The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!!

+19
Cardiff Dave
Knowsit17
beshocked
Welshmushroom
munkian
VinceWLB
offload
bedfordwelsh
George Carlin
dragon999
Seagultaf
Impossible Standards
ScarletSpiderman
GavinDragon
The Saint
Jhamer25
formerly known as Sam
Shifty
dragon4life
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!! Empty lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!!

Post by dragon4life Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/newport-gwent-dragons-snap-up-6470011

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!! Empty Re: lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!!

Post by Shifty Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Awesome I heard they got Sam Lewis too!  angel 
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!! Empty Re: lee byrne and aled brew join dragons!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Glad this is out now. Knew of Byrne weeks ago and it's been killing me keeping it a secret. I gather Cardiff were keen on Byrne and Scarlets, Brew so for us to sign them is great news. Really happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:06 pm

I heard about Bryne on the Dragged up website, but didnt know Aled was coming back.  The Dragons are building nicely for next season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Do Dragons really need a winger and a fullback, isn't a front row the source of most of their fans wishes?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:31 pm

F@cking awesome! Made my new year. Although Byrne will have to fight for his spot with Dan Evans being very capable and in good form pretty much since he arrived.

This could go one of two ways: either we, finally, have a bit of quality depth with the likes of Evans, Byrne, Prydie, Amos, Brew all fighting for a couple of spots or it forces the unlucky ones out of the region (which is often how we end up with them in the past!). Unfortunately, the game is a squad game but everyone wants to be first choice. Not easy when you've only got 4 (soon to be 3?!) domestic pro sides!

But great news. Sod if, I'm opening another wine ahead of my first day back in work for 3 weeks. Iechyd da!

Last edited by Griff on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Do Dragons really need a winger and a fullback, isn't a front row the source of most of their fans wishes?

That's bound to be addressed, but props are harder to sign. Can't turn down quality like this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Do Dragons really need a winger and a fullback, isn't a front row the source of most of their fans wishes?

Yes and no really. Yes, we need front rowers, but we've always struggled to attract them. But adding quality and experience to our pretty young backs is also a good thing.

Something has gone on at the dragons behind the scenes lately I think as we've suddenly got loads of funds to spend on players. We've always been the poor relation, but our recruitment since Lyn Jones has come in has been phenomenal (in relative terms).

Hopefully, these sort of signings, while not 'marquee', will convince a decent prop (as they're the ones hardest to find and afford) that we could be competitive and therefore a decent option. So these signings may lay the foundations for attracting the front rowers we need, if we still have funds left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Just more on the Brew signing. He was a real talisman for us when he was here. A blunt force power house, not in the North or Cuthbert mould. Something different, but I can't quite put my finger on it. He's struggled everywhere apart from with us. And when he was with us he was top or 2nd top try scorer in his seasons with us (I think). Just fitted our game plan and style at the time. This was back when we had a fearsome home record - a few seasons back when we won all home league games but lost all away ones (or maybe!lost 1 at home and won 1 away)! And his partner in scoring crime was the recently returned, and even better IMO, Jason Tovey.

So happy days. Let's hope Lyn can get the best out of them. He certainly seems to be doing so with the squad he inherited. Another positive for the region.

Let's hope we're not disbanded in favour of a 'South Wales Penguins' team based in the Millenium Stadium...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:26 pm

What, where is this money tree in Newport then?
Two great signings but i was sure that Lee Byrne was heading to the Blues and Brew was to us.
All i can say is well done to the dragons, still don't know how they have pulled it off. Where has this money come from.
Well done to them though they really have a clear aim, just a front five now and then they are sorted.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 am

Great news to see Brew come back and further strengthen an area I believe us to be strong in, he could have brought Charteris back with him though! Not so sure about the Byrne signing. He's still a quality player but I get the feeling he's even more arrogant than before, which could affect his performance. I don't think he was needed there either with the form Dan Evans is in and the fact that Amos or Prydie can play 15. It's also possible that we could lose all 5 players to international duty in a single season (with Amos still being U20 eligible). Blues could have done with Byrne if Halfpenny is off to France, as could Scarlets as they need to cover the losses in their backline. Nobody more-so than the Ospreys however. They've got the worst full-back in Wales and the worst U20 fly-half in the last 5 years covering their 15 jersey.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 am

with regards to the funds the only thing I can think of is that we havent spent big for a number of seasons now....so with that plus the County paying rent/sharing ground costs we must have a bigger budget

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

Good signings for the Dragons, but lets hope that there are signings in the tight five now. As the Dragons are pretty well stocked with talent elsewhere.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am

GavinDragon wrote:with regards to the funds the only thing I can think of is that we havent spent big for a number of seasons now....so with that plus the County paying rent/sharing ground costs we must have a bigger budget

Plus we have a new chief exec in Gareth Davies. Maybe he's been able to pull in some finance or sponsorship?

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 pm

YEEEESSS !!!!  Yahoo  BREWY IS BACK.

With regards to byrne he's 33 now so will only probably be signed for 1 season. Hope Dan Evans stays too, he's been fantastic for us.

Actually maybe I'll wait until I see these guys run on to the pitch. I was also looking forward to Sam Lewis coming....  Crying or Very sad 
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Impossible Standards wrote:YEEEESSS !!!!  Yahoo  BREWY IS BACK.

With regards to byrne he's 33 now so will only probably be signed for 1 season. Hope Dan Evans stays too, he's been fantastic for us.

Actually maybe I'll wait until I see these guys run on to the pitch. I was also looking forward to Sam Lewis coming....  Crying or Very sad 

Being a bit bitter here, but maybe he should jump ship as your playing him at fullback and he really wants to play fly half  furious furious furious 

I heard the Scarlets were in advanced negotiations with Brew, but obviously the pull of being back where he belongs was too great. It will be frightening to see an on form Brew/Tovey combination in attack again, especially when you throw in the skills of Evans and Amos in there too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Strange signings as Dragons are strong at wing/fullback already, its front 5 players they really need. It would be a shame to see the likes of Amos, Prydie and the excellent Dan Evans leave because to be assured of regular rugby!

Also as the Dragons are closer to the WRU than the other regions, do they have a promise of funding that has not got to the other regions yet?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Also as the Dragons are closer to the WRU than the other regions, do they have a promise of funding that has not got to the other regions yet?

I highly doubt that. The Bisley stand is used to generate extra revenue when there are no matches on and from what I have heard does very well. Dylan Matthews has a lot of B2B connections also which I think have helped.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Strange signings as Dragons are strong at wing/fullback already, its front 5 players they really need. It would be a shame to see the likes of Amos, Prydie and the excellent Dan Evans leave because to be assured of regular rugby!

Can you clarify what you mean here Seagul? - don't be fooled by the 50% issue

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Very good sigings - you do need props but you need these guys too. I thought that Byrne might have stayed at Clermont as Guildford is not coming for another year. Maybe he felt that his chance would be gone if he didn't come now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/13775.phplso

Sam Lewis apologises

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Both great signings and I think a lot is to do with Lyn Jones, players like him and his management style.

Not wanting to be to down beat but as good as they signings are we still need a top notch tighthead.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Don't understand signing Byrne - no doubt fairly expensive and resources are very scarce, surley it's up front the money should be sent?
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Both great signings and I think a lot is to do with Lyn Jones, players like him and his management style.

Not wanting to be to down beat but as good as they signings are we still need a top notch tighthead.

I think Lyn has always prized his teams on a big powerful pack and been very good for letting youngsters come through (where he nearly showed with Sam lewis). He isn't a man who does thing likely or aims for mid table, when he says he wants to be the best welsh regions i'm pretty sure he can make that happen.
I mean he just resigned Aled Brew (bring back a few supporters) and great experience in Lee Byrne. Im sure that he will be bringing in a few more good signings instead of all the old mediocre players that came in on buses. I'm sure he has his eye on a certain few props, i'm sure he can persuade them to come along. I can expect a few youngster from other regions going to the drags to get game time.
I hope Lyn does lead the Dragons to better heights because if there is one welsh regional coach around who can do it it's definitely Lyn.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:21 pm

offload wrote:Don't understand signing Byrne - no doubt fairly expensive and resources are very scarce, surley it's up front the money should be sent?

Adds strength in depth and experience, he doesn't look like getting back in Welsh squad so available all the time. Agree though that its up front we need players.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Ryan Jones rumours on twitter now too!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Both great signings and I think a lot is to do with Lyn Jones, players like him and his management style.

Even a decent tighthead, someone like Adriaanse at the Scarlets would do a job for you guys. Chapparo, as good as he is on the field, he doesn't really cut the mustard come scrum time.

That said, you also need a loosehead, Gill woul be an amazing choice.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Ryan Jones rumours on twitter now too!  

Thats been rumoured for while but after the Sam Lewis affair want believe anything until he's here. Mitchell was rumoured but he's resigned for Exeter, Rh Jones and Gill would be great signings
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:35 am

Rhodri won't leave the Scarlets out of loyalty. I think it's much the same as Ryan Jones. I'm not sure where this rumour comes from. I think he will finish his career down Swansea.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 am

Why won't Rhodri leave ? He's playing 2nd/3rd fiddle

Samson won't leave as Easterby will burn down his parent's caravan
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 am

Dragons announced that Byrne and Brew have not been signed............they still haven't announced any confirmed signings. Darn it!!

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 am

TBH I think the Blues will need Byrne more than we do. Dan Evans I think is class.

Brew I would love to see back at Rodney. He was always one of my favourite players and a real hero at the region. Besides I miss the chants of "BBBRRRREEEWWW"

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:16 am

Dragons to make a press release tomorrow... top of the agenda is the situation in regards to Brew and Byrne. They have denied any offer thus far but this could just be a reaction to the Sam Lewis fiasco.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 am

VinceWLB wrote:

Even a decent tighthead, someone like Adriaanse at the Scarlets would do a job for you guys. Chapparo, as good as he is on the field, he doesn't really cut the mustard come scrum time.

That said, you also need a loosehead, Gill woul be an amazing choice.

Could see Gill considering going to the Dragons. Currently playing 2nd fiddle to Mako Vunipola and with the emergence of Richard Barrington it's a possibility he could become 3rd choice.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 am

munkian wrote:Why won't Rhodri leave  ? He's playing 2nd/3rd fiddle

Samson won't leave as Easterby will burn down his parent's caravan

You better hope Samson doesn't see that comment  Run 

Anyway he is going nowhere for another 4 years, he signed a five year deal last season.

Rhodri on the other hand may well go, although I am not too sure how long Adriaanse has left on his contract, it could be the end of this or next season. Also Manu is available if you want him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Dragons could do a lot worse than signing Deacon Manu, he doesn't set the world allright but he is so much better than the dross they have.

They can't seem to understand the dark arts of scrummaging though, last 2 tightheads they signed, Ryan and Chapparo are good around the field but are hopeless come scrum time.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:35 pm

Apparently Rhodri is very loyal to the Scarlets. His choice.

Both back three are coming, of that I am certain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Would be one hell of a swoop if it happened. Disappointing that walesonline haven't defied their long-established tradition of assuming things are wrapped up long before they actually are. Both would add a lot to the Dragons' backs division, especially Brew who is already very familiar with the setup.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 pm

Official - Brew and Byrne to Dragons

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/News/Article/32321
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm

posted this on another thread but here is probably better

Yahoo
Well done to the Dragons! Two big name signings, and two welsh lads coming home too. They have been a shining light during the recent turmoil. First retaining Toby Faletau and now getting there two lads. I have a horrible feeling that the Dragons could be top dogs of the regions next season.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Knew this was sorted. Never a doubt. Great news.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Going to be such a buzz seeing him back on that wing, particularly if they play attacking the North Terrace first game. Can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Top marks Drags.
Both available all season too most probs.
Sort your front 5 and who knows.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Nice comments from both players, particularly Brewy for highlighting the positives we have at the minute (these signings and the new training facilities). Great buzz.

Apparently when the Dragons players went on their Christmas drinks, they tried to initiate Byrne then Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:40 pm

happy days!

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Going to be such a buzz seeing him back on that wing, particularly if they play attacking the North Terrace first game. Can't wait.

You in tha Norf aswell Risca ? Going to the Baarf game but remaining sober  Crying or Very sad 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Nah Hazell Terrace. He'll be stood right by us though, if we attack the North. Not going Saturday, I think. Dead rubber and I should probably play for the Cuckoos in the cup instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Very good, let's hope the Dragons are in a competitive competition to compete with something. 3-4 signings in the front five now and then they can do something.
The shining light out of all the regions so far this season, the inly regions blessing Wales with good news

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Dan Evans to leave at the end of the season. Byrne and Amos to be Lyns 15 options. Very surprised as he's been superb all season. Be interesting to see who snaps him up. If I was the O's I'd be on the phone to his agent.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next