The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014

+44
Biltong
geoff998rugby
Sin é
Gretgael1
sportform
alive555
doctor_grey
Thomond
The Saint
asoreleftshoulder
Nachos Jones
majesticimperialman
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
Engine#4
whocares
GunsGerms
wrfc1980
san
Cyril
Feckless Rogue
dragonbreath
KiaRose
Metal Tiger
HammerofThunor
TJ
RugbyFan182
geoff999rugby
fa0019
tomhughesnice
gregortree
Golden
overlordofthewest
8Studs
Mickado
lostinwales
Scrumpy
SecretFly
westisbest
GoodinTightSpaces
rodders
Notch
GloriousEmpire
Scratch
48 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014 - Page 3 Empty Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014

Post by Scratch Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Having beaten the Champions 2 years in a row, and this year in a manner that sets Wales back further than they have been since 2009, I am quietly confident Ireland will win a Grand Slam this year and certain they will win the tournament. While most of the chat has been about Wales defense, England being on target for yet another Grand Slam, Scotland dissembling and France being, well, French, Ireland have been quietly going about their business, almost beating NZ and now dismantling Wales. This defeat is proof perfect that Gatland's Lions ambitions have directly affected Wales progress.

In Schmidt Ireland have found a tactician as much as a coach who clearly has his players full support and belief, and his game plan was so beautifully executed by a side that looks more cohesive and hungry than any other side in the competition. Unlike Wales, who have no game plan but a style, Ireland prove they can be versatile and i don't think i have ever seen a side play to their strengths and expose the opposition's weaknesses as much as they did last week.

The key to victory is POC and Sexton. The former is the foundation of a dogged tight five and Sexton is fast becoming a world class 10. I expect Ireland and England to be a humdinger of a forward battle, if Ireland try and maul England they may well come up 2nd best, but i expect Schmidt to try and expose the English wings as he did against Wales and the Irish set piece will more than manage the English. It will be close but as long as Sexton functions and marshals the game as he has done so far, i just don't think the English will live with them Twixenham or not.

As for France, if Ireland beat England their momentum and confidence will be unstoppable. In Fofana France have the standout back in Europe but i think Ireland's intelligence and leadership is so strong that they will again edge it in a tight game. The French pack is prone to being snuffed out if they do not get their way and Ireland - who have the most cohesive back division - will clearly not make the same mistakes England did.

So it's a huge call in a year when nobody believed a Slam was on but for me Ireland are now the team to beat. Some farewell for BOD.

Last edited by Scratch on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Feb 2014, 6:07 pm

Only Gatlandball wins championships. I suggest you find some bigger backline players to help you execute that strategy Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm

Subsection 3.4. Just keep your eyes open for that Saint Wink It's a comin' - Schmidt says he was keeping that bit for Italy but now he thinks he'll unwrap it earlier and serve it to England.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:38 pm

It's almost like Leinster didn't play the most adventurous attacking rugby in Europe over a period of several years to listen to comments on here!

We'll broaden the repertoire slowly and surely, but I think any revolution in how we attack is going to have to wait until we blood new centres at 12 and 13.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

Notch wrote:It's almost like Leinster didn't play the most adventurous attacking rugby in Europe over a period of several years to listen to comments on here!

I thought that was Ulster....

Who cares about an Irish Grand Slam 2014 - Page 3 1347041234 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:50 pm

No, we play how I like a team to play. Lots of rolling maul, smart tactical kicking, massive nous at the breakdown and multiple phases. It's a bit like Ireland really Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:53 pm

Anscombeball.....

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:55 pm

It's like a synthesis of Schmidtball and GertSmalBall- one ball to rule them all, one ball to find them. One ball to rule them all and in the Pro12 grind 'em!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

Laugh 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:04 pm

I almost think that people don't realise that this is the same Joe Schmidt that coached Leinster to 3 European titles with some of the best passing and adventurous rugby that we've seen in years. He's been now typecast as a coach that likes to kick the leather off the ball after 2 games in the 6 nations.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm

Saint is just being mischevious
As for the other International watchers who don't take in much club rugby in a year.... let them go ahead and think Schmidt is a slave to the SA way Wink I'd like that feeling to grow. We won't be doing any fancy stuff much through this 6N I'd suspect - so there'll be plenty of opportunity to have that belief solidified.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:12 am

Gretgael1 wrote:I almost think that people don't realise that this is the same Joe Schmidt that coached Leinster to 3 European titles with some of the best passing and adventurous rugby that we've seen in years. He's been now typecast as a coach that likes to kick the leather off the ball after 2 games in the 6 nations.

No Nacewa in the Irish back line!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 18 Feb 2014, 8:40 am

Sin é wrote:
Gretgael1 wrote:I almost think that people don't realise that this is the same Joe Schmidt that coached Leinster to 3 European titles with some of the best passing and adventurous rugby that we've seen in years. He's been now typecast as a coach that likes to kick the leather off the ball after 2 games in the 6 nations.

yes because everyone knows a winger is the key to a good passing game

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 18 Feb 2014, 8:48 am

The Saint wrote:Ireland are certainly a good bet for winning the championship after their two opening games, though they won't win it playing Schmidtball!

Anybody who thinks the game plan used to beat Wales, comfortably, is the way Ireland will play going forward doesn't know Joe Schmidt way of thinking.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:30 am

Sin é wrote:

Nacewa was the icing on the cake already lush with fruit, Sin Wink 
He was almost the luxury extra that we could afford to be without; but because of the Dublin 4 sensibility of the team, wouldn't want to be seen without - the Rolex if you will... the birrah ostentation and glitter!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:44 am

I think we are playing to our strengths -  Schmidt is a pragmatist and also it takes time to gel and create attacking systems.

Leinsters attacking play was built on solid foundations - a solid set piece, strong contact and breakdown skills - Ireland didn't have these foundations.

The way this team play will evolve but you can't play attacking rugby with no lineout, a dodgy scrum and slow ruck ball, this is something the previous coaching team didn't understand.  

The aspiration to move the ball is one thing but if you don't have the skills to create space or utilise it - whether its via a rolling mall, cross field kick or backline move then you're not going to win many games.

Plumtree was brought in to sort the forwards out as this was identified as the weak link - as this aspect improves, and its work in progress, I think we'll see there is much more to come but the reality is winning the 6N is very much about playing in poor conditions and grinding out wins.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:37 am

rodders wrote:I think we are playing to our strengths -  Schmidt is a pragmatist and also it takes time to gel and create attacking systems.

Leinsters attacking play was built on solid foundations - a solid set piece, strong contact and breakdown skills - Ireland didn't have these foundations.

The way this team play will evolve but you can't play attacking rugby with no lineout, a dodgy scrum and slow ruck ball, this is something the previous coaching team didn't understand.  

The aspiration to move the ball is one thing but if you don't have the skills to create space or utilise it - whether its via a rolling mall, cross field kick or backline move then you're not going to win many games.

Plumtree was brought in to sort the forwards out as this was identified as the weak link - as this aspect improves, and its work in progress, I think we'll see there is much more to come but the reality is winning the 6N is very much about playing in poor conditions and grinding out wins.

Rodders, great assessment of where we are at the moment, I would wholeheartedly agree.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:39 am

thumbsup 
Gretgael1 wrote:
rodders wrote:I think we are playing to our strengths -  Schmidt is a pragmatist and also it takes time to gel and create attacking systems.

Rodders, great assessment  of where we are at the moment, I would wholeheartedly agree.

i agree. good post rodders

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 24 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm

Thank f%^& this thread worked

Wales to win on PD now

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 24 Feb 2014, 8:38 pm

Scratch wrote:FFS everyone, I KNOW they are going to win a GS. Get you money down now!

This was probably the pick

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 24 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Scratch wrote:FFS everyone, I KNOW they are going to win a GS. Get you money down now!

This was probably the pick

Talking rubbish again, worked nicely though!! kiss 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 6:59 pm

England spoiled your party, but in the end you spoil theirs. There is always some poetry in rugby.

Well done ireland, hugely DESERVED championship.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

They deserved the win today.

Fitting the best 2 teams in the NH finish 1 and 2 in table. If any other team were going to win the 6N apart from England I'd want it to be Ireland.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:06 pm

The best two teams!!  Laugh Laugh Laugh 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:13 pm

The table doesn't lie Scratch.

See Wales snuck in at 3rd, decent effort.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:16 pm

2nd yet again Pooly, poor effort!! kiss 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:17 pm

Sgt, do you think we'll be hearing how England have won another moral Grand Slam after their most recent moral win being in 2012? I'm suspicious as some of you lot have been dismissing the loss against France since week 1.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm

Saint, you went VERY quiet after last weekend.

I'm glad you've got your web access sorted again. That's twice it's gone down this championship. Frustrating, eh?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:19 pm

The Saint wrote:Sgt, do you think we'll be hearing how England have won another moral Grand Slam after their most recent moral win being in 2012? I'm suspicious as some of you lot have been dismissing the loss against France since week 1.

The Moral 6 Nations Championship....it has a ring to it i must say.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:19 pm

Yeah it is pretty frustrating having to put up with anti-welshness on here. It's like Martin Luther-King all over again.

Last edited by The Saint on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:20 pm

Scratch wrote:
The Saint wrote:Sgt, do you think we'll be hearing how England have won another moral Grand Slam after their most recent moral win being in 2012? I'm suspicious as some of you lot have been dismissing the loss against France since week 1.

Welsh clean sweep since 2000 Very Happy 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

I'd prefer 2nd to 3rd but I see your point.

Beating Ireland and destroying Wales is a good 6N, not perfect but good.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:22 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:They deserved the win today.

Fitting the best 2 teams in the NH finish 1 and 2 in table. If any other team were going to win the 6N apart from England I'd want it to be Ireland.

Ditto

Thumbs up for the positive rugby played by both Ireland and England this term, that's what fans want to see and not just a goal kicker improving his stats
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:23 pm

Cyril wrote:
Scratch wrote:

No we only won the Slam, Triple Crown and Championship on 4 occasions, rest of the time we just settle for the Moral trophy which has a big '2nd' engraved on it.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:They deserved the win today.

Ditto

Thumbs up for the positive rugby played by both Ireland and England this term, that's what fans want to see and not just a goal kicker improving his stats

Doh 

Did Half kick any points today Scrumpy?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

TBH I prefer 1st or nothing and most recently we've been mostly tasting 1st place Smile. Guess it was nice for us both to end the weekend with a big win, albeit against poor teams. I wouldn't say you destroyed Wales either, morally you may have but in reality it was a decent enough win. Something like 30-3 is more of a 'destroyer' victory.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

Scratch wrote:
Cyril wrote:
Scratch wrote:

No we only won the Slam, Triple Crown and Championship on 4 occasions, rest of the time we just settle for the Moral trophy which has a big '2nd' engraved on it.

Yeah, you were pretty good in the 70s too. Well done! Very Happy 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:26 pm

The Saint wrote:TBH I prefer 1st or nothing and most recently we've been mostly tasting 1st place Smile. Guess it was nice for us both to end the weekend with a big win, albeit against poor teams. I wouldn't say you destroyed Wales either, morally you may have but in reality it was a decent enough win. Something like 30-3 is more of a 'destroyer' victory.
Welcome back Saint. Good to have you posting again after nearly a week off.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

The Saint wrote:TBH I prefer 1st or nothing and most recently we've been mostly tasting 1st place Smile. Guess it was nice for us both to end the weekend with a big win, albeit against poor teams. I wouldn't say you destroyed Wales either, morally you may have but in reality it was a decent enough win. Something like 30-3 is more of a 'destroyer' victory.

Really? So if you don't win the competition you don't care about the other games? That's pretty bad attitude. Personally I'd rather win as many games as possible. If the competition comes from it then grand. If there was a better team so be it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

Look who cares about England and Wales, this is an irish story.

You couldn'T write it better

Hat trick in 2000 for a first win in 40 years, retires in Paris and wins Championship

It's a Boy's Own story!!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

Lets not take this off topic Scratch, well done Ireland, Schmidt is moulding them well. I thought their scrum and breakdown work was top notch today.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:28 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:

Really? So if you don't win the competition you don't care about the other games? That's pretty bad attitude. Personally I'd rather win as many games as possible. If the competition comes from it then grand. If there was a better team so be it.

I'm just saying most rugby fans don't celebrate 2nd place.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:30 pm

The Saint wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I know some that do...... Run 

Anyway, do we think BOD is crying into his champers right now? Legend  Bubbly 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:36 pm

The Saint wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I celebrate 4 wins out 5. Certainly better than 3 out of 5, 2 out of 5, 1 out of 5 or 0 out of 5. But clearly not as good as 5 out of 5.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:40 pm

Scratch wrote:
The Saint wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I know Some that celebrate 4th!

England had their chances vs France, and then Scotland. Today was always going to be a big ask.

Well done Ireland very deserving winners, apart Cain Healy! Won't be long before he is cited.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:44 pm

You can have another year of celebrating 4 wins from 5 AKA 2nd place if you like, but personally I'm a bit disappointed with not managing to take 1st place. Still, I think it was good Ireland on the championship because of:
A. England have some of the most ungracious fans going and would have killed this site had England won.
B. BOD didn't deserve anything less for his services to Rugby.

England were a little closer this year so they've improved. That could stagnate/go backwards given the inevitable squad rotation for the NZ tour.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Scratch wrote:
The Saint wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I know Some that celebrate 4th!

England had their chances vs Franc, and then Scotland. Today was always going to be a big ask.

Well done Ireland very deserving winners, apart Cain Healy! Won't be long before he is cited.

Scrumpy, i would rather win numerous championships and grand slams then have a dip, than take solace in coming 2nd..... but that is just a eccentric personal foible and i understand why others prefer consistent performance over actual results in the tournament.

Ireland only looked bad for 20 minutes v England and that cost them the SLam i predicted after week 1 so there is some justice in this result

England are by far most improved, Ireland most dogged, Wales most confusing, France most inconsistent, Scotland most worrying and Italy most disappointing.

A great tournament

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

The Saint wrote:You can have another year of celebrating 4 wins from 5 AKA 2nd place if you like, but personally I'm a bit disappointed with not managing to take 1st place. Still, I think it was good Ireland on the championship because of:
A. England have some of the most ungracious fans going and would have killed this site had England won.
B. BOD didn't deserve anything less for his services to Rugby.

England were a little closer this year so they've improved. That could stagnate/go backwards given the inevitable squad rotation for the NZ tour.

Hey Saint come on, lets not go OTT

You have been noticably absent for some time and to pop up now and do this is  censored 

Its all over lets all be friends eh?!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

Name those fans saint, as all the England fans comments I've seen have said well done Ireland!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:53 pm

Let me remind the Welsh and English postwrs, this is about Ireland the Champions and not a boobie for tat debate between the two of you.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:09 pm

Well said Bil
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next