The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

+81
VinceWLB
seanmichaels
littlejohn
Wi11
wolfball
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
ME-109
asoreleftshoulder
Biltong
Hood83
westisbest
tigertattie
kingelderfield
Cari
yappysnap
RDSguru
stub
Duty281
HQ matt
Steffan
BamBam
doctor_grey
GloriousEmpire
No9
gregortree
LordDowlais
2ndtimeround
offload
englandglory4ever
profitius
Janecory
beshocked
nathan
nobbled
Cadair Idris
Notch
wales606
san
flyhalffactory
glamorganalun
Liam
rodders
international197
Norfolklass
The Saint
samuraidragon
Cyril
Casartelli
kiakahaaotearoa
daidimview
sportform
Nematode
Breadvan
munkian
irnbrew
George Carlin
overlordofthewest
wrfc1980
TJ
Jhamer25
jimmyinthewell68
Comfort
ScarletSpiderman
lostinwales
SecretFly
Jimpy
maestegmafia
Taffineastbourne
Scratch
bedfordwelsh
Seagultaf
gavstar
majesticimperialman
jammoboss
GunsGerms
whocares
BigTrevsbigmac
The Bachelor
hugehandoff
Scrumpy
85 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_lcap51%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 36 ]
Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_lcap48%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 34 ]
Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 71

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Empty Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by Scrumpy Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 14:05

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a thread seeing as our Welsh posters are few and far between this week.

Big, Massive, Huge game for both teams, how do you see it going?

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Rhodri Jones
4. AWJ (c)
5. Coombes
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Biggar
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Hook
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

16. James
17. Owens
18. A.Jones
19. Ball
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. Phillips
23. Li Williams

News

- Wales centre Scott Williams has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations after injuring his shoulder in the 26-3 defeat by Ireland. (lesson to be learnt there for Mr Williams)

- Warburton and Gethin released to play for the Blues this weekend (Please note I used Warburton not WRUburton!)

- Guscott - "Wales should 'think about dropping Mike Phillips"

- "It's probably one of the worst performances that we've had since I've been involved," said Gatland.

- Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips has challenged One Direction's Niall Horan to train with the Welsh squad after the singer criticised him on Twitter.

- Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training.

- Centre Jonathan Davies has been ruled out of Wales' Six Nations clash against France on Friday after failing to recover from a pectoral injury.  Osprey Ashley Beck, has also been ruled out.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed 19 Feb 2014 - 14:16; edited 4 times in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:27

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:As the Turks game got cancelled Davies has had very little game time. Gatland loves utility players, Hook will be on the bench

Foxy was not down to play for us, he is still crocked, and funny enough is most likely to fit (if lucky) for the back end of the six nations, like originally predicted.  He has been really badly treated by the WRU trying to rush him back.

I think everyone was surprised when he was named as it was always said he would be doubtful till the end of the tournament, he could have always been added at a later date if proved fitness etc.

With the current options in the squad then it is either Hook or North, Owen Williams has had some game time for the Blues so maybe he could be called in.

I would give North a crack there with Li Williams on the wing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales vs France - Friday 21st Feb 8pm KO.

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:33

Jonny is calling the Ireland game as a precursor of RWC success for England. Would have to say the same for Wales; if we think we have any chance of getting the Aussie monkey off our back and beating the hosts at home i think we MUST win the next 2 games.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:34

haha, so Scott, John, Beck, Owen, Allen ans Dixon are all out injured. Rolling Eyes 

Gatland will put North in center I think though i would like to see Hook I don't think it's going to happen.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:34

munkian wrote:Hook and Roberts to start

Roberts n North I am guessing at
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:36

Two people have gone for the draw and ironically 20 apiece have gone for France and Wales.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by daidimview Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:42

15. Hook
14. Cuthbert
13. North
12. Roberts
11. Halfpenny
10. Biggar
09. Phillips
08. Faletau
07. Tipuric
06. Warburton
05. Wyn Jones
04. R.Jones
03. Lee
02. Owens
01. James

Ryan is not 100% but still twice the player than Charteris. Coombs to cover bench option of 6 - lock.

daidimview

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:44

At least with the France game last year, Wales had come back against Ireland well in the second half and got some confidence. However this year it was a total shut out. Is anger and hurt pride enough to turn around a woeful Welsh performance?

There were glimpses here and there but there was no continuity from Wales. Just when they started to string a few phases together they were snuffed out. I imagine France will see what Ireland did was not overly complicated but it was very effective. In a way PSA will be delighted as he seems to relish forward exchanges and keep things simple. If Wales make it easy for them, then it's going to be very easy to envision how France will play. PSA, on the other hand, will be very confident as to how Gatland wants his team to play so it comes down to who makes the fewest errors and excecutes the best. Despite playing away, France look the more likely on form to do that. Can Wales turn their performance around?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:53

Hook at XV please for the love of god no, Lee hasn't even been on bench so wont start, Hibbard had bad game just needs kick up backside and as for Jones at 2nd row crazy.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 16:57

Yes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 17:07

"Yes."

Brevity is the soul of it Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 17:09

Wales don't need to panic just yet, yes it was a bad day at the office and yes Gatland was as much to blame as the players imo, poor game plan and subs, but to be honest I think they may have lost to the winners of this years 6 Nations.

Ireland were just up for it, and when they are like that they have the potential to beat anyone.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 19:02

bedfordwelsh wrote:Hook at XV please for the love of god no, Lee hasn't even been on bench so wont start, Hibbard had bad game just needs kick up backside and as for Jones at 2nd row crazy.

You are right to direct your ire at Hook. Even on the bench he is a disruptive influence with no game management and it puts Priestland off.

Probably the key reason we got stuffed sideways up our own hole in Dublin.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 19:10

Hook's continued presence on the bench without being used is probably one of the best indications of Gatland's attitude to backs and his lack of imagination.
His basic approach to back play is perhaps unsurprising given he is a former hooker; route 1 boshing with big lumps carrying the ball. It is blunt and, as Schmidt has shown, utterly transparent.
On the bench he has a game changer who plays high risk reward rugby and yet even against Ireland when Gatland's style was being shown up as ineffective, he did not have the confidence to try Hook as an option in midfield.
Clealry he is only there for injury cover.
I feel sorry for Hook, his all round talent has cost him his Wales career and because Wales have dropped heads up rugby for a more direct approach, I think his type of creativity just does not fit.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 19:23

The thing about Hook is that even if Gatland doesn't like his more mercurial instinctiveness, he'd still manage to free up one of Gatland's big wings or Roberts probably better than any alternative - as he presents his own significant threat whilst doing so.  Opponents would have to be alive to his ability to slice through a defence every bit as much as who he might release.

I can't really understand Gatland keeping Hook off the side, but I've seen over the years that many Welsh fans seem to share his instincts...so my opinion is worthless.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 19:28

I honestly think fans forget pretty quickly that he has changed games for us and remember a few howlers that cost us, in addition his continued presence on the bench without getting game time undermines his profile as a player of any worth to the 'game plan' - i use that word loosely as i don't think we have one, it;s style of rugby that Gtaland employs on the basis that we should play our own game, but it can be hacked

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 19:38

Not denying he has changed games but its also not just Gatland who doesn't see Hook as first choice. Previous club and country coaches have selected him in various positions so they can't all be wrong can they?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:25

Jhamer25 wrote:haha, so Scott, John, Beck, Owen, Allen ans Dixon are all out injured.  Rolling Eyes 

Gatland will put North in center I think though i would like to see Hook I don't think it's going to happen.

No Davies will be back with Roberts

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:27

Davies is injured.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:28

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not denying he has changed games but its also not just Gatland who doesn't see Hook as first choice.  Previous club and country coaches have selected him in various positions so they can't all be wrong can they?

Problem with his versatility is he becomes a fill in, can play 10, 13 and 15…not many other backs i can think of can do that

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:29

Good to hear Charteris is fit though

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:35

It will be North, which isn't a terrible prospect. But if i was Hook i would be seriously p1ssed.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 20:37

for f sake !!!!!! hook is not a genuine first or second choice in any of the positions he is supposed to be on the bench covering. lets be realistic and stick to facts. hook has not ,at any level, in any club, here and in the club he plays for usap, been able to hold on to the 10. shirt.

he has been tried at club and internationally at centre, failed to keep the shirt.
fullback internationally has been an absolute disaster. he is now third choice 10 at usap, and some posters want him at 10 for wales !!!!!

barry john this weekend said they must find a place for hook (why?) he then said biggar at 10, halfp wing , north centre. which leaves hook full back. omg. why has barry john stuck his neck out for that one !!!!

the whole of france know hooks play at full back for usap, and will be welcoming him with open arms. catch this one sonny, and try to stay on your feet for more than one bambi shuffle.!!!!!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:16

gavstar wrote:for f sake !!!!!! hook is not a genuine  first or second choice in any of the positions he is supposed to be on the bench covering.  lets be realistic and stick to facts. hook has not ,at any level, in any club, here and in the club he plays for usap, been able to hold on to the 10. shirt.

he has been tried at club and internationally at centre, failed to keep the shirt.
fullback internationally has been an absolute disaster. he is now third choice 10 at usap, and some posters want him at 10 for wales !!!!!

barry john this weekend said they must find a place for hook (why?)  he then said biggar at 10, halfp wing , north centre.    which leaves hook full back. omg. why has barry john stuck his neck out for that one !!!!

the whole of france know hooks play at full back for usap, and will be welcoming him with open arms. catch this one sonny, and try to stay on your feet for more than one bambi shuffle.!!!!!

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap 

Plus John is a terrible journo, after the Irish game he suggested that it be likely now that Gethin Jenkins retires.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:26

Hook is doing great in France, unlike Gethin, Mike Phillips, and some others who are failing to cut it. He always starts - sometimes at 10 this season, but mostly at 15 - and has even captained Perp on a couple of occasions. His new contract will allow him to see out his career there, where he is appreciated.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:29

SD,

Not saying he's not doing well and good luck to him but you said yourself sometimes at 10 but mostly at XV so all this clamour that Hook must pay 10 for us is rubbish as he can't tie down the 10 shirt for his club and its not just Gatland who thinks that.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:30

samuraidragon wrote:Hook is doing great in France, unlike Gethin, Mike Phillips, and some others who are failing to cut it. He always starts - sometimes at 10 this season, but mostly at 15 - and has even captained Perp on a couple of occasions. His new contract will allow him to see out his career there, where he is appreciated.

He has been in good form this season.

Most of those deriding his relevance have not been watching the top 14. We are lucky to have a player who can cover so many backline positions so well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:32

bedfordwelsh wrote:SD,

Not saying he's not doing well and good luck to him but you said yourself sometimes at 10 but mostly at XV so all this clamour that Hook must pay 10 for us is rubbish as he can't tie down the 10 shirt for his club and its not just Gatland who thinks that.

He is at fullback because USAP get more cash for playing their young French flyhalf. Plus USAP have limited fullback options.

He is also playing very well at fullback.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:39

Again not denying it but if he was a world class 10 like some say then trust me he would be playing 10 like Carter did.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:46

Surprised at the flak Gethin Jenkins keeps receiving. It's not his fault he is getting injured, I guess that's what happens when you put your body on the line; and that's something a fair Wales guys haven't been doing. We really missed Jenkins against Italy. The previous season he had Castro in his back pocket all game. James (so I've been told) is the LH with the highest penalty count in the Premiership. All he does in Wales colours is give away penalties in the scrum. PJ being the better scrummager always has been and always will be a terrible rumour.

Not going to bother picking a team, but backline I would like to see: Rh.Williams, Biggar, L.Williams, Roberts, North, Cuthbert, Halfpenny. Reps: Phillips, Priest, Hook.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 21:53

I would not start with Gethin Jenkins, or Sam Warburton but i would have them both on the bench.

Biggar in for Priestland, should Priestland be on the bench? not sure about that. Hook, would drop him from the squad for this game any way.

Phillips, in my opinion should be asked nicely to retire from the international game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 22:15

maestegmafia wrote:Good to hear Charteris is fit though

It is good to have Luke back becuase he might be able to help in the line out (even though he didn't in the Italian game)

However,anyone think that Ball would be worth a shot. The French pack are very big, direct and it's clear what they are going to do. I think ball will help bring that size and Physicality that we lacked against Ireland and fresh new face might be a fresh of breath air for the forwards. We don't need wholesale changes but the introduction of a few faces like Webb, Hook and Ball might help freshen the team up a little.

Yes Samson Lee is the rock at our scrum down the Scarlet's but Jake is also a big factor to that. I think he can bring that bit more come scrum time as well, he's seems like a good scrummaging lock. A lot will disagree but he can match the french physically and adds that extra in the scrum.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 22:28

I honestly think Team Wales could be in for a long evening on Friday. I am not suggesting he would be the solution to our centre problem, but Pat Leach should've made the initial squad form wise. It was absolute lunacy leaving ourselves so short of cover. People say I'm wrong to say about Leach, but how can you tell how good a player is unless Cement Head takes a look at them in training?

Good that Henson played well for Baff last week, but he should be playing in Wales now and maybe he'd have a better shot at getting called up instead of playing second string rugby (generally for Baff). I'm not so sure we will sign him now. Didn't Kingsley say we need to cut more players first on scrum v last night (or certainly on the radio show Friday?

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Mon 17 Feb 2014 - 23:05

Jhamer25 wrote:

It is good to have Luke back becuase he might be able to help in the line out (even though he didn't in the Italian game)

However,anyone think that Ball would be worth a shot. The French pack are very big, direct and it's clear what they are going to do. I think ball will help bring that size and Physicality that we lacked against Ireland and fresh new face might be a fresh of breath air for the forwards. We don't need wholesale changes but the introduction of a few faces like Webb, Hook and Ball might help freshen the team up a little.

Yes Samson Lee is the rock at our scrum down the Scarlet's but Jake is also a big factor to that. I think he can bring that bit more come scrum time as well, he's seems like a good scrummaging lock. A lot will disagree but he can match the french physically and adds that extra in the scrum.

I agree Jake Ball looks good, would love to see him start. He should certainly leap frog Coombs.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 7:42

Scratch wrote:me too….is owen williams an option, if not i guess it will be north…….or hook?

I want Warren Gatland to call up Owen Williams, or another WQ centre option, to the Welsh camp today, because Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams and Ashley Beck are unavailable for Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26231026

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 8:59

Norfolklass wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

I agree Jake Ball looks good, would love to see him start. He should certainly leap frog Coombs.

Coombs has been consistent in every game game he has played, I'm not sure why people are marking him out? He was the only decent forward on the pitch against Ireland.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 9:07

Team Wales!

Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 9:26

Because people (much like Gatland) are pretty ignorant when it comes to players (in Wales) playing East of Cardiff.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 12:02; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 9:43

True dat.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 10:42

Caught that.

Please don't Risca. It's a phrase I detest. Team UK, Team Wales, Team USA; we even have a charity marathon running group near me that's called after the guy who started it - Team (Surname)

God!!!! stop it, all of you! Wink .... it's such a marketing/PR created internet-generation concept it practically oozes plastic.. and shallowness.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 10:49

SecretFly wrote:Caught that.  

Please don't Risca.  It's a phrase I detest.  Team UK, Team Wales, Team USA; we even have a charity marathon running group near me that's called after the guy who started it - Team (Surname)  

God!!!! stop it, all of you! Wink....  it's such a marketing/PR created internet-generation concept it practically oozes plastic.. and shallowness.

Agreed
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 10:56

Big win for Wales coming here. Sorry France.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:06

Team France!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:19

Fly, to be honest Tea Wales is generally used by Welsh posters as a real urine take at how PR-driven the national team is, a bit like Brand Haskell is a wee-wee take too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:24

How did Team WRUburton play at the weekend?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:25

munkian wrote:Coombs has been consistent in every game game he has played, I'm not sure why people are marking him out? He was the only decent forward on the pitch against Ireland.

To be honest I would move Coombs to blindside flanker, and have ball in the second row. That way we get Ball's grunt in the scrum, and abrasive edge at rucks, and still keep Coombs' hard edge too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:30

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Fly, to be honest Tea Wales is generally used by Welsh posters as a real urine take at how PR-driven the national team is, a bit like Brand Haskell is a wee-wee take too.

Oh so it's heavy irony? Oh that's okay then... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:41

Scrumpy wrote:How did Team WRUburton play at the weekend?

I expected a bit more at the WRUcks.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 11:47

I can't see past Gatland picking AWJ and Longdog in the 2nd row
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 12:26

munkian wrote:I can't see past Gatland picking AWJ and Longdog in the 2nd row

Whilst it would be a bit harsh on Coombs I agree and for they are our best pairing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 18 Feb 2014 - 12:55

Only changes I see realistically from Gatland are:

Charteris for Coombs
North to 13
L.Williams to wing

Only different changes I'd make would be:

Biggar at 10
Webb at 9
Hook to 13 (played very well there around 2009 with Roberts)
Tipuric for Warbs

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next