The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

+81
VinceWLB
seanmichaels
littlejohn
Wi11
wolfball
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
asoreleftshoulder
Biltong
Hood83
westisbest
tigertattie
kingelderfield
Cari
yappysnap
RDSguru
stub
Duty281
HQ matt
Steffan
BamBam
doctor_grey
GloriousEmpire
No9
gregortree
LordDowlais
2ndtimeround
offload
englandglory4ever
profitius
Janecory
beshocked
nathan
nobbled
Cadair Idris
Notch
wales606
san
flyhalffactory
glamorganalun
Liam
rodders
international197
Norfolklass
The Saint
samuraidragon
Cyril
Casartelli
kiakahaaotearoa
daidimview
sportform
Nematode
Breadvan
munkian
irnbrew
George Carlin
overlordofthewest
wrfc1980
TJ
Jhamer25
jimmyinthewell68
Comfort
ScarletSpiderman
lostinwales
SecretFly
Jimpy
maestegmafia
Taffineastbourne
Scratch
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
gavstar
majesticimperialman
jammoboss
GunsGerms
whocares
BigTrevsbigmac
The Bachelor
hugehandoff
Scrumpy
85 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_lcap51%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 36 ]
Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_lcap48%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 34 ]
Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 71

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Empty Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by Scrumpy Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a thread seeing as our Welsh posters are few and far between this week.

Big, Massive, Huge game for both teams, how do you see it going?

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Rhodri Jones
4. AWJ (c)
5. Coombes
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Hook
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. James
17. Owens
18. A.Jones
19. Ball
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. Phillips
23. Li Williams

News

- Wales centre Scott Williams has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations after injuring his shoulder in the 26-3 defeat by Ireland. (lesson to be learnt there for Mr Williams)

- Warburton and Gethin released to play for the Blues this weekend (Please note I used Warburton not WRUburton!)

- Guscott - "Wales should 'think about dropping Mike Phillips"

- "It's probably one of the worst performances that we've had since I've been involved," said Gatland.

- Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips has challenged One Direction's Niall Horan to train with the Welsh squad after the singer criticised him on Twitter.

- Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training.

- Centre Jonathan Davies has been ruled out of Wales' Six Nations clash against France on Friday after failing to recover from a pectoral injury.  Osprey Ashley Beck, has also been ruled out.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:25 pm

we ll all know apart from injuries its going to be exactly same side from the Irish game except charteris for combs and beck for Scott . gats will not be dropping lydiate, priestland .Adam Jones or Philips

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Taking into account who we have in the squad, and fitness etc

James, Hibbard, Lee, Ball, AWJ, Coombs, Tipuric, Taulupe;
Webb, Biggar, Halfpenny, Roberts, Beck (Want O Williams), North, Li Williams
(Bench: Owens, Jenkins, A Jones, Charteris, Warburton, Lydiate; Phillips, Priestland)

Not too sure about the half backs, could swap them around, and have put an extra backrower in as we are out of back (bar Hook, but I don't want him in the squad).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm

I think we will have to wait and see hoe certain player get on this weekend. Especially Gethin, Warburton and Samson Lee. If Sasmson lee scrummages well against a strong Ulster pack then Gatland seriously has to consider him in the starting 23 and using him to good effect off the bench. Domingo will start but Forestier struggle when coming off the bench, Cittadini came on and put him under a lot of pressure because Italy used him very well (Castrogiovnni is very lucky still to be their starting tighthead). If Samson is in the 23 then he should come on if Adam struggles in the first half or bring him on after fifty to attack their scrum.
I've been wondering hwy Gatland hasn't released Ball, do any of you think Gatland mind what his size and power up front against the french pack? I would

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

He hasn't released Coombs either. Just short on locks with a doubt over Turftoe still.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 13 Feb 2014, 7:33 pm

I really hope he doesn't pick Beck, am not a fan of Hook but Beck is even further down my list of options.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:19 am

Pretty much 50/50 so far.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 14 Feb 2014, 10:36 am

A hard one to call. I don't see Wales as playing as poorly again but unless they change their slow and predicable style then its going to be hard for them to get many wins.

I thought France looked very good and dangerous agaisnt England and contrary to what some on here say played the breakdown well

France look the second best to Ireland of the 6 teams on what we have seen so far.

If Phillips plays Wales will lose. If he is dropped they have a chance but I still think France will edge it. I think france simply will do what Ireland did to wales - flood the breakdown and midfeild and stifle the Welsh attack and I dont think Wales have the defence to stop France scoring.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Fri 14 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

France by 8 points. Wales have over achieved recently and their game plan is one dimensional. They don't score many tires and now their defense is looking dodgy kicks alone won't win them many games.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:France by 8 points. Wales have over achieved recently and their game plan is one dimensional. They don't score many tires and now their defense is looking dodgy kicks alone won't win them many games.

The problem with Wales is we have a tendancy to actually start playing rugby after people start making comments like yours above. So we could see a Welsh team take to the field with a varying game plan, scoring tries from the forwards and backs, and putting all the pens to the corner as opposed to over the posts. We are almost getting as bad as the French for the whole, depends what team turns up thing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 14 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm

I agree I think Wales will win this one.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Feb 2014, 2:30 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote: We are almost getting as bad as the French for the whole, depends what team turns up thing.

Hey!!!  You have a long way to go!  Don't be so hasty trying to steal our crown.  Next to France - or equal with them over the last three or four years - has been Ireland.  You have a long way to go in inconsistency terms before you plummet so low in the "will they?/won't they?" stakes, Scarlet Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Feb 2014, 4:33 pm

Really Fly?! It's Wales who've lost to Samoa lots, Fiji, Argentina, Italy a few times, Romania, Japan! But then interspersed with grand slams and 6 nations titles. I think we're pretty inconsistent thanks. Ireland seem more consistent to me.

Ooh, it's a fight for the 'most inconsistent' title! We'd argue over anything on here...  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Feb 2014, 5:33 pm

Any trophy will do me. Wink 
I was even disappointed France beat us to bottom last year.  When you can't get to the top or to the spoon, you just know you've hit rock bottom!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:24 am

I watched the Blues game last night and thought Warburton looked superb. He should be a bit more useful next week.

Gethin scrimmaged well but I didn't see him do anything remarkable around the field.

Maybe Paul James would be the better loosehead vs France...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Feb 2014, 11:41 am

maestegmafia wrote:I watched the Blues game last night and thought Warburton looked superb. He should be a bit more useful next week.

Gethin scrimmaged well but I didn't see him do anything remarkable around the field.

maestegmafia.

I did not see the game yesterday, but some one wrote on another thread that Warburton was anonimos all game. Do you think/believe that on yesterdays perfomance that Sam Warburton should be given a starting place or a bench place?

They did say that Gethin did scrum well but did not do much more than that all game, untill he was taken off. Did he not last the whole game based on fitness (did he get injured) or was he taken off for tactical reasons?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

Taken off on Gatland request that he doesn't do a whole game?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

Didn't really see warburton do much for the Blues. I still think he'll play but I'd rather see him on the bench.
Phillips will play as he knows the French well from playing there. The other option by the looks of things will be Webb and I must be missing something as I don't see why he's second choice. If he plays it will weaken us IMO.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:Taken off on Gatland request that he doesn't do a whole game?

Yes...!

It was well known before the game that Gatland didn't want squad players playing the full 80. He only wanted forty minutes but I think Warburton and Gethin were on a bit longer.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

overlordofthewest wrote:Didn't really see warburton do much for the Blues. I still think he'll play but I'd rather see him on the bench.
Phillips will play as he knows the French well from playing there. The other option by the looks of things will be Webb and I must be missing something as I don't see why he's second choice. If he plays it will weaken us IMO.

Warburton was the flashy flanker passing behind his back and turning over Glasgow attacking ball all the way through the first half.  Check out the highlights, he was talked about a hell of a lot by the commentators for his good work.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_index.shtml

I'd be happy to see him out playing for Wales next Friday.

It's tough on selection. Tipuric and Warburton could be the best pairing. Lydiate to the bench.

Not sure whether Le Roux will pass fitness tests or not this week so will be interesting to see who they bring in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one and it's desperately difficult to call.

France ran away with it against Italy but looked very average in the first 40. It will all come down to how well Wales start. I've never seen the Welsh forwards provide less of a platform than they did against the Irish and so I couldn't say for sure exactly what went wrong. Warbs had an excellent hour against Glasgow last night, so I'm assuming that will be good enough to see him back in the loosies somewhere.

Scrum will be a worry for Wales, I would think. Mas and Domingo are in their pomp at the moment.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:11 pm

Aye I think you have nailed our worries to the wall there GC.

Tough to call, we need to turn up, can't be as complacent at the start as we were in Dublin.

The team have the ability to win all their remaining matches, they have done it two years in a row.

We are suffering from players returning from injury lacking game time. Gatland was smart to release the right players this weekend.

Biggar and Webbs performance will be heavily monitored this afternoon.

Could well see Biggar for Priestland. Possibly a Warburton and Tipuric backrow with Lydiate to come off the bench..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Can't see Wales being as bad as they were last outing and can't see France playing the game Ireland played that neutralised our attacking threat. The French love to play an open game and this may suit Wales. I think Wales will win by a score but it's going to be close and will be down to the wire.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Sun 16 Feb 2014, 2:54 pm

I watched the game with some welsh speaking pals who said the comment when Warby came off in Welsh was i quote warburton has had an hour play a very quiet hour.I,m a big Warby fan and i don,t doubt that he will start against France and Tips will be on the bench thats just the way Gats see,s it There,s one thing for sure i would not consider playing him at 6 when he has been quiet in his own position of 7 that would be an ask too far

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:54 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I watched the Blues game last night and thought Warburton looked superb. He should be a bit more useful next week.

maestegmafia.

I did not see the game yesterday, but some one wrote on another thread that Warburton was anonimos all game. Do you think/believe that on yesterdays perfomance that Sam Warburton should be given a starting place or a bench place?

They did say that Gethin did scrum well but did not do much more than that all game, untill he was taken off. Did he not last the whole game based on fitness (did he get injured) or was he taken off for tactical reasons?

Gethin did scrummmage very well and when he went off it lost the Blues the game because the scrum lost the plot and Glasgow turned a scrum over to score their last try. But he wasn't very noticeable around he park as some said, he made a lot of tackles but not much work at the break down.
I though Sam was ok at the break down, he got around and put pressure their a few times but no turn overs. Was a mediorce game for him.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Feb 2014, 4:59 pm

Isn't Warbs worth a bench place at the very least, though?
He always seems to play his best stuff for Wales. Whom would everyone have instead?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

My favorites personally would be Tipuric and Ryan Jones.
But Ryan Jones has only just com back from injury so I wouldn't have him back in the 23 yet.
I have a feeling Gatland will go for Sam 6 and Tipuric 7.
Rhys Webb was amazing when he was on for the Ospreys tonight and he deserved to start. Biggar might come in but i think Gatland not releasing Priestland speaks volumes.
Might bring Hook in at 13 but I doubt it. Can't see what other options there are, Beck played well tonight as well for the Ospreys but never seems to shine on the big stage.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:

maestegmafia.

Gethin did scrummmage very well and when he went off it lost the Blues the game because the scrum lost the plot and Glasgow turned a scrum over to score their last try. But he wasn't very noticeable around he park as some said, he made a lot of tackles but not much work at the break down.
I though Sam was ok at the break down, he got around and put pressure their a few times but no turn overs. Was a mediorce game for him.

When he came off Warburton had seven tackle none missed and five turn overs. His passing and support play were excellent.

Check out the pass before Copelands try. Superb stuff.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:07 pm

Great performances by Biggar, Webb, Beck, King, Bevington and Baker.

Great news for Wales going into the week ahead.

I think Biggar for Priestland might be a good call.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

maestegmafia.

When he came off Warburton had seven tackle none missed and five turn overs. His passing and support play were excellent.

Check out the pass before Copelands try. Superb stuff.

5 really, i didn't realise. he was at most ruck applying pressure. Didn't know that, i was keeping my eye on how Gethin was performing more than Sam.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Sun 16 Feb 2014, 7:56 pm

It said and i agree Sam never got one turn over what game was you watching and he did miss one tackle as i saw and i,m not a Sam knocker and still believe he will start on Friday at 7

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_9169087,00.html

Seems France might have shot themselves in the foot slightly, the Clubs ignored requests to rest players and have injured 3 of them - including Fat b*stard

On the Wales front, I'm hoping for a huge turn around in commitment and skill.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:54 am

Biggar, Webb and bevington came off after 45 mins yesterday.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:57 am

Breadvan wrote:Biggar, Webb and bevington came off after 45 mins yesterday.

Being saved for France game ? I do hope so
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:16 am

munkian wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_9169087,00.html

Seems France might have shot themselves in the foot slightly, the Clubs ignored requests to rest players and have injured 3 of them - including Fat b*stard

On the Wales front, I'm hoping for a huge turn around in commitment and skill.

Only Doussain played a full 80 minutes though.

I hope bastareaud will be fit, need his power against Wales. Am annoyed for Kayser, although he wasnt a clear starter we will probably have to throw an uncapped hooker at some point in the game (Mach), very dangerous. We will probably also have Debaty being the TH sub when he hardly plays on the right nowadays. so france better have a nice cushion at HT otherwise they will be in big trouble.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

munkian wrote:

I would like to think so but I some how can't see it happening, at first I thought we would see some tinkering but now I don't think we will see any changes other than injury ones.

Hope I am wrong though.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I really hope he doesn't pick Beck, am not a fan of Hook but Beck is even further down my list of options.

Beck was great yesterday, made Spratt look good. Some great offloads in attack. I don't think we will lose much there.

But I think the general thought was that Davies would be brought back to play with Roberts.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 1:43 pm

As the Turks game got cancelled Davies has had very little game time. Gatland loves utility players, Hook will be on the bench
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 17 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

munkian wrote:

Welcome back munkian, where have you been for the past week? thumbsup

Have you heard the Henson rumour? a little bird told me that he has signed for Newport next season.

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:07 pm

Off work, less time to kill.

I have, and I'd welcome it, He closed the game out nicely against Exeter. Rumour is that we are going for Matthew Morgan too - hopefully we'll drop Kris Burton. Gutted Mitchell is going to Keerdifff and not us.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:08 pm

Does anyone know why France doesn't play Fickou and Fofana, possibly the best centre pairing in world rugby atm? Is it a Franch thing?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

Nematode wrote:Does anyone know why France doesn't play Fickou and Fofana, possibly the best centre pairing in world rugby atm? Is it a Franch thing?

not physical enough according to lagisquet (back coach) who keep on saying that Bastareaud is very underrated. Fickou is also perceived as too young to start.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:23 pm

I hope Hibbard smashes Monsieur Croissant into next week. And actually completes a line-out...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:29 pm

Jonathan Davies has been ruled out of Wales' Six Nations clash against France.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Jonathan Davies has been ruled out of Wales' Six Nations clash against France.

As has Beck.

If only there were more than 3 regions to chose from...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 17 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

munkian wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Jonathan Davies has been ruled out of Wales' Six Nations clash against France.

As has Beck.

If only there were more than 3 regions to chose from...

So that leave us with Roberts, Hook and North (in the squad).

I would imagine that Gats, being the way he is, will plump for Roberts and North in the centre to start, and have Liam Williams fill the wing slot. Then on the bench he will add an extra forward to the bench, rely on only Webb and Hook to cover the backs (and possibly Tipuric at a push)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 17 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

munkian wrote:As the Turks game got cancelled Davies has had very little game time. Gatland loves utility players, Hook will be on the bench

Foxy was not down to play for us, he is still crocked, and funny enough is most likely to fit (if lucky) for the back end of the six nations, like originally predicted. He has been really badly treated by the WRU trying to rush him back.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 3:05 pm

Hook and Roberts to start
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm

Reports are saying Beck is out with a hip injury

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014, 3:59 pm

I'd heard that too
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014, 4:24 pm

me too….is owen williams an option, if not i guess it will be north…….or hook?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next