The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The State of The Forum - better or worse?

+20
It Must Be Love
JubbaIsle
CaledonianCraig
The Special Juan
Silver
Jahu
kingraf
Haddie-nuff
hawkeye
laverfan
kemet
Danny_1982
HM Murdock
banbrotam
socal1976
bogbrush
Henman Bill
lydian
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
24 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? Empty The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 9:54 pm

It wasn't long ago that were rumblings and mutterings among the chattering classes (that's you) that the forum was a bit bland and sterile, that debate was being stifled and apathy and discontent was setting in. There was even mutinous talk that this was in some part due to the behaviour of your wise and glorious rulers (that's laverfan and myself).

Now everything seems to be back to the halcyon days of yore with bickering, banter, back-stabbing and behind-biting.

So it would actually be useful, I think, for laverfan and myself to know which is preferable to your good selves. The current lively, spicy, on-the-edge feel to the place. Or the somewhat meditative, relaxed, coffee-house ambience of early winter? The more we know about your preferences the more likely LF and I are not to get it hideously wrong and ruin it for everyone.

PM us if you'd prefer - you can name names that way Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? Empty Re: The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by summerblues Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm

I personally prefer it a bit on the rowdy side.  It is too sterile otherwise.  One can always choose to read what one enjoys - if one wants more serious discussions, there are posters with whom one can talk reasonably, if one wants a bit of - even wummy - entertainment, one can get that too.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

The State of The Forum - better or worse? Empty Re: The State of The Forum - better or worse?

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm

I'm preferring it to be honest.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:23 pm

At the moment it's good. I would say at the moment you only need to focus on WUMs and maybe newbies writing articles in slams, but I don't see much need to discipline the regulars.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:23 pm

Was it really different? When I popped in the other day there was all the usual nonsense going on, just with cheerleaders rather than dissent.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:23 pm

Respectful... thats all it needs,soo trolling and winding up have to go, but people can still have lively debates

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm

Personally, I'd like to see posters addressing other posters more according to how they wish to be addressed, rather than a one-size-fits-all, take it or leave it approach.
If someone you're debating with finds your style difficult to accept, consider changing your style, just as a matter of courtesy.
Then you can still get spicy with those who like the spice.
I don't think it's beyond anyone to take that approach - much as you probably would if you were talking to people in person. It may take more effort, but I would ask for that effort from you all.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm

bogbrush wrote:Was it really different? When I popped in the other day there was all the usual nonsense going on, just with cheerleaders rather than dissent.

It was more towards the end of December which I was comparing to.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm

Yeah but this is the t'internet JHM...loads leave their decorum at the 'front door'.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm

BB was on sabbatical in December Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm

It is great since BB, has comeback, I wish he would have never left. He brought in the piiss and vinegar which is what this forum was missing. As long as personal insults, racial abuse, libel, threats etc. are limited I don't see why we can't have an occasional shoot out at the OK corral after all its just tennis posts.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm

lydian wrote:Yeah but this is the t'internet JHM...loads leave their decorum at the 'front door'.

Is that a good thing? People leave their decorum at the door on Twitter as well - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24160004

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:37 pm

socal1976 wrote:It is great since BB, has comeback, I wish he would have never left. He brought in the piiss and vinegar which is what this forum was missing. As long as personal insults, racial abuse, libel, threats etc. are limited I don't see why we can't have an occasional shoot out at the OK corral after all its just tennis posts.

I agree, although I do know for a fact that it stops some people, who don't see it as we do, from posting on the forum. I'd rather figure out a way to keep everyone, not just lose people simply because I don't Mod the forum in a way that suits them.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:37 pm

A sharp debate keeps everyone on their toes, but it goes too far everytime, boiling down to either twisted stats or personal insults. Well ok it normally does, this is the internet after all. Just needs to stay on the level

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:39 pm

I found the forum tediously boring before this latest slam

But the ridiculous baiting of a poster who dares to question Roger's status, is easily off putting

As is the shrill delight at the demise of Novak

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:40 pm

Best way to mod it Julius...
Imagine were all in a pub sat down with a drink and having some debate, then imagine what was said in that context.
If its just lively, then its good.
If you see it and think "that pr***s ruining it for everyone else by being a childish dolt, then do something.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:43 pm

I prefer the spicier flavour of the forum.

Relaxed discussion has its place too but there's only so many times you can have a relaxed discussion about the same old plot lines that tennis is currently reproducing ad nauseum.

A bit of wummery and a bit of a scrap can provide a welcome distraction!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm

I think you've just volunteered falzy!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:45 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:I prefer the spicier flavour of the forum.

Relaxed discussion has its place too but there's only so many times you can have a relaxed discussion about the same old plot lines that tennis is currently reproducing ad nauseum.

A bit of wummery and a bit of a scrap can provide a welcome distraction!

Even the wummery and scraps are the same old plot lines Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm

Julius if I wasnt a third year Mathematics Phd student, id help out, but truth is I really can onyl be a part timer on the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Even the wummery and scraps are the same old plot lines Smile
Yeah, but it's like watching The A-Team. I don't mind having the same plot over and over if it's fun!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:52 pm

I remember the place before JM & LF took over; it was rubbish. They get it virtually spot on.

By the way, I'm sorry if I change the tone because it's like a visitor dropping by, changing the furniture round then going home; I'm unlikely to last beyond the end of the AO. It's not the forum, it's just how it is.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

banbrotam wrote:I found the forum tediously boring before this latest slam

But the ridiculous baiting of a poster who dares to question Roger's status, is easily off putting

Yes apparently what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Thanks for the support banbro. Tennis is bigger than one man and I feel a bit hot when the sport is reduced to glorifying one individual at the expense of all others.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Even the wummery and scraps are the same old plot lines Smile
Yeah, but it's like watching The A-Team. I don't mind having the same plot over and over if it's fun!

Yes, I mean it is fun yelling into the screen don't drink the coffee BA! Very funny Murdoch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm

socal1976 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:I found the forum tediously boring before this latest slam

Yes apparently what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Thanks for the support banbro. Tennis is bigger than one man and I feel a bit hot when the sport is reduced to glorifying one individual at the expense of all others.
I've never read anyone attack themselves like that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

bogbrush wrote:I remember the place before JM & LF took over; it was rubbish. They get it virtually spot on.

By the way, I'm sorry if I change the tone because it's like a visitor dropping by, changing the furniture round then going home; I'm unlikely to last beyond the end of the AO. It's not the forum, it's just how it is.

Well I hope you stay, if you don't enjoy your other activities. When you aren't around I feel like Federer in 04-07 like I am running rampant with no conceivable resistance.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:10 pm

You certainly have Fed's narcissistic streak!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:You certainly have Fed's narcissistic streak!

That is true all I need is my own cream colored jump suit and Rolex commercials or another couple hundred million in the bank.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:I'm unlikely to last beyond the end of the AO. It's not the forum, it's just how it is.
There is life beyond Federer. Tennis created Federer, not vice versa. The song remains the same.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:14 pm

socal1976 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:You certainly have Fed's narcissistic streak!

That is true all I need is my own cream colored jump suit and Rolex commercials or another couple hundred million in the bank.

You don't get paid big bucks for your "comedy"?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:16 pm

To be honest I think the debates reflect the sport; the same all year round, stuck with nothing new coming through and take way too long to say the same thing.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:18 pm

lydian wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I'm unlikely to last beyond the end of the AO. It's not the forum, it's just how it is.
There is life beyond Federer. Tennis created Federer, not vice versa. The song remains the same.
Of course, but see my post above for what I think of the sport right now. I find it truly dull without Federer's game. I can assure you that's not by choice.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:25 pm

Dimitrov is the nearest you'll ever get to Fed. The game always changes...as it will again, nothing stays the same for too long. When you scratch below the surface there is more to tennis than 4 big names at the top. Guess it depends on why you follow the sport to begin with.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

lydian wrote:Dimitrov is the nearest you'll ever get to Fed.
Don't depress the poor guy, Lydian! That's like saying the closest you'll ever get to Elvis is Cliff Richard!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm

TBH I much, much, much (did I say 'much'?) prefer playing to watching.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:32 pm

Lol HMM...well he made a better showing vs Nadal than Fed did today!
I have no doubt Dimi would have been doing much better if he was born 10 years further back.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

In fairness to Dimi, he's shown enough this tournament to make me think he may be heading toward better things. Not necessarily great, multi-slam things... but top ten seems possible now.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm

The state of the forum is better and worse. Ergo concordantly we have an irrevocable systemic anomaly creating a double dip divergence in the Dimi sector of the whoopy fields.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:02 am

I like the craziness personally. Especially when it's unprovoked and unexpected. I liked how yesterday a few people saying "I don't think Rafa's blister will affect him that much" turned this place into a war zone! That was funny.

As long as it's not repetitive, a bit of a rumble is good entertainment. The repetitive stuff can be boring (eras and wot not, or repetitive wumming) but people can choose not to read it.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:13 am

Nore Staat wrote:The state of the forum is better and worse.  Ergo concordantly we have an irrevocable systemic anomaly creating a double dip divergence in the Dimi sector of the whoopy fields.

If you pick out every 5th letter in my original post, it says exactly that.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:22 am

Forums are an odd thing, theyre designed to simulate the real world debate around the table sort of thing, but usually end up being a place where people vent their frustrations of real life, and say things they NEVER would dare to someones face. Some guys revel in that release, and that tension, but its a dangerous game and it becomes all too unpleasant to watch, especially for those looking for the former

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:38 am

I actually think dimi has some advantages to his game in regards to his match up with nadal compared with fed. He is taller better built helps to handle the heavy spin forehand. He serves bigger and hits the ball much heavier than fed who is a flatter hitter in these ways he can potentially be tougher than fed against nadal. Not saying he is better than fed in anyway but he seems to handle the heavy spin better on the backhand. I think if he gets fitter and improves his return he could be multi slam good

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:38 am

I actually think dimi has some advantages to his game in regards to his match up with nadal compared with fed. He is taller better built helps to handle the heavy spin forehand. He serves bigger and hits the ball much heavier than fed who is a flatter hitter in these ways he can potentially be tougher than fed against nadal. Not saying he is better than fed in anyway but he seems to handle the heavy spin better on the backhand. I think if he gets fitter and improves his return he could be multi slam good

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:36 am

socal1976 wrote:I actually think dimi has some advantages to his game in regards to his match up with nadal compared with fed. He is taller better built helps to handle the heavy spin forehand. He serves bigger and hits the ball much heavier than fed who is a flatter hitter in these ways he can potentially be tougher than fed against nadal. Not saying he is better than fed in anyway but he seems to handle the heavy spin better on the backhand. I think if he gets fitter and improves his return he could be multi slam good

The problem is Dmitrov does not have a return game to speak of. Even an out-of-sorts Rafa was able to hold serve comfortably during most of the quarterfinal with Grigor.

Now if Dmitrov can improve his return game, then he may have a shout as far as slam success goes.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:59 am

kemet wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I actually think dimi has some advantages to his game in regards to his match up with nadal compared with fed. He is taller better built helps to handle the heavy spin forehand. He serves bigger and hits the ball much heavier than fed who is a flatter hitter in these ways he can potentially be tougher than fed against nadal. Not saying he is better than fed in anyway but he seems to handle the heavy spin better on the backhand. I think if he gets fitter and improves his return he could be multi slam good

The problem is Dmitrov does not have a return game to speak of. Even an out-of-sorts Rafa was able to hold serve comfortably during most of the quarterfinal with Grigor.

Now if Dmitrov can improve his return game, then he may have a shout as far as slam success goes.

Agree fully, the return is as important as the serve and at this stage that is the big thing holding him back. While Fed has never been a great returner he was a good returner especially when he had that explosive first step. If Dimi can make a substantial improvement in this area than the rest of the game is really good. This is one of the reasons that I have not been too high on his chances from the beginning was his highly deficient return. He seemed to be better at so far in the AO.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 25 Jan 2014, 2:12 am

kemet wrote:The problem is Dmitrov does not have a return game to speak of. Even an out-of-sorts Rafa was able to hold serve comfortably during most of the quarterfinal with Grigor.

But he is in the same boat as Federer with a SHBH. If Federer is a barometer to go by, Dimitrov will face the same issues magnified by technology and environment even further. Apart from Federer, I think Kuerten, Sampras, Wawrinka, Lendl are some I recall in slam finals.

BTW, Glad for JHM using the water hose to calm it a bit.

Lydian… every high follows a low and vice-a-versa.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 25 Jan 2014, 4:18 am

falzy21 wrote:soo trolling and winding up have to go
I disagree. I certainly would not want to see all WUMing banned. I do not think we should be taking ourselves too seriously. We are not discussing any important things here but just wasting our time talking about the game we like and a bit of wumery can often be more enjoyable and fun than some attempts at "serious" discussion.

Also, for better or for worse, I feel fairly certain that the forum would go empty and dry if it attempted to ban all wumery.

Sure, there have to be limits to what is allowed. For example, personal attacks on posters who do not enjoy it likely indeed need to go (but I pretty much never see those here), as well as outright spamming (such as for example bouncy boobs - not that there is anything wrong with those in principle).

But my vote is strongly against an all-out ban on wumery. If someone does not enjoy any wumery at all, it is quite easy to just ignore it and have proper debates with like-minded posters.

And, BTW, Stan's BH is clearly superior to Gasquet's Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:07 am

The forum is fine. I think more horseplay is required. I found a break did me good. I shall vanish again after the AO.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 25 Jan 2014, 7:48 am

To use the pub conversation analogy. If I said something like "Do you think Becker will be for the chop now that his first mission has been disastrous" or "Djokovic wants the FO so much it is his holy grail" or even "Have you read what the papers are saying Andy said about Fed after losing in the semi finals" I would expect a bit of friendly banter in return. I wouldn't expect agreement but I wouldn't expect rudeness, insults or to be told to shut up.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:19 am

hawkeye wrote:To use the pub conversation analogy. If I said something like "Do you think Becker will be for the chop now that his first mission has been disastrous" or "Djokovic wants the FO so much it is his holy grail" or even "Have you read what the papers are saying Andy said about Fed after losing in the semi finals" I would expect a bit of friendly banter in return. I wouldn't expect agreement but I wouldn't expect rudeness, insults or to be told to shut up.

I have to agree with hawkeye there is room very everbody here and all posters are different but the main thing should be, imo, is that everyone has an opinion.  Whether others agree with it is immaterial... it does not make that poster wrong because you dont agree with it .. neither are they foolish or stupid for thinking it. Point out by all means your disagreement .. but leave it at that and move on the discussion should not degenerate into rudenes  It would be pointless having such a forum if there were not going to be exchanges of opinions. Banter is amusing and so often can contain the point you are making. Some * yes including me( do at times take it seriously.. but Im working on it. but a little respect never goes amiss

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next