The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract

+28
Irish Londoner
rodders
HammerofThunor
wales606
GunsGerms
Cardiff Dave
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
XR
Notch
welshy824 (new)
SecretFly
LordDowlais
whocares
Chunky Norwich
Scrumpy
ME-109
quinsforever
Seagultaf
wayne
Allty
VinceWLB
bedfordwelsh
Coleman
Stone Motif
Knowsit17
Steffan
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
32 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract Empty Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract

Post by Kingshu Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25896487

Central Contract?

Well this was coming, so what happens now?

I though that the regions wouldn't play Centrally contracted players, but Lewis said

"I am extremely grateful to the Cardiff Blues chairman, Peter Thomas, for his understanding when the WRU chairman [David Pickering] and I met him on Wednesday to outline this proposed plan.

So have Cardiff Blues broken rank? or has there been a change in stance by all the regions?

Its good news for Cardiff Blues fans, and fans of the Pro 12 to be keeping a top player, but will it end or make the infighting worse?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract Empty Re: Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 am

You spelt his name wrong, as part of his contract his name is officially changed to WRUburton.

I can't work this out, hearing mixed messages about whether the Blues have consented to having him play for them next season. Also have heard AWJ was offered to join the union, but play at the blues! As nice as it would be for this to be a few/wru middle ground, sadly I think it is far from it, and expect sparks to fly now WRUburton is on a union contract.

Also I wonder how Tipuric feels now he knows he will only be able to start either at blindside or if the golden boy is injured, regardless of form.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract Empty Re: Wales captain Sam Warburton signs WRU central contract

Post by Steffan Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Bet the horrible Pieman is loving this. He gets to keep the Warb but doesnt have to pay a penny. Even though the guy is scum this is good news for Welsh rugby with the WRU finally being able to take control of the best players as opposed to moneymen serving themselves. Think we all knew the Pieman would be the first to break

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Quite a gain for the WRU in the turf war with RRW. The (limited) sources I've seen so far are indicating that the Blues management gave consent which makes things more interesting. Though this is premature, could this imply dissent or division in regional ranks? The cynic in me strongly suspects that that would be exactly what the WRU hoped for all along.

Think it's a tad early to be assessing whether this is a step in the right direction.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Steffan wrote:Bet the horrible Pieman is loving this. He gets to keep the Warb but doesnt have to pay a penny. Even though the guy is scum this is good news for Welsh rugby with the WRU finally being able to take control of the best players as opposed to moneymen serving themselves. Think we all knew the Pieman would be the first to break

The same WRUb the 'horrible pie man' has been paying to play for someone else for the last five years, in the knowledge that he could suffer a career-ending injury any minute?

Nice reasoning, genius.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Quite a gain for the WRU in the turf war with RRW. The (limited) sources I've seen so far are indicating that the Blues management gave consent which makes things more interesting. Though this is premature, could this imply dissent or division in regional ranks? The cynic in me strongly suspects that that would be exactly what the WRU hoped for all along.

Think it's a tad early to be assessing whether this is a step in the right direction.

Roger may 'intend' for Warburton to play for Cardiff next season. But he also 'intends' to put Cardiff out of business. He can't have it both ways. Sam Our Captain has no more than ten games a season in him anyway or that shoulder will retire him.

Interesting to see what a court will think of the Union influencing the marketplace and outbidding one of their own if the Grauniad is correct and no other offers were on the table for Sam.

Very interesting to see people singing the praises of Princess Rog as he is caught red handed in another lie. If he thinks the captan of Wales is worth £270k then his £1m offer to the regions to centrally contract the six players he mentioned out of contract this season was blatently scotch mist.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:43 pm

Steffan wrote:Bet the horrible Pieman is loving this. He gets to keep the Warb but doesnt have to pay a penny. Even though the guy is scum this is good news for Welsh rugby with the WRU finally being able to take control of the best players as opposed to moneymen serving themselves. Think we all knew the Pieman would be the first to break

'Moneymen serving themselves'?! How about players serving their employers (the money men) like in any employment contract. That's what's meant to happen in a job. Except the international stars rarely serve their employers. They play more for Wales than for their clubs, at the full cost of the club owners. This just redresses that balance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 am

I'm interested. Now Sam is centrally contracted to the Union, will he get paid match fees for playing for Wales? I'm not sure what they're on a match for Wales but if you deduct all the match fees and funnel them in to central contracts. Would you come close to a full years salary for the 32 man squad?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:16 am

I think I read that in Ireland the centrally contracted players do not get match fees.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:26 am

The Blues originally said they wouldn't select any WRU funded players so lets see how true to their word they are.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:The Blues originally said they wouldn't select any WRU funded players so lets see how true to their word they are.

Not using a player at your disposal (and the best one too) that you don't even have to pay, how fking stupid would that be?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:59 am

It's not about being stupid, but standing strong with the other regions. I'd hate for us to be Judas and break from RRW leaving the Scarlets', 'O's and Dragons up the creek.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 am

Coleman Isn't this what the regions are considering doing to the Irish, Scots and Italians

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 am

It is, and i wouldn't be at all happy if the regions moved to the Jeff if i'm honest. But regardless of what they do, i'd like for them to do it as unit. I don't trust Pies; he's the type of guy who will drop the other regions in it if it helps him to further his own agenda.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:58 am

Allty wrote:Coleman  Isn't this what the regions are considering doing to the Irish, Scots and Italians
NO, not as a first option

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:28 am

VinceWLB wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:The Blues originally said they wouldn't select any WRU funded players so lets see how true to their word they are.

Not using a player at your disposal (and the best one too) that you don't even have to pay, how fking stupid would that be?

I totally agree but like other shave said its about them standing together but I have no doubt whatsoever that the WRU will try and pit the Regions against each other if they can.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:28 am

Allty wrote:Coleman  Isn't this what the regions are considering doing to the Irish, Scots and Italians

No, we just want our own union to stop prostituting our commercial opportunities in order to subsidise them.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 am

VinceWLB wrote:

He won't ever be available. Even if Wales didn't have first dibs he is too injury prone, hence no other offers from England or France being put on the table. Benging over for a Rogering would be fking stupid. Almost as fking stupid is the stance expressed in your post, Vince.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:36 am

Stone Motif wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:

He won't ever be available.  Even if Wales didn't have first dibs he is too injury prone, hence no other offers from England or France being put on the table.  Benging over for a Rogering would be fking stupid.  Almost as fking stupid is the stance expressed in your post, Vince.

That's not what his agent is saying. According to his agent there were two offers from French T14. The latest from Toulon last week.

Looking a gift horse in the mouth would appear rather stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 am

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:

He won't ever be available.  Even if Wales didn't have first dibs he is too injury prone, hence no other offers from England or France being put on the table.  Benging over for a Rogering would be fking stupid.  Almost as fking stupid is the stance expressed in your post, Vince.

That's not what his agent is saying. According to his agent there were two offers from French T14. The latest from Toulon last week.

Looking a gift horse in the mouth would appear rather stupid.

Well, quite. I'm sure if the French were willing to chuck away that kind of cash for a snappy player his agent would be telling him to bite their hand off, non? This is Derwyn we're talking about.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:02 am

Why should it matter that it is Derwyn? Do you think he is lying? Would be a bit silly as it can be easily verified.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:13 am

Munchkin wrote:Why should it matter that it is Derwyn? Do you think he is lying? Would be a bit silly as it can be easily verified.

Until I see it verified I call BS, yeah.

Notice there have been no rumours around SW a la Shove, AWJ, et al in the press? He is not value for money to anyone but the WRU.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 am

Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Why should it matter that it is Derwyn? Do you think he is lying? Would be a bit silly as it can be easily verified.

Notice there have been no rumours around SW a la Shove, AWJ, et al in the press?  He is not value for money to anyone but the WRU.

So you wouldn't keep an open mind until the truth, or not, of the claim is verified either way.

Well Toulon certainly think he's value for money if the claim is true. If, as you say, he is only value for money for WRU, then how can anyone blame him for signing with them?

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:04 am

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Notice there have been no rumours around SW a la Shove, AWJ, et al in the press?  He is not value for money to anyone but the WRU.

So you wouldn't keep an open mind until the truth, or not, of the claim is verified either way.

Well Toulon certainly think he's value for money if the claim is true. If, as you say, he is only value for money for WRU, then how can anyone blame him for signing with them?
Well Munchkin therein lies the problem, according to Derwyn he was offered £700,000 which is twice his UK salary, yet Sean OBrien was their first choice, so he would have commanded at least as much possibly even more and he turned them down, so how come the IRFU can spend at least as much, possibly more to keep him and 20 other CC players yet the WRU can only do this for 4 players for the £1M they are prepared to spend, when the 2 Unions have aprox, the same turnover.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am

His body wouldn't have stood one let alone how many seasons he might have signed for.

He's very injury prone and maybe he actually thought leats I might get rested more here play less games etc but still get a decent wage.

The French, if they had paid a hefty price for him would want their pound of flesh as they say.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:31 am

This is all about the WRU driving a wedge between the Regions. They wanted to contract North last season but he had to play for the Blues! Rumours are, that the same offer was made to AWJ, but the Ospreys came up with the cash (not sure from where).

Warburton is just a pawn in the on-going arguments between WRU and regions and I for one, am disappointed that he has allowed himself to be used in this divisive way.

I am not against central contracts but, we can't have the Union in competition with their clubs for the services of players. It will be interesting to see what the Blues say about this next week, or have they sold out the other regions?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 pm

probably the only way for warbs to make sure his name is on the team sheet ahead of tipuric. smart move sam.  Run 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:17 pm

wayne wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Well Munchkin therein lies the problem, according to Derwyn he was offered £700,000 which is twice his UK salary, yet Sean OBrien was their first choice, so he would have commanded at least as much possibly even more and he turned them down, so how come the IRFU can spend at least as much, possibly more to keep him and 20 other CC players yet the WRU can only do this for 4 players for the £1M they are prepared to spend, when the 2 Unions have aprox, the same turnover.  
not a cats chance in hell that warburton was offered £700k by Toulon. absolutely no way that such an injury prone, hot-and-cold player, a large part of whose value to WRU is in his leadership of the Wales team, would get offered that by Toulon. wilkinson is a far more inspiring leader. 1/2P got £395k per annum and will be the replacement kicker when wilko goes. Warbs would struggle to hold down a starting jersey for Toulon.

maybe £700k was what derwyn was asking for him, but there is no way toulon would pay that. boudjellal didnt make his money by being an idiot.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm

quinsforever wrote:
wayne wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

not a cats chance in hell that warburton was offered £700k by Toulon. absolutely no way that such an injury prone, hot-and-cold player, a large part of whose value to WRU is in his leadership of the Wales team, would get offered that by Toulon. wilkinson is a far more inspiring leader. 1/2P got £395k per annum and will be the replacement kicker when wilko goes. Warbs would struggle to hold down a starting jersey for Toulon.

maybe £700k was what derwyn was asking for him, but there is no way toulon would pay that. boudjellal didnt make his money by being an idiot.

£700k does sound excessive. Maybe it was 700k euro (£580k)? Closer to T14 top wages. I don't think it matters if it was £700k or £310k. What matters is that he was made an offer, or two, and he rejected them in order to remain in Wales playing for the Blues. Fair play to him. It's his life, his career, his future, his choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm

look at it from toulon's perspective. steffon armitage is available for ALL toulon matches. as is wilko, matt giteau, etc, etc. what would they pay for a player, joining ahead of a world cup year, whose availability would be 10-12 games less in a top14 season? not a freaking chance it would be EUR700k. 1/2P is being groomed as kicker. I bet you Toulon would not have offered more than £300k for Warburton. Max. Why pay someone more than Steffon Armitage, who is going to be ineligible for 1/3 of matches, has know injury issues, and isnt as good?  Shocked 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:24 pm

quinsforever wrote:look at it from toulon's perspective. steffon armitage is available for ALL toulon matches. as is wilko, matt giteau, etc, etc. what would they pay for a player, joining ahead of a world cup year, whose availability would be 10-12 games less in a top14 season? not a freaking chance it would be EUR700k. 1/2P is being groomed as kicker. I bet you Toulon would not have offered more than £300k for Warburton. Max. Why pay someone more than Steffon Armitage, who is going to be ineligible for 1/3 of matches, has know injury issues, and isnt as good?  Shocked 

Still making things up qf...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 pm

u still able to post? good work.

given you are, what do you find problematic in my reasoning?

toulon were all over SOB. warburton was never mentioned. what, if anything, do YOU think warbs might have been offered? plenty of reference points available to educate your guess.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Couldn't care less what they offered him it is irrelevant (much like 99.9% of your posts)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Some of the abuse aimed at him is pathetic and thrown about by mindless idiots, until you are faced with a decision whether it be finanially or professionally then you don't know what it feels like.

Warburton seems a very down earth - homely sort of bloke so maybe the idea of moving abroad just didn't appeal to him. I am sure if he had to to support his family then he would of but the option to stay in Wales and live in Wales came to him so he accepted it.

As ex Forces I spent most of my carear away from Wales and for financial reason now am living wrong side of the bridge but its what I have to do to support my family, if I could earn same money as I am on now back home then I would and likewise if there had been options to serve in Wales or rather more options to serve in Wales then I would have.

You do what you think is right and what you have to do.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Some of the abuse aimed at him is pathetic and thrown about by mindless idiots, until you are faced with a decision whether it be finanially or professionally then you don't know what it feels like.

Warburton seems a very down earth - homely sort of bloke so maybe the idea of moving abroad just didn't appeal to him.  I am sure if he had to to support his family then he would of but the option to stay in Wales and live in Wales came to him so he accepted it.

As ex Forces I spent most of my carear away from Wales and for financial reason now am living wrong side of the bridge but its what I have to do to support my family, if I could earn same money as I am on now back home then I would and likewise if there had been options to serve in Wales or rather more options to serve in Wales then I would have.

You do what you think is right and what you have to do.

Whilst I fully agree that the player has a limited career and has to do what is right for himself, and/or his family etc. However at the same time, I am very very miffed to say the least.

My main issue is that at times principles come before cash. He was offered a contract by the Blues, but instead has chosen to sign for the union (for more money). Seeing as his six nations team mates have all either signed for a region or moved away, I think he has made a real howler by signing for the union. Lets translate this to the everyday workplace. Imagine the WRU being a café/restaurant that has is run by managers (WRU Borad/Gats etc), and all the rest of the staff are from agencies (staff = players, agencies = regions). Then one day the café decide that they are tired of dealing with the agency and they will take on a few full time staff, head hunter from the agency. The agency staff all decide to either stay on with the agency or sod off to another job somewhere else. Then one lad says he will leave the agency and become full time café staff. He basically premotes himself from being seen as 'one of us' by the rest of the agency staff, and then becomes 'one of them' and that is not really ideal for a good working environment.

Secondly, the WRU are a union, put in place to look after the interest of the clubs, players, national side, and now the regions too. Can you imagine if Unite or Unison decided that they were going to start paying wages for some of their members and not others? What makes Sam Warburton worth centrally contracting, when Tipuric is arguably better, and the likes of Navidi and Sam Lewis are starting to look like real options too, but then not centrally contract Toby Faletau or Jon Davies who are irreplaceable in the set up? Unions are meant to be there to protect people, but this move can/has only caused more problems. It is not necessarily Sam WRUburtons fault, however he is a grown man, and if his actions cause problems for the wider welsh squad/welsh game, he should have this made clear to him.

Also as a bit of a side note - As for Sam being a nice down to earth lad, lets not forget this “I’m living proof that you get out of life what you put in, and that the sacrifices you make along the way do pay off and bring rewards which make it all worthwhile.” when being awarded with an honorary fellowship at the Uni of South Wales http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rugby-star-sam-warburton-awarded-6411126. That is far from the truth, the people who attend university, and graft for three/four years (or even more) to actually earn their degrees are the living proof that you get out what you put in. Sam is living proof that people will suck up to their sporting heroes and give them awards for no reason/relevance just so they can claim to have been involved in something with their hero. Comments like that one for Sam, make me think he is far from the down to earth level headed player he is made out to be.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 am

I hope the Blues show Warbs the door and the other Regions slam their's in his face.

They have to stand firm.

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 am

A sad, sad day in welsh rugby history. A player used as a pawn in a messy political wrangle.

WRUburton won't be a Union employee until September, so there will be alot of water under the bridge before then.... the Blues will know what competitions they are playing in.

So they don't technically have to make any statement now about whether they will break the "no cc players" pact.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:58 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Also as a bit of a side note - As for Sam being a nice down to earth lad, lets not forget this  “I’m living proof that you get out of life what you put in, and that the sacrifices you make along the way do pay off and bring rewards which make it all worthwhile.”  when being awarded with an honorary fellowship at the Uni of South Wales http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/rugby-star-sam-warburton-awarded-6411126.  That is far from the truth, the people who attend university, and graft for three/four years (or even more) to actually earn their degrees are the living proof that you get out what you put in.  Sam is living proof that people will suck up to their sporting heroes and give them awards for no reason/relevance just so they can claim to have been involved in something with their hero.  Comments like that one for Sam, make me think he is far from the down to earth level headed player he is made out to be.

Not to mention he has just signed a contract that with a guy that by his own admission wants to send all Sam's mates and fellow employees (including his own brother) down the Job Centre.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 am

His only signed it as his the Welsh Captain, just goes to show that Warbs, Gatland and the WRU are just too cosy with each other.

I feel sorry for the guys who won't be able to compete for his shirt or starting place.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 am

have read comments from martyn williams saying this precedent can create havoc. Appart from giving a preferential treatment to the Welsh captain and triggering jealousy amongst other players, I dont see what is wrong to that. Isnt what the Irish already have in terms of system which works pretty well? I mean not all Irish internationals are centrally contracted right? granted the provinvces are union owned already so is this what Welsh people are fearing? thought you guys would be happy to have a player staying in Wales at least.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 am

I cannot believe all the crap Sam Warburton is getting, ffs he is just a kid, and he was presented an opportunity that could very well guarantee him for life, and you lot say he should be ashamed of himself, if any one of you lot on here were put in his position I wonder what you lot would have done ? I know I would have taken the money and ran at his age, you lot need to give this kid a break, he has done what he has thought what was best for HIMSELF, not what is best for you lot, why can this work in Ireland but not work in Wales ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 am

whocares wrote:have read comments from martyn williams saying this precedent can create havoc. Appart from giving a preferential treatment to the Welsh captain and triggering jealousy amongst other players, I dont see what is wrong to that. Isnt what the Irish already have in terms of system which works pretty well? I mean not all Irish internationals are centrally contracted right? granted the provinvces are union owned already so is this what Welsh people are fearing? thought you guys would be happy to have a player staying in Wales at least.  

What most of us, I believe, are fearing is the union starting to move players as they see fit, and also deciding when they play and in what position etc. Last season the union were looking at buying George North off the Scarlets and 'placing' him at the Blues, and there are rumours that Alun Wyn Jones was offered the central contract, however in signing it he would have been relocated to the Blues.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 am

Why do they want all these players at the Blues though ? Or is it just people rumour mongering ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:44 am

LD - we know for a fact about George and Sam, but not too sure about AWJ. It could be rumour-mongering, it could be factual, and it could be a bit of both. Whatever it is, the major fact is that there are a lot of people worried about the union being involved in player movements. I remember when they 'advised' Mike Phillips to leave the Scarlets in order to progress his career, he ended up at the Blues. So I personally think there could well be something in it. But have no proof, just theory.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:45 am

LordDowlais wrote:Why do they want all these players at the Blues though ? Or is it just people rumour mongering ?
I've been wondering this. I'd hope it's all rumour mongering. But as i've stated before, you can't trust Peter Thomas, he may be playing both sides.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 am

Coleman wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Why do they want all these players at the Blues though ? Or is it just people rumour mongering ?
I've been wondering this. I'd hope it's all rumour mongering. But as i've stated before, you can't trust Peter Thomas, he may be playing both sides.

I doubt it, the Blues have not made a comment officially about this all yet. I think he would have come out and made some sort of comment if they were trying to play both sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
whocares wrote:have read comments from martyn williams saying this precedent can create havoc. Appart from giving a preferential treatment to the Welsh captain and triggering jealousy amongst other players, I dont see what is wrong to that. Isnt what the Irish already have in terms of system which works pretty well? I mean not all Irish internationals are centrally contracted right? granted the provinvces are union owned already so is this what Welsh people are fearing? thought you guys would be happy to have a player staying in Wales at least.  

What most of us, I believe, are fearing is the union starting to move players as they see fit, and also deciding when they play and in what position etc.  Last season the union were looking at buying George North off the Scarlets and 'placing' him at the Blues, and there are rumours that Alun Wyn Jones was offered the central contract, however in signing it he would have been relocated to the Blues.

I hear you SS but does it mean you prefer to see George North playing for Northampton than someone else in Wales?
Personally if I was a Welsh supporter , I would have preferred 1/2p to stay in Wales than go to Toulon. It's important to keep a hand on some of the "core" players (positions 2-8-9-10-15 for instance) .

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 am

Coleman, my farther spends a lot of his time watching the Blues and he is usually on the button when it comes to rumours and the what not, and not once has he or anyone else down there ever mentioned anything about centrally contracted players being asked to play for the Blues, so I find it strange that it keeps comming up on this forum in particular. Headscratch 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am

whocares wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

What most of us, I believe, are fearing is the union starting to move players as they see fit, and also deciding when they play and in what position etc.  Last season the union were looking at buying George North off the Scarlets and 'placing' him at the Blues, and there are rumours that Alun Wyn Jones was offered the central contract, however in signing it he would have been relocated to the Blues.

I hear you SS but does it mean you prefer to see George North playing for Northampton than someone else in Wales?
Personally if I was a Welsh supporter , I would have preferred 1/2p to stay in Wales than go to Toulon. It's important to keep a hand on some of the "core" players (positions 2-8-9-10-15 for instance) .

I'd second that question. People are so fixated on the context of regions vs union not many people seem concerned with the alternative, the continuation of the mass exodus. It's why I find the abuse so silly as it fosters a distinct impression that players concerned just can't win, whatever they choose is the wrong option!

I'm also curious SS, in one of your posts you say the Blues also offered Sam a new contract yet the report states that the WRU's offer was the only option he had of staying in Wales. Reports are often selective and distorting, I'll admit but it remains that I've found no details at all about any supposed negotiations between Warbs and the Blues proper. Could you provide a link if possible?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:59 am

whocares wrote:

does it mean you prefer to see George North playing for Northampton than someone else in Wales?

I'd rather players play elsewhere. Central contracts must not happen in Wales.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next