The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

+44
Brendan
VinceWLB
George Carlin
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
highland_scot
malky1963
Ozzy3213
Manky-Flanker
CraigS1874
Tramptastic
Captain_Sensible
justified sinner
LondonTiger
Argybargy
nickj
Couttsy87
alive555
EST
demosthenes
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
Majestic83
Nematode
RDW
tigertattie
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
GLove39
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
cakeordeath
MacKnocked-on
Dollar Bill
EWT Spoons
Cambo
Notch
21st Century Schizoid Man
Totalflanker
IanBru
48 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by George Carlin Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

A. Edinburgh

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Bremne10

1. Pre-season

Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 15 - 5 Newcastle Falcons

Fri 23 Aug 2013, 19:30
Northampton Saints 24 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

2. 2013/2014 Season - Played

Sat 7 Sep, 19:15
Munster Rugby 34 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 13 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 21 Sep, 18:30
Ospreys 44 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 9 - 22 Scarlets

Sun 6 Oct, 14:05
Cardiff Blues 29 - 12 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 25 Oct, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 13 Benetton Treviso

Fri 1 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 23 Zebre

Fri 22 Nov 19:05
Ulster Rugby 41 - 17 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 29 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 43 - 10 Connacht

Fri 20 Dec 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 11 - 6 Leinster

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 13:05
Newport Gwent Dragons  v  Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 17:00
Connacht Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 22 Feb 14:30
Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby

B. Glasgow

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Capald10

1. Pre-season

Sat 31 Aug 2013, 15:00
Exeter Chiefs 26 - 29 Glasgow Warriors

2. 2013/2014 Season

Fri 6 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 15 Cardiff Blues

Fri 13 Sep, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:30
Zebre 17 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 5 Oct, 18:30
Scarlets 12 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 Oct, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Sat 2 Nov, 17:00
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 22 Nov, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 23 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 29 Nov, 19:05
Ospreys 16 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Dec, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors P - P Benetton Treviso

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 14:00
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 18:30
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow Warriors

Sun 23 Feb 14:30
Newport Gwent Dragons   v   Glasgow Warriors

Any and all patter about these teams is welcome.

Any jingoism, sledging or graceless kicking of anyone whilst they are up or down will see posts deleted.

Be gracious and be constructive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:25 am

I think Ford should move to the Aviva, it could really boost his game and provide his career with an Indian summer. No-one can dispute his capabilities when on form, and I've seen some top top class performances from him, but the intensity and passion seems to have left his game, and his basic skills under pressure are not what they should be.

A club like Saints or Leicester would do wonders for him. The issue will be his availability. Might be an expensive signing to have missing for the international window.

Lutui (for one more season), Hilterbrand and McInally look like forming our hooking options next season. It would be great if McInally can develop in that role, as his allround game outset the set piece would be a massive asset.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by VinceWLB Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 am

Geoff Cross is quality, anyone remember his 80 minutes huge effort against Toulouse?

Potentially better than the technically poor Nel.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:57 am

Nel is a flat track bully. When his opposite number isn't techinically strong he can destroy them, but the moment he's faced with a tricky opponent, he struggles.

Nel's big strength is his ball carrying in the loose. He's very quick and extremely mobile for a big lad. In truth so is Geoff Cross. It's why I'm keen to keep both, as the work rate in the Edinburgh pack has sky rocketed since Solomons has taken over, and we need the front row to buy into that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:06 pm

Yep i think Nel would be given a very rough time against someone like Domingo or Poux.
Very frustrating in that regard but one of the best tighthead in the loose around.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:51 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Off topic, but did anyone see Weir's unfortunate miss-spelling in one of his tweets yesterday? Doh 

"Delighted to have resigned for @GlasgowWarriors. Thanks for the messages! #WarriorNation"

Had to quickly say that he had re-signed, and had not in fact quit the club!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think Ford should move to the Aviva, it could really boost his game and provide his career with an Indian summer. No-one can dispute his capabilities when on form, and I've seen some top top class performances from him, but the intensity and passion seems to have left his game, and his basic skills under pressure are not what they should be.

A club like Saints or Leicester would do wonders for him. The issue will be his availability. Might be an expensive signing to have missing for the international window.

Lutui (for one more season), Hilterbrand and McInally look like forming our hooking options next season. It would be great if McInally can develop in that role, as his allround game outset the set piece would be a massive asset.

Only issue is whether the likes of Saints or Leicester would take him. As you say on form, great, but over the last couple of years he hasn't really put himself in the shop window for a top aviva club.

One thing I don't understand, he rarely seems to get angry. With his size, strength and power he would be formidable. Not that you would ever want to see him take on a Dylan Hartley type persona, well not to that degree but jeas with a little more aggression rather than his mainly mild manner, figure the opposition would be running for the exits.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Not like those Hootsmon numpties to make a mistake huh  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm a bit uncertain about what to think about Jackson. On the one hand I think it'd be good if he went so that Russell gets more game time. The downside though is that we'll, for the next year and RWC at least, be short on tens. We'll have Weir, but then who else?

Weir; Heathcote - lacking game time and intl experience; Tonks - only played a handful of games at 10; Horne played quite a few occasions at 10 but again not many and also isn't too reliable with the boot; Hogg - don't want to move him from FB. We'd need Laidlaw for kicking or Hogg to take up the kicking at Glasgow for practice.

I think the best option is Weir and Russell at Glasgow and Heathcote (1st) and Tonks at Edinburgh. But that needs to happen immediately.

I think if Cross was to move on he could join maybe the likes of L Irish, Gloucester, Wasps. I think Rennie could join some of the very best Aviva teams tbh. Ford is making progress at Edinburgh though and I'd be concerned he could go to England, not get game time and fall into the abyss. But he needs to radically improve. Bit of a gamble. I can't see too many bidders for NDL unfortunately. Good club player, seems motivated and I think deserves a final year at Edinburgh. But he is susceptible to losing it (Ospreys red card) and seems to get too moody with the other players which isn't great for morale. Premiership side? As for Jackson, I could see a bid from Newcastle and maybe Bristol? When on form he really can bring the back line in well.

Does seem like there's something going on atm. Could these be the ripples from Cotter's approaching boat?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Nematode wrote:I'm a bit uncertain about what to think about Jackson. On the one hand I think it'd be good if he went so that Russell gets more game time. The downside though is that we'll, for the next year and RWC at least, be short on tens. We'll have Weir, but then who else?

Weir; Heathcote - lacking game time and intl experience; Tonks - only played a handful of games at 10; Horne played quite a few occasions at 10 but again not many and also isn't too reliable with the boot; Hogg - don't want to move him from FB. We'd need Laidlaw for kicking or Hogg to take up the kicking at Glasgow for practice.

I think the best option is Weir and Russell at Glasgow and Heathcote (1st) and Tonks at Edinburgh. But that needs to happen immediately.

I think if Cross was to move on he could join maybe the likes of L Irish, Gloucester, Wasps. I think Rennie could join some of the very best Aviva teams tbh. Ford is making progress at Edinburgh though and I'd be concerned he could go to England, not get game time and fall into the abyss. But he needs to radically improve. Bit of a gamble. I can't see too many bidders for NDL unfortunately. Good club player, seems motivated and I think deserves a final year at Edinburgh. But he is susceptible to losing it (Ospreys red card) and seems to get too moody with the other players which isn't great for morale. Premiership side? As for Jackson, I could see a bid from Newcastle and maybe Bristol? When on form he really can bring the back line in well.

Does seem like there's something going on atm. Could these be the ripples from Cotter's approaching boat?  

Think NDL would be a good shout for Newcastle or possible even Sale Sharks. Could see Newcastle being interested in a few of those players if it turns out they are leaving. Think the one who might struggle the most to find a club will be Jackson.
Most of the Aviva clubs have good 10s already and most would probably require their 10 to have a high kicking percentage at goal.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Ruraidh Jackson is a good rugby player with a fast break and excellent side step. He is also a strong tackler. His kicking lets him down esp from the tee. As someone else stated I thinks with that pack so dominant he would have run riot v France. He always plays better when he does not have to take pens !

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:45 pm

If Jackson was that good why hasn't he cemented his spot in the Scotland XV?

Geoff Cross rumoured to be off to London Irish.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 am

Ruaridh Jackson can be an affective player, his break against Leinster in the last game was a great example his pace and eye for a gap.

Unfortunately, he just doesn't display any sort of consistency - and his kicking, both from hand and tee, is sometimes woeful.

What I really don't feel when he is playing is any sense of authority.  He should be the calm, controlling figure bossing his team around the pitch,  he just isn't that.  He has had more than enough chances to cement his position for Glasgow and Scotland, time to move on for both parties.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 am

EST wrote:Ruaridh Jackson can be an affective player, his break against Leinster in the last game was a great example his pace and eye for a gap.

Unfortunately, he just doesn't display any sort of consistency - and his kicking, both from hand and tee, is sometimes woeful.

What I really don't feel when he is playing is any sense of authority.  He should be the calm, controlling figure bossing his team around the pitch,  he just isn't that.  He has had more than enough chances to cement his position for Glasgow and Scotland, time to move on for both parties.

I completely agree. If his pack is dominant and he gets lots of ball, he looks great. However, is his pack is retreating, he does seem rather powerless to do much about it. You don't need to be Jonny Sexton to be able to exert that sort of control - Jimmy Gopperth showed at Falcons that you can still manage a game living on scraps.

I think that a lower order Premiership club would take him on, but I've watched him for years now and I cannot come to any conclusion other than the one that he is just not consistent enough to be considered a great player. At a time when Sexton and Farrell were just starting and had shedloads of talent, I just think that we all wanted Jackson to be better than he, in fact, is. He gained a great deal of purchase with Scotland fans simply because he wasn't Daniel Arthur Parks. Sad but true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 am

I'm not going to argue with that assessment of Jackson, however the only snag with the "time to move on" theory, is that we have no-one better as of yet. Weir is just as inconsistent and error-prone, the key difference being that he doesn't add the odd flash of inspiration to the party either.

From what we've seen so far at Glasgow and Scotland, I personally think there's no evidence to suggest Weir is a better bet. I hoped he would be, and called for him to be given a chance in this 6 Nations, but it's a chance he hasn't taken in any way, shape or form.

I was very tough on Jackson when he first came through. The same "time to move on" crowd were insisting Parks be dropped for Jackson, when Jackson had done nothing in a Glasgow jersey to merit selection. We now find ourselves in a similar situation: better the devil you don't know than the one you do, or at least that seems to be the new mantra.

I've made my views clear. Stick with Weir against Wales and then use Jackson and Weir in the summer. The key shift though has to be at Glasgow and Edinburgh. I want Horne and Tonks to both be playing regular rugby next season at 10, with Weir and Russell providing cover at Glasgow and Bezzy and Leonard at Edinburgh. If we want to get our best footballers on the pitch, and have a running threat from each and every back, then that's what I would attempt. I've only seem glimses of what Horne and Tonks can do from 10, but given how poor Weir has been for Scotland thus far, I think we have to try it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

It will certainly be interesting to see which position Horne returns to. Will he make a more permanent shift to 10, remain at 12 or continue to jump between the two?

Regardless, I just hope he has fully recovered, Arno Botha sustained the same injury in the same game as Horne. He came back a few weeks ago and injured the knee again! Thats another 6 months out, on top of the initial 8 or 9 months.  Shocked 

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 am

Well I think the logic for both Horne and Tonks must be that the two best backs in the Scotland side are Matt Scott at 12 and Stuart Hogg at 15. I'd suggest that those are two backs we can build our backline around, and so for Horne and Tonks they have a decision to make. Stay at 12 and 15 respectively and challenge, or more to 10, where even the vaguest notion of competence will propel them into the spotlight.

Both are excellent athletes with the raw materials to make a good international 10. Both can kick the ball at least as far as Duncan Weir, both have better pace than Jackson and both can defend their channel better than Weir and Jackson combined. The devil will be in getting them enough experience, working on their decision making and seeing how their distribution skills operate under pressure (both Weir and Jackson fall down on this criterion as well). Whilst it may not be an obvious move for Edinburgh and Glasgow, for Scotland I think it would work out really well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:47 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well I think the logic for both Horne and Tonks must be that the two best backs in the Scotland side are Matt Scott at 12 and Stuart Hogg at 15. I'd suggest that those are two backs we can build our backline around, and so for Horne and Tonks they have a decision to make. Stay at 12 and 15 respectively and challenge, or more to 10, where even the vaguest notion of competence will propel them into the spotlight.

Both are excellent athletes with the raw materials to make a good international 10. Both can kick the ball at least as far as Duncan Weir, both have better pace than Jackson and both can defend their channel better than Weir and Jackson combined. The devil will be in getting them enough experience, working on their decision making and seeing how their distribution skills operate under pressure (both Weir and Jackson fall down on this criterion as well). Whilst it may not be an obvious move for Edinburgh and Glasgow, for Scotland I think it would work out really well.

Getting enough experience is the key, it seems like scottish half backs and centres are being switched around all over the shop recently. Tonks to 10, Horne from 12 to 10, Bennett from 13 to 12, Vernon from 8 to 13, Scott from 12 to 13 (last season), Dunbar from 12 to 13, Russell from 10 to 12, McGuigan from 13 to wing, Slamont in at 12 etc - probably made half of those up, but you get the drift. These guys need to specialise in one position and make it their own.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 pm

I agree that inconsistent selection has been a big problem and I hope that Cotter will choose a horse and back it over a number of games.

Both Horne and Tonks could well be better than either Jackson or Weir, although I suspect that we will need to hand goalkicking duties to Hogg or Laidlaw as Peter would suddenly be afflicated by suddenlycan'tkickfornuts-itis in games and I've never seen Tonks kick for goal.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm

In much the same way as I don't like the "we must play Jim Hamilton because our lineout is less bad with him running it" school of thought, I wouldn't want us to ignore a potentially better backline to accommodate a kicker (and anyway, neither Jackson nor Weir are particularly good goal kickers).

Anyway, I suspect Laidlaw will hold the kicking duties for the near future anyway, rightly or wrongly, so I don't think it hugely impacts the selection at 10.

Still, if Scott or Hogg can work on goal kicking and get up to speed, then it just makes things much easier.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Lee Millar signs a contract extension to stay at London Scottish

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Mixed emotions about that. I've heard good things and as such I had hoped Edinburgh may be interested, but at least LS are hanging onto a key player, and hopefully at LS he's still in the picture with the SRU.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:43 pm

brain freeze, he's the Gala 10 from last year yes/no?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:06 pm

Yep

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Mixed emotions about that. I've heard good things and as such I had hoped Edinburgh may be interested, but at least LS are hanging onto a key player, and hopefully at LS he's still in the picture with the SRU.

Good news for LS but Edinburgh really should have been making a move for him. Easily got the quality to be Edinburgh's first choice ten and push on for Scotland honours.
Been in great form for LS mixing it up with a strong running game and a very strong kicking game.
Missed opportunity by Edinburgh but good news for Millar as another good season at LS and I would imagine some Aviva teams might come in for him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm perfectly happy for him to be at LS learning his trade. It frees up the Edinburgh Spot for Heathcote or Tonks to make a run at the 10 jersey. (If edinburgh were to sign Heathcote)

Still leaning towards the thinking that Finn Russell will be the established 10 for Scotland in 2 or 3 years time
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Agreed on Millar playing elsewhere - he would just be another young stand-off at Edinburgh unlikely to get consistent gametime.  We need someone who is ready to make the next step and become a top class 10.  Heathcoat falls into that category having had a few years as a pro, and needs to be pushing on with regular gametime.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:11 pm

tigertattie wrote:Still leaning towards the thinking that Finn Russell will be the established 10 for Scotland in 2 or 3 years time

Don't you start!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm not going to argue with that assessment of Jackson, however the only snag with the "time to move on" theory, is that we have no-one better as of yet. Weir is just as inconsistent and error-prone, the key difference being that he doesn't add the odd flash of inspiration to the party either.

From what we've seen so far at Glasgow and Scotland, I personally think there's no evidence to suggest Weir is a better bet. I hoped he would be, and called for him to be given a chance in this 6 Nations, but it's a chance he hasn't taken in any way, shape or form.

I was very tough on Jackson when he first came through. The same "time to move on" crowd were insisting Parks be dropped for Jackson, when Jackson had done nothing in a Glasgow jersey to merit selection. We now find ourselves in a similar situation: better the devil you don't know than the one you do, or at least that seems to be the new mantra.

I've made my views clear. Stick with Weir against Wales and then use Jackson and Weir in the summer. The key shift though has to be at Glasgow and Edinburgh. I want Horne and Tonks to both be playing regular rugby next season at 10, with Weir and Russell providing cover at Glasgow and Bezzy and Leonard at Edinburgh. If we want to get our best footballers on the pitch, and have a running threat from each and every back, then that's what I would attempt. I've only seem glimses of what Horne and Tonks can do from 10, but given how poor Weir has been for Scotland thus far, I think we have to try it.

I think the root of the problem at Glasgow is that Weir and Jackson have never had a settled run at the 10 jersey; injury, lack of form, Toonies magic selection tombola and the desire to give them both a fair chance have curtailed any consistency of selection. Instead of driving each other towards excellence, it appears that they are trapped in a kind of never ending positional see-saw. Jackson gets 3 games, plays badly, dropped, Weir gets four games, is average, Jackson picked again..and on it goes.

My reasoning for letting Jackson go is twofold:

I feel that Weir has the potential to be better than Jackson, both in terms of his age advantage and what he has delivered in the past (although not this 6 nations, it has to be said). He will only get there by getting consistent game time. Give him the shirt for the season and we will see improvement. There isn't exactly a shortage of replacements out West if injury strikes, either.

Secondly, Jackson has been brought up through the Scottish system for the best part of a decade. He has been chosen from an early age, nurtured, fawned over and given every opportunity imaginable to succeed. Perhaps what he needs is an environment that is a bit more hard edged, and not the goldfish bowl that is the Scottish two pro team environment? He undoubtedly has skills, lets see if he can develop somewhere else.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:52 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Still leaning towards the thinking that Finn Russell will be the established 10 for Scotland in 2 or 3 years time

Don't you start!
Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:36 am

I see that the ruck inspector is making a return from injury playing for Ayr this weekend.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Don't you start!
Yahoo

I said in 2 or 3 years time. Like, once he's been playing pro rugby for a while.  laughing 

Ever wondered what FES has nightmares about? - Its a Scotland line up of Russell ar 10, a "journeyman" forigner coming in to play 12. Baby Bennett at 13, Byron McGuigan on one wing, Jack Cuthbert on the other with Kelly Brown played out of position at 15
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 am

tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Don't you start!
Yahoo

I said in 2 or 3 years time.  Like, once he's been playing pro rugby for a while.   laughing 

Ever wondered what FES has nightmares about? - Its a Scotland line up of Russell ar 10, a "journeyman" forigner coming in to play 12. Baby Bennett at 13, Byron McGuigan on one wing, Jack Cuthbert on the other with Kelly Brown played out of position at 15
What do you mean out of position? Keep up man, Kellybrows is the new Richie Vee: a born counterattacking fullback if ever Rab C saw one.
"Put a saddle on the kid and let's see how he gallops round the paddock. "

Last edited by jimbopip on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 pm

tigertattie wrote:Ever wondered what FES has nightmares about?

Weir throwing the ball to Huget has had a monopoly on my nightmares this last week!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Any Edinburgh fans able to give me a brief outline of Geoff Cross strengths and weaknesses please?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Any Edinburgh fans able to give me a brief outline of Geoff Cross strengths and weaknesses please?

Don't know if we have seen enough of him play this year to answer....

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Injured or out of favour?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Injured or out of favour?

Out of favour with the Edinburgh coaches. Don't know why. Good scrummager, as he displayed last week. Not too bad around the park.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm a big fan of Geoff Cross - he's definitely an international class tighthead. He showed against France and Italy that he is a good scrummager, and he gets about in the loose.

It's not really his fault he's not played much this year - Solomons has favoured WP Nel and he tends to leave him on for 80 mins, so Cross hasn't featured much.

Weaknesses wise he is a bit of a donkey and doesn't have great hands, but not glaringly more so than most props out there.

I can't believe Edinburgh are happy to let him go, and I think he'll be an asset for any team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:12 pm

While I feel for Cross, I'm all for widening the talent pool. If he goes to Irish and plays regularly that's only a good thing for him, Scottish rugby and London Irish. It also gives Berghan, Allan etc the chance to develop behind Nel. Unfortunately that's the model we have been dealt by having two pro teams.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I see that the ruck inspector is making a return from injury playing for Ayr this weekend.

Bring out the bunting.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:27 pm

He'd be a good signing for an Aviva team. Good technical scrummager with a huge workrate in the loose. He isn't destructive, but he is effective. Has a decent burst of pace on him as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:45 pm

My lasting memory will always be Geoff Cross being yellow carded as he was strechered off the field after tackling Lee Byrne in the air with his face!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:46 pm

tigertattie wrote:My lasting memory will always be Geoff Cross being yellow carded as he was strechered off the field after tackling Lee Byrne in the air with his face!

......on his first cap!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Yeh, I do think he was unlucky. Not disputing the yellow, but if I recall it was his debut and it was more enthusiasm getting the better of him than a malicious tackle on Byrne.

The highlight of his career thus far for me was stabilising the scrum against France a couple of seasons back after Domingo had crushed Euan Murray out of the game. It was at that point I realised that Cross had a clue about scrummaging.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:37 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Yeh, I do think he was unlucky. Not disputing the yellow, but if I recall it was his debut and it was more enthusiasm getting the better of him than a malicious tackle on Byrne.

The highlight of his career thus far for me was stabilising the scrum against France a couple of seasons back after Domingo had crushed Euan Murray out of the game. It was at that point I realised that Cross had a clue about scrummaging.

I remember well when he pushed Murray really hard for the starting berth... Cross is an excellent scrummager and will surprise a few against the best looseheads around. A very deceptive ball carrier, how many times i have seen him breaking tackles receiving the ball standing still, and against forwards too..

Highlight for me is easily that 80 minutes performance against Toulouse in 2012, you don't want to see Jack Gilding comes in indeed...

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Edinburgh have signed under 20s centre Chris Dean

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/445927488397389824/photo/1

Anyone know much about him?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by malky1963 Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:39 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh have signed under 20s centre Chris Dean

I know that he has been a great player at schoolboy level - my son is at Edinburgh Academy and Chris Dean's name has featured heavily in the match reports that one gets in the weekly 'News Sheet' email.
Of course there's a long way to go from schoolboy star to the pro ranks......

malky1963

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:52 pm

malky1963 wrote:

I know that he has been a great player at schoolboy level - my son is at Edinburgh Academy and Chris Dean's name has featured heavily in the match reports that one gets in the weekly 'News Sheet' email.

Clearly you're not familiar with the work of ASBO and GC. This lad will shortly be making their World Cup squads. The proximity of Edinburgh Academy to Stockbridge, the heart of Scottish rugby, will only enhance his credentials. Mark my words.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Look out folks, FES is gonna blow!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
malky1963 wrote:

Clearly you're not familiar with the work of ASBO and GC. This lad will shortly be making their World Cup squads. The proximity of Edinburgh Academy to Stockbridge, the heart of Scottish rugby, will only enhance his credentials. Mark my words.
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 11 Facepa14
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next