times.

So where now? Alexander's too dull not to beat under dogs like Porter at a canter. People will only watch if he's actually a top talent because he hardly puts on a show. All he's really got going for him is is looks.

Porter I can see getting beat when he faces a puncher with some timing, but he's hell for most pure boxers out there even if he won't beat them all. I'm sure he gained some fans last night, so who should he go for next? I'd like to see him face Khan, but Amir has bigger fish to get fried by.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Porter and Alexander, where now? Empty Re: Porter and Alexander, where now?

Post by Lance Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:06 pm

Porter was better than expected. Knew he had some talent but I thought he was going to slow down more as the fight progressed. Looked like he had trained very hard for that one. Credit to him.

Did Alexander take him too lightly though. Maybe he thought it was a good defence for him to get back on track. The injuries have affected him, his fitness was not as good as it has been last night, and he lacked any sharpness. Alexander will never have the power or the confidence to set the WW division on fire, but what he must do is use his attributes to there full effect. He will probably be thinking if he can get back in they gym and get back to full fitness that he can be lighter on his feet and harder to hit in a rematch.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:09 pm

Good little review of last night John and agree with a lot of what you say. Devon will have to take the rematch really as their is little else out there for him now. He is firmly entrenched in the 'who needs him' club...somewhere I imagine he will be stuck for a long time to come. He doesn't particularly sell well, no real big fan base behind him and based on his performances I wouldn't imagine any networks would be all that thrilled about a card involving him. Shows you how quickly the boxing landscape can change when for the past 12 months he was due to fight first Brook....then Khan and was even touted as a possible Mayweather opponent. In the space of 12 hours he now has no title around his waste and very few places to go in terms of moving forward.

Porter showed what grit, determination and tenacity can do for you last night. With the greatest of respect he is nothing special. When watching his attributes nothing really stands out; however he does very little wrong. What I did notice was how easily he was able to nullify Devon when in the clinch and on the inside...now that could be down to how bad Alexander was but also may point to that being the real strength in Porters arsenal...time will tell.

I have to say, I have never particularly rated Devon (easy to say in the aftermath but past posts will support that statment). He has always seemed ripe for the taking and I would imagine Kell will be kicking himself now...and even Amir may look at it as opportunity missed. He isn't busy enough to keep someone honest, doesn't punch hard enough to discourage and when things aren't going his way looks resigned to defeat. That is the one thing which really stuck out last night...and has done in the past (Bradley & Matthysse). He didn't particularly look like he wanted to be there and when he couldn't find an answer he didn't know what to do. Certainly don't think he is love with the sport to the extent you perhaps need to be to truly stand amongst the elite.

Early reports suggest that the rematch won't be going ahead anytime soon; instead Brook will get the first crack at Porter and I have to say...I think that is a more interesting match up and the tougher one for Kell. I think he would have outboxed Alexander all night, and I don't think Devon would have been good to change it up and try to fight on the inside. Porter however has the ability to shut down the pot shot raids which will come from Kell; and if he gets the fight on the inside then Brook is going to be in for a tough tough fight. I would imagine the fight will be similar to the one he had with Carson Jones.

Well done to Shawn, thoroughly deserved winner...and can imagine he will stick around at this level for a while...being one of those thorn in the side fighters for many Welterweights.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 6:12 pm

Never rated Alexander, but he has had some good wins, especially against Maidana.

Shawn Porter shocked a lot of people last night putting in a superb performance, not a lot of people thought it would even be competitive.

Alexander really looks silly now, considering he said that Porter shouldn't even be in the ring with him.....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 9:05 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Good little review of last night John and agree with a lot of what you say. Devon will have to take the rematch really as their is little else out there for him now. He is firmly entrenched in the 'who needs him' club...somewhere I imagine he will be stuck for a long time to come. He doesn't particularly sell well, no real big fan base behind him and based on his performances I wouldn't imagine any networks would be all that thrilled about a card involving him. Shows you how quickly the boxing landscape can change when for the past 12 months he was due to fight first Brook....then Khan and was even touted as a possible Mayweather opponent. In the space of 12 hours he now has no title around his waste and very few places to go in terms of moving forward.

Porter showed what grit, determination and tenacity can do for you last night. With the greatest of respect he is nothing special. When watching his attributes nothing really stands out; however he does very little wrong. What I did notice was how easily he was able to nullify Devon when in the clinch and on the inside...now that could be down to how bad Alexander was but also may point to that being the real strength in Porters arsenal...time will tell.

I have to say, I have never particularly rated Devon (easy to say in the aftermath but past posts will support that statment). He has always seemed ripe for the taking and I would imagine Kell will be kicking himself now...and even Amir may look at it as opportunity missed. He isn't busy enough to keep someone honest, doesn't punch hard enough to discourage and when things aren't going his way looks resigned to defeat. That is the one thing which really stuck out last night...and has done in the past (Bradley & Matthysse). He didn't particularly look like he wanted to be there and when he couldn't find an answer he didn't know what to do. Certainly don't think he is love with the sport to the extent you perhaps need to be to truly stand amongst the elite.

Early reports suggest that the rematch won't be going ahead anytime soon; instead Brook will get the first crack at Porter and I have to say...I think that is a more interesting match up and the tougher one for Kell. I think he would have outboxed Alexander all night, and I don't think Devon would have been good to change it up and try to fight on the inside. Porter however has the ability to shut down the pot shot raids which will come from Kell; and if he gets the fight on the inside then Brook is going to be in for a tough tough fight. I would imagine the fight will be similar to the one he had with Carson Jones.

Well done to Shawn, thoroughly deserved winner...and can imagine he will stick around at this level for a while...being one of those thorn in the side fighters for many Welterweights.
Good 'little review' - patronising git....

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:56 am

Hahaha

Unless there's a rematch clause, why should there even be a rematch? It's not like the loser showed grit and determination to win, unlike say Groves against Froch or Mahysse against Garcia. Don't see why Alexander deserves a rematch from that.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm

Alexander is just over rated.

Gifted a decision against Kotelnik and Mathyssee so should have lost 4 now instead of 2!!

Over rated fighter, complete and utter hypejob.

Hope he goes back to fighting at the "family arena" with that man sausage head Cunningham.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

Kell Brook is lined up to face him, Porter's team have 90 days to set up the fight with him or relinquish the belt.

I actually picked Porter last night to win when I saw him int he changing rooms.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:11 pm

Good pick!

I would back him to beat Brook. He seems like sort who won't get discouraged. In the two Porter fights I've seen before Alexander he showed the same relentless workrate throughout. Man's endless.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:12 pm

Porter is a tough customer.

Hopefully he puts the 'prospect of life' Brook into retirement.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

Thought that Julio Diaz put him extremely close twice and got a draw with Porter, and I just think Kell is a step above Diaz, talentwise, speed wise, freshness, phsyically, punching power, technique... Porter makes it tough though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:31 pm

I didn't think the rematch was that close. Close for the first four maybe then Porter took over.

Although I'd back Brook to beat Diaz too, he's a totally different style and has come across as comfortable with guys who are in your face and give you no space. Brook's timing's pretty good though, so it should be intriguing should it happen.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Kell Brook is lined up to face him, Porter's team have 90 days to set up the fight with him or relinquish the belt.

I actually picked Porter last night to win when I saw him int he changing rooms.

Alex, you've been warned before about hanging around male changing rooms.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down