The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aled Brew like Marmite

+23
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Impossible Standards
majesticimperialman
manofgwent
Cymroglan
Thespacedragon
bedfordwelsh
Gibson
wales606
XR
ScarletSpiderman
Rugby Nick
Glas a du
Luckless Pedestrian
BATH_BTGOG
rodders
red_stag
greybeard
Adam D
offload
ML
DRAGONONPARADE
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aled Brew like Marmite Empty Aled Brew like Marmite

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Mon 6 Jun - 13:35

Aled Brew performance on the weekend seems to have split the Welsh support on here.Personally I thought he did well but other comments have baffled me like "he should never be let near a Welsh shirt again".
This is the top Welsh try scorer in the Magners league,Mr consistent for the Dragons the last two years, the same guy that made a monkey out of James Hook in the Dragons O's game the other week,who scored a try by going through a prop on Sat and who's counter rucking would have made any forward proud,yet he can't seem to do anything right
I think he should go to the world cup,it's a squad game now and I don't think exposing Shane to a hard hitting side like Fiji is wise, likewise 1/2p as he seems a bit injury prone at the moment. Brew is perfect for that type of game and don't forget he's still a youngster @ 24.
If not picked we'll be delighted to have him back at the Dave running rings around the Magners league second strings, while all the so called superstars are away

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Aled Brew like Marmite Empty Re: Aled Brew like Marmite

Post by Guest Mon 6 Jun - 13:38

I think the only issue I have with Brew is his temperament. It is a bit questionable and he does often get himself into a spot of bother. That could be a huge problem with him playing for Wales, I dunno, I personally just don't quite fully trust him (I have the same issue with Tom James). I fully expect though that with more exposure at the highest level he will mature in this part of his game. He's definitely a talent but he's still very raw I think. Definitely worth a shout taking to the world cup though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Mon 6 Jun - 13:43

You are right, Aled does split the supporters almost as much as Henson! I thik he has some wonderful parts to his game. he has all the physical attributes: big, strong, quick. He has improved a great deal in his game too, where once he would drop fairly straightforward passes because he was looking for the incoming tackle, he now seems more confident in his ball handling skills. He will always score points at all levels of the game.

Unfortunately he will also give points away on a regular basis - he does seem to lose his head and get caught dreadfully out of position on a regular basis still and in today;s game that is a defensive liability. He needs to keep working hard on the tactical side of his game and he has plenty of time still to do that.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 6 Jun - 13:49

He did OK - he didn't shine but then again neither did (again) any of the backs. He certainly didn't deserve to be called Nathan by the announcer though!!

I don't agree with saving Williams, 1/2p or anyone else from the "hard hitting" sides though if that's what you mean. We'd better play our best players (whoever they are at the time) or we won't progress.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 6 Jun - 13:49

I dont think he should have been carded on Saturday - it was high but unintentional and not dangerous.

Thought he had a pretty good game but then again the people I always seem to rate are slated by the rest - I thought Stoddart was MotM for example!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 6 Jun - 13:56

I was trying to pick a MotM with 5 to go - it's a good job the Baa Baas snatched it, made it a lot easier!
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 6 Jun - 13:57

Hobo - I'm with you on Stoddart. He and Faletau were my two standout players. I know people have questioned his defence from the game on Saturday but I'm really sturggling to see exactly what he did wrong. Sometimes I get the feeling that as he has a reputation of having poor defence at FB, people just use it as an excuse! That could just be me though.

Offload - aye I couldn't believe it when the announcer called him Nathan after he scored his try!

One good thing I do like about the match was taht both Brew and North only had one chance each to score - and they both did, something Wales have been guilty of not doing in the past!

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 6 Jun - 14:07

He had a torrid first international cap and I think it took quite a while for him to recover. But he has looked very good this year.

Hats off to the guy for plugging away.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 6 Jun - 14:08

I think he's a great player at club level and would be a decent international winger.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 6 Jun - 14:11

Yeah as non welshman I have to say he's impressed me every time I've seen him in the magners. He's a big lad and an excellent athlete and is always a handful for defenders. I'm surprised he's not involved more for Wales.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon 6 Jun - 14:17

He did ok, his not world class but wales have been spolit with having Shane for so many years. the yellow card was harsh as it wasn't the biggest high hit in the world.

BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 6 Jun - 14:17

It's true that Aled Brew will do some great things in a match and also make a couple of mistakes that sometimes prove costly; but ultimately, I'd prefer a player like that than a 'steady' winger who doesn't do much of anything.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 6 Jun - 14:34

Shane did quite well against Fiji in '07. If he's fit and stays fit in the WC he'll be fine. If Shane and North are nailed on with Halfpenny as the second full back there is room for Stoddart and Brew. If Hook or Henson are the second full back (making room for Tovey or Scott Williams) and Halfpenny is taken as a wing I would not take Brew over Stoddart. Big strong fast and keen, subject to unfortunate brain farts are both, but Stoddart edges it on finesse.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Mon 6 Jun - 14:54

DRAGONONPARADE wrote:
This is the top Welsh try scorer in the Magners league

How many Magners games do the likes of shane play?

,Mr consistent for the Dragons the last two years, the same guy that made a monkey out of James Hook in the Dragons O's game the other week

He turned hook inside out very well. But how come you reference that but not him messing up a perfect try scoring opportunity earlier in the game? Both are relevant. And turning hook inside out is the part of his game he is good at, it is his weaknesses that are the problem.

,who scored a try by going through a prop on Sat and who's counter rucking would have made any forward proud,

I don't think many wingers get selected on their ability to counter ruck, no matter how good they are at it. Not really a core skill set that, or even a particularly relevant one at all.

yet he can't seem to do anything right

He can. But this is the problem with Brew in my mind. It's all well and good saying what he does that is right, but that is teh highlight mentality, it is what he does wrong that is the problem with his game

I think he should go to the world cup,it's a squad game now and I don't think exposing Shane to a hard hitting side like Fiji is wise, likewise 1/2p as he seems a bit injury prone at the moment. Brew is perfect for that type of game and don't forget he's still a youngster @ 24.

It'll be him or Stoddart going. But I wouldnt pick either vs Fiji, they are not exactly a guaranteed win. That sort of thinking will see us come a cropper. I'd save Shane that one (bench) but have north and Halfpenny starting.

If not picked we'll be delighted to have him back at the Dave running rings around the Magners league second strings, while all the so called superstars are away

Hence the top scorer thing...

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 6 Jun - 15:14

I think to be fair the yellow card gave those who don't rate Brew the ammo they needed to shoot him down, and the try he scored gave his supporters reason to shout his praise. I think that the yellow card was not actually a high tackle, as it hit bellow the shoulder and slipped up (where as Phillips shoulder charge to stop the try was a straight yellow!), and i was pretty impressed with his work through out the match.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Mon 6 Jun - 15:21

DRAGONONPARADE wrote:I think he should go to the world cup,it's a squad game now and I don't think exposing Shane to a hard hitting side like Fiji is wise, likewise 1/2p as he seems a bit injury prone at the moment. Brew is perfect for that type of game and don't forget he's still a youngster @ 24.

Didn't this happen in the autumn and he played woefully?

The first choice wingers are Shane & North, after that it's 1/2p & Stoddart. Brew could take stoddart's place but he needs to prove himself in the next 3 games, otherwise he just ain't up to it. Stoddart showed his worth against england and again yesterday...Brew, has not.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Mon 6 Jun - 15:23

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I think to be fair the yellow card gave those who don't rate Brew the ammo they needed to shoot him down, and the try he scored gave his supporters reason to shout his praise. I think that the yellow card was not actually a high tackle, as it hit bellow the shoulder and slipped up (where as Phillips shoulder charge to stop the try was a straight yellow!), and i was pretty impressed with his work through out the match.

I think it was high, but not really a yellow card (far worse get simple penalties against them, it didnt look like he meant it). and he did very well for his try, his body positioning into contact and power was exemplary. But it is his positioning and his hands that are the main problem. This game should have been perfect for him - against a team that doesnt really kick so hands wise, and fielding kicks wise, his positioning shouldnt be shown up much. but he was still caught out of positioning defensively too often.

Brew is a fine regional level player who has some great strengths and some glaring weaknesses. But the weaknesses, like Stoddart's, are simply too much to overlook when it comes to the more punishing international level of rugby.

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 6 Jun - 15:52

For me, he has to much of a habit of doing stupid things,

I watched him for the Dragons a few weeks ago - he scored 2 tries, but for both he did a stupid dive and almost lost the ball - He was lucky the TMO was nice because the first one he definetly knocked on over the line, and the second was marginal.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 6 Jun - 16:01

I like Brew. He is a very honest player, learning his craft at the high-end now. needs a few raw-edges knocked off him, but his willingness to fight for the cause, all through a game - is unquestioned.

I really think Wales badly need players like that in their squad. Albeit this time round - after the RWC. Players like that can help bind a team together, imo.

I agree on Stoddart and Faleatu. Stand-out players.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 6 Jun - 16:12

I posted something on Brew ealier on for me and a lot of others down at Dave he is bit of an icon and a great crowd fave.

His strength and work rate are gis strong points and one way I would describe him is a blinking nuisance.

He is always in your face and I guess one of those players that just get on your nerves as an opponent which IMO is a good thing.

I think he should go but my guess is he would only be a squad playare with Williams North and Halfpenny ahead of him in pecking order.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Mon 6 Jun - 19:25

People have short memories! Shane Williams had similar comments made about him when he first started playing for Wales and he came good. It's far too early to judge Brew as he is only 23 and given the right coaching and experience, he may well go to be a top class international player. He is a really nice guy and I hope he gets given a fair crack - not saying that he will be as good as Shane but I think it's too early to write him off!

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 6 Jun - 19:43

If North could just hold back a yard now and again and Brew manages to keep his aggression under control we would have two very good wingers.
More than once I have thought Brew was fortunate he managed to keep hold of a player one slip and it would have been a spear tackle.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Mon 6 Jun - 20:01

Cymroglan wrote:If North could just hold back a yard now and again and Brew manages to keep his aggression under control we would have two very good wingers.
More than once I have thought Brew was fortunate he managed to keep hold of a player one slip and it would have been a spear tackle.

He needs to learn positional play before that happens. Brew in a blitz is a complete liability at the moment, his defensive discipline is all over the place. The boy is like Tom James, has all the attributes needed for a top player, but until they get their heads right defensively (and in James' case, stop being a Muppet) they won't make it at the top

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 6 Jun - 20:41

It's harsh to compare Aled Brew to Tom James. Brew has a rugby brain on him, he just needs to work on certain areas of his game - not uncommon in 24-year-olds, I'd say.

Tom James, on the other hand, does NOT have a rugby brain on him.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Mon 6 Jun - 20:54

luckless_pedestrian wrote:It's harsh to compare Aled Brew to Tom James. Brew has a rugby brain on him, he just needs to work on certain areas of his game - not uncommon in 24-year-olds, I'd say.

Tom James, on the other hand, does NOT have a rugby brain on him.

Not sure how much of a rugby brain he has. His defensive discipline is all over the place. He is a great athlete but his positioning hasn't improved since he came on the scene.

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 6 Jun - 20:58

I don't think we're going to agree here, are we? Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon 6 Jun - 23:45

Brew's definatey improved.
On the comment that brew was top scorer in the magners, but how many games did Shane play in the magners. Great line. Thats why we need to look at other wingers, because shane's constantly got niggles. He can't do any mote to put himself in the thoughts of the management.
Brew's a confidence player and you can see how much he thrives on the Rodney parade crowd. I think he really needs a coach who believes in him and needs a run of games. That's why he never got his game going at the i's or blues.
I do agree that he does have flaws in his game. His kicking can be erratic and again his positioning. But he does offer a different element to our other wingers.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Tue 7 Jun - 0:05

manofgwent wrote:Brew's definatey improved.
On the comment that brew was top scorer in the magners, but how many games did Shane play in the magners. Great line. Thats why we need to look at other wingers, because shane's constantly got niggles.

Completely missed the point. The point was about internationals meaning top players are away - and they get rested more often. shane may have picked up a few niggles but my point about international players not being likely to be top scorers for those reasons stand.

Int rugby>ML
HEC>ML

Top player play those 2 before ML rugby

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 7 Jun - 5:23

Aled Brew performance on the weekend seems to have split the Welsh support on here.Personally I thought he did well but other comments have baffled me like "he should never be let near a Welsh shirt again".
........................................................................................................................I dont know all that mutch about Brew to be honest but from what i seen on saturday against the BaBaas he played alot better than Warren Gatlands love child did.

But to be honest i dont think that the coaches was even looking at Brew at all, No, i think the only person they was paying attention too was Gavin Henson.

It is a shame realy, because Brew looks likes a good call for Wales.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 7 Jun - 8:02

Madge, you're on to something there. I bet that the coaches were watching Henson for a reason to say 'yes,' and watching Brew for a reason to say 'no.' It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 7 Jun - 9:15

As the title says Brew is indeed like marmite, us Dragons fans love him whilst others don't.

To be honest he is only 23 so has time on his side, all we can ask of our Regional players is that they do their best week in week out and put themselves in the eye of the selectors which Brew has done.

With Shane getting on and retiring after WC, Halfpenny seems to be picking up injury quite often at the mo so Brew has a great chance now (if given it) to establish himself.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 7 Jun - 10:57

Spot on there Bedford. Being a Dragons fan we get to see the effort Brew puts in on a weekly bases and his call up to international duty was justified. I do agree his positional play sometimes is poor but watching the game saturday he wasn't on his own. Jon Davies and Gavin Henson were both out of defensive position on a number of occasions. But isn't this why the WRU pay Shaun Edwards, if he is worth his money he should address these issues and fix them!

I think his aggression is something the Welsh squad need TBH, maybe a little more control of it but it certainly works at the Dragons. He is constantly in the oppositions faces and ok some may say counter rucking is not a necessity as a winger, but most All Blacks wingers do it with effective results.

It was a difficult game for the wingers as Wales had little possession in the first half so both wings had little opportunity. However Brew addressed this and came in off his wing looking for work, more so than North, which was rewarded with his try. Also not sure why steven jones kicked so long from restarts, Brew is good at claiming them or at least putting himself in and around the opposition. If Howley had been watching at the Dragons matches he could have used this as a tactic.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Tue 7 Jun - 11:01

Impossible Standards wrote:Spot on there Bedford. Being a Dragons fan we get to see the effort Brew puts in on a weekly bases and his call up to international duty was justified. I do agree his positional play sometimes is poor but watching the game saturday he wasn't on his own. Jon Davies and Gavin Henson were both out of defensive position on a number of occasions. But isn't this why the WRU pay Shaun Edwards, if he is worth his money he should address these issues and fix them!

The thing is Henson and JD, whilst making mistakes, have not got a history of being so poor positionally. Brew has a lot of good attributes but to be an international level player needed to address a couple of his major weaknesses - one of which was positioning in defence. That he again had this problem is a worry, he doesn't seem to be developing his weaknesses.

Without addressing the issue he will only ever be a bit part player at the top level. We can't afford wingers who wander around. And you have to remember that this is a game that should have been more suited to him, he only had to get half his positioning right as the Baabaas were always going to kick considerably less than a normal international team will.

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 7 Jun - 11:08

Wasn't George North almost caught out by a cross-kick to Dougie Howlett, who he'd completely forgotten about and drifted infield? I've seen him do it a lot for the Scarlets, too. Let's not single out one winger for his defensive weaknesses while ignoring the same weaknesses in another.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Nick Tue 7 Jun - 11:13

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Wasn't George North almost caught out by a cross-kick to Dougie Howlett, who he'd completely forgotten about and drifted infield? I've seen him do it a lot for the Scarlets, too. Let's not single out one winger for his defensive weaknesses while ignoring the same weaknesses in another.

Isn't the cross field kick a major weakness of the blitz defence? Not sure North can get the blame there

Rugby Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 7 Jun - 11:46

It is a weakness of the blitz your right, he was however too far in field and was saved by a bounce. I do agree Brew needs to work on his defensive positioning but this is why I believe Shaun Edwards should work with him to address it.

I think both North and Brew could be very good wingers for Wales but they both need a bit of work.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 7 Jun - 13:57

Nick your point is nonsense.
You can't knock his achievement of being top scorer in the ML. It's the only competition he's playing in really. There's plenty of quality players who would have played the same amount of games. So again you can't knock his achievement.
It's a really bad comparison to make. It just doesn't make any sense!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 7 Jun - 14:00

manofgwent wrote:Nick your point is nonsense.
You can't knock his achievement of being top scorer in the ML. It's the only competition he's playing in really. There's plenty of quality players who would have played the same amount of games. So again you can't knock his achievement.
It's a really bad comparison to make. It just doesn't make any sense!

Not sure about Nick's point, but you might want to get your facts straight? Tim Visser has been the ML's top try scorer for the last two seasons and Thom Evans was the year before that OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 7 Jun - 14:06

Ummmmmmmmm. Brew was magners top scorer!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 7 Jun - 14:11

manofgwent wrote:Ummmmmmmmm. Brew was magners top scorer!
2011: Visser 14, Brew 12 - per http://www.magnersleague.com/statzone/index.php
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 7 Jun - 14:13

manofgwent, Aled Brew was the top Welsh try scorer.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 7 Jun - 14:16

manofgwent wrote:Ummmmmmmmm. Brew was magners top scorer!

Doh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 7 Jun - 14:18

I don't include the scottish regions stats as they aren't competitive and offer nothing to the league!
Was brew top British scorer in the magners?
I'm trying to wriggle out of this one!!
Haha!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 7 Jun - 14:25

manofgwent wrote:I don't include the scottish regions stats as they aren't competitive and offer nothing to the league!
Haha!

Good one, I like your style, never back down randy

But now you've really done it, the Irish are going to be mad and furious

laughing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 7 Jun - 14:39

manofgwent wrote:I don't include the scottish regions stats as they aren't competitive and offer nothing to the league!
Haha!
🤦

Anyone got a shovel for this chump so he can keep digging? Doh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 7 Jun - 14:41

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Haha!
🤦

Anyone got a shovel for this chump so he can keep digging? Doh

I'm pretty sure he was joking on that one Radge, play nice Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 7 Jun - 14:55

Aled Brew is the form winger in Wales, last season I did not rank a single other 11 or 14 playing for the regions (including NWQ wingers) above him. In times when we are hit by sheer inconsistency and players failing to live up to their roles, the pressure Brew puts on the opposition, his lack of fear for big first-up tackles and the opportunities he creates for himself and others is a sight for sore eyes. Saturday was easily the best game he's had for Wales, which could indicate that his regional form is finally beginning to rub off at least a little on a Welsh jersey.

I was impressed by North despite having said all season that it was too early for him. Harries often impresses and I hope to see him add to his caps if he continues. Halfpenny's tackling has gone down the drain and I don't understand why so many have him in their starting XV on this form. Shane can of course still enjoy the odd magic but just as often can be a liability. Stoddart should be used intelligently, meaning wherever he's playing best at present (although he was turned easily by Nacewa for that heart-breaker).

The trouble still lies in lateral attacking patterns and not often enough a creative midfield threat. Brew is physical and reckless enough to create opportunities for himself and others (as I've said) and isn't afraid to tackle with interest, it's a shame others don't follow the example.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 7 Jun - 15:04

Aled brew top try scorer in the magners*.

* doesn't include clog wearers.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 7 Jun - 15:13

manofgwent wrote:Aled brew top try scorer in the magners*.

* doesn't include clog wearers.

But it's nice that you've been smoking some of their stuff!!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 7 Jun - 15:15

I like Brew and think he gets a raw deal on here. I'd av him ahead of Will H but against the Fijians and Samoans he shouldn't always look for contact as a first option

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next